• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The game keeps giving the other player advantages on for glory

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It's really getting annoying now. It doesn't matter how better or worse I am compared to them. It doesn't matter whether the opponent is using a higher tier or lower tier character than me. I always lose. Literatatly, it can be a noob playing, who can barly play the game, but the game advantages the noob and I lose. Ad it doesn't go vice versa if the opponent is better than me. What the heck?????

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
What "advantages" are the other players being given? For Glory stages are symmetrical, platformless (this just favors certain characters over others), and Kirby is able to go under every open-bottomed Omega.

Tiers refer to the characters at large. The placing of characters in tier lists is based upon their potential in high-level play, tournament results, and their various matchups. I have a positive win record against some stronger characters like Villager, and a negative win record against "weaker" characters like Little Mac. Just because I can beat Villagers doesn't mean Robin is suddenly a better character than Villager.

If you are struggling to score KOs, note that Rage will make certain moves kill earlier than they normally would, and depending on what moves you're using, staleness might come into play, and your kill moves won't be as effective as they normally are.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Then again, you are playing against another human being, not a coded cpu or against some sort of RNG that magically makes the other player better. It all falls back on you. Just remember:

You will always lose to shields.
You will always lose to shield grabs.
You will always lose to rolling.
You will always lose to Lil Mac.
Always. /s

Last edited:

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
please explain because if your truly better for the most part you wont lose (unless you make dumb mistakes like running into a smash that takes your stock or SD which i admit ill do from time to time XD )

as stated for glory is FD so it can be pretty balanced (some characters like FD more than Battlefield but not enough that its a guaranteed win). and as kirby im assuming to be your main you have a pretty nice offstage game so you can gimp people from comming back if their recovery is weak.

dont blame some fake "advantages" for you being outplayed chalk it up as an L learn from it and get better if you just complain like you are now chances are you will do worse making dumber mistakes and in the end not learning anything. As i tell people that will play me sayin that they are nervous i tell them not to be play me like anyone else because i want you to play your best.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Well, I mean is that I play better, yet they still win? I can't see me doing anything wrong, at least better than they are, yet the like, get more KO Power. And I can never seem to kill them either, at 200% they litertatly only need to stand there and they live

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Well, I mean is that I play better, yet they still win? I can't see me doing anything wrong, at least better than they are, yet the like, get more KO Power. And I can never seem to kill them either, at 200% they litertatly only need to stand there and they live
Sorry, I think I went too extreme and gave no actual advice whatsoever. As a Kirby main, I think I can help.
1. He is pretty light. I don't know how is your playstyle, but I've passed through a barrier like that: Your attacks are not killing! As he is that light, he obviously dies much earlier than many characters. Despite the high percentage of the opponent, there is also the rage mechanic (when the opponent has 50%+ damage, its attacks have stronger knockback than usual), which allows them to win against you easier... Also, straight-out attack with your strongest attacks, and try to get them with the quickest move possible (Down-Smash is pretty good in that regard).
2. Play the most passive-agressive you can, and mix-up your approaches (as PeejsterM said, there might be staleness of your attacks). Try to chase them with the Dash Attack as they run away, and read them with Smashes (Hammer might work in case they just approach with no attack, but it is very, very situational).
3. Use your mighty recovery, and try to gimp your opponents too!
4. Ducking under some attacks might be useful as a defense, since Kirby has quite a low crouch. His hurtbox shrinks very much, and as his Down Tilt can make them trip, you will have the opportunity to finish them with a deadly blow if you are quick enough.
I also would recommend training your DI to keep living in higher percents.

Last edited:

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
Identify your faults and fix them, or just do a better job of attacking enemies.

If you really are doing better than them in terms of percent, they will have Rage active. If they're playing a character like Roy, they can get stupidly early kills with a single smash attack and good positioning. Also consider that you take more knockback when charging your own smash attack.

If you can get a read off of an opponent, you can either follow up with fsmash, dsmash, or the very situational Stone. Also consider using grabs if you're not already.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
.......There is no advantage to one player on FG 1v1. You just have to train to get better at the game.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Sorry, I think I went too extreme and gave no actual advice whatsoever. As a Kirby main, I think I can help.
1. He is pretty light. I don't know how is your playstyle, but I've passed through a barrier like that: Your attacks are not killing! As he is that light, he obviously dies much earlier than many characters. Despite the high percentage of the opponent, there is also the rage mechanic (when the opponent has 50%+ damage, its attacks have stronger knockback than usual), which allows them to win against you easier... Also, straight-out attack with your strongest attacks, and try to get them with the quickest move possible (Down-Smash is pretty good in that regard).
2. Play the most passive-agressive you can, and mix-up your approaches (as PeejsterM said, there might be staleness of your attacks). Try to chase them with the Dash Attack as they run away, and read them with Smashes (Hammer might work in case they just approach with no attack, but it is very, very situational).
3. Use your mighty recovery, and try to gimp your opponents too!
4. Ducking under some attacks might be useful as a defense, since Kirby has quite a low crouch. His hurtbox shrinks very much, and as his Down Tilt can make them trip, you will have the opportunity to finish them with a deadly blow if you are quick enough.
I also would recommend training your DI to keep living in higher percents.
I don't know what approach or DI means.

Identify your faults and fix them, or just do a better job of attacking enemies.

If you really are doing better than them in terms of percent, they will have Rage active. If they're playing a character like Roy, they can get stupidly early kills with a single smash attack and good positioning. Also consider that you take more knockback when charging your own smash attack.

If you can get a read off of an opponent, you can either follow up with fsmash, dsmash, or the very situational Stone. Also consider using grabs if you're not already.
Don't know what read is

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
DI stands for Directional Influence. I'm not gonna give an in-depth explanation because it's been done a million times before; Google it.

Read is basically predicting what they are going to do. Like if you read that the opponent is going to try to dash attack you, you can shield-grab them.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
How the heck am I sopposed to know what they're doing?????

And yeah, I know DI is Directional Influence, I mean what is Directional Influence?

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
How the heck am I sopposed to know what they're doing?????

And yeah, I know DI is Directional Influence, I mean what is Directional Influence?
You guess what they're going to do based off of the options available to them, and what habits you've noticed they have.

If I know a Little Mac player likes to dash-attack, I can capitalize off that if I either shield and then grab, or attack him instead.

If I catch a player rolling backwards after every attack, I can capitalize off that by firing Thoron, or any other fast projectile.

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
But I can't notice habits when I'm trying to attack. It's too much at one time.
If you play on auto-pilot and don't make reads, you're not as good as you say you are. That's a fact.

You will improve a whole lot if you practice making reads; Take a few rounds in For Fun or with friends to carefully observe how others play, and see if you can pick up on habits.

If nothing else, at least learn how to read ledge get-ups. Space yourself properly if you see somebody rolling from ledge or jumping from ledge a lot.

Last edited:

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
This thread has me lost for words........ I don't see the problem or how the game advantages the opponent, it jus does not make sense.

Everyone is telling u wat ur doing wrong but yet u can't grasp it. I am lost

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
My opponent so I know where it is, and myself so I know where I am
But who do you pay the most attention to? You should focus on the opponent the most. You know where you are, you know what you're doing. You don't know that for the opponent.

You've got to watch your opponent so that you can make accurate predictions as to what they're going to do.

Play a few rounds with someone and watch what they do closely. Try to predict what they're going to do next.

Reads aren't everything, but it's something that's important.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
But who do you pay the most attention to? You should focus on the opponent the most. You know where you are, you know what you're doing. You don't know that for the opponent.

You've got to watch your opponent so that you can make accurate predictions as to what they're going to do.

Play a few rounds with someone and watch what they do closely. Try to predict what they're going to do next.

Reads aren't everything, but it's something that's important.
But when I do that, Idon't notice anything, since I can't fully focus on the other player

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
You watch them more than you watch yourself. You actually don't need to be paying attention to your own character to know what you're doing.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
How do I attack AND see what the other person's doing?
You need to be able to control your own character without focusing on him too much so you can focus more on your opponent.
Stuff like that will take time to learn.

The first step to becoming a better player is to learn your shortcomings.

This game doesn't give advantages to the opponent.
If it was true then the opponent should also be getting disadvantages as well.
Quite frankly, your thread title just screams scrub mentality.

But I think you need to learn more about the game/get better.
Especially since you didn't know what DI was.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
You need to be able to control your own character without focusing on him too much so you can focus more on your opponent.
Stuff like that will take time to learn.

The first step to becoming a better player is to learn your shortcomings.

This game doesn't give advantages to the opponent.
If it was true then the opponent should also be getting disadvantages as well.
Quite frankly, your thread title just screams scrub mentality.

But I think you need to learn more about the game/get better.
Especially since you didn't know what DI was.
What is DI anyway?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
When you are attacked, if you input a direction before getting launched, you are able to slightly affect how you are launched (change the angle slightly, increase or decrease distance traveled, etc). Mastering Directional Influence allows you to escape combos more easily and survive for much longer.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to since you have a very small period of time to input a direction, but it quickly becomes muscle memory once you practice it enough.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
^ Yup! That is DI. Also, since Kirby is light, he can escape from Combos easier than a big part of the cast. Simply inputting the stick to the opposite way you're going might be enough!
There are two kinds of DI in this game: the Directional Influence itself and Vectoring. Vectoring works easier: the character will go in the direction you input, but it only works horizontally.
A tutorial on DI and Vectoring:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
This thread has me lost for words........ I don't see the problem or how the game advantages the opponent, it jus does not make sense.

Everyone is telling u wat ur doing wrong but yet u can't grasp it. I am lost
I know....but, he's new to smash.

Top Bottom