• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is really disappointing that Takamaru, the most wanted retro newcomer owned by Nintendo, is an Assist Trophy. The worst is wondering that if being the most wanted newcomer only gets you in as an Assist Trophy, then what does being the least wanted newcomer like Duck Hunt Dog gets? Is he finally going to have a trophy at best or a sticker at least or nothing at worst?

Are we getting any retro newcomers? Does Sakurai count Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as retro newcomers?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is really disappointing that Takamaru, the most wanted retro newcomer owned by Nintendo, is an Assist Trophy. The worst is wondering that if being the most wanted newcomer only gets you in as an Assist Trophy, then what does being the least wanted newcomer like Duck Hunt Dog gets? Is he finally going to have a trophy at best or a sticker at least or nothing at worst?

Are we getting any retro newcomers? Does Sakurai count Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as retro newcomers?
Why should he? There is no reason to consider franchises which got new games in the past decade as retro newcomers. Mega Man had Mega Man 9 and 10, Little Mac had Punch Out!! Wii and Pac-Man gets new games frequently. If there isn't a new retro character in Smash, it is because Sakurai has no plans of trying to revive any of the remaining "dead retro" characters of Nintendo, which would be a true shame. Ice Climbers and Pit were some of the most interesting newcomers in the past.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is pretty much my reaction, the Ninka Kiwi leak is looking realer by the minute.
I want to believe but I'm a little scared of having my hopes raised if I'm gonna be disappointed again. We finally have a live leak that says Duck Hunt Dog is a newcomer. It's too good to be true. I'm just gonna assume that he won't get in even as a sticker just like in Brawl.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I want to believe but I'm a little scared of having my hopes raised if I'm gonna be disappointed again. We finally have a live leak that says Duck Hunt Dog is a newcomer. It's too good to be true. I'm just gonna assume that he won't get in even as a sticker just like in Brawl.
What are the specifications of this leak, exactly?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I'm still not sure how we haven't gotten a Duck Hunt stage yet.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

The roster if the leak ends up true (and assuming the Chorus Kids get in to make it 52), remember the three miis only share one slot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm still not sure how we haven't gotten a Duck Hunt stage yet.
I cannot believe we still haven't gotten any retro veterans, let alone a retro newcomer. It would be cool if we got a retro themed trailer that confirms Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt Dog.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
What exactly is this leak? I'm not buying it for a second by the roster. I mean Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr, Chorus Men and Dark Pit, but no Ridley, Mewtwo or K. Rool?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm here to hope for the Dog's safety since he's the only "retro" option left for now. That is, if there are going to have any more Duck Hunt related content in Smash.

Just the thought of that poor animal crying instead of laughing would really break my heart. After all, this dog still managed to make the game entertaining to me when I was a kid despite his Scrappy Doo status. :(

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really want to see people's reactions on YouTube when they see Duck Hunt Dog confirmed as a newcomer. :troll:

Reila

I'm here to hope for the Dog's safety since he's the only "retro" option left for now. That is, if there are going to have any more Duck Hunt related content in Smash.
There are other options, actually...
What exactly is this leak? I'm not buying it for a second by the roster. I mean Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr, Chorus Men and Dark Pit, but no Ridley, Mewtwo or K. Rool?
The fact the leak doesn't have characters you want doesn't mean it is fake. This is coming from a supporter of Ridley and King K. Rool.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are other options, actually...

The fact the leak doesn't have characters you want doesn't mean it is fake. This is coming from a supporter of Ridley and King K. Rool.
Well yeah... but Duck Hunt Dog is a pretty appealing option compared to most retro characters... an iconic character from the NES days representing the NES Zapper games... with a bizarre and unique moveset that involves breaking the fourth wall to shoot at targets and opponents... with elements from Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, and Hogan's Alley... and his infamous laugh as a taunt would be legendary!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The two most iconic retros as I'd see them would be Balloon Fighter and Duck Hunt Dog. Everyone knew these two.

I hope we get the chance to slap people in the face with ducks in SSB4 like we did in the fangame SSB Crusade...that was honestly what sold me on him and now he's one of my most wanted!

Well Crusade actually just secured him...I blame you almost entirely, Arcadenik, for my support. When I first read this thread I laughed like the dog and thought the idea was far too silly, but then I realised of all the retro Nintendo games I played only Duck Hunt and Balloon Fight genuinely stuck in my mind. I began to read your suggestions and came around to the idea of the dog. He's been in my top five ever since.

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I just feel like after all of Sakurai's comments about wanting to bring back old characters and wanting very unique characters, Duck Hunt Dog just seems so perfect. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'm definitely way more optimistic than I have been for months.

I don't think that just because Takamaru, the most popular retro choice, is disconfirmed means that all retros below his level won't be playable. Sakurai has shown with these reveals that being a unique fighter is more important than being a popular one.

If not playable, I'm feeling good about DHD at least having some sort of reference, whether it be a sticker, trophy, or maybe an AT.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm having some fan art ideas in my head if he's really playable in Smash.

Duck Hunt Dog would be Villager's BFF... he's crazy too... I mean, you have to be crazy to laugh at the person who's pointing the gun at you.

Ducks vs. Cuccos!

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was thinking an alternative Down special to pooping would be to dig.

Then it creates a pit fall for your opponents, the initial dig could also be like a sand attack if your standing behind the dog.

jacobjeb

Smash Rookie
NNID
jacobjeb
I support it. It's a cool idea, not sure about the down special though. It's like jigglypuffs but it takes longer and adds damage. But I like the idea of him as a character and would be glad if he made it in. i dont see it happening though, but i can wish

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I never expected to actually be kind of interested in Duck Hunt Dog, but... Your moveset (and the whole Ninka leak thing) sold me. Consider me a supporter.

Now to photoshop DHD holding up a Chorus Kid...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I was never really a DHD supporter per se, but I will say this. Back when Melee had come out, and my friends and I had unlocked all the newcomers, we would often wonder what characters might make it into a sequel.

The front runners for new series characters for us were always 1.) Pit 2.) Little Mac 3.) Olimar 4.) DHD.

So I've always been cool with the choice.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
Would make for a great classic character, My NES was packed with Mario bros/Duck Hunt, so I have a lot of memories of that taunting jerk

Reila

The leak says nothing about a kart, it says Bowser Jr. fights inside his Koopa Clown Car.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Take the Bowser Jr./Koopalings talk to the Bowser Jr. thread.

Let's all glorify Duck Hunt Dog.

Duck Hunt Dog is love. Duck Hunt Dog is life.

All hail Duck Hunt Dog!

:troll:

D

Deleted member

Not to mention they're have the name "Bowser Jr." on them while clearly being a different character. #strawgrasping
Sakurai said:
In such cases, even if two characters’ names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
Unless Jr. was fighting outside the mech, the concept doesn't go against Sakurai's statement.

Anyways, why I came to this topic in the first place.
Not sure if it was mentioned here already, but apparently, the dog has been in a game after Duck Hunt: Barker Bill's Trick Shooting.

He appears in the Balloon Saloon game, and you can even shoot him, which pisses him off. And yes, it's the same dog. He has the laugh.

I need to do more research, but I think the name "Barker Bill" could be his name, given how pun-like it is when relating to a dog.

EDIT: Never mind; the game is based off of Barker Bill's Cartoon Show, so it's not the dog's name.
However, it still is the dog from Duck Hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I knew about Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. That's why I suggested that he get the blue top hat as one of his hats (like Pikachu's hats) in the first page.

I also suggested that he wear a cowboy hat and a sombrero like the outlaws in the NES Zapper game Wild Gunman. :awesome:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If Duck Hunt Dog is playable I ask Arcadenik to be renamed Duck Hunt Dog for a year while keeping the same avatar.

Reila

By the way, I think that if DHD is playable in Smash, it will likely get a redesign, like Ice Climbers and Pit got.

Top Bottom