• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Donkey Kong Cheat Sheet - Match-Ups at a Glance!

Neon!

Smash Lord
He definitely does out range her, but the moves are predictable, and Peach has turnips to cover DK's few options for spacing. When Peach comes into Shield range, she can pressure DK all day, until he gets away again.

I still think it's 50/50.
Peach can definitely put a lot of pressure on dk's shield and her ground game is much faster, but dk beats her in the air and has the best u-tilt to beat her dair. Her dair is not nearly as safe as you think it is on dk's shield. As Ive already mentioned the main reason he wins slightly is because of killing power. He can survive longer than anyone else in the game with up-b brake and has plenty of killing options. It also doenst help that Peach is the weakest mid tier character (besides shiek arguably) On most stages dk will be killing between 95-120% and peach will be killing at 160+ depending on how stale fair and u-smash are.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Peach can definitely put a lot of pressure on dk's shield and her ground game is much faster, but dk beats her in the air and has the best u-tilt to beat her dair. Her dair is not nearly as safe as you think it is on dk's shield. As Ive already mentioned the main reason he wins slightly is because of killing power. He can survive longer than anyone else in the game with up-b brake and has plenty of killing options. It also doenst help that Peach is the weakest mid tier character (besides shiek arguably) On most stages dk will be killing between 95-120% and peach will be killing at 160+ depending on how stale fair and u-smash are.
I wasn't talking about Dair.

Peach doesn't need to rely on Dair to pressure someone of DK's size. her ground game is quick enough to shuffle around DK. Again, the fact that she has turnips allows her to cover the few options he has in that moment. Peach isn't going to "spam" turnips, but it'll allow her really good entry way to his shield for pressure, which will eventually lead to damage, due to the small shield he already has. If DK wants to Bair camp, Peach's Usmash will hit him out of it(If you don't believe me, ask Nicole).

In this MU DK will need to heavily rely on Mix ups to protect himself from pressure, and make his walling and camping unpredictable. Peach is very capable of punishing his Mix ups is she figures them out, since DK really needs to perfectly place moves to not get punished by after lag. That's what makes it easier for us to approach.

Once Peach gets her pressure going, she's one of the hardest characters to shake off. If he can't get her away and start spacing again, we will definitely catch up in damage, and it'll be extremely difficult to counter attack. That's what makes the MU even.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Neon I'll have to remember to MM you or something if we meet at WHOBO3. DK is apparently one of my best known matchups according to how I've performed against all the best players (except Cable, haven't played him yet) of the character.

I firmly believe it is even with no slight favor either way.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Neon I'll have to remember to MM you or something if we meet at WHOBO3. DK is apparently one of my best known matchups according to how I've performed against all the best players (except Cable, haven't played him yet) of the character.

I firmly believe it is even with no slight favor either way.
If we meet we'll definitly make it a MM, all my matches with the other top peaches were just friendlies.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
ATTENTION

As some of you may be aware, the BRB is undergoing its biggest project ever - a full matchup chart. I've been selected to lead the DK effort, but I need some help in what hopefully will be some AIM/chatroom discussions. This is serious monkey business. I'm specifically asking (as it was suggested to me) for Will, Bum?, Ook, Ripple, and Cable to share their matchup opinions. Everyone else's input is also useful, but i think discussion would be most proactive in the DK chat (which i will now be checking in periodically if anyone wants to chat)
The goal is have every matchups rated in a 9-tiered system:

+4: (close to) unloseable
+3: large advantage/hard counter
+2: solid advantage/soft counter
+1: slight advantage
=: even
-1: slight disadvantage
-2: solid disadvantage/soft countered
-3: large disadvantage/hard countered
-4: (close to) unwinnable

my AIM is: TheCyphus. I often idle, but you can leave a message about matchups, your favorite dinosaur, or anything...i'll at least save your contact for future endeavors. Hopefully though, we can chat a bit on some matchups at a time. We will definitely have some disagreements, but that is where discussion is most crucially needed. Whatever matchup rankings I settle with are not necessarily what will be finalized - as it will surely conflict with other progressing character charts. It is far too exhaustive an effort to absorb everyone's opinion, but all the previous discussions and knowledge we've gained will surely be taken into consideration.

obviously, we've already got a matchup chart, but this is a new format that is less vague and is worth reevaluation (the cheat-sheet is 5 months old anyway). I'll be poking in the DK chatroom here and there and expecting anyone to AIM me, until we settup group discussions in the chat hopefully!
Once we've settled the numbers, and possibly a small writeup explaining why, I'll take care of it from there.

I imagine this very thread is also a good place for discussion, notes, and dissection of matchups.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think AIM and chatrooms would work significantly better since it may not be necessary to go super in-depth, but if it proves too difficult I'll take any write-up seriously. This would be a good example.
Lucas: +4

For a Lucas player to not make any mistake is the only way I can see this match not impossible for him to win. DK needs a single grab to guarantee a stock loss. Cargo-reset infinite into d.smash is terribly easy to learn. (Unnecessarily, he can incremently adjust their position while doing so.) Obviously if the Lucas is aware of this he'll make it terribly difficult to get grabbed, but DK has significant advantage elsewhere, even if he considers the infinite for only the obvious windows.

DK has an easier time edgeguarding Lucas w/ B.air and UpB, and if he can just edgehog...he can usually guarantee a GiantPunch or, at worst, a free D.smash. Lucas has tools against DK's recovering, but DK has tools to avoid anything fatal. The range disadvantage is also evident and DK can always benefit from trading hits.

Lucas's projectile/keep away game is only going to exploit carelessness, but used safely gives him breathing room in between one of his few advantages: shield pressure via N.air (often out of shield) and full jump D.air. Both chip at DK's shield and invite poke-age, which Lucas can drift to safer zones and have frame advantage for Jabs or tilts. When in doubt, DK should shield-camp and roll away, or DI and doublejump to escape early juggles, D.tilt locks, or trips to smash attacks.
Because DK is huge, PK Thunder can potentially rack up ridiculous damage (30+), but fortunately DK has a thing about giving little **** until 150+%, while Lucas is reliably killed at 100%, if not earlier from a pawnch.

Assuming top play, a careful DK may take chunks of damage here and there, but has many more opportunities to gimp, easily outsurvive, or infinite. This should be DK's strongest matchup.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
of course the BBR wants bum instead of ook, this is clear favoritsm in the BBR.

bum places well once every 2-3 months if that. and thats at locals only. ook and I at least go to non locals.

I'm sick of everyone meat riding bum and not ook. I don't even care that its me. ook is never given respect.

btw will and cable RARELY post here. bum never has

/rage

Cable

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Ripple replace Bum with ook. Bum never posts and probably never will LOL

And I would gladly help with this MU discussion and I believe Will would most likely be glad to help also he has alot of knowledge of MU's just keep me updated.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
its not favoritism of the brb, trust me. Familiar names were just suggested by Marc (admin) who, admittedly, was not the expert on the issue and actually left it open for each character leader to seek out information how we see fit - as I am currently doing. =]
I was being a bit too official..but trust me, I would value input from Ook, Ripple, and any one else who's experience carries confidence in matchup knowledge.

Ideally, if the representative bunch of us could be in a chat at one time, we could just go down the list of characters one by one - and if we're mostly in agreement with a number that would be perfect and we could just move on.
Again, this job was given to me. Ya'll contribution is optional, but very appreciated =>

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
of course the BBR wants bum instead of ook, this is clear favoritsm in the BBR.

bum places well once every 2-3 months if that. and thats at locals only. ook and I at least go to non locals.

I'm sick of everyone meat riding bum and not ook. I don't even care that its me. ook is never given respect.

btw will and cable RARELY post here. bum never has

/rage
I'll meatride him?
:3

No, but on a serious note, if you all want any more help, I'm pretty good at MU analysis. I can help at any given point in time. Just let me know.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
these are some rough draft thoughts. If ya'll would join me, it'd probably make clearer which matchups we should discuss more.
edited:

Mario: +1
Luigi: +1
Peach: =
Bowser: +2
Donkey Kong: =
Diddy Kong: -2
Yoshi: +1
Wario: -1
Link: +2
Zelda & Sheik: +1
Zelda alone: +3
Sheik alone: +1
Ganondorf: +2
Toon Link: -1
Samus: +2
Zero Suit Samus: -1
Pit: -1
Ice Climbers: =
R.O.B.: =
Kirby: +1
Meta Knight: -3
King Dedede: -3
Olimar: -3
Fox: -1
Falco: -3
Wolf: =
Captain Falcon: +2
Pikachu: -2
Pokemon Trainer: +1
Lucario: +1
Jigglypuff: +3
Marth: =
Ike: =
Ness: +2
Lucas: +4
Mr. Game & Watch: =
Snake: =
Sonic: -1

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
these are some rough draft thoughts. If ya'll would join me, it'd probably make clearer which matchups we should discuss more.

Mario: +1 agree
Luigi: +2 disagree +1
Peach: = agree
Bowser: +2 disagree +1
Donkey Kong: = disagree +5
Diddy Kong: -2 disagree -1
Yoshi: = disagree +1
Wario: -1/=disagree -2
Link: +2 agree
Zelda & Sheik: +2? agree
Zelda alone: +3 agree
Sheik alone: +2 disagree +1
Ganondorf: +2 agree
Toon Link: -1 agree
Samus: +2 agree
Zero Suit Samus: -1 agree
Pit: -2 disagree -1
Ice Climbers: = agree
R.O.B.: = agree
Kirby: +1 agree
Meta Knight: -3 agree
King Dedede: -3 agree
Olimar: -3 agree
Fox: -1 agree
Falco: -3 disagree -1
Wolf: = disagree -1
Captain Falcon: +2 agree
Pikachu: -2 disagree -1
Pokemon Trainer: +1? agree?
Lucario: +2 disagree =
Jigglypuff: +3? agree
Marth: +1/= agree
Ike: = agree
Ness: +2 agree
Lucas: +4 agree
Mr. Game & Watch: =/+1 agree
Snake: = agree
Sonic: -2 disagree -1
there ya go

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
lol Ripple, how can Zelda + Sheik be a better match-up than just Sheik?

More or less agree with what Ripple has put, I'll trust him on some of those numbers, but I'll dispute Olimar and Lucario.

Oli is -1. Olimar wins the match-up, he's too good at keeping us away and keeping us from landing. And we're pretty bad at getting pikmin off. It all builds damage too quickly. He makes it hard to get off the ledge too.

But the reason it's not a free win for him is just how we ruin everything he has as soon as we get a solid hit. Any good b-air, d/b/cargo-throw, u-tilt, or down-b if they're closer to the edge, all put him in a horrible position: in the air and near DK. Any time you get Olimar in this position, it should be at minimum 50%, if not a stock. He's too slow to escape, and too floaty to land quick enough. We beat his attacks and he obviously can't grab in the air. Whistle and Airdodge both keep him in the same position, he's super easy to punch if you react to either of them, and if you did attack, you can still very much get an easy grab afterwards. Whistle n-air doesn't work if you keep yourself at a good range, it just gets him punched/f-tilted. He's also very vulnerable to charged f-smashes and giant punches in this position for the same reasons. Second jumping away will at best put him on a platform if there is one, which is obviously a bad spot. Even if he does land on the ground, he has to then get you out to avoid the situation being repeated. Basically, DK is just too darn big for him to get away from.

Other than that, the fact that his grab has no grab armor makes approaching not so bad. Anytime he grabs he's open to down-b, f-tilt, and giant punch. He actually can have a lot of trouble killing DK too. He can't get close enough for his kill moves if you're not walking towards him, red f-air is probably the most reliable kill move he has here.

Depending on your region, our CPs ruin him too. Most of our good stages are also his good stages. If Norfair and PS2 are legal though, he loses badly on both of those, basically guaranteeing a win on your CP. Otherwise, Yoshi's is always solid(removes his ledge pressure, harder to get away), and Lylat is good here (the slopes really help approaching). Between FD and Halberd, his CPs vs us are pretty good but definitely manageable. Pictochat is nothing to be worried about here, I might even argue we do better there vs him.

I don't feel like typing a bunch for Lucario, but I'll just say we outrange him, outspeed him, and outpower him, and we beat all his usual tricks. His combos are cool but escape isn't difficult given how slow he is. +2, I could see a +1 though.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Bowser: +2 disagree +1
Donkey Kong: = disagree +5
Diddy Kong: -2 disagree -1
Yoshi: = disagree +1
Wario: -1/=disagree -2
Link: +2 agree
Zelda & Sheik: +2? agree
Zelda alone: +3 agree
Sheik alone: +2 disagree +1
Samus: +2 agree
Zero Suit Samus: -1 agree
Pit: -2 disagree -1
Ice Climbers: = agree
R.O.B.: = agree
Kirby: +1 agree
Falco: -3 disagree -1
Wolf: = disagree -1
Pokemon Trainer: +1? agree?
Lucario: +2 disagree =
Marth: +1/= agree
Ike: = agree
Mr. Game & Watch: =/+1 agree
Snake: = agree
Sonic: -2 disagree -1
I agree with most of ripples ratios and believe they are more accurate than cyphus' first draft, but I disagree on a couple of them.

Olimar -2 His ground game beats ours but we can deal plenty of damage oce we get inside his zone. He's easier to juggle with Utilt and Bair than most of the cast considering his weight and falling speed, he's not too hard to gimp considering that cargo-Dthrow puts him in a tough spot recovery wise. He's difficult to play but its still manageable. (Olimars Ive played: Logic, Denti)

Falco -2 I definitely see falco as a soft counter to us, his chain grab, lazer/phantasm are very effective and give us few options in approaching. Once we do get inside his zone though we can deal a decent amount of damage, the focal point of this matchup though is when falco attempts to kill. He can easily get us to 100+ percent but shouldnt be killing until 150+. Both Ripple and DEHF believe it is only -1 for DK but I havent heard of any top dks beating any notable falcos and every dk I met at MLG Dallas lost to at least one falco.
(Falco's I've played: DEHF, TYpex, Ripple)

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Bowser: +2 agree
Donkey Kong: = agree
Diddy Kong: -2 agree
Yoshi: = disagree -2 (ARE YOU CRAZY RIPPLE?! CLEARLY YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED A GOOD YOSHI D=)
Wario: -1/= disagree =
Link: +2 disagree +3 xD
Zelda & Sheik: +2? disagree +1
Zelda alone: +3 disagree +2
Sheik alone: +2 agree
Samus: +2 disagree +1
Zero Suit Samus: -1 disagree =
Pit: -2 agree
Ice Climbers: = disagree -2
R.O.B.: = disagree +1
Kirby: +1 disagree -1 =(
Falco: -3 disagree -2
Wolf: = agree
Pokemon Trainer: +1? agree
Lucario: +2 disagree +1
Marth: +1/= disagree +1
Ike: = disagree +1
Mr. Game & Watch: =/+1 disagree +2
Snake: = disagree -1
Sonic: -2 disagree +2 I need to teach you guys how to fight Sonic. LOL

**If you guys have any questions on any of my decisions with the matchups, I have more than enough knowledge on pretty much each of them to back up my claims, just ask and I'll let it rip.**

Luigi player

Smash Master
imo:

Mario: +2
Bowser: +1
Diddy Kong: -1/-2
Yoshi: =
Wario: -1
Zelda alone: +2
Ganondorf: +2/+3
Toon Link: =
Samus: +1?
Zero Suit Samus: =
Pit: =/-1
Ice Climbers: =/-1
R.O.B.: =/+1
Kirby: =/+1
Meta Knight: -1
King Dedede: -9000 (-1 without infinite)
Olimar: -1/-2
Fox: =/-1
Falco: -2
Pikachu: =
Lucario: =
Marth: =
Ike: +1
Ness: +2 (+1 without cargo release infinite)
Lucas: +3 (+2 without cargo release infinite)
Mr. Game & Watch: +1
Snake: =
Sonic: =?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
alright, i'm looking at lists here and brb and these are some areas of concern:

Yoshi
most say +1 (via range/weight/KO), Will says -2 (presumably, pivot grab + chainthrow + projectile?) I was under the impression the chainthrow does not settup for Spike on DK. either way, i'm not convinced the chainthrow by itself is that amazing, even damagewise (since DK should ban FD). I've played Bwett (TX) before he switched to diddy, and yoshi seems easier to trade hits since he has to commit. Not that he's too light, but he still dies easy from 120%. I would settle for an =, however its been several months since i've played any great yoshi tbh. thoughts?

Wario
I'm glad to see many DK's feeling this isn't a ridiculously hard matchup anymore. I dont think we should jump the gun to =, but if we settle on -1, its definitely in the right direction, defending the many tools DK has in the matchup. the worst parts of the matchup for us are the early combos (d.air/n.air/bite) that give him an early lead, and camping with bike parts. the chainthrow isn't so fatal, and DK compromises with equally dangerous grabs.

Mr.G? alot of conflict here. G&W is one of the few characters who can kill DK early, although he's dead from anything at 100. he can combo DK and keep him in blindspots very well. DK gets to trade hits, and score giant punch KOs pretty easily though.

its pretty split decision on how DK does vs:
zelda: + 2/3
sheik: +1/2
zeik: +1/2
not sure how to handle this, but zelda is stupid easy to fight. just play smart (u shouldn't trade hits), and look for opportunities for giantpunch or d.smash oos. sheik's a little more complicated and I'm not seasoned against her much.
thoughts?

==============================
my attempt at a current consensus of thoughts here and in the brb.

Mario: +1
Bowser: +2
Diddy Kong: -2
Yoshi: = relies on eggs and pivot grab to chainthrow. outside that, shouldn't DK wreck?
Wario: -1 (both super gay against each other. wario takes early leads with true combos)
Zelda alone: +2
Ganondorf: +2
Toon Link: -1
Samus: 2 z.air is a pain, isn't that about it? lol smart DK should live to 150+
Zero Suit Samus: =
Pit: -1
Ice Climbers: -1
R.O.B.: = varying in both directions pretty evenly
Kirby: = same^
Meta Knight: -3
King Dedede: -4/-2
Olimar: -3
Fox: -1
Falco: -2
Pikachu: -1 pika ***** DK but lives half as long
Lucario: = they both **** each other pretty hard
Marth: = his blade dance oos ***** our extended hurtboxes pretty hard
Ike: +1 same, but w/ jab. easier to edgeguard though
Ness: +2 (the cargo release isn't ever banned)
Lucas: +4 ahem
Mr. Game & Watch: = alot of opinions here. -1 to +2. the truth may lie in b/w...
Snake: -1 seems to be growing popular based on snake camping his **** off
Sonic: = alot of conflict here. upb apparently helps the matchup, while a patient sonic can punish any whiff dk throws. iunno...

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
We can up-b out of here f-tilt combo, so yeah that is not a big problem with sheik. She does have some early combos, but thats what our weight is for. However she can melee edge guard us, but all you have to do is stall your upb and and your good.

And i say Yoshi is -1, he can poke our shields kinda hard, pivot grab has an extended grab box, so kinda hard to avoid, egg, egglay combos, chaingrab (does not go to spike though, just up b). Jab is annoying, he can get upair kills while we air recovering. We cant shield poke him, and hes running away alot so grounded up b is not a good move in this m.u.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Yoshiiiii D=

alright, i'm looking at lists here and brb and these are some areas of concern:

Yoshi
most say +1 (via range/weight/KO), Will says -2 (presumably, pivot grab + chainthrow + projectile?) I was under the impression the chainthrow does not settup for Spike on DK. either way, i'm not convinced the chainthrow by itself is that amazing, even damagewise (since DK should ban FD). I've played Bwett (TX) before he switched to diddy, and yoshi seems easier to trade hits since he has to commit. Not that he's too light, but he still dies easy from 120%. I would settle for an =, however its been several months since i've played any great yoshi tbh. thoughts?

Alright, here is where Cable and I can tell you the truth about this match-up: it's really damn hard xD The best two Yoshi's I have faced recently are Poltergust (from Florida) and DeltaCOD (from New Jersey) and they both give us a ridiculous amount of trouble. Here's why:

It's is very hard for DK to avoid getting grabbed while coming down from the air vs properly spaced egg throws and pivot grabs, aside from if you can land a spaced b-air, get to an edge, or get to a platform safely. Even if FD is banned, on most neutrals Yoshi still gets the pummel into aerial release chaingrab into as many times as he sees fit- and here's the worst part. It's not the f-air spike that we should be worried about, that doesn't work xD It's the up smash. Yoshi's running up smash is a follow up out of this chaingrab =/

This chaingrab is escapable however. What I usually do is mash up-b while falling down from the aerial release. Doing so actually conveniently allows DK to lagless land onto a platform if one is around (since buffering the up-b leads to perfect spacing for the landing) and if not, you should go for an edge, otherwise you'll get grabbed again lol. The issue with this is that if the Yoshi reads your up-b attempt, he can still up smash you... So at best Yoshi can get one aerial release into an up smash every time. In turn, this does everything he wanted in the first place- which is to get DK in the air. It becomes a vicious cycle from there.

Approaching Yoshi on the ground is pretty difficult since down b spacing is unsafe due to it's start up time, he can read either the lag beforehand and dash grab, dash up smash, or just sit back and throw eggs. F-tilt is unsafe to zone/space with like we can usually do, since whiffing it has enough lag to be dash grabbed and Yoshi's pivot grab outranges it =/. D-tilt is very good actually since Yoshi's shield sucks lol. Grounded up-b can actually be a useful approach given he does not have time/space to pivot grab you (or has a spot dodge habit =P). And since I never use anything but aerial headbutt, I've found that if you start reading Yoshi's pivot grab retreats once they become predictable, you can feint falling in front of him and headbutt him into the ground lol (b-air works as well if you bait properly)

My last series of woes with this match-up may perhaps be the most important. Yoshi has INCREDIBLE aerial mobility. Anytime DK is in the air, he is in extreme danger of being juggled by either eggs, up airs, or being re-grabbed or caught by an egg lay. The worst part comes off stage though =( Most DK's will try to go to the edge right? Well if Yoshi reads our up-b trajectory, he can either f-air, n-air, egg throw, or d-air into footstool. This makes fighting Yoshi offstage about as dangerous as fighting Kirby offstage, and we all know how that goes. My best advice would be to try to recover higher, but in that case Yoshi gets a free up air, which can lead to more up airs- his best KO option vs DK imo. Also, if you read the d-air and you are caught by it early enough in its duration, you have time to SDI up with both sticks and jump out, possibly footstooling him. If you try to recover too low though, and get hit with the last few hits/last hit of d-air, his footstooling you is guaranteed and all hope is lost, as well as DK's longevity since this can kill at any percent. The best chance at recovering in this match-up seems to be recover high, and take the up air. At least that way it might be too stale to kill you later =x

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
My own list of those MUs I've played with atleast fairly skilled players.

Snake = -1
MK = -2 Avoid Nado at all cost and this might be a bit more bearable. Always keep a punch stocked for an obvious nado.
Falco = -2
Diddy = -2 Dont let him do his nanner-lock /chain stuff.
GW = -1
Ganon = 3
Falcon = 2
Lucas = 3
Ness = 2
Olimar = -2 Cargo F-throw offstage ***** him.
Yoshi = 1
ROB = Even. Bair/Uair him all you can when he's recovering.
DDD = ****.
Lucario = -1
Mario = 1
Luigi = 1
Wario = -1
TL = Even.
Marth = -1
Ike = 1
Bowser = 1
IC = 1 Just Space his *** off with Bair, Ground pounds, D-tilt/F-tilt even grounded roflcopter might work. Punch/Fsmash/Throws offstage **** Nana.
ZSS = -1

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
It's actually pretty winnable if we avoid Nado.

In actuallity, Shuttle loop and Nado are what make the MU so hard, but avouding those 2 make it fairly winnable for us.

Cable

Smash Lord
100% agreed with everything Will said about Yoshi. Make it short Yoshi has fast jab spot dodge is quick a very campy yoshi that has good reactions to your Down B or your approaches is gonna be tough for DK to handle. And its hard for DK to land back on the ground when Yoshi is juggling him
Yoshi wins that MU but by a little tho DK still has some tricks up his tie XD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you guys obviously don't know how to play against yoshi, I should show you some time.

>_>

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Guys, I don't think Yoshi beats DK. I believe that they are pretty even, actually. :laugh:

Will, there is no way it's a -2 match-up for DK. That's like... Link vs. Yoshi, and it's nowhere near as bad as that.

:069:

Neon!

Smash Lord
I agree with polt here, its about even. I played one match with polt and three with another good yoshi (dont remember his name) at dallas and I did just fine.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Guys, I don't think Yoshi beats DK. I believe that they are pretty even, actually. :laugh:

Will, there is no way it's a -2 match-up for DK. That's like... Link vs. Yoshi, and it's nowhere near as bad as that.

:069:
If you guys say so =P I guess I am just really bad at that matchup and also very scared of Yoshi xD

I would still say it's -1 at best for DK though. The only thing DK has going for him here is that he can normally survive pretty long. You have to play perfect and always avoid getting gimped for it to be anywhere near even imo.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
That's thoroughly disappointing. I'd been trying it last night on aerials but it was wifi so I wasn't sure if I was even getting the hitbox out in time.

I suppose the only other option is to always have a giant punch ready to counter it. If anything, it might simply act as a deterrent, in which case if you simply stay on the ground, they will be much less likely to throw the nado out in the first place.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just having a punch pauses the tempo of the match, seriously. Usually I **** the hell out of DK until he gets a punch. When he has a punch and I do a predictable nado, it's a lot of damage and usually a kill to me.

Get that punch. Remember if the MK camps, you can just charge it. This is of course not always a good thing. When DK has his punch charged, MK has no reason not to stop camping anymore.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
True, but, and please correct me if i'm wrong, can't bair/upwards ftilt still space him better then mk's options, given correct timing? In which case it should be easier to deal with the camp.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
True, but, and please correct me if i'm wrong, can't bair/upwards ftilt still space him better then mk's options, given correct timing? In which case it should be easier to deal with the camp.

no....they can't. MK out spaces DK

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
no....they can't. MK out spaces DK
Ripple is right, b-air/ f-tilt are not solid spacing tools on a grounded, stationary MK. His grounded shuttle loop can hit our extended arm/foot and thus outspaces these options simply bc he can wait for DK's extended hurtboxes to present themselves.

The safest thing we can really do vs grounded MK is d-tilt bc it is very fast, can result in a trip, is relatively safe on shield when spaced, etc. Jab cancel mixups are also extremely effective, whether into jab 2, grab, or d-tilt.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Well that's disappointing as well. Also, does anyone actually use GFSC at all? Cause i've practiced it quite a bit over the last week and the timing is still tremendously ridiculous.

Top Bottom