• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Etiquette of Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Introduction:

Hello, people of Smash World Forums. My name is Dryn. It's not a well-known name, a reputable name like Isai or Azen, but even those who aren't known by the masses are still just as important. I would like to talk about etiquette regarding the world of Smash, and how one should act in accordance with others, whether in a friendly match or in a tournament, which could be a place where you meet even your friends and become friends with those whom you did not know. Whatever way, always show goodness.

Encouragement:

It can be a difficult thing for those who play against others, whether friendly or tourney, and lose. One can feel demoralized after having lost twice and winning once, or losing thrice. The person you brawl with who has lost may have had Super Smash Bros. Brawl the day it came out in his country, and feel as though he isn't good enough, or that he'll never be good enough. [1] I know from first-hand experience what it's like to lose. No, I've never been in a tournament, but I've lost enough to the point that I felt like quitting the game altogether. The point is, some can go on and say, "Great match" and feel good, whether having won or lost, while others can go on and say, "Great match," but not feel as good, because he lost.

This is the part where the winner of the match should encourage the person whom he is brawling with. Showing that even the winner enjoyed the game and liked how his opponent played will likely increase his opponent's confidence. While the opponent will know that he lost, he will feel good for knowing that the person whom he fought against thinks that he was worth every match. This can boost his morale, and the one encouraging may feel just as good for encouraging. So, next time if you brawl with someone, whether in person or online, and you can contact that person, tell him or her that you had fun, and hey, maybe offer some tips.

Taunting:

Everyone differs with the way one taunts. For example, someone might not like it when Sonic says, "You're too slow," just because he lost his first or second stock. The same can be with Pit, who might say, "You're not ready yet!" It's better to hear, "The fight is on," rather than, "You're not ready yet," because the former is not rude, but is a way of saying, "Though I have only one stock left, I'm still game!" The latter is impolite. You have control over your fingers. If your friend asks that you do not taunt, don't taunt.

Now, some here might think, "It's just a silly taunt. Who cares?" Everyone is different. Some will take it as a "Whatever" attitude and go on his merry way. There are some who do care and take it personally. Don't tell someone to not take something personally, because it might only anger him. Only tell the person after the match is over and when everything is settled. This is beneficial, because then, the person isn't taking it from an emotional point of view, but a rational one. If he still feels the same, even after everything is settled down, it is best to not taunt when he brawls with you.

Some taunting goes beyond this, though. Consider someone who lost several matches. He might say, "I don't want to play anymore right now. I keep on losing." It's better to respect him, rather than tell him, "Don't be such a sore loser." This is a very rude statement. It's almost equivalent to saying, "Don't be a loser." Losing is not fun, and if there is one person who does enjoy losing, I've yet to see that person. The one who is telling the other to not be a sore loser is only discouraging the one who lost. It's not fun, it's not fair, and it's not polite. It is better to say, "All right," and just leave it as that.

Talking:

This can be difficult in tournament settings, because from what I've heard through videos, there is a lot of talking going around in tournaments. One of the things that everyone should do is keep quiet. Talking can distract the one who is playing. This is especially aimed at the two who are playing. If I talk while brawling with my brother, sometimes I become indifferent in the battle, and thus, I don't play as well as I should. It's almost as if I were sandbagging. In a tourney setting, it may be difficult for the people who are playing to focus, unless they are wearing ear plugs or are used to the setting to where external sound doesn't affect their gameplay.

Either way, no one except the person who has gone to several tournaments, is aware of how well he can play in this environment. It's one thing for others to talk, though they are having their own match, because it is unintentional that their speech should make it to the ears of others. It's another to intentionally disturb two persons who are brawling. This is especially disrespectful. Save your talking, comments, and questions until the match is over, since the people who are finished brawling will be more attentive to what you have to say.

Recording Matches:

When someone is recording someone else, the people who are being recorded may feel like they are in the spotlight. Some are all right with this; others aren't. Ask the people if you can record their matches with your video tape. Otherwise, don't tape any match. The reason is because the people playing might play differently than they normally do. This is, in some way, another distraction. If possible, find out if recording matches can be done through something like GameBridge. This is most preferable, since there will be little to no distraction. [2] If you do happen to record by video taping, be sure to not be in the way.

1. It should be noted that simply having the game since the day it came out doesn't necessarily make one the greatest, nor does it make him or her the worst.

2. Since I've never been to any tournaments, I don't know if this is possible. I only brought this up, because I have seen others play tournaments where they have the recording on YouTube, and it was as if they used a device like GameBridge to do the recording.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I taunt with whichever taunt looks better, not whatever inane comment my character might say. Because Pit doesn't say "You're not ready yet." in the Japanese version. It's just a bad translation.

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
When I taunt, I just spam the most spammable one the character I'm using has. Like the Ice Climber's "Yaoup!"

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Wow, second awesome post i've seen today! (Not many around these parts)

I agree with you in the encouragement, talking, and recording matches sections. I believe it's very important to encourage the other person, you don't want them to get all discouraged, and possibly have one less person to brawl.

Talking during a match I think is fine, but I think it leads to worse gameplay. You just aren't concentrated enough. I've never been in a tournament myself, but i'm just absolutely positive that if someone was recording, I would want to try to do extra good, and then over try, and end up losing. If I didn't know someone was recording, that'd be fine though.

I personally don't agree with the taunting section though. Unless like you said, they politely ask you to, "Please stop using that taunt", I believe it's perfectly acceptable to do whatever taunt you like. The only other time this rule would apply would be if either you or the opposing brawler continuosly kept on doing a taunt, for the sole purpose to upset you. Most people I know don't take taunts THAT seriously.

Good read overall, keep up these great posts!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Thanks, everyone.

You're right about that as well, NAKEDeDeDe, that is, taunting just to annoy your opponent on purpose. Thanks for comment. :)

JCav

Smash Lord
you know, etiquette in my eyes is a big part of smash. however there are many people who dont see it the same way. for example, i won a local tourney and me and my friend were playing for a couple of hours and then he says "im gonna win the next tourney we go to"

my point, there are different people who play this game. there are a lot of smack talkers, in brawl or anything really. i mean i agree with you, i think people should respect the person they play whether they know them or they will never see them again. but theres cocky people who will always taunt and say your not ready yet

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I taunt with the most discreet taunt (i.e. Brawl's Peach Melee taunt), unless I finished the opponent's last stock. But I generally not taunt, most of the time it feels like I'm insulting/being insulted.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Great thread, but what will occur if the person you are brawling with is just a complete A-hole? I know you should still try to be as etiquette as possible, but what if you've had it with the opponent and are about to explode?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Great thread, but what will occur if the person you are brawling with is just a complete A-hole? I know you should still try to be as etiquette as possible, but what if you've had it with the opponent and are about to explode?
Well, tell him or her that you don't want to play with them anymore if he or she is going to act that way. Everyone has different personalities. Some have more desireable personality traits than others. Other than that, I'd hope no one would have to put up with that kind of stuff, even at a tournament.

NDUDE said:
I like it when people badmouth me during a match. It's probably them swearing at me for owning them. :)

Edit: I just realized how cocky that sounded...My bad.
Well, if you can put up with the bad-mouthing, then I commend you for being resilient. After the match, perhaps you could tell the person who bad-mouthed you that you enjoyed the game and encourage him. If he is not willing to be encouraged, or if he blows off your kind words, such as, "I had fun brawling with you. I hope that we can brawl again some time," then you are not obliged to persuade him into seeing you from a different light.

Top Bottom