• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GameCube Adapter is...

Oldbag

Smash Cadet
a bad idea, the console should have come with the ability to play GameCube games, now I have to get the game + a 60$ Controller+Adapter (current controllers are broken) and a 12$ Amiibo, not to mention get a new Pro Controller for 30$, am I the only one to think this is hugely overprieced and not fair? Nintendo is seriously always like this and I hate it. I might just skip out on the game entirely just because I can't afford to get the best experience.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
I'm pretty sure nintendo didn't realize how perfect the gamecube controller is,
so they discontinued it for the wii u. I'm happy we'll be able to use it period,
i just better be able to connect my wireless gamecube controller to it,
theres no way that a gamecube control wire and reach where i sit.

R0Y

Smash Master
GameCube ports weren't free and were actually removed from later Wii's (Family Edition.)

GLStephen

Smash Cadet
The fact that we got the adapter at all was pretty surprising, and your expectations are honestly completely unreasonable.

Raijinken

Smash Master
A lack of reverse compatibility is a valid complaint, but I'm just glad they're fixing the flaw by releasing and officially supporting the adapter.

But if you think all of that is too much to play it, well, I'd just suggest looking at the GCN Controller and adapter as one extra game worth of money (which is approximately correct). And I, at least, would have paid double price for any Smash game compared to almost any other game on any other console.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
The fact that we got the adapter at all was pretty surprising, and your expectations are honestly completely unreasonable.
Pretty sure that's common by now within the gaming community.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
it makes sense, as you can't play gamecube games on the WiiU anyway. Wouldn't make sense to have ports.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Being backwards compatible 2 generations ago is a very new and absurd thing to expect.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I think you're confusing "have to get" and "want to get."
Really, to get the best experience you should purchase every amiibo. That's not practical, however.

Who's to say the Gamepad won't offer the best experience? The game, after all, was built with the Gamepad in mind.

I find myself at odds, too, on this very subject. I want to get the GCN adapter. It's cheap. The Gamecube controller is probably my favorite controller. However, it's a practicality issue. I don't have long gaming sessions any longer and the Gamepad will be easier to pick-up-and-play.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
a bad idea, the console should have come with the ability to play GameCube games, now I have to get the game + a 60$ Controller+Adapter (current controllers are broken) and a 12$ Amiibo, not to mention get a new Pro Controller for 30$, am I the only one to think this is hugely overprieced and not fair? Nintendo is seriously always like this and I hate it. I might just skip out on the game entirely just because I can't afford to get the best experience.
To be fair you don't HAVE to get the adapter, you just want to, and amiibo's are even less important. The only thing you need to get to play the game is the actual game and one of the controllers, which is standard for all console games. If anything I've noticed Nintendo is way better than most companies in terms of costs, consoles are usually less expensive, and DLC is almost always fairly priced unlike many companies who hold back content on purpose to sell to you for $20+

shapular

Smash Ace
Backwards compatibility isn't a given for any console, and costs money to add in. Gamecube ports would completely change the design of the console. It would just make the Wii U more expensive than it is now, for something unnecessary. There are plenty of other viable control options. Besides that, I think the new "Wired Fight Pad" (pretty much a GCN controller) they're coming out with maybe have USB connections, although I haven't been able to find any information about that.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
you don't have to get any of these items. Everything you need to play the game is the one controller that comes with the console and additional controllers that you can buy if you need them, this has alway been the case (and seems fair to me). If the wii u would be able to play gamecube games, the console itself would be more expensive, then some people would complain how they don't want to pay for a feature (playing gamecube games) they don't need. You can't always satisfy everyone. Be grateful that nintendo is giving you options.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I might just skip out on the game entirely just because I can't afford to get the best experience.
Alright see you later.

Even though I'll still most likely play with the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo, I'm going to buy the new GCN controller anyways even if I don't use it. It's so perfect, especially now that they revamped certain inputs on the pad. Ah, I just can't stop thinking about it. :love:

And as much as I really like the Amiibo's, I can see myself passing on them (for now) if I really need to. Not sure I understand why you still need to buy a pro controller in the mix.

You can get a used, like-new condition GCN pad for 5-10 bucks if you really need it. You're making this game sound expensive where it's really not. Smash is an amazing value.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Backwards compatibility isn't a given for any console, and costs money to add in. Gamecube ports would completely change the design of the console. It would just make the Wii U more expensive than it is now, for something unnecessary. There are plenty of other viable control options. Besides that, I think the new "Wired Fight Pad" (pretty much a GCN controller) they're coming out with maybe have USB connections, although I haven't been able to find any information about that.
You can find them at Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-fight-pad-controller-mario/115420
They're $25, come in three different varieties (Mario, Yoshi, Peach), they hook into the Wii remote (like a nunchuk), and it looks like the D-pad and analog sticks are more akin to the Gamepad than the GameCube.

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
I understand the argument, but I can't complain about shelling out extra for my preferred control scheme considering it's a controller from 2 generations ago. People get mad about Nintendo getting praise for stuff it should've already done/ never done and rightly so; but supporting a controller from 2001 in 2014 so that Smash fans don't have to learn to use a new scheme is nice. Credit where it's due from me at least.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1. The controller and the adapter don't cost $60 (at least I don't think)
2. 'Overpriced'? Welcome to the gaming world. :p
But seriously, I wouldn't say it costs that much. It costs a fair amount of money IMO.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I just wish ALL games were compatible with the GC Controller or Pro Controller... Once I get used to the Gamepad it's fine and dandy but I liked the GC Contoller because it was very light, extremely ergonomic, and cool looking.

On the other hand, I was very happy to find that Windwaker HD was controller compatible but disappointed with the fact that I had to keep pausing the game to see the map. Switching to the GP allowed me to use everything without pausing at all. So I do give the GP many props... just some games NEED a controller.

Question though, why would someone buy the GC adapter and GC contoller when they can just buy this for the Wii U?

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
ITT: Oldbag rages about how miserably unfair life is.

OK, time to get serious. Sorry, TC. Your name just left you too open for me not to use that gif and Phoenix Wright reference. I do see your point, but I don't agree with complaining over things that are entirely optional. If you want toppings on your pizza, you generally have to pay extra--that's just how the world works.

Last edited:

linszoid

Smash Cadet
I just wish ALL games were compatible with the GC Controller or Pro Controller... Once I get used to the Gamepad it's fine and dandy but I liked the GC Contoller because it was very light, extremely ergonomic, and cool looking.

On the other hand, I was very happy to find that Windwaker HD was controller compatible but disappointed with the fact that I had to keep pausing the game to see the map. Switching to the GP allowed me to use everything without pausing at all. So I do give the GP many props... just some games NEED a controller.

Question though, why would someone buy the GC adapter and GC contoller when they can just buy this for the Wii U?
Cuz 3rd party controllers are hit and miss.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Cuz 3rd party controllers are hit and miss.
plus it plugs into the Wii Remote, which is a problem for a few reason:
a) more input lag (wouldn't bother a majority of mash players however)
b) the jack you plug into the wii will get worn out, as one of my Wii Remote doesn't work with a nun-chuck well.
And like you aid, third party i hit-and-miss. I actually have a third party wii remote that inputs the move half a second or longer after I press the button.

Last edited:

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Yet the Xbox One and Ps4 can't even play Ps3 or Xbox 360 discs.... Sound whiny to me. Amiibo's are not required, and you only need ONE controller. Why get a pro controller AND the adapter? Just settle for one and deal with it. $120 is a big chunk of change, but you had fair warning (Plus christmas) to get the money for what you want. If you can't save the money then go out and get a wii pro controller and then settle without the Gamecube adapter/controller. Then when you get the money you can choose to get the Gamecube IF you need it.
Tldr~ Don't whine, Nintendo needs money, they are offering you options they are not forcing you to have to buy a specific controller. Amiibo's entirely NOT REQUIRED AT ALL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

So the moral of this story is that luxury digital entertainment costs money, something not even close to a necessity in life meant to provide near thousands of hours of quality fun, costs money.

Last edited by a moderator:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Official Nintendo products are the BEST products.
True I'll give you that, but why not just settle for a Pro Controller then? It's seeming like the GC Controller and adapter is literally only for Smash Bros... I'd be much more all over it if it had the compatibility that the Pro Controller has.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
True I'll give you that, but why not just settle for a Pro Controller then? It's seeming like the GC Controller and adapter is literally only for Smash Bros... I'd be much more all over it if it had the compatibility that the Pro Controller has.
Well I understand getting third-party hardware is still fine, cheaper, functional and not a problem. This is the GCN controller we're talking about here, though. While Nintendo is still the best, my care level is probably low if I were to use a Nyko Wiimote or something.

.........buh GameCube????? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii- :roll:

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
OP is terribly misinformed if he/she believes he/she has to get an adapter, a controller, &... an amiibo

don't wanna shell out the money for a gamecube controller adapter & controller? then use one of the other zillion methods to play smash. mad that the wii u can't support gamecube emulation? then I dunno what to tell you, technology isn't there yet where a console can go back past 1 generation for backward compatibility & it's not cost effective (see the ps3 models that had ps2 backwards compatibility for instance). This is the best route nintendo could've gone. I'm in no situation to spend money all willy nilly, but I have zero complaints about shelling out some extra cash to be able to play smash in my most preferred method for the next 6 or so years.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
nah the GC controller has been confirmed to work for multiple games. I think Amazon stated that.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
You should be grateful we even HAVE backwards compatibility, while Sony and Microsoft do not offer this with their new consoles.

Nintendo's the only one giving us the ability to play previous games that go back a whole generation.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'd say its mighty cheap considerin the minimum 400 hours of entertainment yer gonna get outta this game. Like, people pay 8 bucks to watch a movie for 2 hours, or 50 bucks for a new game that'll last 10 hours. Not to mention large sums spent on copious amounts of junk food
Think of it as an investment.

I have a feelin that the gamepad controller will grow on ya tho.
Dang shame that Gamepad's, Pro controllers and such'll probably be banned from tourneys. I feel like the design of the pro controller would be better suited for high level smash play. Why couldn't they have made a wired pro controller!?!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I have a feelin that the gamepad controller will grow on ya tho.
Dang shame that Gamepad's, Pro controllers and such'll probably be banned from tourneys. I feel like the design of the pro controller would be better suited for high level smash play. Why couldn't they have made a wired pro controller!?!
I'd hafta disagree about the pro controllers getting banned. The only reason I see the Gamepad style being banned is because only one person can play it per console. The Wii U Pro Controller is simply a matter of hitting sync on the console and sync on the controller and you've got a port. All that'd need to be done is to enforce that you desync when you're done so that the next person that comes along that plays Wii U Pro/Nunchuck/Classic/whatever doesn't hafta worry about crossup issues.

Worked in Brawl at least with all the controllers and Wiimote/Classic/Nunchuck combos going around. Granted we'll all be using gamecube controllers I imagine.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm seriously let down by the price of amiibos, and the whole amiibo thing in general. I really feel like I'm gonna miss out on a big feature of the game, but I'm sure that once I get my hand on it I'll just be playing stock, no items, battlefield like always.

I'd hafta disagree about the pro controllers getting banned. The only reason I see the Gamepad style being banned is because only one person can play it per console. The Wii U Pro Controller is simply a matter of hitting sync on the console and sync on the controller and you've got a port. All that'd need to be done is to enforce that you desync when you're done so that the next person that comes along that plays Wii U Pro/Nunchuck/Classic/whatever doesn't hafta worry about crossup issues.

Worked in Brawl at least with all the controllers and Wiimote/Classic/Nunchuck combos going around. Granted we'll all be using gamecube controllers I imagine.
V My long off topic reply V

Oh!?! I've been wonderin bout this for awhile! Did you attend an event with 50+ wiimotes in close proximity? I've only ever seen 16 wiimotes in 1 room all playing smash bros and my untrained eye didn't notice the game being unresponsive or anything as I was playing. I haven't been able to find a study on the effects of wireless interference at tourneys.

I've always wondered if the issue people had with bringin the wireless controllers at tourneys was related to the slight lag of wireless that isn't present in wired, or if the wireless interfere with eachother or if its just the fact that the gamecube controller has an undeniable advantage over the one-sticked wiimote+chuck.

I mean, surely wireless tech has evolved enough that the new model wii u pro controllers shouldn't have any interference with eachother. I mean, its not like with the GC Wavebird, 4 controllers would interfere with eachother as it was restricted to 16 radio channels, and even then, channels that were too close could cause an interference, pretty much leaving ya with the 4 channels, 1, 5, 9, 13. But then the wiimotes came along and magically don't interfere with eachother except according to self reports. The wavebirds should definitely be banned but I've never seen any problems with wiimotes interfering with eachother.

Besides, why should the people who use gamecube controllers complain, I mean, if the wiimotes do interfere with eachother it pretty much guarantees that they'll always win right?

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well, it's not like the Wii U could play GameCube games with GameCube Controller Ports. They'd still need Memory Card ports and most importantly a different disc drive in the system that would significantly increase the price of the system. I do think that Nintendo could've come out with a Memory Card > USB storage adapter like Sony did for PS3, but this is Nintendo, after all.

Top Bottom