• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DREAM secondary.

TKD

Smash Lord
Most characters have a disadvantage against BOTH Snake and Metaknight. This has always been a problem when most people look for a character that covers all/most of their main's bad matchups.

Fox is Metaknight's only bad matchup.
Fox goes even against Snake, some say Fox has a slight advantage.

Beating this game's two most popular characters, makes Fox the secondary us overly analytic players have been looking for all along. Falco and G&W can almost do this too, but they're even at most (at MOST!!), against both of the top 2.

And sorry Fox players, for not actually writing about a dream secondary for Fox, only for other characters. I'm mean like that.

Irow

Smash Ace
Wait what?

Fox is in no way MK's bad match-up.

If anything, it'd be the other way around.

I'll give you Snake, but no way vs. Meta.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Fox is in no way MK's bad match-up.

If anything, it'd be the other way around.
There is no way in hell that GayKnight is Fox's worst match-up. Far from it, in fact.

The absolute lowest I will EVER go with Mk fox match-up is 55:45 Mk advantage. That is the Lowest I will go with it. I personally think it is 55:45 Fox advantage.

Also i think it is 60:40 fox adv over Snake and so do most smart ppl on these boards.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Yes, the talk of the town is whether fox should be banned for his 100:0 against MK.

this is melee fox we're talking about, right?:laugh:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Sigh...

Fox has an advantage match against MK and an even match against Snake...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Fox is either 50-50 or 65-45 (very optimistic) against snake, and Fox is 30-70 against MK. He in NO WAY has an advantage over MK. I really wish people would stop falsely proclaiming he has an advantage/ goes even.

M@v

Subarashii!
IMHO, Fox is 6-4 vs snake, and 4-6 vs mk. 4-6 vs mk isnt bad considering MK...has no bad matchups...

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Fox goes even with MK, 50:50 or 60:40 against Snake.

We've already done this in the matchup thread and debunked whatever myths were out there. I don't want to go through that again, because it's a waste of time for everyone.

M@v

Subarashii!
Look I respect fox and think he is great, but even with mk is pushing it . if that was true, everyone and their ****ing mother would play fox. NOT EVEN SNAKE GOES EVEN WITH MK FFS!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Look I respect fox and think he is great, but even with mk is pushing it . if that was true, everyone and their ****ing mother would play fox.
Well, nobody knows... : / People know about Diddy doing well because people actually play Diddy...

I think it'd be amazing for people to pick up Fox to counter MK. lolol

Akamaru94

Smash Rookie
Fox actually isn't that bad of a match up against Snake since all his grenades are useless since the lazer blows them up. Snake can't keep up with Fox's speed and attacks, and Fox can use a lot of the mines Snake plants against him. Most of this match {Fox Vs Snake} is about timing since Snake can lay out grenades to wreck Fox's recovery always aim for the ledge instead of the stage but this is just my opinion I personally have never had much trouble with Snake.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Don't act like Fox' lasers completely negate the grenades though. They can get passed them.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
I would believe Fox is even vs. snake, but no way against MK. If anything, MK and Snake might have to change their strategies a bit but that doesn't mean that Fox has advantageous match-ups against those 2.

JST

Smash Apprentice
tbh, I find that some of you fuys overrate Fox a little too much. Granted, he's one of the most underestimated characters in the game (I'll use Fox sometimes in friendlies and people go' wtf fox lol') and he's a lot better than people think (But then again this applies for every character except Snake, Falco, and Meta Knight imo), but this is a bit much.

Fox's lasers prevents Snake from using grenades as a projectile. Whoopee. But he can also use them to set-up traps, create pressure, mindgame, grenade-counter, cover himself as he recovers, etc.

Fox also has to deal with mortars, C4/grenade/mine traps, the fact that Snake out-prioritizes Fox and kills him pretty **** early, and Snake's huuuge damage racking capability.

Very worst i'd xay is 4:6. At the very most I'd say Fox is at a minor disadvantage, mainly because he limits some of Snake's vast amount of options and he doesn't have to approach.

I have no comment to the MK thing. If you think Fox has an advantage, play better MKs.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
How in hell does fox have an advantage on MK? You put an easy to gimp character with the gimp king of brawl, your kind of at a disadvantage the moment your off the stage.

As for the snake thing, others got it covered.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Fox is terrible against MK, just he is in no way even/neutral to him.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
How in hell does fox have an advantage on MK? You put an easy to gimp character with the gimp king of brawl, your kind of at a disadvantage the moment your off the stage.

As for the snake thing, others got it covered.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Fox is terrible against MK, just he is in no way even/neutral to him.
For the last time, if you don't play Fox, don't talk about his recovery. There are so many different things Fox can do to mix up his recovery and make it unpredictable.

JST

Smash Apprentice
For the last time, if you don't play Fox, don't talk about his recovery. There are so many different things Fox can do to mix up his recovery and make it unpredictable.
Such as?

Not callin you out or anythin. It's just been buggin me for a while. The only things I can think of are that roflcopter thing and shine.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Such as?

Not callin you out or anythin. It's just been buggin me for a while. The only things I can think of are that roflcopter thing and shine.
As long as you still have your second jump, your going to have the option of using the copter. Most of the time you don't even need the recovery move to make the edge as long as you've saved your second jump.

Throwing out shines at different points in your recovery process also throws off your opponents timing and makes Fox very unpredictable.

Illusion has great distance, it can be outprioritized by everything, but it gets you to the ledge very quick. It can also be cancelled to make it even better.

FireFox has insane vertical distance. Granted, if you use it under the stage, most of the time you will get gimped but as long as you mix in your other options, you should be fine.

I could go more in depth, but I really don't think it's necessary. Foxs' recovery isn't fantastic, but it's certainly not "easy to gimp" and it is very unpredictable. As a Fox player, as long as you don't follow a specific pattern everytime, you will be fine.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Not only does MK have more options for edgeguarding you than you have options on recovery, fox's recovery is extremely easy to deal with.

Always assume he's going to illusion from where he is (nothing he can do get's him any better of a predicament; i.e. shining/ rising fairing), if he does, hit him out of it, or when he lands, or edgehog. If he doesn't he'll have to firefox, which is typically easy to find where fox'll need to go to. Fox can mix it up a bit, but a good player can easily react to this, since the fox is far away from the stage (if they were close, they'd just kill you out of firefox charge-up). If the fox is in distance of double jump/ rising fair recovery, assume that; if he doesn't go for the stage, then refer back to the beginning of this discussion.

TKD

Smash Lord
I didn't post this to ask what the matchup odds are. Fox is better than Snake, G&W and Falco against Meta Knight, all of which you board fanatics call "even matchups".

MK vs Fox analysis...
-In the air.
Metaknight below Fox:
MK is in a dangerous position below Fox. If MK takes the air, Fox's dair beats all of MK's aerials more than half the time. Dair drags him into the ground by following DI which allows Fox to follow up. If MK decides to stay grounded and Fox baits his shield once, his shield is too bad compared to other characters and Fox's aerials can go through it (shinestalling is Fox's baiting tool). Spotdodging doesn't stall long enough for Fox's nair to miss, since he can fastfall at any time he's willing. Oh, and if MK moves away, Fox can fastfall avoiding him, while airdodging if he wants.
-Metaknight above Fox:
MK's fair and bair hit to the sides and have smaller hitboxes downwards than upwards. Dair's hitbox lasts little and he can't dair as quickly as he can upair. Fox can jump towards MK and nair, which always works unless MK airdodges, which is the best he can do in that situation (besides Mach Tornado) and only ends up in no one hurt but in no advantage for MK.
-Mach Tornado issues:
Fox has none. He quickly pops up out of tornadoes and he can either beat them from above or stall them out.
-Shuttle loop issues:
Fox falls quickly and his dair beats shuttle loop if MK is too close horizontally (like G&W, except Fox's dair is quicker), if MK is too far horizontally, Fox can go for the edge or shinestall a bit (he can always shinestall a bit, by the way).
-Downsmash:
Hard to hit for MK, punished if shielded, and nair beats it if Fox falls towards MK.
-Camping, stalling:
MK has trouble dair camping without getting naired all of a sudden, Fox can actually rely on safe shinestalling and making MK rush to him via lasers (which are always connecting and replenish his moves btw).

Plus Fox can do all of the generic nair/dair to uptilt/dash attack stuff on MK. As far as I've seen, MK and fox can both KO from above 80% from a smash, but MK has to go through the trouble of successfully edgeguarding, while Fox only has to wait for MK to respawn and kick him a couple more times. Fox has a relatively easier time stringing moves together by the way, so a 1 stock advantage easily gets to 1 stock adv plus MK at around 50% (from one string of hits, example nair to uptilt x1 or x2 to downthrow to nair). Both characters can string attacks effectively, I think Fox does it more effectively at lower percentages, while MK does it better at middle %, but strings are still not a guarantee above mid percentages.

Fox vs MK is easier than a MK ditto. G&W/Falco/Snake vs MK is HARDER. Unrelliable KO'ing as G&W, lack of options as Falco, lack of not getting shuttle looped to death as Snake.

I'm the best MK player in Tijuana, Mexico and go even against DSF (I can't say I'm as good as him, because he seems to do much better against other people). I know my MK ditto gameplay and I know why I started playing Fox. I would like to know what people think about Fox as a secondary because of this breakthrough, not if people think he loses to them or beats them, which I don't need confirmation of. This thread seems to have gotten only replies of either frustrated Fox players that hate their own character, people who <<a) play b) hate c) all of the above>> Metaknight, or from Fenrir VII, the guy who's right, that people are gonna ignore because he's not a Metaknight player, I'm guessing.

My post was about Fox being a good secondary character because of a couple of his matchups, not about asking for reassurance to know if Fox beats them or not. I tried to EXPLAIN this. If you want to ignore my post and want to keep stating "MK>everyone" (which is what you're stating since Fox is his hardest matchup), then complain in the matchup thread and let the objective ones post their thoughts.

People post like they play BOTH characters (or at least ONE OF THEM), and like they actually win tournaments based on their "thoughts". Not knowledge, because for you to know something, it should be true, right? Unless I'm wrong...oh wait...I'm the one who makes sense here. I can't be wrong.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Snake I can see. Being a 65/45 in Fox favor. (This being the max)

But MK. Hell to the no. If anything, you're recovery will be screwed or predicted to be where he wants you to be. With a smash attack waiting.

TKD

Smash Lord
lawl 65/45? Snake is really hard. I think they're even or at least close to that. MK may be even for Fox I think. Nair and dthrow are too good. But I was exaggerating when I made the thread. I thought MK beats absolutely everything, but he may be beatable by more than himself. I'll keep checking it out.

EDIT: It's just as likely to get KOed from your recovery than to already have KOed your opponent so I don't get why everyone tries to make that point, since both characters can get effective KOs. Switching up Fox's recovery doesn't help too much, but nothing much helps MK from not dying from upsmash after getting hit or from getting blastered half the match.

Top Bottom