• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The footstool jump: it's cooler than you think.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Add Olimar to the list of people who benefit; not only does it give him a chance to beat people who are trying mid-air edgeguarding to prevent him from reaching the edge (since his recovery normally sucks), but it's also a useful way to stun your opponent temporarily and just buy a little time. Time is always good if you've got a Pikmin latched on to your opponent dealing damage.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Add Olimar to the list of people who benefit; not only does it give him a chance to beat people who are trying mid-air edgeguarding to prevent him from reaching the edge (since his recovery normally sucks), but it's also a useful way to stun your opponent temporarily and just buy a little time. Time is always good if you've got a Pikmin latched on to your opponent dealing damage.
Hmm, but it's not really a directly offensive purpose though, but those are good points. I'll think of some way to add that.

Oh, by the way, here's a good demonstration of Lucario's FSJ attack out of a normal jump:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLKTNAU_bU
Starting at around 3:55, Lucario drops down from a platform, footstool jumps off Metaknight and then immediately attacks with Dair. The whole process is so fast that it just looks like a normal Dair, but if you look closely, you can clearly see Metaknight squash up and also hear the little "boing" sound from the footstool jump before Lucario attacks.

There's also a thread on the Falco boards saying that Falco may be able to attack using his Dair after a footstool jump! If this is true, then it means that any character with a FAST Dair can attack from a FSJ and still gain the full benefit of the high jump! This means Marth can also do the same.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Marth can dair out of it, but not 100% of the time. I think it may involve starting the footstool from lower on their body and not at the top of their head. When it does hit, though, it makes it much easier to tip with the dair for a spike (spacing is tighter on the dair than in Melee now).

Edit: Actually, it doesn't seem readily apparent that where you start the footstool impacts how low/high you'll be before you can do an aerial. I think that's set. What it seems to be, though, is that footstool to dair may be character specific for Marth. Couldn't hit Ganondorf on the ground or in the air in Training. Can reliably hit Shiek on the ground, but whiff in the air. I'm certain that I've gotten the spike off in the air, and others have posted stating they've done it several times in the Marth forum.

Edit2: Also, the direction that you're facing in regards to your opponent matters. If Zelda and Marth are facing each other, the dair whiffs (when Zelda is on the ground, anyways). If they're facing the same direction (Zelda still on the ground) the dair hits. Can't get it to hit in either direction when Zelda is in the air. Versus Toon Link, it hits in all four cases for Marth.

Seems to be a result of the target's footstool "jumped on" animation. On the ground, Zelda ducks her head forward (and she doesn't raise it high enough to get hit for one direction). Interesting property each character has. :)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
That is really interesting! So some characters with fast high-range Dair can hit, but it's depending on the opponent.

Either way, I'll add Marth to the list.

paper_crane

Smash Cadet
I just did some testing with a friend, and it doesn't seem like footstool jumping disables the shield. I tried footstool jumping off my friend's shield several times, at several different heights, and using several different character combinations, yet the shield remained up. I also tried footstool jumping into rising aerials, and my friend was able to block them. His shield eventually shattered just because he held it too long, but that didn't have anything to do with the footstool jumps.

Am I missing something here?

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Has anyone tested this with Ike, and if they haven't could they please? I know that the first part of Ike's Dair, where he's actually bringing the sword down, is a pretty strong meteor, but I don't know if he can pull this off in time to take advantage of the footstool jump. I would gladly put in the time myself, but I do not have access to a Wii right now :(

Damax

Smash Lord
Some specifications: footstool doesn't drop the opponent's shield. you can footstool latched opponents, you can footstool people on the edge, both of these footstool won't ''spike'' them it might also be a edgehog ward for certain character who can footstool after up B(sonic for example)

reading this thread gave me some idea's specially this ''super'' footstool, something stupid Sakurai could have done. I will test it and post If i find some nice informations.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think yoshi makes the best use of the footstool jump of any character but it works best off the edge immediately after a Dair. This usually send them plummitting to their death at low percentages once you force them far enough off the edge.

Variable1

Smash Rookie
I find the footstool jump useful if you're trying to get to something and stop your opponents from getting there first. i.e. a amsh ball, item, ledge, or escape from a trap.

Glix

Smash Cadet
In the OP you say

The reason I say this is because a footstool jump cancels the opponent's shield, meaning that by doing this instant footstool jump and attacking, you get the same kind of effect as grabbing the opponent, except most of the time you'll be using a much more powerful attack and if you miss, you won't be left wide open for attack (although you will have used your second jump).
You don't lose the jump, unless I'm missing something here...

You can footstool up to 4 times in a row, and then still use your second jump. Also, include Lucario in the list, as his move is a killer. Footstool into his Dair works really really well.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think yoshi makes the best use of the footstool jump of any character but it works best off the edge immediately after a Dair. This usually send them plummitting to their death at low percentages once you force them far enough off the edge.
His Dair is a multi-hit attack. Tap DI will get you out of it into a Nair/Fair/Bair/Uair (or possibly a footstool of your own). Footstools are also meteor-cancellable, don't forget that.

Top Bottom