• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Metal Jaguar BLADE Captain: Elma [Smash DLC] *No XCX spoilers, please!* 37 Days Until XCX!

Should Elma appear in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS?

• Total voters

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How disappointing, we only get a short clip of the NOE crew playing the game instead of something longer. I hope they think about adding more to their channel soon. :/

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
How disappointing, we only get a short clip of the NOE crew playing the game instead of something longer. I hope they think about adding more to their channel soon. :/

That's really disappointing, indeed. Hopefully they'll show something on it soon.

---

Btw, I contacted @PushDustIn to see if there was any support for Elma and other XCX characters in Japan. Here's what he/she said:

I haven't noticed anything in particular. All my Japanese research was compiled here:
www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

I'm not sure how X is doing (sales wise). I saw it pretty cheap at a recycle store the other day, which isn't a good sign of it's reception.

I'm sorry, I haven't played Xenoblade yet! I might pick up the 3DS version someday soon!
Unfortunately, there's no strong following for any of the XCX characters. I just hope Elma's support grows over time just enough for Sakurai to see the demand.

That being said, does anyone know when Shulk had a strong following in Japan? Was it after XC's release or during Smash 4's reveal?

Solar Crystallization

Smash Cadet
@Bebe - can I call you that from now on?

Well, all I know is that Shulk was relatively unknown here until last year thanks to that leak/rumor. And afterwards, his popularity skyrocketed which eventually led to his reveal last year in August. Maybe Elma will follow the same steps once Smash 5 is announced.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Unfortunately, there's no strong following for any of the XCX characters. I just hope Elma's support grows over time just enough for Sakurai to see the demand.

That being said, does anyone know when Shulk had a strong following in Japan? Was it after XC's release or during Smash 4's reveal?
Shulk's popularity was dominant in Japan after the original release of the first game (Xenoblade Chronicles) while his following was decent in the West. It was only until the Gematsu leak that more Western fans started to take him more serious.

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
I'm pretty sure Shulk was top voted in Japan at least thats what I heard after the american release of Xenoblade Chronicles his support grew cosiderably I myself was one of thouse who wanted him in Smash after playing the game.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Shulk's popularity was dominant in Japan after the original release of the first game (Xenoblade Chronicles) while his following was decent in the West. It was only until the Gematsu leak that more Western fans started to take him more serious.
Yeah, exactly. I wonder how popular and requested he was before the announcement of Smash 4. Are there any polls from back then that suggested his popularity in Japan?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, exactly. I wonder how popular and requested he was before the announcement of Smash 4. Are there any polls from back then that suggested his popularity in Japan?
As for Japanese polls, there weren't that much that anyone could take not of (even before PushDustIn could gather any information). Though one inactive user called Chronobound was able to keep up with a ton of Japanese speculators and told us about who's the hottest ones before the grand E3 reveal. You can look at his original Gamefaqs topic here to see what he was able to gather at the time.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/64873505

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LOL Watch Mojo

But I'm still glad that it's giving free publicity to X before its release. And I can agree that the main theme of the game is so damn good.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It has been exactly one month since the first Survival Episode. I'm hoping Nintendo uploads the second episode today as they have to show 4 more episodes within the next two months.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
For anyone worried about XCX's story, here's a post I found on GameFAQs:

It has far more character development than Xenoblade, in terms of volume, but there's a lot more characters. Basically, remember heart to hearts? Imagine now each character has a few quest lines, complete with fullly voiced cutscenes. These quests (kizuna quests) exclusively deal with the backstory and events surrounding each character. In addition, different characters have different amount of roles in the main story, and while the main story is short than Xenoblade, with less (in terms of volume) twists, it is on a much grander scale, involving the survival of humanity. There's also a number of significant, and smaller story lines involving the city, NLA, survivors, alien races etc that aren't in the main quests, but are side quests that develop the world and give insight into the different people, their lives, their problems, alien cultures, etc. There are quite a number and broad array of these quests. Then there are more mundane quests (like Xenoblade Wii's) that involved talking to people and gettings items etc, to help them set up a luxurious lingerie shop, or bring pizza to NLA etc.

In terms of structure, it's very open in that the format for advancing the plot is not positionally activated cutscenes, but quests, whether kizuna quests dealing with character story lines, or normal quests dealing with a variety of other things, or story quests dealing with the main plot. Add on to that the 'simple quests', which are the simple ones, but the quest centric structure allows you to advance the plot or focus on sidequests at your leisure, while still having the entirety of the world available to explore.
It is very interesting to see that Takahashi/Monolith Soft took a different approach to the main story for this game. So in order to experience the whole story, you should do all the Kizuna quests. Otherwise, your experience will be bare-bones.

Although I think I'll prefer XC's linear story structure over XCX's, I will still enjoy what the game has to offer because of the world, battle system, and of course the one character that we all love the most. :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It has been exactly one month since the first Survival Episode. I'm hoping Nintendo uploads the second episode today as they have to show 4 more episodes within the next two months.
Nintendo needs to get on that STATS if this game is going to get that hype required to sell well around the holidays. The last thing we need is another Wonderful 101 situation and we all know where that went. :urg:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
This is a post at GameFAQs made by Maria1978 from Russia:

Hello, everyone! Can't wait to play Xenoblade X... aww

Just wanted to report that in Russia Nintendo makes a big push for Xenoblade X at biggest Russian gaming event @ IgroMir Expo 2015 / Comic-Con Russia 2015.http://www.igromir-expo.ru/ This annual show is not very well known in the West (like E3, TGS, etc etc), but it's a pretty big deal here (last year, the show brought in >157,000 total visitors). All major companies from around the world participate (for example, Capcom announced a new character for Street Fighter V, Zangief, at IgroMir yesterday). Sony and PlayStation are BIG in Russia, Xbox is gaining popularity, too, but for Nintendo this is a very difficult market (because it arrived here very late - Nintendo Russia, which has a marketing budget ala Nintendo Spain, opened in 2011).

So, long story short, Nintendo has a pretty big booth at the exhibition, too. And Xenoblade X is a star of Nintendo's show this year ^ ^ ;) IgroMir / CC Russia 2015 takes place in one of the biggest exhibition centers in the world, Moscow' Crosus Expo http://www.crocus-expo.ru/ Nintendo decided to promote the game on the giant screen @ front of the building. This is expensive, so I was really surprised to see Xenoblade there! This picture taken on the day before IgroMir opened (9/30):http://gamemag.ru/images/uploads/20/312a5450361602e585ebbe052824d2a7.JPG Another one: http://gamemag.ru/images/uploads/20/9d1fe7eecd1e42c449c51cdbcf1162af.JPGToday (10/1) was a press day, and X had the largest crowd of all games installed at Nintendo's booth!

Also, Nintendo managers told visitors that at IgroMor Expo they're showing final localized version of the game. there was english VA, but atmosphere in the building is noisy (no headphones :/), so it is impossible to properly hear the voices. One friend of mine said that VA is great, another one missed the sound. Both of them, btw, amazed by the game! They're planning to buy it in december.

Hope we'll see epic trailer w/english voices soon!
Pictures:

Pretty amazing, huh? Keep it up Nintendo! Market the hell out of it! :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hmm... Which are you referring to? The Overdrive ability? Too lazy to rewatch the entire video on my crappy laptop. Haha.
Not just the Overdrive, the Soul Search and Chains.

I can see the former being a great way for her to call in other embers of BLADE to briefly attack for her, like more advanced version of Duck Hunt's Wild Gunmen move. The Chains since something I can see that would allow Elma to mix up her moves depending on the situation, making the attacks either ranged or defensive focused based on their input. Though chances are that this could make her a more complicated version of Shulk. :laugh:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Not just the Overdrive, the Soul Search and Chains.

I can see the former being a great way for her to call in other embers of BLADE to briefly attack for her, like more advanced version of Duck Hunt's Wild Gunmen move. The Chains since something I can see that would allow Elma to mix up her moves depending on the situation, making the attacks either ranged or defensive focused based on their input. Though chances are that this could make her a more complicated version of Shulk. :laugh:
Your idea for Soul Search (I thought it's Soul Voice?) kinda sounds like Shulk's final smash. :laugh:

I wish I can comment further, but my understanding of the game's battle mechanics is very limited (despite the latest episode). I need my hands on the game to get a better idea of them. Two more months! :cry:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Well, I have some bad news for those who were expecting an Elma/T-Elos team up in Project X Zone 2.

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/project-x-zone-2-adds-m-bison-pyron-more-enemy-characters
The Elma/T-Elos team-up never made sense to me anyway. The former is a protagonist and the latter is an antagonist and they're both from different games. KOS-MOS/T-Elos sorta made sense because they're from the Xenosaga series and have similar appearances. Regardless, Elma still has a small shot. Or did they already reveal the whole roster?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Elma/T-Elos team-up never made sense to me anyway. The former is a protagonist and the latter is an antagonist and they're both from different games. KOS-MOS/T-Elos sorta made sense because they're from the Xenosaga series and have similar appearances. Regardless, Elma still has a small shot. Or did they already reveal the whole roster?
The game won't be out until next month in Japan, so chances are that there will be a few more characters. The ones who were revealed today (other than the event characters and antagonists) were already leaked last month thanks to an Asian leaker.

So I can imagine one final trailer with the last bunch of characters and main villains near the end of the month (or the first week of November) when the game is finally out in Japan. If they do manage to ignore Elma again, it's more or less because they want the first Xenoblade game to be the main focus.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Found an interesting observation by FalKoopa FalKoopa in the NintenZone Social thread. I bolded the interesting part.

Let's see....

K. Rool and Dixie have the largest number of 1s in the Top 10 list. Hmm... K. Rool got pulled down to 6th despite having the largest number of 5s in the poll.
The highest 5s (Do Want) are K. Rool, Inkling, Wolf, ICs and Isaac. (No surprises here)
The highest 1s (Do NOT Want) are Jumpman (lel), Metal Mario, Plum, Baby Mario and Dixie+Diddy
The highest 3s (Ambivalence) are Elma, Cross, Melia, Fiora and Reyn (ALL Xenoblade characters - something is fishy here. :laugh:)

I'm impressed Tingle and Waluigi scored so high on the poll. So much for being hated characters.

:231:
I wonder if it's because Xenoblade was the last series of Part 1 (1st Party Nintendo IPs)? Due to being the last Nintendo IP, it likely created the result of many people leaving their votes at the default "3" for the Xenoblade characters.

Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing. T_T

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Falkoopa is so wrong about that post, Waluigi has WAY more fans than Daisy and most of her votes were pretty negative. Then there's her controversial reputation on sites like Reddit and Gamefaqs.

Sorry for going off-topic like that. But he needed to get his facts straight. :p

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wonder if it's because Xenoblade was the last series of Part 1 (1st Party Nintendo IPs)? Due to being the last Nintendo IP, it likely created the result of many people leaving their votes at the default "3" for the Xenoblade characters.
It could be that, or a "Well, even if I don't know about them, at least they're from Nintendo" kind of mentality.

I'm surprised that it actually someone's attention, though. :laugh:

Falkoopa is so wrong about that post, Waluigi has WAY more fans than Daisy and most of her votes were pretty negative. Then there's her controversial reputation on sites like Reddit and Gamefaqs.

Sorry for going off-topic like that. But he needed to get his facts straight. :p
Wait, what.

I was talking about the general perception of Waluigi being seen as a hated character. He scored high on the poll, which is really good and contrary to that.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wait, what.

I was talking about the general perception of Waluigi being seen as a hated character. He scored high on the poll, which is really good and contrary to that.

Alright, I get it now. Especially with the whole "Assist Trophies can't be playable!" arguments that many would have against him.

Sorry for the overgeneralization. :laugh:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
51 DAYS LEFT!

In other words, just less than seven weeks to go! We're finally in the homestretch now.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
51 DAYS LEFT!

In other words, just less than seven weeks to go! We're finally in the homestretch now.
I am so hyped about X! Only problem, every time I go to pre-order it at my local EB Games, they say that they don't have any records of the game. I heard that it's possible to pre-order X at Gamespot, and EB Games is basically the Canadian Gamespot, so I hope that this will be sorted out soon so I can reserve my copy!

This isn't even the first problem I had with pre-ordering games at EB Games! I remember back when Resident Evil 6 was announced, I pre-ordered it for PC. Almost a year later, and I found out that the PC version was going to be digital download only! I almost got ripped off 70$ because for some reason they let me pre-order a game that was never supposed to come out!

Coincidentally, I think this Miiverse post I drew a couple days ago suits my reaction to my local EB Games Customer service perfectly:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I am so hyped about X! Only problem, every time I go to pre-order it at my local EB Games, they say that they don't have any records of the game. I heard that it's possible to pre-order X at Gamespot, and EB Games is basically the Canadian Gamespot, so I hope that this will be sorted out soon so I can reserve my copy!

This isn't even the first problem I had with pre-ordering games at EB Games! I remember back when Resident Evil 6 was announced, I pre-ordered it for PC. Almost a year later, and I found out that the PC version was going to be digital download only! I almost got ripped off 70$ because for some reason they let me pre-order a game that was never supposed to come out!

Coincidentally, I think this Miiverse post I drew a couple days ago suits my reaction to my local EB Games Customer service perfectly:
That's weird. I hope it gets sorted out ASAP. Are you preordering the Special Edition or just the regular one?

That Miiverse post just cracks me up. And I love your drawing talent. Do you have any drawings of Elma (preferably anything that's not spoilerific)? :D

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
That's weird. I hope it gets sorted out ASAP. Are you preordering the Special Edition or just the regular one?

That Miiverse post just cracks me up. And I love your drawing talent. Do you have any drawings of Elma (preferably anything that's not spoilerific)? :D
Thanks! I haven't done any drawings of Elma yet, but I was planning on doing another miiverse sketch tonight, and I could make it Elma related.

I wanted to get the Special Edition, but I don't think that Canada will be getting the Special Edition. I could possibly order the limited edition online, but I never felt comfortable with ordering things online. So unless XC: X for some reason doesn't come out in Canada, I will probably stick with whatever I can get my hands on locally.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Can I become a new member of BLADE with Elma as my captain? Or shall I say, can I become a part of the support list for this group? :O

Elma is one of those characters that literally stood out for me and I would like to know about this mysterious woman. Tastu isn't that bad either since he's a spectacled Nopon and I ****ing loved the Nopon race from the last game (Leave it to Heropon!). There are things that can be done with her dual blades that can become guns at will will having some of the X features involved (if we can finally get our hands on that game soon). If they need to avoid referencing bullets with her guns, then they can easily change them into energy blasts or make the fires less realistic.

Either way, I'm game for this beaut and she would be a great addition in Smash if Fiora can't make it (Which is completely possible since X would have more priority over the original in the future).

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Thanks! I haven't done any drawings of Elma yet, but I was planning on doing another miiverse sketch tonight, and I could make it Elma related.

I wanted to get the Special Edition, but I don't think that Canada will be getting the Special Edition. I could possibly order the limited edition online, but I never felt comfortable with ordering things online. So unless XC: X for some reason doesn't come out in Canada, I will probably stick with whatever I can get my hands on locally.
If you do draw one of Elma, please do share!

That's unfortunate. I hope you're able to snag a copy of the SE. It's beautiful.

AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 - Welcome to the team!

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Here it is, hope it turned out alright.

I don't know what was harder, trying to get the lines to line up in the X, or drawing Elma herself XD:

I originally wanted to draw Elma fawning over a kitten, but I felt like it would be hard to get the details I wanted to do that with Miiverse's limitations, so I ended up with a front-shot in the end. I might try to draw my old idea once I can afford better art supplies/art programs.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Siliconera published an article saying that Monolith Soft just posted an "urgent" and "mass recruitment" openings for their next game (hopefully Xenoblade 3!).

Xenoblade developer Monolith Soft have updated their official website’s staff recruitment page with “urgent” and “mass” recruitment for 3DCG designers.

Here’s what they have under their Tokyo office recruitment section:
  • Programmer
  • Planner
  • 3DCG Designer (Urgent!)
  • 2D Designer
  • Effect Designer
  • Motion Designer
  • Project Manager
Followed by one for the Kyoto office:
  • 3DCG Designer (Mass Recruitment!)
  • Effect Designer
  • Motion Designer
Monolith Soft’s Tokyo office is the one that’s in charge of Xenoblade titles, while their more recently opened Kyoto office is involved in the assistance of developing various Nintendo titles such as Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda.

That said, the positions listed as “urgent” and “mass recruitment” were recently added, so they’re likely working on something new, possibly for Wii U or Nintendo NX, that we may hear about in the near future.

Keep in mind that Xenoblade Chronicles X executive director Tetsuya Takahashi previously commented in the guidebook for the RPG that he’d like to use the experience him and Monolith Soft have obtained in the development of Xenoblade Chronicles X in order to make his next title something that is rich in story.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/1...urgent-and-mass-openings/#Z3std7osoDR0KpvC.99

I don't know what was harder, trying to get the lines to line up in the X, or drawing Elma herself XD:

I originally wanted to draw Elma fawning over a kitten, but I felt like it would be hard to get the details I wanted to do that with Miiverse's limitations, so I ended up with a front-shot in the end. I might try to draw my old idea once I can afford better art supplies/art programs.
Man... That is lovely. Thank you for sharing your drawing. :D

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

I love your art, you've did Elma some fine justice with it. Though that X looks pretty sexy though, I can just look at those lines all day.

Siliconera published an article saying that Monolith Soft just posted an "urgent" and "mass recruitment" openings for their next game (hopefully Xenoblade 3!).
*Crosses fingers for Xenoblade X-2/Xenoblade 3*

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I finally pre-ordered Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Also, with the possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles 3, what would you all want out of it? A true sequel/expsansion to one of the already established worlds in the Xenoseries, a crossover-like game that brings back characters, or a completely new setting/characters?

Personally, i'm all up for a brand new experience. As drastic as X's changes are, I want to see Monolithsoft push the series even farther and experiment with new, interesting ideas.

As much as you all might disagree with me, I would love to see some multiplayer open-world exploration. I don't know too much about the multiplayer aspect in X, but I heard that it's limited to specific, linear missions. Now i'm not hoping for a Xenoblade MMORPG I personally feel like that would take away from the whole experienced, but I would love to explore a beautifully designed world with a few of my buddies.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I finally pre-ordered Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Also, with the possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles 3, what would you all want out of it? A true sequel/expsansion to one of the already established worlds in the Xenoseries, a crossover-like game that brings back characters, or a completely new setting/characters?

Personally, i'm all up for a brand new experience. As drastic as X's changes are, I want to see Monolithsoft push the series even farther and experiment with new, interesting ideas.

As much as you all might disagree with me, I would love to see some multiplayer open-world exploration. I don't know too much about the multiplayer aspect in X, but I heard that it's limited to specific, linear missions. Now i'm not hoping for a Xenoblade MMORPG I personally feel like that would take away from the whole experienced, but I would love to explore a beautifully designed world with a few of my buddies.
As Takahashi already said, he would like to focus more on the story aspect for the next game. Personally, I expect the next game to be a direct continuation of this game. It may or may not have the exact same cast and/or setting. I'm somewhat confident that the next game will take place in the same universe and that some of the XCX characters will return (hopefully Elma is one of them!). And it sounds like Takahashi wants to include space exploration which would be really sweet.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a multiplayer open-world exploration, as long as it is optional. I wouldn't be surprised to see it added someday since Takahashi said in an Iwata Asks interview that he is more than willing to address some of the fans' complaints/feedback and make improvements for the next game. I think he said something along the lines of getting highly motivated to prove them that Monolith Soft are capable of doing anything.

Top Bottom