• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee is a brim one?

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
So I've thought about the future of Melee recently and how people are going on about 20XX and the whole motto of "5 more years!" The question is, how long will Melee last? Melee has been played for a unusually extensive amount of time for a competitive game, especially when you compare how many people are still playing it, and how many are continuously joining. Due to the Smash Doc. the Melee community got a breath of fresh air from new players who were interested, me shamelessly being one of them.

You may be asking why I'm questioning the future of a game that continues to grow? Well, I'm sure you probably already know the answer to that. The Cap, and the equipment. I would like to go to the cap first. I don't think anyone has reached the capability of reaching Melee's limits, (and disregarding the whole legibility of the whole 20xx nonsense) but there is no doubt that we're definitely getting there. I think a great example would clearly be Westballz's movement with Falco, but the main question is, with a game that's reaching it's limit, will people still be interested to keep on playing? It's almost like there is no where else to go till we actually hit 20XX, but that itself is not the big problem, and also you have to keep in mind peoples interest in a game that is reaching the climax of a game of such a high skill cap.

Equipment for Melee is pretty rare and expensive. A copy of Melee nowadays is pretty rare, and the price for the game is definitely only going to rise from here on out. "No problem, we can just homebrew a Wii and usb load Melee." Well the problem with that is Wiis aren't being produced anymore, and even though that the Wii U is still being produced, along with the fact that you can still homebrew it, what about actually playing the game with the gamecube controller? Unless the nintendont team somehow manages to play off of the adapter then I don't know if many people are wiling to change, especially with all the negatives that come from bluetooth controllers. Gamecube controllers themselves are actually questionable. When will they stop producing the original white controllers? What about the Sm4sh controllers? No doubt that they're only going to be produced during Sm4sh's life span, but I think that's one of our smaller problems. When we do run Melee off of USBs, will Nintendo still support us?

Keep in mind that many things could happen, like Melee being released virtually in the E-shop (but that's unlikely because that could possibly hurt Smash 4's sales) or Gamecube controllers continuously being produced just because a few people are still buying them. So in the end, my point is, even thought Smash will live, will Melee?

EVO helped bring in a lot of new players too, probably equal or more than what the Smash Doc brought us. Each EVO keeps bringing in more players by significant amounts

Necessary equipment being out of production is a limiting factor, but it's not too much of a concern yet. It probably won't be for years, maybe even a decade. Even when it starts to, All a player would need is just a controller and they can play on setups provided by other players. As for creating new setups, CRTs are still pretty easy to find in thrift stores. Used Gamecubes cost about $35 on Amazon, Wiis there cost $50 - $100, memory cards cost $5 - $20, and Melee disks cost $50+. It seems relatively cheap to set up a Melee setup

Melee reaching its metagame limit might not be too much of a bad thing. The game is still fun and the Smash series has good retention of its competitive players because of how unique the games are

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Maylay will never die.

But really though, speedrunners still run old games and many resort to emulation. Do we need Nintendo's support? We haven't needed it for years. They seem to realize their mistake in not keeping the GCN controllers on the WiiU and I speculate that they will include it on the NX, but that's just speculation. Even then, companies like HORI would probably make the controllers. Does Nintendo need the smash franchise? If they want money, yes.

I keep my Cube and Wii in very very pristine condition as I care for them very much and will probably last my own lifetime. My controller? I haven't had to get a new one since day one as I handle it with great care (though I did get a new one because I let a friend borrow it for like an hour and holy crap... MY BABY!!! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER AGAIN!!!).

My Maylay will never die.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Melee is the only reason sm4sh competitive is still alive.

So yea, this thing is goin for awhile.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
So many of these posts pop up lmao we should just sticky this:

Melee will end at some point in the future

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Melee is the only reason sm4sh competitive is still alive.

So yea, this thing is goin for awhile.
Not quite xD

That being said, Smash 64 is still going strong, so I doubt we need to worry about Melee. Players will come and go tho.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
It'll keep growing and it still is, thus Evo is the largest smash tournament yet.

That is far from the truth.
If melee was not competitive when smash4 released, Nintendo would never sponsor and smash4 would be as dead as brawl rn

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If melee was not competitive when smash4 released, Nintendo would never sponsor and smash4 would be as dead as brawl rn
Melee would never be competitive if 64 didn't exist.

Same would apply if Nintendo didn't exist.

It's riding on itself, same with Melee. Nothing more, nothing else.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Melee would never be competitive if 64 didn't exist.

Same would apply if Nintendo didn't exist.

It's riding on itself, same with Melee. Nothing more, nothing else.
If Nintendo didn't exist, the game wouldn't of been made lol. If Nintendo disbanded today it wouldn't matter tho.

If melee was the first game in the series it still would be competitive considering it is the game that built the competitive smash community to what it is today.

Smash4 and Nintendo are only riding off the melee hype. If melee didn't exist, smash4's competitive scene would be looking like brawls right now, or soon to be.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If Nintendo didn't exist, the game wouldn't of been made lol. If Nintendo disbanded today it wouldn't matter tho.

If melee was the first game in the series it still would be competitive considering it is the game that built the competitive smash community to what it is today.

Smash4 and Nintendo are only riding off the melee hype. If melee didn't exist, smash4's competitive scene would be looking like brawls right now, or soon to be.
You missed my point entirely.

No scene is riding off anyone, the cross over of players playing both Melee and Smash 4 isn't that large, though it was bigger than what it was originally at EVO.

Both are standing on their own legs.

No one is riding on anyone at this point, even PM which I called out on being too much of a Melee clone is pushing away from that and trying to be more of it's own thing.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
You missed my point entirely.

No scene is riding off anyone, the cross over of players playing both Melee and Smash 4 isn't that large, though it was bigger than what it was originally at EVO.

Both are standing on their own legs.

No one is riding on anyone at this point, even PM which I called out on being too much of a Melee clone is pushing away from that and trying to be more of it's own thing.
My point is that smash4 wouldn't be going to evo. Melee helped pave the way for smash4 to get into these big tournies in the first place. I guess I didn't really explain my point well in other posts

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My point is that smash4 wouldn't be going to evo. Melee helped pave the way for smash4 to get into these big tournies in the first place. I guess I didn't really explain my point well in other posts
Eh, I'll admit I do find some truth in that, Melee at Evo 2013 is why Smash was even considered in the first place with Nintendo support.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
The Melee equipment argument is essentially null so long as the community itself survives. There's already a better alternative in PC emulation with a proper monitor that actually outdoes CRTs. Controllers can go out of production I guess, they probably won't, but they can be brought back into the production loop through manufacturing by third-parties. Melee is most definitely not immortal, but lack of equipment will most definitely not be the issue as not only the Melee community adapts but also the world as a whole becomes more technologically apt.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Everything inevitably dies. However, this generation of melee players will last quite a while I'm sure. I can't see it dying out for at least another 5 years especially since the community is currently growing.

I think after sales of tr4sh and amiibos dies off we could see a move by nintendo to support melee. I doubt that will happen, but if it does melee would have literally hit a golden age. If not, the communtiy will simply linger on its own as its doing now. Yeah, finding actual copies of the game and other equipment would be even more difficult but I'm sure we'd be able to overcome them, even if it meant finding a way to manufacture our own controllers/CRT's/wii's lol.

Last edited:

WeChirby

Smash Rookie
Hey, all Brawl back roomers should leave

You know who I'm talkin' to...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Melee HD or Virtual console Melee would fix the issues with technology for the larger tournaments like Evo. Plus it would allow new players to get in better.

Still that isn't an issue now.

alijahdamessiah

Smash Rookie
I really hope it goes longer than five years, but I feel like at that point it will begin to slow down unless there is a new version, or new smash game with tech. PM BOYS? Nah

I really hope it goes longer than five years, but I feel like at that point it will begin to slow down unless there is a new version, or new smash game with tech. PM BOYS? Nah
Have you ever looked at Melee EVO attendance and viewership numbers?

Year: attendance, peak online consecutive viewers
2013: 696, 134000
2014: 970, 137800
2015: 1869, 211393

I don't think Melee has hit its ceiling yet. There's no sign of a decline

Grass

Smash Lord
Melee HD or Virtual console Melee would fix the issues with technology for the larger tournaments like Evo. Plus it would allow new players to get in better.
People have been wanting melee HD for the longest time and while this game would make me extremely happy if there was an HD remix, I don't think it's going to happen. And this is mostly due to Sakurai's ownership of the IP, or rather Sora, Ltd. If Sakurai wasn't working on Smash anymore and retired or whatever. We might have a chance. Nintendo clearly has no problems with remaking their titles. Just look at Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'm hoping that if GC virtual console is a thing Melee will be one of the first games for it. Nintendo's released 3 older Mario Kart games (granted none of which have more than two player options) for Wii U and MK64 on the VC coexisted with MKWii so I don't think it would be too cannibalizing.

Grass

Smash Lord
I'm hoping that if GC virtual console is a thing Melee will be one of the first games for it. Nintendo's released 3 older Mario Kart games (granted none of which have more than two player options) for Wii U and MK64 on the VC coexisted with MKWii so I don't think it would be too cannibalizing.
I am 100% okay with this.

Top Bottom