• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "The Dog Show" - Duck Hunt Video Thread

Croi

Smash Lord
Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up30Y0nXKC4

This Ganon is convinced that the MU is -4 for him. (Games 2, 3, and 4)

e: may as well post some others for critique. Came 2nd at a recent monthly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRfHYZ7Kdo vs Robin, GF1, games 4 and 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9lKMf-MNQ vs Robin, GF2, game 1

DHD clutched it out for me GF1 but I forsake him GF2. Might have gone differently if I hadn't.
Ganon really feels easier than most, but you have to play such a campy style. As shown in the games, where it would take you 3 minutes to take a stock, it took him 30 seconds with a good read. It's a good MU for us, but don't let it get to your head. Once he has rage, he can very easily make life hell.

Against Raziek, I felt like you weren't really mixing up your edgeguards against Robin. It was always the same set-up of gunmen and trick shot, with a couple cautious fairs. I think perhaps the tourney nerves got to ya, but you could have won more solidly with better mix-ups off stage. Elwind won't hit above her, so a drop down nair or bair could have been good, while having a can on the ledge to cover the options in case you miss.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
This Ganon is convinced that the MU is -4 for him. (Games 2, 3, and 4)
I wouldn't say it's that bad, probably -2 at the most - Ganon can launch to KO a DHD at 60% with a good read on punch, and elbow jabs and kicks are deadly, such it forces, as Wispy says, a campy, spammy style of play because DHD can't risk trade-offs against Ganon, especially against hard launch KO moves.

DHD wins out, but mainly due to Ganon's slow movement and poor aerial. Against a competent Ganon who does proper defence, however, DHD will suffer badly - largely because good defence forces grabs and thus puts DHD in the kill zone. DHD's only advice is to stick to hit and run - frisbee to interrupt, cans to keep at distance, gunmen to harass, with carefully placed forward airs and down airs to maintain the juggle. Once Ganon's off the ledge, the can will kill most returning Ganons and if you're sharp with down air, you can force a Ganon to dodge a can only to meet a down air on his up-B return. A back air is also possible to force him out of recovery range, but it runs the risk of being trumped by an up-B - so sometimes I fluke it by jumping as if to forward air, then deploy a can (so his up-B meets the can instead).

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey I gotta few more vids. This one I call "One mistake can ruin everything(Or several mistakes)".

Winners Bracket:
:4duckhunt:Muppet Vs. DG:4sheik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U44dHWIaf4A

The next is a doubles finals with me pal Yackabean. Spent a lot of time trying not to hit him so I played rather reserved. For some reason, the last match was cut but the result is the same as game 3.

Doubles Grand Finals:
:4duckhunt:Muppet and :4tlink:Yackabean Vs. :rosalina:Kid Wobbles and :4diddy:TimemuffinPhD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bACOEjV-mWM

Lemme know what you guys think.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hey I gotta few more vids. This one I call "One mistake can ruin everything(Or several mistakes)".

Winners Bracket:
I probably don't have to rehash it but just in case...

DON'T AIRDODGE. Use DI mix-ups and your double jump to get away from it. Condition your opponent to extpect one kind of DI, then use the "tricksy doodles" to juke them.

Otherwise, you were playing fantastic. You used Gunmen a fair amount that you could have been punished for but the Sheik seemed rather confused during the match. Also, perhaps a better stage could have helped, but otherwise I think you did really good and just need to work on some bad airdodge habits!

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Ha ha ha cheers, Wispy!

Yeah, I watched it back and I died the same way, like, 4 times? Or something silly like that. That was some reeeal dodgy DI. Not my proudest moment. There are so many Sheiks in my region that I thought I had the d-throw shenanigans down pat, but I panicked fer sure. I'll work on dat.

DG had never played a Duck Hunt before, so he played a weirdly defensive Sheik. I got away with a lot of dumb stuff.

As if it weren't common knowledge now, I've learned to never again take Sheik to Smashville. I think by game 3 we just thought, "Why not?"

(Actually, I think I only had a choice at one point between T & C and Smashville and I wasn't sure which was the better option...)

Well, never again!

Unless I hafta go there.

Last edited:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
You guys don't seem to use frisbees, where as I make it an integral part of my attacks (especially landing). Why is that?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
You guys don't seem to use frisbees, where as I make it an integral part of my attacks (especially landing). Why is that?
I use 'em, but they're way too laggy and predictable to be thrown out all the time. I get called out by others in overusing the frisbee in friendlies, so I mainly tend to use them for grab set ups (if they hit) and sometimes walling them away if they're at the edge.

Plus, they are pretty easy to shield, and it's hard to capitalize on them if they don't connect as it takes forever to get out of the throwing animation.

I mean, you can see me throwing a clay pigeon while falling off the edge in the video so I'm not an expert on it. That's just how I feel about 'em.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I use 'em, but they're way too laggy and predictable to be thrown out all the time. I get called out by others in overusing the frisbee in friendlies, so I mainly tend to use them for grab set ups (if they hit) and sometimes walling them away if they're at the edge.

I mean, they are pretty easy to shield, and it's hard to capitalize on them if they don't connect as it takes forever to get out of the throwing animation.

I mean, you can see me throwing a clay pigeon while falling off the edge in the video so I'm not an expert on it. That's just how I feel about 'em.
Yup, much too risky. I wouldn't really call them integral, I only really use them as a punish tool, it's very easy to punish.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Finally got a video of my doggy. Never played a Rosalina before. I ended up playing him again for top 5 and did much better the second time, but it wasn't recorded and I still lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBfWSGwm3s (Game 1 only)
Don't forget to incorporate both projectiles and offensive play with each other. It seemed like you would either go aggro or use only projectiles, not both at the same time. Also keep in mind that gunmen work very nicely on Rosalina, since to catch the shot their timing has to be perfect. If they miss, it hits both Luma and Rosie, and if they shield, it's a free grab.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Don't forget to incorporate both projectiles and offensive play with each other. It seemed like you would either go aggro or use only projectiles, not both at the same time. Also keep in mind that gunmen work very nicely on Rosalina, since to catch the shot their timing has to be perfect. If they miss, it hits both Luma and Rosie, and if they shield, it's a free grab.
Yeah, I do tend to get kinda one-track-minded when I play DH. I did use more gunmen in our second set but apparently Rosa can just short hop over them (I think even the tall one) without worrying about GP, and I changed it up and tried to get some punishes off of that. Thanks for the help!

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I know frisbee has a lot of end lag and is predictable, but I find the latter is actually a strength - you can condition people to shield unnecessarily, and also forces them on the defence. My combos rely on frisbees (specifically, I catch them where neither shield nor dodge tends to work, either hitstun or simply due to shots overriding dodges), and I've almost gotten a dash attack->frisbee->forward air->frisbee combo, or forward air->frisbee->forward air->frisbee thing going (the last frisbee misses so I'm looking to switch it out or change the timing or something to fix the problem).

I'm confused by Muppet's tactics because I think, although I am only intermediate, he needs more frisbees to suppress Sheik. Don't let people berate for projectile usage - they're the ones hogging top tier characters - let the projectiles success rate dictate if it's used or not. If it's a bad tactic, they'll just beat it, if they can't, they'll complain...

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I know frisbee has a lot of end lag and is predictable, but I find the latter is actually a strength - you can condition people to shield unnecessarily, and also forces them on the defence.
In a tournament setting people will recognize your habits and adjust accordingly. People quickly recognized that I would run away and then throw a clay pigeon behind me, so I've stopped using it as much overall. It is a pretty easy projectile to avoid, shield or destroy. Sure it's good for setting up stuff, but I don't think it's good enough to be used more than I currently do.

I'm confused by Muppet's tactics because I think, although I am only intermediate, he needs more frisbees to suppress Sheik. Don't let people berate for projectile usage - they're the ones hogging top tier characters - let the projectiles success rate dictate if it's used or not. If it's a bad tactic, they'll just beat it, if they can't, they'll complain...
I don't use it much against Sheik because her needles tear up the clay pigeon real easy. It's hard to suppress her most of the time, she can just power shield then go for the grab. Or jump. To be honest, any of her moves can take out the pigeon easy. Anytime I did hit DG, I was pretty surprised. I use the clay much more against heavier targets, but against characters like Sheik? No way!

Like I said, I ain't no expert. But I don't think about the clay pigeon that way.
---
I also bring friendlies, best of five.--

:4duckhunt: Muppet Vs PidgeY :4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDLKpCN7pF0

:4duckhunt: Muppet Vs C.R.Z* :4fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76H0dKLvrE

*C.R.Z is currently ranked 3rd in London, so this was a good match for me to have. I still got destroyed though, ha ha!

Last edited:

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman

Winners Bracket:

The next is a doubles finals with me pal Yackabean. Spent a lot of time trying not to hit him so I played rather reserved. For some reason, the last match was cut but the result is the same as game 3.

Doubles Grand Finals:
:4duckhunt:Muppet and :4tlink:Yackabean Vs. :rosalina:Kid Wobbles and :4diddy:TimemuffinPhD

DHD is a terrible teammate. I tried using DHD in dubz a few times and every time I did, my partner will either shield or take damage from my projectiles. Not only this, I have to watch 4 different things; 1. My teammate, 2. My projectiles, 3. My opponents and 4. Myself. For me, instead of using DHD, I switch to Villager, whom is a great team player or Mario. I've noticed many of these disadvantages that DHD has in these matches, but amazingly you and your teammate still won the tournament!

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
DHD is a terrible teammate. I tried using DHD in dubz a few times and every time I did, my partner will either shield or take damage from my projectiles. Not only this, I have to watch 4 different things; 1. My teammate, 2. My projectiles, 3. My opponents and 4. Myself. For me, instead of using DHD, I switch to Villager, whom is a great team player or Mario. I've noticed many of these disadvantages that DHD has in these matches, but amazingly you and your teammate still won the tournament!
Ha ha ha my teammate carried me to victory! I was the ultimate trustworthy companion.

Except I still hit him with things a lot, wheps.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
In a tournament setting people will recognize your habits and adjust accordingly. People quickly recognized that I would run away and then throw a clay pigeon behind me, so I've stopped using it as much overall. It is a pretty easy projectile to avoid, shield or destroy. Sure it's good for setting up stuff, but I don't think it's good enough to be used more than I currently do.

I don't use it much against Sheik because her needles tear up the clay pigeon real easy. It's hard to suppress her most of the time, she can just power shield then go for the grab. Or jump. To be honest, any of her moves can take out the pigeon easy. Anytime I did hit DG, I was pretty surprised. I use the clay much more against heavier targets, but against characters like Sheik? No way!

Like I said, I ain't no expert. But I don't think about the clay pigeon that way.
I agree it has weaknesses, and is definitely predictable, and I'd love to see how my style does in a tournament setting. I think it's good we have different approaches.

That said, I think it's predictability is it's strength - you can bluff a throw, or not trigger the shots. De facto they'll shield, which becomes a grab opening, but if they're good eggs and spot dodge when shielding to avoid the grab, can ironically be beaten by another frisbee: frisbee{shields}->dash grab bluff{dodges}->frisbee with shot{interrupts}.

Best time to frisbee I find is when they're falling and are at a distance - air dodge doesn't work on frisbee shots if they're close together, and an air dodge on landing with no tech means a free dash attack or grab attack. Heck, even with tech, if it's a grab it usually wins out.

Needles beat frisbee (although not if they're low charge), but they don't beat can. Something I've found breaks the opener needle charge is to deploy a can and nudge to mid-stage - needles can't get past, which means Sheik either has to move up (and risk being hit by the can), move past the can (and risk being hit by you), or waiting (and allow you to jump and frisbee snipe).

Still working on breaking the vertical jump spam. I'll find a weakness yet...

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I agree it has weaknesses, and is definitely predictable, and I'd love to see how my style does in a tournament setting. I think it's good we have different approaches.

That said, I think it's predictability is it's strength - you can bluff a throw, or not trigger the shots. De facto they'll shield, which becomes a grab opening, but if they're good eggs and spot dodge when shielding to avoid the grab, can ironically be beaten by another frisbee: frisbee{shields}->dash grab bluff{dodges}->frisbee with shot{interrupts}.

Best time to frisbee I find is when they're falling and are at a distance - air dodge doesn't work on frisbee shots if they're close together, and an air dodge on landing with no tech means a free dash attack or grab attack. Heck, even with tech, if it's a grab it usually wins out.

Needles beat frisbee (although not if they're low charge), but they don't beat can. Something I've found breaks the opener needle charge is to deploy a can and nudge to mid-stage - needles can't get past, which means Sheik either has to move up (and risk being hit by the can), move past the can (and risk being hit by you), or waiting (and allow you to jump and frisbee snipe).

Still working on breaking the vertical jump spam. I'll find a weakness yet...
I'd like to apologize for my earlier comment as I feel like I was coming off as super patronizing. I didn't mean to seem like I was talking down to you or imply that your uses of Clay were wrong in any way! As you say, it's good we have different approaches! I just felt like there wasn't as much application to the pigeon as you made it seem, but now reading your thoughts on it has led ME to thinkin'...

A lot of my time in training mode with Duck Hunt has been spent practicing can movement and as a result I have neglected the Clay. So, it's probably natural that I would dismiss it somewhat in tournament matches. Your uses for it are creative and have made me think today about how I intend to improve using them in the future. So thank you.

And hopefully we'll find a consistent way to stop spam jumpers.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to apologize for my earlier comment as I feel like I was coming off as super patronizing. I didn't mean to seem like I was talking down to you or imply that your uses of Clay were wrong in any way! As you say, it's good we have different approaches! I just felt like there wasn't as much application to the pigeon as you made it seem, but now reading your thoughts on it has led ME to thinkin'...

A lot of my time in training mode with Duck Hunt has been spent practicing can movement and as a result I have neglected the Clay. So, it's probably natural that I would dismiss it somewhat in tournament matches. Your uses for it are creative and have made me think today about how I intend to improve using them in the future. So thank you.

And hopefully we'll find a consistent way to stop spam jumpers.
I apologise if I sounded patronising too. Didn't mean it as a 'I know more', just a 'perhaps you could' type thing.

I've got a good example of my typical usage of frisbee here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJf4mkvzv8

You'll see I'll throw it at Lucas when he's falling (the shots can override dodges and a dodge prior to landing often leaves them vulnerable), and after he's shielded (when I expect him to try to run or flee). Best examples are 0:20 to 0:25 where it goes frisbee->can->frisbee juggle and 0:28 where I deploy gunman, bluff raise my shield then toss a frisbee (the bluff shield raise makes him think I'm going to be defensive only to be met by a frisbee to the face). On his second stock I get my 0 damage win creamed due to poor dodge choices (I think I was too defensive - vulnerable roll dodging and poor air dodge timing).

But you'll see what I mean how it's integral to the tactics I use - it sets up the combos, keeps the combos going, and tests the player's reactions and defences so I can adjust accordingly (heavier shielding = more grabs, bad shielding = more dashes). I know people can see it as spammy, but DHD's close range moves are pretty weak, and Link/Toon Link users tend to cycle projectiles so as far as I see it, it's fair game.

That said, I've thrown a lot of players off by suddenly dropping the projectile game and going near exclusively close range. They'll still shield excessively making it a free grab party, and when they adapt, I throw them a surprise frisbee.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So my kid brother pulled out Duck Hunt a bit in a recent tourney. He mostly plays Shulk but has been interested in getting better with Duck Hunt. I don't really know much about how to use the character, so could someone offer him some pointers? Duck Hunt games start at 38:03 on the first video and 42:58 on the second.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So my kid brother pulled out Duck Hunt a bit in a recent tourney. He mostly plays Shulk but has been interested in getting better with Duck Hunt. I don't really know much about how to use the character, so could someone offer him some pointers? Duck Hunt games start at 38:03 on the first video and 42:58 on the second.
I'd be happy to break down what I see.

For the first match (vs Neko on Duck Hunt):
  • Duck Hunt (the stage) is kind of an interesting pick for Doggy (the character), and you see exactly why in the first few moments. The ducks that fly around can blow up the can, potentially ruining set ups at crucial times. Luckily it was the beginning of the match, so it wasn't a huge deal at the moment. So while that stage can be decent with how much room you have to run around and camp, it should be chosen hesitantly and carefully, but your bro seems to know what he is doing.
  • 38:45 ~ Bob is making excellent use of the can as a way to slow down Captain Falcon. Judging by Neko's playstyle and his character choice, he really wants to rush in, so good choices on sitting and waiting behind the can. However, every time Falcon got close to Doggy, Bob rolled away, which is a pretty bad habit that is easy to punish once it's noticed. Remember to think and be unpredictable. Just like you are watching your opponent, he's also watching you.
  • 39:14 ~ Excellent up-smash read.
  • 39:50 ~ F-Throw could have lead to dash attacks at low percents and Fair at higher percents, going for the Dair is risky if it's not autocancelled, since it has almost as much lag as Lucario landing on stage with his Up-B. Dair can be short hopped autocancelled, but you may need to practice the timing, it's a bit more strict than his Bair autocancel.
  • Gunmen usage could use a bit more polishing, since they tend to lead to free grabs or added pressure. An example of this would be Gunmen > Grab (since opponents tend to shield when they see them appear). I've made a small guide on how to use Gunmen effectively, it's on the Duck Hunt subforums somewhere if you want to look for it, or I could link it to you here, if ya like.
  • 40:10 ~ Bob went for two high dair attempts, when Falcons tend to recover low. Instead of trying the same edgeguards over and over, be sure to mix things ups. Run off Fair works great on Falcon (sour spot can gimp, while sweet spot can lead to more edgeguarding) as well as Run off Nair (same deal with sour spot, and sweet spot can get early stocks). If you do try to nair though, be careful, since the move does last a small while. On a stage without walls, that's almost a free spike for everyone in the cast as your double jump and up-B back up. On a stage with walls you have access to a wall jump, so you could double jump then wall jump to give you some more options for recovering.
Going a bit less in depth for the second match, I noticed a big panic rolling habit from Bob, so relaxing trying to curb that habit is important. While certainly a more campy and patient Doggy than I've seen around here, I think he has potential. Just gotta learn the Doggy set-ups and BnB's. Snoop around our forums some more, we'll try to help out as we can. =]

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'd be happy to break down what I see.

For the first match (vs Neko on Duck Hunt):
  • Duck Hunt (the stage) is kind of an interesting pick for Doggy (the character), and you see exactly why in the first few moments. The ducks that fly around can blow up the can, potentially ruining set ups at crucial times. Luckily it was the beginning of the match, so it wasn't a huge deal at the moment. So while that stage can be decent with how much room you have to run around and camp, it should be chosen hesitantly and carefully, but your bro seems to know what he is doing.
  • 38:45 ~ Bob is making excellent use of the can as a way to slow down Captain Falcon. Judging by Neko's playstyle and his character choice, he really wants to rush in, so good choices on sitting and waiting behind the can. However, every time Falcon got close to Doggy, Bob rolled away, which is a pretty bad habit that is easy to punish once it's noticed. Remember to think and be unpredictable. Just like you are watching your opponent, he's also watching you.
  • 39:14 ~ Excellent up-smash read.
  • 39:50 ~ F-Throw could have lead to dash attacks at low percents and Fair at higher percents, going for the Dair is risky if it's not autocancelled, since it has almost as much lag as Lucario landing on stage with his Up-B. Dair can be short hopped autocancelled, but you may need to practice the timing, it's a bit more strict than his Bair autocancel.
  • Gunmen usage could use a bit more polishing, since they tend to lead to free grabs or added pressure. An example of this would be Gunmen > Grab (since opponents tend to shield when they see them appear). I've made a small guide on how to use Gunmen effectively, it's on the Duck Hunt subforums somewhere if you want to look for it, or I could link it to you here, if ya like.
  • 40:10 ~ Bob went for two high dair attempts, when Falcons tend to recover low. Instead of trying the same edgeguards over and over, be sure to mix things ups. Run off Fair works great on Falcon (sour spot can gimp, while sweet spot can lead to more edgeguarding) as well as Run off Nair (same deal with sour spot, and sweet spot can get early stocks). If you do try to nair though, be careful, since the move does last a small while. On a stage without walls, that's almost a free spike for everyone in the cast as your double jump and up-B back up. On a stage with walls you have access to a wall jump, so you could double jump then wall jump to give you some more options for recovering.
Going a bit less in depth for the second match, I noticed a big panic rolling habit from Bob, so relaxing trying to curb that habit is important. While certainly a more campy and patient Doggy than I've seen around here, I think he has potential. Just gotta learn the Doggy set-ups and BnB's. Snoop around our forums some more, we'll try to help out as we can. =]
After looking back at his sets again, I noticed at one point one of the commentators said that he was really good against aggressive playstyles but struggled whenever people started to play more patiently against him.(I suspect that has a lot to do with how I play against him) So I suppose that's the main thing he can work on, while I work on playing more defensively. Other than that it's mostly a matter of him getting more practice with Duck Hunt, since he's only really been playing the character consistently for a month. Note that he just turned 12 and got 9th/34 at this event, so he's going to be really good with time. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Duck hunt in Doubles?I usually avoid playing him because he's such a weird double character to play, often hurting my opponent more than anything.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Went all (except Grand Finals) Duck Hunt last week at a monthly. Came 2nd in singles, 1st in doubles.

Singles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYJ8vTyri24 :4robinf: Winner's Finals
Honestly, the one of the few things I can say that i think you should use more of is your off-stage can defense. When you're off stage, throw out a can to try and hit the ledge. They'll have to back off allowing you an easier time for recovery. Otherwise, your DH looks really solid.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Nice handiwork with Kong, but you can also kill him earlier on by reading his on-stage landing and using a forward smash A (EG his get up at 1:41 could have been punished like that, rather than grab). You can force them to roll on by using can full force diagonally up dropped to their ledge grab position (which denies any jumps or up-Bs and prevents them just staying there) and simultaneously a gunman on level (so naturally they'll opt to roll past rather than getup into it's shot).

Either they'll take the hit from the projectiles (so you merely re-attempt the setup or force them back so you can), or they'll roll into a forward smash A - the rest is down to timing and if you get a frame-trap. It'll convert 120% into a KO straight out and against DK it's worth the trade-off risk (as rage greatly boosts his attacks). As Donkey Kong is a larger character, the infamous slide glitch is much less likely to occur, and the hitbox more likely to connect.

You can swap out whichever projectiles (so if you want to get them to jump up, ditch the can and just gunman/roll guard) to force them into whatever position. Sometimes it's easier to use a can to psych them out on landing into making a premature air dodge straight into a forward smash A (deploy it early enough they see it coming, but late enough they can't dodge until it's near too late). But good work either way.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Had a Round Robin monthly a week ago. Here are some vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VHcUA-P8Wg :4shulk: Game 2 only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VknICzt4rh8 :4robinf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55o7oaX6C90 :4mario: I love it when characters like Mario and Fox try to fight primarily by spamming their own projectiles and abusing their reflectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX9ZJR4Hf68 :4kirby: Game 2 only

I didn't do poorly. I don't think I did great, but I didn't do poorly.
I thought you did fairly well. Bit of a different playstyle than I'm trying to adapt, but oyu looked nice.

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
I recently entered an MVG League tournament and won with DHD! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_Hkx9OHmQ

I used Mario and Villager in certain MU's like lil Mac and ZSS, but other than those characters, mostly DHD. After this tournament I entered, the mvg league Sol, Ryo, Domo and Gx2 wanted a piece of mah dawg and I will upload those matches soon!

Last edited:

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
C crashbfan Yes, that was online.

Another recent tournament taken by yours truly as DHD. The prize was free entrance and EZ$20! https://youtu.be/xKNl2SfDC7s

Too many people will counter me against Fox, Mario, Palutena or Falco. Good thing I had sum MU exp with Feel Tension before I entered the second round. DHD best stage IMO is BF if you're facing Mario or Fox because the can and gunmen setup is a literal wall that covers jump, roll, and stand-up from ledge.

Semis, after the many matches I had with MVG Sol, I didn't want to go against Lil Mac as DHD, so I went Mario. EZGimp for Mario in this MU.

Winners Finals, I can tell my opponent doesn't face too many DHD's. I still believe R.O.B. has the advantage in this MU. Gyo proves this.

Grands, If ANY of you dropped Wario, pls reconsider because his Fart KO'd me from a soft NAIR at 51% to waft at 79%!! This happened to me twice...

Asa

Smash Hero

Winners Bracket:

Doubles Grand Finals:

Every time you had an opportunity to punish with a nair, you faired. Gotta go for the meaty hits.

Put some dthrows in your game as well, they will open more opportunities for kills than Fthrow or bthrow would

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Yeah I hafta get into nairing a lot more. Seeing as it has a soft spot, I'm always scared to commit to it in case I miss.

I need to practice a lot more d-throws follow ups too. I've been trying to get better at using the frisbee after d-throw and continue with the follow up like in Dunnobro's recent video, but I haven't got it down yet.

Asa

Smash Hero
Uthrow is a good choice to consider as well. It'll put opponents above you and Uair is nice so abuse the hell out of it. Uair can frame trap into an incomplete uair -> Usmash too

Croi

Smash Lord
Had my region's largest annual tournament last weekend. Came 4th out of 93. I'm happy that I lost to new talent, but I'm disappointed with my play in general. I was playing really, obviously scared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_otWEGaELs :4kirby: Castle Siege threw me for a loop, but I managed to pull it out anyway. This is the guy I was most scared of fighting in my half of the bracket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTBjJ6rhK2s :4falcon: Game 3. I got dummied in this set, holy ****. I had never played so badly before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8uS2JYn_c :4dedede: Game 2. I was actually kind of feeling Lucario instead, but Dreamland is bootcheeks for him, so I switched off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V468kdiMsX8 :4greninja: Game 3. I have no idea how to fight Greninja. I played some friendlies against another Greninja main the other day and he suggests that I stick with DHD for the MU. I think I might agree, but it's tough as nails either way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom