• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DLX Hit Cancel should not be called the DLX cancel

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, so maybe I complain a lot but this issue is just stupid.

There once was this guy called DLX (DarkLink X, whatever, I don't care). He discovered that you can upsmash during a certain frame-window if you hit with your dash attack as Falco. And he posted about it here on Smashboards and said that since he was the first to post about it, the technique should be named after him.

Funny, because I was there that day. And there was another thread talking about the exact same thing which predated DLX's by a day or several hours or whatever. I don't know, maybe DLX posted about it first somewhere else, but unless he can prove his thread predated that other thread (which I could invest time in finding should the need arise), he has no claim here whatsoever.

So until DLX can show us a post about it somewhere other than Smashboards that predated his thread here on Smashboards, I think we should rename the DLX hit cancel.

If for no other reason than that no one should name a technique after themselves, even if they were the first one to discover it.

CJayC

Smash Rookie
I don't know why that name was even humored. It's a freaking gatling, scrubs trying to make a name for themselves in this manner is laughable.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
if you have an X at the end of your name it makes you automatically better as well as cool
just sayin

Niblet

Smash Cadet
Yeah, good luck with that. If it is already in the collective minds then changing it might not work out. There is bound to be something else far more worthwhile for you to complain about.

Dudechapguyman

Smash Cadet
I don't even know why people allow others to name techniques after themselves in the first place. It's a stupid idea, and no one should go along with it.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
I really think it should keep its original name: IASA frames. :/

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
I'm with Yuna here. The DLX cancel ahs to go for various reasons.

Names should get specific, imaginative names only when a descriptive name would be overly complicated. People thata re ufnamiliar with the technique should be able to picture it as soon as they hear the name if that is possible. DLX cancel doesn't fit that criteria, while something like "U-Smash cancel" would. I don't say that this is how it should be called, but it certainly makes more sense than a custom name.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
We're calling it DLX Cancel because people are still trying to make up a better name. We're not acknowledging DanteLinkX. That guy is a douche.

:034:

Smash Hero
Have to agree with Yuna.

I mean, come on, not only does it sound excellently stupid, it already HAS a freaking name in other fighting games (either gatling or linking (this is better)) and techniques were hardly named after people who found out about it in Melee.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
We're calling it DLX Cancel because people are still trying to make up a better name. We're not acknowledging DanteLinkX. That guy is a douche.
It wouldn't surprise me much if we never came up with a better name and continued to use it for years to come, though.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I agree, it should be called the K Hit-Cancel (K for Kr3w)
...no but seriously, we should just stop calling it DLX hitcancel, and then eveyone will catch on and just call it Hit-Cancel.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that we should make the change "official" by changing the name of the technique in the stickied thread. The idea of the guy naming the technique after himself is beyond ********...good thing he didn't figure out wavedashing in Melee.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Why do you care what the technique is named? And even if DLX did'nt post it first, his thread obviously became more popular. Plus, the names of the moves don't affect gameplay. It is the DLX cancel.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why do you care what the technique is named? And even if DLX did'nt post it first, his thread obviously became more popular. Plus, the names of the moves don't affect gameplay. It is the DLX cancel.
Because:
a) You don't get to name a technique after yourself just because you discovered it.
b) His logic is that he discovered and posted about it first, hence he should get to name it. But he wasn't. According to his own logic, someone else should get the honor.
c) He's a douchebag.
d) DLX cancel makes no sense. What the hell does the DLX cancel tell you about the technique?

S0KZ

Smash Cadet
Seriously? You made a topic JUST to complain about the name? It's just a name, it blows my mind that we actually have people attacking someone else for naming it after himself. YOU CAN NAME IT WHATEVER YOU WISH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. Is it really that complicated?

I have just loss all the respect I had for you, I really didn't expect you to sink this low.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Because:
a) You don't get to name a technique after yourself just because you discovered it.
b) His logic is that he discovered and posted about it first, hence he should get to name it. But he wasn't. According to his own logic, someone else should get the honor.
c) He's a douchebag.
d) DLX cancel makes no sense. What the hell does the DLX cancel tell you about the technique?
a) Tell that to countless scientists who have named their laws after themselves.
b) But his became the most popular, which is what obviously matters more.
c) Well that's unfortunate, but that is irrelevant really.
d) What does Wobbling say about the technique? Absolutely nothing. It was named after the guy who first started really using it in gameplay.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously? You made a topic JUST to complain about the name? It's just a name, it blows my mind that we actually have people attacking someone else for naming it after himself. YOU CAN NAME IT WHATEVER YOU WISH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. Is it really that complicated?

I have just loss all the respect I had for you, I really didn't expect you to sink this low.
How horrible for me.

Anyway, it should not be called the DLX hit cancel because he does not deserve to name it, he's a douchebag and he wasn't even the first to discover it. Not to mention that DLX hit cancel tells us nothing about the technique itself.

I tried to tell people these things in the other threads about the technique but it was lost in the spam. So I created a thread to raise awareness. Because, really, it's ******** how idiots can be rewarded for simply discovering something and then taking credit for it by naming it after themselves.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I'm going to stop arguing because my main argument is "who cares?" and obviously if I'm arguing I care. I'm done. w1n

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
a) Tell that to countless scientists who have named their laws after themselves.
Those scientists worked hard for their discoveries. It's either them or someone way after that.
b) But his became the most popular, which is what obviously matters more.
And you want a self-absorbant attention ***** profiteering off it?
c) Well that's unfortunate, but that is irrelevant really.
We'll be reminded of this douche each time someone mentions the technique.
d) What does Wobbling say about the technique? Absolutely nothing. It was named after the guy who first started really using it in gameplay.
Fine. Wobbling may be an exception that wasn't countered in time. But that doesn't mean it should happen again. Plus, it was named after the guy who really started using it in tourneys. That's more deserving than faking a discovery and barge in with the proposal of naming it after yourself. Either way, DlX hItCaNcEl is a terrible name and should be replaced for convenience.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, it only applies to Falco right? so shouldn't it get some sort of name that is in common with Falco? :<

If it was a general thing everyone could do, then I'd see a general name, but its only Falco.

Card

Smash Lord
Naming any advanced technique after yourself is just plain stupid. Not only does it make the technique look stupid, but it makes the person who named it look even more stupid.

Let's not even bring up the fact that the guy who named it is named DANTE LINK X, it's like three of the most immature fanboyish names you can come up with all in one. Seriously, the pinnacle of stupidity.

Let's just call it Gatling Combo? Everyone seems to agree on it, no one seems to have an objection, and it'll only apply to a few characters, so it'll be written out in guides and such as "Falco's Gatling Combo" etc...

S623

Smash Apprentice
Naming any advanced technique after yourself is just plain stupid. Not only does it make the technique look stupid, but it makes the person who named it look even more stupid.

Let's not even bring up the fact that the guy who named it is named DANTE LINK X, it's like three of the most immature fanboyish names you can come up with all in one. Seriously, the pinnacle of stupidity.

Let's just call it Gatling Combo? Everyone seems to agree on it, no one seems to have an objection, and it'll only apply to a few characters, so it'll be written out in guides and such as "Falco's Gatling Combo" etc...
What if it was my name, though? I'm neither a douche nor is my name fanboy-ish. It just doesn't make sense. :lick:

But I agree. We should either abbreviate Dash Attack-Cancel to D.A.C. or use Gatling.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I think we need to find a name that succinctly describes the technique while being easy to remember. In this case, DLX Hit-Canceling is a name everybody will remember, while something like Dash-Canceling describes the tech. Something along the lines of "Stopsmashing" (or a synonym for Stop) is what I'm thinking of.

Card

Smash Lord
What if it was my name, though? I'm neither a douche nor is my name fanboy-ish. It just doesn't make sense. :lick:
I said "Let's not bring up the fact...." I brought it up anyways, but I'm not using it as one of my reasons that it shouldn't be called DLX-hit cancel.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Since the smash community for years has had to battle with opposition from other fighter communities on whether or not Smash is a "real fighter" i say, we adopt the name Gatling.

It would prove that we have some sense of maturity in the way of the fighting genre. Look at this: the whole fighting community from collective games such as Street Fighter and Guilty Gear call this common tactic "gatling" and the noob smash community(by that i mean, smash is relatively young as a competitive series) comes along, and calls it the "DLX hit cancel" or even some other lame name.

The best course would be to call it gatling. We've been trying to prove that smash is a real fighter for years, and now we're going to take a common trait in fighting games and give it some lame *** name? no wonder we dont get respect.

Top Bottom