• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Annual Dustbowl Championships. - October 19th, 2013 - Cicero, NY

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Stream links are down below.

The First annual Dustbowl Championships. Syracuse, NY

https://www.facebook.com/events/268951946577309/269026293236541/?notif_t=like

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...13-syracuse-ny-300-pot-bonus-for-umvc3#latest

The Dustbowl has officially been upgraded.

First of all, we want to give a huge thanks to everyone who has supported and attended the Dustbowls up to this point. Because of you all, we are able to continue making this event larger and even more expansive. This time with our greatest number of games, events, and sponsors ever.

This event will contain events for:
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition. Version 2012
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Street Fighert X Tekken
Soul Calibur 5.
And Windjammers.

As well as team tournaments for:
Street Fighter
Marvel
and Tekken
along with POSSIBLE teams events for Melee and Brawl based on attendance and interest.

This tournament will also feature support and sponsorships from:
Cloud City Comics and Toys
Big E Gaming (Tentatively)
Past Time Legends
Snakebyte Controllers
Team Bifuteki
Team Fight Your Rival
and Voltage Games

Not only that, but this event will also double as a Retro Gaming Convention, complete with old school games, possibly a speedrun contest or two, and plenty of merchandise for you to remember the experience.

We will also be featuring NOT ONE, BUT TWO different streams so that you can take in as much of the experience as possible from your own homes (but it'll never be as good as actually attending). Or if youre like me, you can let your friends from out of town know when youre up on stream so they can see you in all your glory.
Courtesy of:
twitch.tv/bifuteki and
twitch.tv/upstate_FGC

What does this mean for you? Well, in a nut shell, it means:
MORE Setups
MORE Raffles for free stuff
MORE Space to play your hearts out
MORE Streams for you to send out to your out of town friends
MORE attractions for you to bring people for that might not be all in for fighting games all the time.
MORE Top player and big personality attendance.
MORE pot bonuses to encourage traveling by out-of-region players
and LESS reason for you to not show up and have the time of your life!

Fees:
The venue fee will be reduced to 10 dollars for the first 30 people to show up at the venue. After that point it will be 15 dollars per person.
Entry for each game will be 10 dollars per person. This includes teams, which will also be ten dollars per person.

Sign-ups will begin at 11. Anybody attempting to sign up after 2:30 p.m. will be subject to an added 5$ late fee. This will be enforced, as will our policies on bracket manipulation, and friendlies/money matches on tournament set ups.

Traddy Fighter rules:
Marvel and all 3D fighters will be sets of 3/5 games
All 2D fighters will be sets of 2/3 games, which will become 3/5 for all of the final round matches.
Standard rulesets for all those games, nothing special here.

Smash Rules (Pay attention, you might get thrown for a loop over here)

Brawl Rules
3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
Meta Knight is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 150%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Instances of stalling will be judged at a TOs (that means me) discretion. I suggest that you not test me on this issue, because I do intentionally look for chances to DQ people on this. It makes me happy to do it. Punishments will range from a warning to a stock loss to a set loss.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with a player initiating a suicide move (like kirbys swallowcide), the player who initiate the move will receive the win for that game.

Stage list:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Pokémon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Melee Rules
4 Stocks
7 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
Meta Knight is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 150%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Instances of stalling will be judged at a TOs (that means mine) discretion. I suggest that you not test me on this issue, because I do intentionally look for chances to DQ people on this. It makes me happy to do it. Punishments will range from a warning to a stock loss to a set loss.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with a player initiating a suicide move (like kirbys swallowcide), the player who initiate the move will receive the win for that game.

Stage List:
Final Destination
Little Battlefield (Yoshi's Island)
Medium Battlefield (Battlefield)
Big Battlefield (Dreamland)
Moving Battlefield (Fountain of Dreams)
Pokemon Stadium*

*PS will not be used for the first stage striking.

Set Procedure

1. [1]Player Ports is determined if it can not be agreed on.
    [2] Each Player selects their character. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
    [3] The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Full Legal Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1-1-1... (Player 1 strikes a stage, followed by Player 2 striking a stage, and so on until one stage is left to play game one on).
    [4] The first match is played.
    [5] The Player that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
    [6] The Player that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Full Legal Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Player may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Player that has already won on that Stage in this set.
    [7] The Player that won the previous match chooses a character.
    [8] The Player that lost the previous match chooses a character
    [9] The next match is played.
    [10] Repeat steps 5-9 for all proceeding matches. 2 out of 3 games for all sets, except winners, losers and grand finals, which will be 3 games out of 5.
Conduct Rules

BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
In the case of a match being paused (except in the case of confirmed death), the offending party is at the mercy of his opponent, punishment for pausing is a stock loss for a first offense and a automatic game loss for a second offense. The opponent, may choose to make no action, and 'let it rock' and continue the match without penalizing the pauser.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
Regarding textures and other game hacks:
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
Stage, Character color, and Music hacks to the game as well as other cosmetic and non-intrusive hacks (infinite replays, no tripping) are allowed and encouraged, however they must be accepted by both players prior to the start of the match. A player may request any of these to be turned off and it will be honored.
Disrupting your opponent physically will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

Breaking of the rules is punishable by my discretion, my word or the word of my TOs is final.

And don't forget to like/follow our page for all the latest updates regarding our favorite Upstate NY tournament series.
https://www.facebook.com/DustbowlTournamentSeries

Anyone with any questions whatsoever can feel free to post here, I can handle most question about the tournament here. Plus it will help everyone else who has the same question. You can also contact myself of any of the the tournament organizers directly.

Kashaun (Damus) Hayden: [Main Event Organizer]
Phone: (315) 642 4512
Email: Dustbowltournaments@gmail.com

Luis (Tuxedo Tito) Infante: [Tournament Organizer for Capcom Games]
Phone: (315) 760 9171

Brandon Spier [Tournament Organizer for Non-Capcom Games]
Phone: (315) 706-2788

Myself, Kyle (K.I.D.Goggles) Flournoy: [Tournament Organizer for Super Smash Bros.]
The best way to contact me is by facebook, or email.
Facebook: www.facebook.com/KIDGoggles
email: 5linxkid@gmail.com

MathMaven

Smash Rookie
This looks great, but I'd have to find a way to get there. We'll see what happens.

(Edit: Looks like I won't be able to make it. Oh, well.)

Frank_desu

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna keep my eye on this. if it looks like there's going to be a good turn out for smash players I'm in.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
if you're upstate this is your chance to ressurect the smash scene! there's no point missing out because it isn't some monster 100 plus people event, in fact you'll probably get more playtime if you go;)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Listen up everybody. #YaManGoggles has some news for you all.

Who's ready for some PDA?
I'm not talking about making out on the street.
I'm talking about some Pre-Dustbowl Action!

This Friday, at twitch.tv/Upstate_FGC there will be a special event streamed.
This guy Alex K from Buffalo has had it out for me for a while now, and despite his not being able to attend this upcoming Dustbowl, he has challenged me to a 2 hundred and one dollar first to fifteen money match. That will be played and streamed in two days. This is the largest money match that the Upstate New York FGC has EVER seen.
In addition to that, there will also be an undercard match, that will serve as the definitive decider for the spot of 'Number 2 Active Marvel Player in Rochester'. This match will take place between RIT's own Filipino/Sniping Dreamer and Superman hailing from the inner city.
Not only that, but you will be able to enjoy these matches with the melodic, velvetty tones and insight of UGB. Tenor on the mic for commentary and interviews.

So as you can see, we got some crazy action and hype going down in the week leading up in to the Dustbowl, and this will only be a taste of what you will be able to experience at the actual event.

This is set to begin on Friday at roughly six pm on the upstate FGC twitch page. The matches will then be uploaded to the account UpstateNYFGC on youtube for posterity. If you live in rochester, feel free to PM or text me personally for location details so as to attend in person

So there you have it folks, this Friday it is Going Down.

Pre-Dustbowl Action!
Undercard:
Oscar "Filipino/Sniping Dreamer" Santiago vs Angel "Superman" Perez
Main event:
Alexander "Alex K" Kuhrt vs Kyle "TSST¦ K.I.D.Goggles" Flournoy
6 pm
Www.twitch.tv/Upstate_FGC
Rochester, New York

Don't miss it!

Angel and I are both smash players btw. So even if you don't play marvel at least watch and support us

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Please bring Crt tvs and wiis if at all possible, its looking like its going to be a very nice turn out for both games. so any and all help is appreciated.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I can definitely bring a full setup - would there be anyway to give a discount to those who bring a setup or no?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
As much as it sucks, i dont think so. But if i get a really good showing i can definitely look into it for next time

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Figured it would be worth asking lol. Looking forward for this week to end!

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
I can definitely bring a full setup - would there be anyway to give a discount to those who bring a setup or no?
If your one of the first 30 you get a discounted venue fee. All you guys should try to be in that group, 1: so you can get the discount and 2: so you can help me and paul carry our million tvs >.<.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
If your one of the first 30 you get a discounted venue fee. All you guys should try to be in that group, 1: so you can get the discount and 2: so you can help me and paul carry our million tvs >.<.
Lol alright if everything goes smoothly I should be there with 2 others friends before 11am, I'll make sure them lazy bums and I help you out :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Beta. Most likely ill be there around noon with extention cords and outlet splitters so if you dont have enough outlets when you get there dont worry about it too much

Top Bottom