• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essential Corrin Guide

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 8: On certain fastfallers (Such as Roy and Fox) You can true combo paralyzer train them across the stage. This usually starts around 90% or so, and I do not know when it ends, though it's probably around 110%. This is mainly used to rack up damage and get them across the stage for a forward smash. Make sure to angle it up on the last DFS to reach them.
Here's a link to a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-IM_SQQL_Q
The actual Demo starts at 3:58
Props to Izaw smash for demonstrating this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

To be honest, I actually do appreciate the **** you're doing here. We need this. We need more of you. For such an empty board, we need quality content to make up for it, at the very least.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 9: Corrin's down tilt edge-guard

Corrin, like many characters, can downtilt at the ledge for a 2 frame edge-guard. What most people don't know is what exactly combos off it, how it works, and what spacing you should use. What makes this weird is the knockback of downtilt itself. Downtilt has diagonal vertical knockback, sending them behind Corrin. This means that sometimes, the other character can get clip the stage. Keep in mind this will not stage spike them (maybe on Battlefield, since it has the wonkiest edges) it will simply knock them up in front of you. At low percents, you can true combo it into a tipper upsmash that will kill at the percents it connects. Keep in mind that when up air connects, it won't always kill at the early percents it connects, but it does true combo longer than normal down tilt to up air. At lower percents, if they go too high for upsmash you can do the double jump tipper side b mix up, or the single jump neutral special mixup. These won't kill at the percents they can be used and they aren't 100% guaranteed, but it is a good mix up. You can also get a Rear Spear tipper if they airdodge.

I've only seen down tilt two frame once in tourney (Shout out to Ryuga), though the odd knock back mentioned above prevented an actual KO. Also keep in mind that they can tech the hit, though if they do that, you can Dragon Lunge their tech and it's guaranteed. Unless they don't tech jump.

D

Deleted member 189823

Corrin Tidbit No# 9: Corrin's down tilt edge-guard
I've tried D-Tilt U-Smash several times, and it's suuuuper situational. For starters, getting the 2-frame. Second, the window it can actually kill is either restricted to like 1% difference or it might as well not exist. I only saw work on Ike on the art of Corrin, and it's barely at the percentage it connects/kill...without DI. Hence, basically non-existent. I can see D-Tilt U-air being a lot better here, since it'll pop them up at higher percents due to the height. D-Tilting just seems like the least optimal edgeguard. I think the best is simply going for the trump, as it almost garantees the kill (Trump = TIPPER/B-air/Reverse Bite, no invincibility = TIPPER).

This has nothing to do with Corrin, but I just started playing Bayonetta for the first time yesterday. After about 3 hours of playing her.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIdmvOiLKlc
thats dumb

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I've tried D-Tilt U-Smash several times, and it's suuuuper situational. For starters, getting the 2-frame. Second, the window it can actually kill is either restricted to like 1% difference or it might as well not exist. I only saw work on Ike on the art of Corrin, and it's barely at the percentage it connects/kill...without DI. Hence, basically non-existent. I can see D-Tilt U-air being a lot better here, since it'll pop them up at higher percents due to the height. D-Tilting just seems like the least optimal edgeguard. I think the best is simply going for the trump, as it almost garantees the kill (Trump = TIPPER/B-air/Reverse Bite, no invincibility = TIPPER).

thats dumb
XD I know!

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
D

Deleted member 189823

yeah, more Corrin weeb. Anything new?

Last edited by a moderator:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
yeah, more Corrin weeb. Anything new?
Just so it's known, I do not choose female Corrin based on anime weabisim, it is solely because I prefer her taunts and appearance to male Corrin's, whose hair is almost as impossibly stupid as FF7 Cloud.

On a weab side note: Who is that in the profile pic?

Last edited:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Corrin Tidbit No# 10(We've hit double digits!): Dragon Ascent priority
As many of you probably know, Corrin's up b, despite being fairly slow on start up and movement, is among one of the hardest recoveries to edge guard. What most people don't know is why, and it is very important to know why.
Dragon Ascent has 8 hits, and does a total of 13% damage, with minimal knockback. The move has invincibility at the start of it, and once the wings come out, Corrin is vulnerable at her head and legs. What makes this move difficult to edgeguard is the fact that the hitboxes of the wings surround her body, making it difficult to accurately space a move around the hitbox, as well as the fact that very few characters have the range to stay outside of the wings and hit Corrin's head. The multiple hits also means that the wings have priority over a lot of moves, though this can also lead to clanking with other multi hit or long lasting moves (see Esam How to edgeguard Corrin for more info).
This priority means that various edgeguards that would work on most characters, do not apply to Corrin. One of the most notable ones, and ones that I had been wondering about for a long time, was Villagers Forward smash A.K.A the Bowling Ball. In the match Cosmos vs Aarvark, Corrin's up B priority not only clanked with the move, but beat it out right, saving Cosmos from certain death and loss of the match. He was able to achieve this by angling the up B in such a way that the wings would protect him from the bowling ball.
To summarize, Corrin's up b is safe against a lot of edgeguards, and takes priority, so you can recovery without fear.

D

Deleted member 189823

Move has been stupidly underrated from the very beggining, when it's actually one of the better recoveries. It's saved me from so much ****, as well as it allows me for a certain flexibility at gimping/edgeguarding that you wouldn't even figure.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Move has been stupidly underrated from the very beggining, when it's actually one of the better recoveries. It's saved me from so much ****, as well as it allows me for a certain flexibility at gimping/edgeguarding that you wouldn't even figure.
I think the only downside to the move is that it's very difficult to stage spike someone with it. They either have to be at ridiculously high percents or you have to get just the right hit box. I forgot to mention that in the tidbit, but still very slept on as a recovery. The aerial drift on this has surprised and saved me when I thought I couldn't make it back.

D

Deleted member 189823

That's not even a weakness. It's minimal as it comes.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
That's not even a weakness. It's minimal as it comes.
I said downside, not weakness.
.....Why is Corrin so low on the tier list? Corrin's so good, with very few Bad match-ups. Oh my god. We're turning into the Shulk/pit player base

D

Deleted member 189823

I think we're a lot more like Yoshi in that aspect, if anything. People can tell you're good, but there aren't any high-level players putting in the work. And I do agree, I think we only really lose to Sheik & Fox.

Nah

Smash Champion
McGyver Corrin's in high tier on the current official list

what about that could possibly be too low

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I think we're a lot more like Yoshi in that aspect, if anything. People can tell you're good, but there aren't any high-level players putting in the work. And I do agree, I think we only really lose to Sheik & Fox.
McGyver Corrin's in high tier on the current official list

what about that could possibly be too low
Most tier lists I've looked at, top players included, rank her at B or C. I personally don't care about the tier list, since if Corrin were higher people would call me a tier *****, but still it's annoying.
To Oz: Yoshi has two top players, Sky and the Wall (who lives in my city btw), similar to Corrin who has Cosmos and Ryuga (the former of whom lives in my region). They just don't travel. Though Cosmos has said that he will be traveling to more big tournaments, which is great.
Also guess we can say that Cosmos is currently the best Corrin in the world, since he outplaced Ryuga at TBH 6 by a fairly big margin.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Big News: Corrin tidbit No 11 is on the way, and will be covering and analyzing all of Corrin's edge guarding options, offstage options, and gimping tools.
It's going to take a while, so I'll be covering it in a separate document, exactly like my character MU guides. After this guide, I will focus on going Balls Deep into Corrin's stage select, since I will finally, most definitely, certainly, be getting my Wii U this weekend.

"But there were dark Clouds on the Horizon"

D

Deleted member 189823

To Oz: Yoshi has two top players, Sky and the Wall (who lives in my city btw), similar to Corrin who has Cosmos and Ryuga (the former of whom lives in my region). They just don't travel. Though Cosmos has said that he will be traveling to more big tournaments, which is great.
Also guess we can say that Cosmos is currently the best Corrin in the world, since he outplaced Ryuga at TBH 6 by a fairly big margin.
"Top player" and "best in the world [with X character] are such loose, blanket statements, let alone with poorly-represented characters to begin with. None of the abovementioned are actually high/top-level players (national-level threats, think ZeRo, Ally, Anti, etc.). At best, like I mentioned, they're " the best with their characters, which can only mean so much. I still think Ryo gives them a run for their money, and he's barely even using Corrin.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
"Top player" and "best in the world [with X character] are such loose, blanket statements, let alone with poorly-represented characters to begin with. None of the abovementioned are actually high/top-level players (national-level threats, think ZeRo, Ally, Anti, etc.). At best, like I mentioned, they're " the best with their characters, which can only mean so much. I still think Ryo gives them a run for their money, and he's barely even using Corrin.
I personally don't like Ryo's play style, as he is very read based, which Corrin can do, but not as well as Ike would. Which is to say, If she reads an airdodge with a forward smash at 60, no one's going to die. I just like Cosmos patience and Ryuga's aggressiveness. Though you are right about them not being national threats (though in their defence, they have college)

D

Deleted member 189823

It wasn't a combo, and my point was that you can actually kill stupid early with Corrin off of simple reads like that. He actually forgot to airdodge, but it wouldn't have made a difference. In another Game, I actually kill him at 65 (with roughly the same rage at about the same distance near the ledge) off of Bite. Corrin packs a punch in most of his/her punches, it's just not what you'd expect.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
It wasn't a combo, and my point was that you can actually kill stupid early with Corrin off of simple reads like that. He actually forgot to airdodge, but it wouldn't have made a difference. In another Game, I actually kill him at 65 (with roughly the same rage at about the same distance near the ledge) off of Bite. Corrin packs a punch in most of his/her punches, it's just not what you'd expect.
That's true, I did forget about the bite plus rage.
Please direct me the video.

Top Bottom