• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
You shoulda did Dalmatian spots.
I want to but I drew those with a sharpie, and am worried I would rub off the ink when playing. When I get tense/nervous/the jitters, my palms get cold and clammy @_@

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The can is literally empty and yet it still explodes.

I'm waiting for the day where every item in Smash can explode if you hit it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
My friend just got that shirt from urban outfitters for $11.99, the DH shirt. GL at Paragon @ WispBae WispBae and let us know how it goes. I've been doing alright w/ DH, still flaws in my player skill. I feel this character is so good when you play him on point, even vs the fast chars except for sonic lol. Maybe aggro sheiks, zss, foxes, & falcons too. I had some trouble vs Falcon at my las tournament. Aggro rushdown is giving me trouble w/ this character, there is literall not enough space/frame data to combat at times, but I know it's possible.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm sad to report I dod not make it out of pools. I lost in Loser's Finals of my bracket, just shy of making it out. Ryo and Poltergust advanced.

As such, I shall now bow out of the pack. I resign as Alpha Female as I cannot lead my pack well.

Nah jk, I'm still here. Ryo's Ike was hard, it always came to the last stock. It was managable though. I made some silly mistakes that cost me the set.

The Yoshi of Poltergust demolished me. So badly. It's not even funny. I'm a lil salty, but he was very good. I have been the only duck hunt player here, and have won most of my friendlies (lost only one friendly set against a fox when using doggy). It seems I'm getting a lil popular being a non For Glory Doggu with my Duck Hunt Shirt and Doggy controller! ^^

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I'm sad to report I dod not make it out of pools. I lost in Loser's Finals of my bracket, just shy of making it out. Ryo and Poltergust advanced.

As such, I shall now bow out of the pack. I resign as Alpha Female as I cannot lead my pack well.

Nah jk, I'm still here. Ryo's Ike was hard, it always came to the last stock. It was managable though. I made some silly mistakes that cost me the set.

The Yoshi of Poltergust demolished me. So badly. It's not even funny. I'm a lil salry, but he was very good. I have been the only duck hunt player here, and have won most of my friendlies (lost only one friendly set against a fox when using doggy).
You did good, girl. The lack of Duck Hunt representation on stream makes me sad, so no matter what, you still have my respect for taking Duck Hunt to pool finals. It's surprising, because I always thought the Duck Hunt Duo VS. Diddy MU was in the duo's favour, so I thought they would get some use.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Hey, I wanna represent duck hunt mains! I'll try to be on stream with my duck hunt, in surprised hardly anyone is picking up the character duck hunt, but duck hunt has such a big learning curve so probably natural some people won't use him, but anyways I'll represent you guys!

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Reading the character impression thread, people have already passed judgment on the puppy and kicked him to the back of the kennel. Someone should throw us a bone.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Reading the character impression thread, people have already passed judgment on the puppy and kicked him to the back of the kennel. Someone should throw us a bone.
I can guess what it says already, "something something duck hunt is a campy character something something spam"

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Nah. Just, he doesn't hold up for convos longer than a post or two. Too busy arguing about Diddy, ZSS, Sonic and what have you. People just call him a B tier zoner and leave it .

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Hey, the less people using him can be a good thing, it's more glory for the first person to master Trick Shot.

Spirst

Nah. Just, he doesn't hold up for convos longer than a post or two. Too busy arguing about Diddy, ZSS, Sonic and what have you. People just call him a B tier zoner and leave it .
I've tried to make my contributions:
Good to finally have some DH discussion.

I don't see Duck Hunt as a very zoning-heavy character. With the exception of the gunmen (which still aren't fast unless the fast gunmen custom is used), his projectiles can be pretty easily interrupted and are generally slow/can be beaten by a disjointed hitbox. The Can can be hit so that it shoots the other way (though not the end of the world) and the clay pigeon travels at a relatively slow velocity/is broken by a disjointed hitbox. Duck Hunt functions best, in my opinion, as a pressure/trap character. For all the people who keep touting Duck Hunt as a long-range zoning character, I wonder how much experience they have with him. As said above, unless it's a heavy or a character with very poor approach options, DH as a long range zoner just doesn't work well and you generally gain nothing from doing so because of the awkward projectiles.

As for the blindspot in his air game, I just don't see it. SHFF fair is great for poking (10% sweetspotted) and uair/bair/dair autocancel with the dair being good for roll prediction to uair. His grab game, while not amazing, has some uses from fthrow. Fthrow>Dash attack/fair/RAR bair is a true combo at low-mid percents and can easily apply about 15%-20% if the aerial is sweetspotted. SH clay pigeons/Cans are also a really good option for added mobility. SH clay pigeons travel further than grounded ones and can stuff some approaches pretty well.

The character has a lot of options to be explored. I've spent a lot of time playing around with the properties of the projectiles and I still don't understand everything yet. The Can has A LOT of possibilities that can be done with it.
  • Bair on the Can will send the Can in the direction the bair hit it in but when shot with B, it will shoot backwards towards DH rather than away like Fair/dtilt/ftilt. This is very useful in harassing people offstage since rather than being able to evade it, you can actively harass them with the Can by shooting it towards the ledge they're trying to grab. Also, if a bair Can hits the opponent, they will fly up towards DH for a reliable Uair/Nair KO.
  • Can>sourspot dash attack (easy if you DA right as the can lands in front of you) will send the Can playing in a high angle behind you and will shoot, like the bair, in the opposite direction. This also has a lot of practicality for edgeguarding/harassing people offstage who are recovering from far where DH might be uncomfortable following.
  • Can>sweetspot dash attack will also send the Can at a high angle but unlike the sourspot, will shoot forwards rather than backwards.
  • Can>Utilt will send the Can at a vertical angle and when shot, will go backwards. This is a good mixup for covering a blind spot DH has.
  • Can>Fair/dtilt/ftilt will send the Can forwards and when shot, will move forwards. Good for adding pressure and forcing shields. Can>SH Fair approaches can work well offensively since the disjointed hitbox from the fair is just at the perfect length to hit the Can forward while having DH move closer without getting TOO close so he can still react to rolls/jumps.
  • Can>gunmen. The gunmen have transcendent priority shots and will hit the Can and the person in front of it. The distance it hits the Can is rather small but a good distance to keep control of the stage.
  • Can can be used as an active hitbox when using the default recovery. Kick the Can when offstage with your DJ, then maintain it with B while recovering. The recovery has a set distance so it doesn't matter what other inputs you use since it can't be cancelled anyway.
  • Cans are great as a "get away from me" tactic. If you know what direction the Can will shoot to when pressing B, you can shield and B to get rid of pressure and reset the position to neutral or put DH at an advantageous spot for followups.
  • Cans, in addition to gunmen and clay pigeons, can tank a number of projectiles in the game including Samus' charge shot and Lucario's aura sphere regardless of rage/aura boost. Unlike the gunmen and clay pigeon, a Can tanking a hit will not render it useless since it doesn't get destroyed and worst case, gets sent back. It can always just be hit forward again.
  • DH can shorthop approach/foxtrot while shooting the Can. You can threaten landings quite well by doing this if you have a Can above you that you're shooting while foxtrotting on the ground. Additionally, with foxtrot Can shooting, you have a hitbox both in the air and DH on the ground for coverage of both spaces.
Additionally, the Can seems to have some momentum-retainment properties in that a very strong projectile can hit it and NOT push it back at all. Upon a light hit to the Can, the momentum from the projectile will take effect and the Can will go flying back. Not sure why this is yet but I'd been looking into it.

The clay pigeon is a very easy way to tack on 8%-12% on average. You can use it to see how the opponent reacts to pressure and can leave it grounded as a trap if they forget about it. Once they do, you can just blow it up and rush in for a grab/fair (sweetspot fair being 10% means this it's an easy 20-ish% if everything is followed up correctly). Clay pigeons destroy characters with large hurtboxes and can halt characters trying to play rushdown without being cautious. Can>gunmen>SH clay pigeon is a good wall to approach with and if the other player doesn't react fast, they're going to get overwhelmed. Gunmen, with their awkward timing, catch a lot of people offguard. Gunmen have 5% health can absorb weak projectiles while being able to retaliate and can absorb about every other projectile (excluding piercing moves like metal blade/fully charged water shuriken) before getting KOd. Additionally, the Mega Gunmen custom has 25% HP and can function as a wall to shut down other projectile characters while DH can still make use of the clay pigeon and Can.

DH has medium weight and decent horizontal mobility as well which doesn't hurt. His physical attacks aren't too bad either. Frame 4 jab, frame 6 dtilt, and frame 8 ftilt/utilt. However, his normals don't have to be stellar since another aspect of the character is. His trap game, I feel, is second to none.

If you're playing DH, there's almost no reason you should be standing still and using projectiles only. It's silly to lump the character into the long-range zoner archetype so early on when most people don't even understand the character entirely including the DH mains who put hours into him. He has disjointed hitboxes, a lot of trap potential, great pressure, a decent grab, and the damage output isn't horrible. I don't mean to place the character in a vacuum either. I'm aware of his shortcomings (general KO issues, getting overwhelmed by rushdown play, recovering) but such issues but aren't enough to keep him in the low tier regions since they can be alleviated somewhat and his strong points are still quite good. DH is a character that will definitely see much improvement as people become more technically precise with managing his projectiles. People really underestimate the character.
Yes, because DH is such a boring and campy character with little else. There's no way the character can have any creativity because I haven't seen it in the 3 DH vids I've seen and from the people in For Glory.

Come on, already. Why do people still believe this about the character without giving him the time of day? I disagree Villager is more interesting to watch then DH. The latter has more traps and mixups than you would think and at a higher level where the players can do more than just camp (which isn't even that effective to be honest considering the speed of the projectiles), he's really interesting to watch as a mind game character.
Yes, not like I play the character or anything.

Not sure about the gunner eating the hydrant as you just reminded me that's the one thing I didn't test vs PacMan but otherwise, hydrants eating a projectile isn't necessarily true. The hydrant remains stagnant once landed and that doesn't stop a SH clay pigeon (smash goes further than tilt), a can simply shot over the hydrant, and the gunmen shots are transcendent priority and just go through it (and villager's tree as well). DH has the zoning advantage and Pac Man will need to approach thus reducing the whole endlessness of the matchup. Bonus Fruit Key goes through everything but with the time it takes to start up, it's not going to be spammed. Every other fruit gets canceled by the can/clay pigeon/gunman. The can doesn't blow up upon getting hit and Pac Man is fighting a losing battle if he's going to rely on the fruit for that.

Not true, see above.

I don't know if they're disjointed but I know DH definitely has disjointed aerials with the bair autocanceling, the dair being a good roll read punish, and the uair is a KO move. The fair has the most range and spaces a lot of stuff out incredibly well. His airgame isn't really weak either.

As for overall CQC, Pac Man does have the faster tilts and such but DH has a better grab game and fthrow can lead to some followups. Not to mention you can combo the throws with a nearby can.

Yes, but that's not the point entirely. While each character has the potential to be creative, some simply have more overall options to work with than others. This game isn't homogenous with each character given the same amount of tools and options. For DH, there's a number of interactions and traps you can setup with the can and gunmen that you simply can't do on other characters due to the uniqueness of the moves and the depth they allow. It's pretty ignorant to form this established opinion of the character and say "who cares, dog is still a bore" without actually taking the time to really examine his options. That's closed-minded thinking.
Unfortunately, the DH discussion only lasts for a few posts then it's gone. The passing judgement seems to be, as Diamond said, that he's a campy character whose boring to watch and doesn't have too many options. Oversimplification as hell but meh, what are you going to do?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Who's the best DHD player atm?
It's hard to say, my vote's on Guy. DunnoBro is also pretty good but I'm not sure what level he's on. We should have a Duck Hunt only tourney to see who's best, but then it'd be a test of who's best at DHD dittos. :p

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Also, what's going on with the can sourspotting? Like when th can hits the opponent but makes them flinch. How do you get that consistently?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The "shot" used to propel the can causes damage without the can itself hitting them.
More easily noticed with Zigzag Shot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You've heard of Clifford the big red dog, right? Well, here's the smallest dog (and duck) in the world.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Only stopping by to say hi, DH is one of the characters I enjoy the most in this game, so I hope to get along here c:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The world will never know.....

Also, I'll take this opportunity to say I absolutely despise the acronym "DHD"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hi! How've you fellow hunters been doing?

Took me a while to comprehend Duck Hunt's moveset, but I think I finally got the hang of it, and they're so much fun to play.
He's my go-to character for free-for-alls, but I've been doing really well in For Glory as him lately.

I'm so glad he's in the game. Retro characters are usually the most unique!

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Hi! How've you fellow hunters been doing?

Took me a while to comprehend Duck Hunt's moveset, but I think I finally got the hang of it, and they're so much fun to play.
He's my go-to character for free-for-alls, but I've been doing really well in For Glory as him lately.

I'm so glad he's in the game. Retro characters are usually the most unique!
I really dislike DHD in free-for-alls, his only viable option is camping which can be beat if two players approach at once, and that's not mentioning the fact that they may have reflectors or equal projectile power. With a character like DHD pressure is key and it's difficult to pressure all the other players at once, and if you go for only one player the other players will collude against you.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I actually like DH for Doubles. Though I use about half the roster for Doubles....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sure, DHD may have campy moves but DHD doesn't really work as a camper. The projectiles are really slow that opponents can just jump over them or shield them. I think that DHD's projectiles work if you know when to use them.

The can is good for gimping the off-stage opponent's recovery. The can is also good if you throw the opponent towards the can just like in DHD's trailer. I think DHD has a good grab game.

The disc is very slow but they are good for racking up damage, but not ideal for scoring KOs. I think they are useful when the opponent is immobile while charging a move... like Samus's charge shot, Ness's PK Flash, and Wii Fit Trainer's deep breathing.

The gunman doesn't provide much protection from incoming projectiles. They die after one hit... and usually before they even yelled "FIRE!" I am not sure what to do with them... maybe use them as distractions while I use cans or discs.

I need to practice more. :4duckhunt:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I use gunmen to lock down an axis and scare a reaction. If they shield I'm grabbing. If they jump I'm going airborne because I forced a reaction

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel that DHD is really good despite his disjointed hitboxes and lack of killing moves.

Now that I think about it, we sucked at Duck Hunt (the NES game), of course the NES Zapper player's moves are not very dependable in Smash. Instead of relying too much on the smashes, the can, and the discs... I try to mix them up with the duck's moves and the dog's moves.

I found that the dog's cartwheel move is a good move for approaching while attacking at the same time. I use it when I'm jumping off the stage to attack the off-stage opponent... and then I follow up with the duck's forward peck... kinda like a variation of the wall of pain.

I use the dog's cartwheel and follow up with the duck's simple pecks (tilts) instead of smashes... 30 years and the NES Zapper player still sucks... to rack up damage. Oh, and I have seen the cartwheel score DHD some kills.

Top Bottom