• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Omni vs. Logic Match 1

0:06 - You Nair'd to high. You can Nair>Jab and i think Nair>Grab Oli.
0:46 - GREAT READ
0:56 - I didn't see that coming either. Mad me go "lol what?"
Fox's Dair beat's Oli's Usmash just thought I should throw that out there, so he really can't do anything if Dair the back of his shield.
Ok so you are getting very greedy for that kill right now because this is basically summing up all your mistakes right now.
2:26 - Ok good, now let's see if you'll stop being reckless
2:52 - see this is what you should have been doing a lot more
3:50 - good effort playing outside of people safe zones is one of Fox's strong points, this makes punishing opportunities bigger and more often.
3:56 - LOL

You cleared up more mistakes after you got your first kill. Camp more and playing with his safe zones to make your punishments. This is defiantly better than the first vid I critiqued.

Match 1 vs. GIMR GnW

I couldn't really critique this you did fine! Your reads are nice. What I can say is do more baiting, empty short hops and cross-ups. Cross-up ex. Pivot Boost Grab, SHAD past them, etc.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
thanks for all the great input, Iblis.

welp here's another Fox dump. gonna watch more TKD vs. Mogwai. it's tough tackling all these character match-ups without having much knowledge about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jerauKsdWo vs. ROB 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KBxkWNGpM vs. ROB 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71NFWAIVSg vs. Seagull (Wolf) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9v94yy6zA vs. Seagull (Wolf) 2

Winner's Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLOMwnPOGhM vs. Chu (Kirby) 1 (horrible performance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfc9XbJ96CI vs. Chu (Kirby) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUFldSMjSpY vs. Chu (Kirby) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQbGMWWlcI vs. Chu (Kirby) 4

Loser Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6hXwK2yeM vs. Seagull (Wolf) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYslmrZ9h5Q vs. Seagull (Wolf) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuyNcHJS7nA vs. Seagull (Wolf) 3
*Game 4 he went Sheik on BF and f-tilt'd me to Heaven.*

Out of interest Omni why do you empty full hop bair? I'm not saying it's bad, I just wonder why you like doing it.

Omni

BRoomer
Can you show me an example? I'm probably doing it subconciously.

My guess is that I throw it out for several reasons:

- Use as a wall
- Have the option of double jumping/shining/d-air/n-air/doing nothing before landing allowing mix-ups
- Makes people forget that sh-bair can be auto-cancelled
- Sets up an additional way to approach making me a little less predictable
- Catches players who attempt to jump out of shield in an attempt to get above me
- Can beat out a few aerials where f-air normally could get stuffed

Stuff like that. There's many reasons.

It was mostly during match 3 of the LFs v Seagull. It looked like you were walling him with it, I really like that.

Omni

BRoomer
Ah, that was because he started doing his WoP B-air wall on me repeatedly. When he does his first full hop b-air he leaves himself open for a bit before doing his 2nd b-air, and he's retreating so it opens up for a surprise, bad DI hit.

He was getting pretty predictable with the b-airs by repeating it over and over. Wolf's b-airs actually does a good job at stopping Fox's f-air approach (which he started doing) and he was full jumping so I didn't want to go for full hop d-air.

2:10 and 1:57 shows the cooldown time from the B-air pretty nicely.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Match 1 vs. ROB

:10 - Don't do that unless you are sure it's going to land from that high. Crossing-up,shinestalling, or just landing is always better.

:30 - I really liked that one

Ok so you just got your first kill I really can't complain about anything. Just watch for more things like he would AD after you did a Dthrow. You can empty full/short hop and punish his landing with a regrab or Dsmash,jab,Usmash. At lower precent I recommend a regrab.

:59 - lol ok you have to teach me that because that's the answer to one of my questions in the Q&A thread.

1:30 - you can SDI out that faster and I've you do some crazy DI against Kirby's Grab string.

1:58 - a good example of what I mean by using a shinestall. Good job, earlier you were just Dairing down and he was punishing you.

2:22 - you surprised me on this one! Nice recovery!

2:26-2:32 - YES YES YES!!! This is what I'm talking about you punished his AD, and I saw use of JJCing. Really good performance here.

2:49 - I saw this one coming. You punished his AD so he was going to do it anymore you should have Full Jump Fair or SH Uair him.

....You must teach what height that is you are Dairing and ACing it! You ended the match using it.

So overall great performance here. I enjoy watching you improve! Take what I say in this critique into mind and also work on your lasering I saw some times where you were ground lasering.

Mid Tiers Match 1 vs. Seagull

:24 - Good!!! You started camping I thought you were going to stay aggressive. You had your lead and you were going to keep it and make him approach. Then you fake him into shining for the kill? That's the good stuff there homie.

Why are you chasing him? You are approaching too much now and he is making you pay for it. You are starting to Dair a lot. You took too much damage and he killed you for it let's see what you do now.

2:28: :(

2:35-2:38: CAN I GET A POWERSHIELD WALK?!?!? XD

3:00 - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WHAT???? U-tilt killing earlier than some characters wish their KILL MOVE would kill at

4:12 - wtf did he just do????

Ok good once again your main problems where not camping enough when you had the lead and not doing simple things like Powershielding Wolf's lasers, which I know you are capable of doing both. Your first stock was a prime example of how you should be playing.

Omni keep them coming I'm learning things from you as I critique you. Maybe I should let you critique because I feel like our Foxes are alike in some ways haha. I enjoy watching your vids too. Keep the improvement going.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Omni:

Overall, there's good use of the laser, other than the times when your timing was off and took time to put away the gun.

In the first two sets between ROB and Wolf, I felt like you got away with a lot of mistakes you should've been punished for. It wasn't until Kirby came around that you really suffered for your blunders. Of course, this comes from a player who's had his butt handed to him by some of the most ridiculous ROB, Wolf, and Kirby players I could find.

Chu is reading you like yesterday's newspaper, and quite frankly you deserved it too.
What he's doing to you is meeting your naturally aggressive playstyle with counter-aggression, literally baiting you into attacking and intercepting the attacks. He's trying to steer you into a more defensive posture, which doesn't seem to me like your natural tendency as a player. By bulldozing you out of your comfort zone this way, Chu is setting you up in a position for you to make more mistakes, for which he handily punished you many times. He's also doing this to try and sweep you off the edge of the stage, where Kirby is extraordinarily well equipped to dispatch Fox with ease.

During the third match, I started to see you do what you should've been doing the second Kirby started baiting you; it looked like you caught-on to Chu's antics, and began baiting his punishments. In particular, I think your use of the SH-airdodge away really opened him up there while he was trying to hit you, and could've been utilized more often. You got unlucky/stupid a few times when Chu skewered you off the edge, but sans those fatal flaws, and if you took a more passive-aggressive stance, you might've had that match.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Just going to comment on your beautiful use of Jab cancelled Shine, Iblis. It was seriously sexy D:.

Zephil

Smash Ace
KJ please add these matches in the first post please:

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QC36UnJNU

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMpd4AF6so

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFGSXu9UZJQ

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5vjWOanPI

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnc4IZBhb7k

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnspv3p2gJE

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69gNJcd3tA

Oreo (Sonic) V Zephil (Fox) 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvtuFfGP5G8

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

crifer

Smash Lord
Watched match 1 and 2 against techchase und the match against shugo.

First: You use of fair is really bad. You don´t auto-cancel them, you use fair every single time you chase your opponent in the air. auto-canceling fair is not hard at all and gives you 0 lag (and I know that you know that!).
That Snake could have easily b reversed nades to amke you explode while using fair, use more uair to chase AND wait for him to come down in order to punish him, use short hop or full hop baits.
you laser use is bad, standing laser can easily be punished by snake and mk through good zoning of them. And try to build damage especially if you can get a %lead by that.
If some one is above you on a platform, don´t use fair. use full hop dair, or way better: auto canceled uair!
Needs more bair in general 8that move is so awesome!), you only using bair as momentum cancel which is bad (falco habit?)

Other than that, nice seeing you again representing our furry ;-)

Zephil

Smash Ace
Watched match 1 and 2 against techchase und the match against shugo.

First: You use of fair is really bad. You don´t auto-cancel them, you use fair every single time you chase your opponent in the air. auto-canceling fair is not hard at all and gives you 0 lag (and I know that you know that!).
That Snake could have easily b reversed nades to amke you explode while using fair, use more uair to chase AND wait for him to come down in order to punish him, use short hop or full hop baits.
you laser use is bad, standing laser can easily be punished by snake and mk through good zoning of them. And try to build damage especially if you can get a %lead by that.
If some one is above you on a platform, don´t use fair. use full hop dair, or way better: auto canceled uair!
Needs more bair in general 8that move is so awesome!), you only using bair as momentum cancel which is bad (falco habit?)

Other than that, nice seeing you a
gain representing our furry ;-)
In other words: you suck :awesome:

I will see the matches later tonight

crifer

Smash Lord
Let me see you guys even take a stock from shugo

:troll::troll::troll:
that critique was no offense ^^
Sadly, I´m not gonna take any stock from shugo, because I live in europe and I don´t think I will ever play smash in the USA.
But shugo seems to be pretty good ;-)

M@v

Subarashii!
that critique was no offense ^^
Sadly, I´m not gonna take any stock from shugo, because I live in europe and I don´t think I will ever play smash in the USA.
But shugo seems to be pretty good ;-)
If i was offended I would of put a mad face.

But I put a troll face, because I'm a huge troll

:troll:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Let me see you guys even take a stock from shugo

:troll::troll::troll:
TBH Shugo is OK. I don't see anything from him that would be amazing enough to challenge other people to just take one stock off of him lol.

Kuares

Pizza
Please add me to the videos:Rizk7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW4VrE56INM

6 videos in 1 link

Please critic my fox. Thank you.
Just common trends I see, you need to work on spacing your moves better. It´s not healthy to Upsmash when your opponents not in range.

Also, it seemed that you were predicting your opponent was going to do things that they never did. Then you got punished alot.

When on the second game at the last stock when it was tied, you froze up pretty badly and sheilded more than you should have and were slow to react to stuff.

Also, if you ever get behind a Shuttle loop glide MK, you can chase after it and punish(2nd 6:01) When you have a good opportunity to get a kill you should take it(2nd 3:22)

What was with all the Firefox´s in the last match?

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Mindgames i guess. Btw I use the Wiimote sideways no nunchuck. So if you ever see me not following up attack after dair its probably because I cant input it that quick into the Wiimote, unlike the GCC where you can at anytime, but no johns for me. So right now out of 10, where would my fox be approximently? And thanks for the advice. Btw what do you mean by common trends?

Kuares

Pizza
Mindgames i guess. Btw I use the Wiimote sideways no nunchuck. So if you ever see me not following up attack after dair its probably because I cant input it that quick into the Wiimote, unlike the GCC where you can at anytime, but no johns for me. So right now out of 10, where would my fox be approximently? And thanks for the advice. Btw what do you mean by common trends?
I´ve seen some pretty good things happen with people using Nunchucks, Classics are pretty much the same a GC in terms of number of buttons. Try to get used to a different controller, k?

Numbers are arbitrary when it comes to skill. Where as I could say TKD is 10 and I´m a 1, when I know I´m better than that. I´d rather look at who you´ve beaten in a tournament recently than a number.

Common trends are things seen through all the matches as a whole. As opposed to a scrupulous critique where I would say ´7:39-Don´t attempt to punish a glide from the front 7:21-Why´d you upsmash?´

RPK

Smash Lord
0:32 Dont just illusion onto the stage like that. I know you werent punished for it, but if you were, you would have been in a whole world of hurt. Land penalty dawg. Sucks so much.
0:47 Dont just illusion onto the stage when the opponent is far away and when he is charging a move. You could have chose the better option which is just jumping onto the stage and doing a nair. That would have been safer, you wouldnt have gotten punished for it, and it just was a better option in general.
0:59 Wtf? Why illusion there? You were guaranteed a free grab right there. Always take a guaranteed option and that grab was it.
1:02 You had the right idea by punishing him when he was falling from his UpB. However it didnt hit till when he was on the ground, and he could have punished you for doing a dair but he didnt. Your hitbox isnt as big when you do a dair. It doesnt have the reach. It would have been better to nair him out of it. Again, free damage, and it resets you two back to neutral where you can shoot him with more lasers.
1:03 Despite you hitting you shielded afterwards and got punished for it. If you buffered in a grab you would have gotten it, or even a jab to grab. Also that DI. Where is it at? You went right into the side instead of going right into the corner.
Also it isnt always best to just triple laser. I know it's good but imo single laser is probably a lot safer. Especially when theyre around medium range. Mixing up retreating and approaching lasers, air dodges, and aerials will play well in yours or anyone's game.
1:11 You were given that free upsmash but you instead went for the uptilt. Oh well.
1:22 What was with that upsmash? He wasn't even in range, or even close.
1:23 You got hit with the nado. Next time, just keep holding shield. Depending on where they are and how high off the ground they are, punish them when theyre falling, or when theyre suffering from the nado's ending lag.
1:24 You saw MK retreating, but instead of dashing out of shield and upsmashing you uptilt'd OoS. In addition the MK was suffereing from the tornado's lag so you had enough time to punish him with an Upsmash but uptilted by mistake.
1:26 When MK is falling after an up B, when he touches the ground he pretty much has 0 lag, and falls insanely fast. Punish as soon as he cancels it in order to properly hit. Instead you upsmashed into the shield and got punished for it.
1:29 You missed an opportunity there to punish and kill him with an Upsmash OoS
1:40 I know he's at 100% and can easily be killed by an upsmash, but dont get desperate. Take your time, and look for a moment when you are guaranteed the kill. If your desperate for it, an opponent will just take advantage of that such as that free grab at 1:41. Upsmash has a lot of lag if it doesnt hit...So careful...
1:43 When MK dairs, you actually have enough time to jump up and land on him a free Uair because of Dair's cool down. It's pretty sweet.
1:44 Dont dair or throw out meaningless moves. That's just asking you to get punished. Each move should have meaning behind it. Why did you throw that out at that situation? Think about everything that your doing as the match happens. Brawl is a very stressing mental game...Seriously...
1:48 That airdodge to uptilt. good combination, but look at your opponent when you airdodge in. Don't have the mentality of Im going to do A then B. BAD!!! It should be I'm going to do A then depending on what he's doing I'm either going to do C, D,E, F ect. If he kept on holding shield, that would have been a free punish on you right there. In addition he could have also punished your airdodging as he just needs to have his grab hitbox over lap the couple of frames of landing lag that you recieve just from landing on the ground. Missed chance there on his part I suppose.
1:52 Pointless illusion there...you could have just landed. Be grateful he ran instead of punishing you with a Nair or an UpB.
1:53 He airdodged into the ground...That was a free upsmash right there. Know your opportunities.
1:57 How come you jumped and reflectored there? What was the purpose of doing that if you knew he was just going to have no lag and end up being right under you. In addition he punished you appropriately with that UpB. Free damage on his part.
2:02 Again, he ran away from the ledge and gave you a free chance to get back on, but you SideB'd onto the stage anyways. Atleast you got away with that.

Not going to go through that entire vid...too much work...2 minutes took a while to critique...
Also if your really just using a wii-mote, switch to something else. GC, Wiimote+Nunchuck, or Classic. Your limiting your technical abilities thus limiting the number of options that you have by sticking with the wiimote. The more options that you have available to you during a match the better. In this game, game knowledge, reading your opponent, knowing your options, knowing your opponent's options and deciding what the best thing to do in a situation depending on said options is what this game is made of.

Also...Wifi lololololololol :troll:

Rizk18

Smash Lord
0:59 it was a mistake
1:22 I inputted running usmash but only the usmash came out
1:29 It is kind of hard for me to Usmash OOS backwards, im still working on it.
Thnx for the critic, lol wifi, lol brawl

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've been wanting to upload a practical breakdown and tutorial for the Illusion Cancel for a while now. and I've only just recently had time to put something together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOzpbaIlhQ

The main purpose of this video is to be a practical approach to more advanced techniques, for decent players looking to step up their technical game.

If this works, I have footage available to make a few more vids along a similar vein, outlining some other advanced techniques.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Here are my only critiques with that video.

1. You didn't address all the different lengths of Illusion Canceling, as there are 4. (IIRC)
2. The editing style can be a bit slow at times, the opening was a little long/unnecessary and possible voice narration would be a great benefit in addition to faster transitions. (If you don't feel you have a good voice/don't have good voice recording equipment, please feel free to ask one of us to voice act for you ^.^.) If you'd like I can also add little graphics for you, so instead of seeing INTERRUPT NOW you could see a little image of a "B" button being pressed. It would make it seem more professional.

Besides that.

I think that was a wonderful instructional video.

I highly agree with your use of visual cues as opposed to traditional frame data. It is more welcoming to less experienced players and you manage to ease them into the concept of canceling the illusion instead of blinding them with numbers. For more advanced players however it would be nice if you were to provide a link to a thread or some site with detailed info regarding all aspects of illusion-canceling. I really appreciate that you created this video, and that both the quality and overall pace of the video itself was well-managed and of good insights.

Thank you, and I personally look forward to more from you :).

Top Bottom