• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DLX Hit Cancel should not be called the DLX cancel

JPOBS

Smash Hero
one more thing, DLX cancel is a dumb name in itself. Nothing against the guy, but a name like DLX cancel would imply that "dlx" has something to do with the attack, but....it doesnt.

i give you "shffl" as an example. all the letters mean something. DLX sounds like it should mean something, but its just a username.
like in Halo, BXR combo is actually a button combo, where you literally press B-X-R.

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet
Naming a tech after the discoverer seems rather pompous, I'll say that much.
I'm fine with any name for it, though. As long as it isn't hard to remember. =)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
This is how you name a technique:

- Is it a cancel?
-- if yes, what does it cancel or how is it cancelled
--- name it [technique cancelled] Cancel
--- name it [technique used to cancel] Cancel
-- if no
--- does a close equivalent exist in another game
---- name it that
--- does it do something easily described within 3 - 5 syllables?
---- name it that

Edit: haha I didn't finish reading this thread, if it's called gattling in other games call it gattling here.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
Who gives a ****? Come on, people. I hope none of you ever wonder why normal people make fun of forums and their weird, twisted memberbase.

Because if any of you wonder why the masses ridicule you, look no further than this thread. Get a frigging clue, for the love of God. It doesn't matter what this technique is called now, or what it's going to be called in the future. It doesn't matter if this DLX guy is a douche or not. You're arguing over absolute tripe.

All that matters is if this technique is viable within the game.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, dude?

I mean, I agree with you. But did this really deserve it's own thread? Do you have nothing else to complain about?

Give it a rest, Yuna. You've just been shooting out meanness and pettiness for too long now. At least Dylan_Tnga kept his ire isolated to just a few threads.

chAvo

Smash Cadet
yuna i don't know if u are aware of this, but he did it as a joke, he said it on the same thread and i personally know the dude. It was meant as a joke (like gimpy with the whole ink drop), but nobody seems to read reply's anymore and it snowballed from there.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Call it whatever u want and quit complaining about names u little babies!
Complaining about other people complaining = failure and essentially spam

And no, this post does not constitute complaining, I'm just stating a fact, so you can't say that I'm complaining about you complaining about Yuna complaining. I win.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Gatling vote +1. DLX cancel is just... lame. It sounds like a rapper.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Who gives a ****? Come on, people. I hope none of you ever wonder why normal people make fun of forums and their weird, twisted memberbase.

Because if any of you wonder why the masses ridicule you, look no further than this thread. Get a frigging clue, for the love of God. It doesn't matter what this technique is called now, or what it's going to be called in the future. It doesn't matter if this DLX guy is a douche or not. You're arguing over absolute tripe.

All that matters is if this technique is viable within the game.
QFT you sir win

JPOBS

Smash Hero
most people seem to favor gatling, and more importantly, no one opposes gatling at all. so...gatling vote +3

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Seriously, dude?

I mean, I agree with you. But did this really deserve it's own thread? Do you have nothing else to complain about?

Give it a rest, Yuna. You've just been shooting out meanness and pettiness for too long now. At least Dylan_Tnga kept his ire isolated to just a few threads.
I disagree. You need to have descriptive and related names or it makes it harder for newer players to start getting into techniques.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^which is why Gatling is better anyways, as DXL is an arbitrary 3 letters that people would have to remember, whereas Gatling is already a term that is in use to describe the same type of thing.

re: craq walking,... agreed.

re: wobbling--one, it is kinda descriptive...just look at the poor trapped person. More importantly, Wobbles was like responsible for doing so much with IC and desynching, as well as (stated before) being the first to use it, making it related to him anyways (same reason I don't dislike the term Ken combo).

but when some random person discovers something that isn't even that hard, creative, or special, why should they get credit. That would be like me calling smashing the control stick to dash Viers-walking, and thus dash canceled upsmashes, grabs VW- grabbing or some **** like that...it's stupid.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
but when some random person discovers something that isn't even that hard, creative, or special, why should they get credit. That would be like me calling smashing the control stick to dash Viers-walking, and thus dash canceled upsmashes, grabs VW- grabbing or some **** like that...it's stupid.
Except dashing is already described in the manual, so that would make it Sakurai-walking

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
it already has a name... its called BUFFERING folks... u input ur next attack on the last few frames of the last attack making it come out quicker... most fighting games have this feature...

no need for silly names...

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
This is stupid. No one is making you call it anything. Call it whatever you want, and let others call it whatever they want. End of story.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
Id there any reason why Yuna's statements throughout this thread make him look like more of a douche than he claims dlx is.
people are getting worked up over the silliest of things.
no offense to whoever like the word gatling, but that just sounds dumb. everytime i hear that word, it makes me think of gatling guns which is sstupid. it also sound gayer than DLX

also, why are you guys picking on this poor soul. wooblin and ken combo could be like the same thing, but you dont hate on the people for making those up.
for example, ken wasnt even close to the first person who used the ken combo; he just got the credit attributed to him. the ken combo is not even that advanced. it is just a fair and dair, but the chain leading up to it can be very different. wobbling is also a gay word which has like nothing to do with being a cheab grabber

infernovia

Smash Ace
for example, ken wasnt even close to the first person who used the ken combo; he just got the credit attributed to him. the ken combo is not even that advanced. it is just a fair and dair, but the chain leading up to it can be very different. wobbling is also a gay word which has like nothing to do with being a cheab grabber
He made marth play how he is right now. Besides, he is considered the best if not, then one of the best smashers in the world, I hate to say he deserves it but he really does. You say Ken combo, I know who and what you are talking about, any smasher in the internet does. DLX is a gay name, and I wish it wouldn't be named that because I always like the technique names in smash. Like SHFFL -> shuffle, wavedashing, Wall of Pain. The name should be a good representation of what the technique actually is.

But if you want to give examples to prove your point, take this. Jiggly's WoP. Do you think that wasn't popularized by anyone?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Ken Combo also wasn't named by Ken himself. It was named by other people in honor of Ken because he created it.

CJayC

Smash Rookie
I love smash, but go play a real fighting game and learn something. You people who don't recognize this as a gatling combo are ignorant. Call it what it is, this isn't Starbucks.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
The Ken Combo also wasn't named by Ken himself. It was named by other people in honor of Ken because he created it.
yeah, that is what i said, hence the word "attributed"
who cares of the name, really? before i joined smashboards, i didnt feel the need to name it anyways. if i say why doesnt the same thing apply to Dlx. he didnt discover it really, but he sure as heck made it known. i mean, there is even a pointless topic arguing about its name with over 2500 views. however, your main argument is that you(OP) dont like this guy.

i still think this sounds heck of a lot better than the word gatling combo.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Ken combo is a COMBO. The only reason it was named as such was because it was ICONIC. Otherwise there is no point in naming a combo.

On the other hand, there are reasons for naming techniques something semantically useful. This is a technique. What is it? Reminiscent of gatlings in other fighting games. Therefore, gatling combo, that's all we need to do.

This reminds me of DA Dash/Pivot cancels.

Frames

DI
Honestly, the biggest problem i have with the DLX hit cancel is that it doesn't tell you what you're actually doing. Many of the advanced techniques give you at least a decent idea of what it is supposed to do ( Wavedashing = based on the "dash" part one could assume it is a movement technique that gives the illusion of a slide or "wave"). If Gatling is what this move really is then so be it, but honestly does it really need a name at all? Is dash attack cancel to upsmash so hard? Granted it's a mouthful, but not everything needs a name. If you're watching a match are you really going to think "gee he just DLX canceled! or wow check out that gatling!"? I would hope people would just say "Oh he canceled the dash attack into an upsmash" instead of trying to give something a name that doesn't necessarily deserve one.

Regardless of what people decide, one thing is clear: DLX hit cancel is a stupid name and that definitely needs to go.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
First off, I honestly have to say I'm STUNNED at the relatively low amount of opposition here. Pre-Brawl attempts to get rid of the name "Ink Drop," before it turned out to not actually be a move at all, were met with more hostility than I care to remember, whereas almost this entire first page is positive responses. Attitudes seem to have changed in the past month or so.

I wholeheartedly agree that a move's name, in most cases, should not refer to its discoverer; it should be descriptive. While gatling doesn't really fit the bill on the descriptive aspect, if there's already a persistence of that term in other games, it seems only natural that it's adopted here, as well. It should NOT, certainly, be named after some random smasher who happened to attend E for All or obtain an import copy of the game early.

If DanteLinkX really did suggest naming it after himself in order to mock the whole ink drop issue... I definitely think that's funny. But if, after doing so, he himself allowed that name to persist, that's just conceited.

In rare cases like the Ken Combo or Wobbling, such names can only be forgiven by remembering that the smashers for which they're named did significant work in discovering and pioneering their use, to a point that it was briefly an iconic trademark of sorts, before its use spread wider in the community.

The name needs changed, my vote's for gatling combo.

Top Bottom