• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
At the last tournament I was at my Duck Hunt was hyping the crowd up before I lost. I dunno if it's how I played or the sheer novelty of it.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
After fighting a really good Shulk player. Let's just say my Duck Hunt wasn't really feeling it. Do any of you guys have any tips when going against shulk?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DH has the ability to shift between camping and approaching. Shulk is really difficult to approach so the next best option is to camp him. Camp him hard, force him to make mistakes.
That's usually what I do with DH.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Top 5 at Xanadu again... God I just can't deal with olimar, i can never get my can out freaking ever.

And yea, no MVD is definitely the best duck hunt. Though he's also realized a lot of matchups just aren't doable and worked on a good secondary early, it isn't like diddy or sheik though. It's just really awkward stuff like olimar cause of how the pikmin work. Or sonic cause of spindash.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Top 5 at Xanadu again... God I just can't deal with olimar, i can never get my can out freaking ever.

And yea, no MVD is definitely the best duck hunt. Though he's also realized a lot of matchups just aren't doable and worked on a good secondary early, it isn't like diddy or sheik though. It's just really awkward stuff like olimar cause of how the pikmin work. Or sonic cause of spindash.
I'll watch your vids sometime, but I saw MVD beat Dabuz's Olimar game 3 on FD live @ Apex so I know the matchup is possible, just got to be more patient. If it was Logic, then I'd say you just have to work on your player skill some more as well as learn the matchup better. I'll try to watch your vids sometime this weekend & see what you could have done better.

Also, if anyone has some tips for MVD in the sonic matchup or in general, post in the matchup discussion thread so I can take a look and help him out. He really hates Sonic right now :/

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yea i think we all hate sonic

I had 5 in my pools at apex and in losers finals i didnt even go dhd cause he was sonic
probably a bad idea but ugggh i hate it. you can damage him a bit if you're lucky, but he totally avoids killing opportunities due to his playstyle superceding ours in the end

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
I'll watch your vids sometime, but I saw MVD beat Dabuz's Olimar game 3 on FD live @ Apex so I know the matchup is possible, just got to be more patient. If it was Logic, then I'd say you just have to work on your player skill some more as well as learn the matchup better. I'll try to watch your vids sometime this weekend & see what you could have done better.

Also, if anyone has some tips for MVD in the sonic matchup or in general, post in the matchup discussion thread so I can take a look and help him out. He really hates Sonic right now :/
Go to our Faq thread in the sonic forums. I'll guarantee we'll attempt to give advice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I had 5 in my pools at apex and in losers finals i didnt even go dhd cause he was sonic
probably a bad idea but ugggh i hate it. you can damage him a bit if you're lucky, but he totally avoids killing opportunities due to his playstyle superceding ours in the end
I still love-to-hate Sonic since Brawl. His inclusion is fine but I still don't understand how his Side+B and Down+B work.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Y'all hate :4sonic:? Would this make you guys feel any better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ODuGWZj-A

Twixer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Twiixer
Oh man, just finished watching Dunnobro's set playing as DHD on VG's stream. He's freakin' scary with his can accuracy. It was legitimate hype seeing it.

Can't wait until it's uploaded on their channel.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
So after using DH for the past week about, I've finally decided to pick him up as my main. I couldn't help it, he's such a fun character to play with.

Anyways I think I have the majority of the techs with him down, but would anyone be willing to play some dittos so I can practice with him and learn some more stuff? I feel like there's still a lot more ground I need to cover with him, and I figured this would be the best spot to visit.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
So after using DH for the past week about, I've finally decided to pick him up as my main. I couldn't help it, he's such a fun character to play with.

Anyways I think I have the majority of the techs with him down, but would anyone be willing to play some dittos so I can practice with him and learn some more stuff? I feel like there's still a lot more ground I need to cover with him, and I figured this would be the best spot to visit.
I'd be down when I get a moment. Probably Friday night, eastern time. I'd bring alts too.

Douchuumen

Smash Cadet
Hey Duck Hunt players

Which characters would you guys say have a good matchup against DH/can effectively shut down his projectile game? I'm new to Smash 4 and camping looks like a hard thing to get around.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey Duck Hunt players

Which characters would you guys say have a good matchup against DH/can effectively shut down his projectile game? I'm new to Smash 4 and camping looks like a hard thing to get around.
For me... Sonic, Captain Falcon, Marth, Lucina, Lucario, Sheik, and Rosalina seem to give me the most trouble when I'm playing as Duck Hunt.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the match-up, but I have difficulty with playing against Mario. I keep getting caped at the edge and his forward and up smashes are deceiving in their range. And those darn up-tilts! Aw phooey! Does anyone else have this problem, or advice on how get the upper hand?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the match-up, but I have difficulty with playing against Mario. I keep getting caped at the edge and his forward and up smashes are deceiving in their range. And those darn up-tilts! Aw phooey! Does anyone else have this problem, or advice on how get the upper hand?
Zone him out, if he reflects them with cape, gunman is the ultimate anti-reflector character tool, bait the cape with a dash short hop gunman (dash short hop so you can keep momentum while setting it out), then punish with an aerial or clay pigeon, just make sure not to get hit by the reflected gunman bullet anyway. They stop reflecting gunmen? Well then, now their options are jump, shield/dodge or take the hit, all punishable options. If they're keeping up with you and punishing the moment you send out a gunman, nair, bair, can, and clay pigeon are all great keep-away options, can and clay pigeon can be reflected though, so be careful with those. If you're still being beaten and you can't recover since he just capes the recovery, make sure to cover your recovery with a can, you can still shoot it while in recovery. Now if they reflect the can back at you, remember you're sent at an up and away angle, so you can get a better horizontal recovery, eliminating the need for up-b, just cover your recovery with a fair.

Now to dealing with some of his other options:
Up-tilt? DI up and behind Mario, or up and in front of Mario, depending on the which way you're closer to escaping from.. Up-tilt is a low-ranged option anyway, so zoning should eliminate it.
Up-smash/side-smash? This is harder to find a hard counter to, it's just a case of learning when they do it and punishing it, they're deceiving in range but you gotta learn that range.

Last edited:

Spirst

:hulk::hulk::hulk::hulk::hulk::hulk::hulk:

For Mario's who like to fireball pressure, I always run Mega Gunmen. Fresh fireball OHKOs default gunmen and otherwise, it takes two fireballs which aren't hard to get in. Mega Gunmen makes him approach and feel uncomfortable.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hey Duck Hunt players

If its a campy Duck Hunt, a lot of characters, actually. Duck Hunt's zoning game is not nearly as potent as it looks and he's technically not a very good camper: his projectiles are kinda slow moving and can be shielded easily. One of his projectiles can just be deflected back if you attack it, the other two can be destroyed with damaging hitboxes. Unless you're a heavy character (:4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, :4dk:, etc) or a character who sucks at approaching in general ( :4kirby:, :4luigi:, :4bowserjr:); Duck Hunt as a long range zoner is kind of insufficient and he shouldn't really be that hard to approach, especially if you have good air mobility. If you ask me, I think Villager, Toon Link, and Mega Man are way better at camping than he is, and he isn't nearly as tough to get in on as they are. He's not really a camping character to my eyes, he's more of an offensive pressure character who uses his projectiles to approach you himself and create & exploit openings.

If you must know though, I think he has a lot of trouble dealing with rushdown characters or guys who can easily pressure him. Sonic, Rosalina, Sheik, Fox, and ZSS are all pretty good answers to him. His recovery is also kind of bad because its not the fastest recovery and he's left completely defenseless during it and has no hitbox to protect him, and any competent opponent can kill him offstage with a meteor smash or a spike. He does have some ways to mitigate it by shooting a can above him while flying and wall jumping, but those won't keep him safe from absolutely everything.

For me... Sonic, Captain Falcon, Marth, Lucina, Lucario, Sheik, and Rosalina seem to give me the most trouble when I'm playing as Duck Hunt.
I have trouble with those guys too, besides Marth and Lucina, I don't find them that hard of a fight at all tbh.

Even though I like her and used to have her as my tertiary (I still play her a bit now too), I've pretty darn loud in clear in saying I think :4lucina: is low tier and kind of an underwhelming character in general, although I think she's pretty high in that low tier. I feel her life goes to the dogs in this matchup (pun entirely intended :pimp:) and we defeat her fairly easily, probably only around +1 though. Her moves take way too long to end and nearly every move she has other than Dtilt or Shield Breaker is pretty unsafe on block, and she doesn't have much of an answer to our projectile pressure. Granted, her shieldbreaker is scary, she's got good OoS options, and she can gimp up us fairly well offtsgame with her Fair and Dair thanks to our unreliable recovery, but Lucina is not the best at recovering herself. Knock her out of her double jump and then she becomes damsel in distress. I even think :4littlemac:is tougher than her and a slightly better character overall, he's got this crazy aerial death combo that works on only 6 characters, and Duck Hunt happens to be one of these unlucky victims. You can escape from the combo, but it ain't easy.

:4marth: is a little bit more difficult, but only really because of his tipper kills and slightly higher shieldstun. Otherwise the fight is kinda the same, Lucina is basically a straight downgrade from the Hero-King (Sakurai, thanks a lot :glare:).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do you guys feel that DHD should use his grabs and throws more often...? DHD seems to be doing well when his opponents are off stage and trying to recover.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Do you guys feel that DHD should use his grabs and throws more often...? DHD seems to be doing well when his opponents are off stage and trying to recover.
I grab like I'm trying to squeeze my opponent to death. I do think other than recovering from offstage we are hell at advantage.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Fthrow true combos into Dash Attacks and Fair, Dthrow canset up Can pressure or bait airdodges with followups, Uthrow enables the use of Uair (easily the best kill move), and Bthrow puts peeps offstage. So I'd say yeah.

Spirst

Fthrow combos into sweetspot RAR bair too if you want the extra damage and stylish points. Dthrow is decent for conditioning and baiting airdodges for running usmash.

Spirst

Yeah, reverse aerial rush.

Lets you do a backwards aerial as if you were doing a forward air moving towards the opponent. With characters with a stronger bair like DH (which also autocancels), this is pretty useful to have.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And so I was really digging Quick Draw Aces because they were a sneak option until I realized they aren't particularly good for frametraps/zoning like Wild Gunmen are, so WG is a more useful/versatile tool overall. /snip

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
And so I was really digging Quick Draw Aces because they were a sneak option until I realized they aren't particularly good for frametraps/zoning like Wild Gunmen are, so WG is a more useful/versatile tool overall. /snip
Wild Gunmen are not a good zoning tool either. They take too long to shoot and can be ran past or killed (especially when they only have like 5 HP), and if they are killed you have to wait a few seconds before you can pop up another one. And considering how slow his projectiles are, Duck Hunt is actually not very good at zoning in general, he's only really good at it against heavies or those with bad approaches. And you still have the can for frametraps so I don't think its that big a deal. The Quick Aces are useful because they shoot quicker, disappear quicker, and are just a great anti-rushdown tool.

Plus with them you can do something like this: http://gfycat.com/GrossHighAustraliansilkyterrier Default gunmen don't give you this privilege, ever.

All 3 gunmen are good in general, but compared to the custom variants, I personally don't use the Default too much.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster

I like that combo.

Does it look like DHD's Nair has a sweet spot? It seems like that cartwheel move hits really hard at the beginning.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Everytime I read the title, I keep thinking Stone Cold Steve Austin for some reason lol

DHD is definitely good to use. Haven't played the game in awhile but he seems very solid character.

Spirst

Yeah, the sweetspot window is on the early frames of the nair. In total, the nair has an active hitbox from frames 6 up to 38. The last sweetspot window ends on frame 9 which means there's a 3 frame window for it. It's not that great considering how fast it goes but it's something.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Puppy Power!!!!! lol
I dont know if it's worth mentioning, but whatever.
I placed 13rd on a 500+ online Tournament in Germany using Duck Hunt Dog. Bracket: http://stepone.challonge.com/
Lost against a Link Player, was extremly close.
I hope to see more european DHD Players, he is barely used here :/

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Guys, I'm a bit upset for a silly reason I know I shouldn't be.

We voted on discussing MU's in the MU thread, but then when I asked people to vote, barely anyone did so. Afterwards, when someone was decided on, nobody talked about them (sonic). I think only one person from the sonic forums said anything about the MU and none of the prominent puppy mains said anything about it.

I know I shouldn't get upset over it but it's not very encouraging to try to run an MU thread as good as the other characters when barely anyone participates.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
@ WispBae WispBae

Not really a silly reason.

I cast a vote but I didn't have much input in the MU because I have an utter lack of authority, unfortunately. I've barely played anything but FG Sonics. Then again I'm a low-tier player as it is. I apologize regardless

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Is diddy's dthrow to uair a true true combo around 90%? Seems like every direction DI I to, he keeps getting me. Is there a way to escape this? (I have no trouble avoiding the uair as other characters).

Oh, I also I got 9th out of 36 with dhd last week :)
Repost. Got no answer and I really like to know :(

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Can we just take a moment to talk about how amazing DHD nair is
I mean it's actually REALLY amazing.
Someone I played last night just commended my use of Nair. Never knew it killed. I was baiting punishes left and right with it. Nailed some kills Nairing near the top of the screen on suicide bombs.

It's magical.

Maybe we need to start setting it up every waking moment.

Edit: Played more tonight. Dear God, where has Nair been all my life? I know it doesn't mean much coming from my level, but that I can confidently net kills with it does wonders for my psyche.

Last edited:
Top Bottom