• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I respect a passion for science, but Dawkins subjects himself to criticism as soon as he uses his reputation as a scientist to write a book in a field he has no knowledge in. It's clear he doesn't have knowledge of what he's talking about, especially when you compare him to other notable atheist philosophers. His opinion on God is no more avlid than that of a plumber, yet people wouldn't pay for a plumber's opinion unless he was famous for something else. Even then, that shouldn't be considered legitimate material ofr the God debate (unless the plumber is actually wel lrea don the issue).

An atheist friend of mine lent me the book "Non-Belief and Evil" by Theodore Drange, an atheist philosopher, and I was impressed after about three pages (it's boring and monotone, but the arguments are good), and you can see the difference.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I respect a passion for science, but Dawkins subjects himself to criticism as soon as he uses his reputation as a scientist to write a book in a field he has no knowledge in. It's clear he doesn't have knowledge of what he's talking about, especially when you compare him to other notable atheist philosophers. His opinion on God is no more avlid than that of a plumber, yet people wouldn't pay for a plumber's opinion unless he was famous for something else. Even then, that shouldn't be considered legitimate material ofr the God debate (unless the plumber is actually wel lrea don the issue).

An atheist friend of mine lent me the book "Non-Belief and Evil" by Theodore Drange, an atheist philosopher, and I was impressed after about three pages (it's boring and monotone, but the arguments are good), and you can see the difference.
Yes, an award-winning professor of biology who is also a Fellow of the Royal Society has the exact same contribution to make in a discussion as a plumber, especially for a field that conspicuously overlaps into his domain of study with such claims as creationism, intelligent design, souls, etc.

I feel like you're just parroting some line or preconceived notion someone has fed you, since you pulled out this "plumber" thing before. You've never actually pointed out any specific issues you have with his arguments or even made it clear you've really ever read any of his books anyway.

Either way, if he doesn't have anything meaningful to add to the discussion, I don't see why you, or any of us, would. Our credentials are clearly lacking in comparison.

@rvkevin, are you reading Sam Harris' Moral Landscape book? I literally just read that about Francis Collins in there.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dre seems to keep insisting that god is this completely sterile academic proposal, with no real world consequences. When in reality, people are being killed and oppressed daily because of their contradictory beliefs in god.

People like Dawkins get all riled up about the god issue because it directly impacts his line of work as an Evolutionary Biologist. As he says, imagine trying to be a historian with a group of belligerent holocaust deniers contradicting everything you say. Standing up and writing a book or two would be the least of your efforts.

God is not merely a philosophical consideration. Though I would expect a philosopher to say that. Once you try to say that god has any impact on the real world, it becomes a scientific hypothesis. It is something which could, in principle if not in practice, be falsified. To say that something is only philosophical, and not scientific, is to say that it is completely pointless.

You may get a warm fuzzy feeling inside talking about the idea of Spectrum Inversion. And it sure is fun to think about. But it is unfalsifiable. Which is to say that it is totally and completely pointless.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
@rvkevin, are you reading Sam Harris' Moral Landscape book? I literally just read that about Francis Collins in there.
I've read it, but that's not where I remembered it from. He used it in a debate against Wolpe.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, ok. Yeah, I had just finally picked up the book and had been reading it. Good and interesting stuff.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hey folks, just wanted to say that I'm away with family over the Thanksgiving break, so I don't have a lot of computer access. Just wanted to explain my recent inactivity. ;)

Aesir

Smash Master
To many people comment on politics without a even a minor understanding on how the Government works. A federal judge saying DADT is unconstitutional, what do the critics say? "Since when does a judge have the right to make laws?" Lol really?

Or better yet these people who think we need to focus on having a balanced budget..... Yeah that's a great idea right now.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
LOL we should have a balanced budget right now (or even better, a surplus). The national debt is ballooning to ridiculous levels. At some point there will be a debt crisis when interest rates rise (currently the Fed is holding interest rates to extremely low levels, which allows the US to refinance its debt at a low rate). Eventually, the Fed's program will lead to inflation, at which point they must either raise the interest rates and bankrupt the government or cause a large amount of inflation.

I assume that you are referring to the idea that the government needs to spend to keep us out of a recession, but this Keynesian theory is certainly not supported by everyone. In fact, I would say it represents a misunderstanding of what a recession is (a rearrangement of resources to match the new demands of the people). Trying to keep the housing bubble inflated, or the American car manufacturers afloat is a perfect example of the government not understanding that people simply don't want those things anymore. It would be better to let the market rearrange those resources so that they go towards things that people actually want and can afford.

Also it's possible to, you know, disagree with the rulings made by judges and their method of interpreting the Constitution. I don't necessarily support DADT (don't know much about the policy) but I don't see anything about it in the Constitution.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
We're also not helping our future politics and economy with the level of education we are providing (or rather, not providing) to children.

Everything just paints a nice cheery picture.

Aesir

Smash Master
LOL we should have a balanced budget right now (or even
better, a surplus) The national debt is ballooning to ridiculous levels. At some point there will be a debt crisis when interest rates rise (currently the Fed is holding interest rates to extremely low levels, which allows the US to refinance its debt at a low rate). Eventually, the Fed's program will lead to inflation, at which point they must either raise the interest rates and bankrupt the government or cause a large amount of inflation.
The Fed Handles monetary policy, I'm talking about fiscal policy. However Inflation generally occurs when the economy is in better shape, so it's likely we won't have to deal with inflation until the economy is recovered (or recovered enough) That's when we pay down the debt. Cut spending; raise taxes.

I assume that you are referring to the idea that the government needs to spend to keep us out of a recession, but this Keynesian theory is certainly not supported by everyone. In fact, I would say it represents a misunderstanding of what a recession is (a rearrangement of resources to match the new demands of the people). Trying to keep the housing bubble inflated, or the American car manufacturers afloat is a perfect example of the government not understanding that people simply don't want those things anymore. It would be better to let the market rearrange those resources so that they go towards things that people actually want and can afford.
A recession is a period of no growth, which is what we're no longer in, we're in a recovery phase. The problem is if you cut spending to try and balance the budget you're going to hurt the recovery and possibly have a double dip. Keynesian theory works quite well in recessions believe it or not, it's the only model we know that works at combating recessions.

We're effectively making the same mistake the Roosevelt Administration made during the Great Depression. When we had growth he would listen to the deficit worriers, so he cut spending and raised taxes to cut the deficit however when he did that economy double dipped. It then took a large public works program called World War 2 to get the economy moving again. that's because everyone had a job then, I would argue that Obama Administration didn't spend enough when it came to jobs, the federal government got nearly all it's money back from Tarp we should be using that money to start a public works program. 300 billion dollars could employ millions of more people and would be a drop in the bucket in comparison to our debt.

That's why I say it's not the right time to try and balance the budget, not until the economy recovers. At the moment we need to spend more money because consumers don't spend, you need capital flowing until people pick up the slack and spend the money.

Also it's possible to, you know, disagree with the rulings made by judges and their method of interpreting the Constitution. I don't necessarily support DADT (don't know much about the policy) but I don't see anything about it in the Constitution.
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a judge, but they are the final authority on the constitution. If a federal judge says DADT is unconstitutional than guess what? it's unconstitutional. This idea that judges can't strike down or make laws is silly, they've had this power since the beginning of the Federal Government.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Keynesian theory led directly to the great depression. The massive spending and public works programs prolonged what would have been a short correction by not allowing the markets to correct imbalances. Ever notice how even during the boom and bust years of the late 1800s, recessions (aka "panics") were over quickly, and there was massive economic growth over that time period? It is the intervention of the government, and particularly the Federal Reserve, that prolongs recessions.

If you think that war helps the economy then you don't understand what the economy does. Total production in the sense of GDP may have increased during the war (according to government valuations of the products produced), but it was production of things that people do not want (bombs, military planes, tanks, etc). Those resources would be better served going towards making things that people do want, like TVs, cars, radios, etc. War does not increase the standard of living of the citizens (the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four gives an example of the government using a perpetual war to keep the citizens from increasing their standard of living).

How does the government diverting resources from the private sector into the public sector help the economy?

Also, on inflation: Inflation tends to be correlated with economic growth because prices fall during recessions (people don't want the goods that are being made as much, so stores lower prices to clear inventory). But this correlation does not mean that it is impossible to have inflation in a weak economy. You need only look to the 1970s to see that.

Also, I was explaining the link between monetary policy and fiscal policy. It is due to the Fed's monetary policy that the US can pursue its current fiscal policy. If interest rates were higher it would be impossible for the US to finance its debt and continue its spending.

Overall, the economy gets weaker the more the government spends. The economy needs private investment to take into account the new demands of the people, and government spending takes money directly out of the private sector. Cutting spending will "hurt" the recovery in the short run in the sense that GDP numbers would be reduced, but it would be healthier for the economy as a whole in the short run and certainly much better in the long run.

On judges: Judges haven't actually had that power since the beginning (ever hear of Marbury v Madison? It's a pretty big deal). But either way I think that most people are simply stating their disagreement with the ruling, not saying that the judge shouldn't have the power to make a ruling at all.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Ever notice how even during the boom and bust years of the late 1800s, recessions (aka "panics") were over quickly, and there was massive economic growth over that time period? It is the intervention of the government, and particularly the Federal Reserve, that prolongs recessions.
Much of the economic growth seen in the late 1800s as well as the upset markets could also be very strongly attributed to the global energy shift that happened during that time period as well, economic instability is a key feature of energy shfits. Coal was becoming more scarce and as a result more expensive during this time period (mining techniques of the day were becoming ineffective at reaching new coal, and that which was easy to mine was running out, there were large switches to more unconventional forms of coal as well), and distillates of petroleum were coming to replace other energy sources in some sectors of the economy as well (such as for lighting).

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Obviously the Industrial Revolution was a huge part of the economic growth in the 1800s.

But if we had a million government programs and central banks intervening in the market place that would have reduced the economic growth of the time period.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Id like to point out rich people saving money, takes more money out of circulation than government does (though it does help US banks lending capacity I suppose, except when their accounts are in another country of course). I mean our government is adding money to the economy we don't own (so much for saving). I would agree that its rather atrocious how many government programs we have now, but you also cant quite categorize them as all bad. My biggest problem with government really is waste, rather than services given. And that would be the only reason I would think government needs to step back and let things settle themselves, when it is utterly incapable of the job, which most of the time it is.

Now if the government is going to do anything in a period of economic crisis, jobs it creates need to build capital (and not monetary capital because I will agree, government is no good at that). This is why I actually like Roosevelt's WPA, and dislike the throw money at things and see if it sticks approach that we used this time around. The WPA built human made capital (parks, schools, roads, dams, etc), it made the country wealthier as a whole because of infrastructure improvements. The money spent then, saw long term returns rather than short term so while it didn't necessary help us with shortening the recession it did help ensure that there was more money circulating so that there would be more incentive for consumption and that would lead to increases in production. Furthermore the WPA also invested in human capital, training people to do these jobs helped increase the skill set of American workers. I would make the point that our current Kenseyan approach to fixing the recession accomplished little in that regard compared the the WPA.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Saving is the basis of growth in the economy. First, savings funds investment, and second, savings is just future spending anyway.

The government adding money to the economy is inflation, which is a bad thing for the average person (it's very good for the government and the politically connected, as well as people that are currently in heavy debt).

Spiking consumption does not grow the economy. Remember, consumption is taking resources out of the economy (once I have a certain TV, no one else can have it). Investment and savings are the things that drive supply, which drives growth. Consumption is a benefit of a good economy, not the cause of a good economy.

The government programs you bring up did make some useful things (better than a lot of government programs, like the military) and it did build human capital, but allowing those resources to go into the free market would have produced more useful things and built human capital more efficiently. Remember that the government doesn't really know how many parks or roads people want. They may have built too many, squandering resources. The market is the best way to determine what people want and use resources efficiently to meet those demands. Keeping those resources from entering the market will prolong the recession.

The best time to do infrastructure building is when the economy is booming, because then you don't have to worry as much about your inefficient government programs dragging the economy down. Running a bunch of government infrastructure programs during a recession is kicking the economy while it's down.

One last thing: the point of an economy is not to have jobs. Creating jobs is not a good criteria for determining whether a policy is good. Everyone in the Soviet Union had a job, but they were all inefficient jobs and their economy suffered. The US could pay everyone to dig holes and fill them up again, creating a lot of jobs, but this would not be doing anything useful. The point is to have efficient jobs that actually satisfy the demands of consumers.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
In equilibrium.

But technological change means that the economy is never in equilibrium. There will always be horse carriage drivers who are put out of work to make way for something better (cars).

Here's another way to understand my point. Wouldn't everyone be better off if we had robots do all the work for us? Jobs are a means to an end (production). They aren't an end in themselves.

Anyway, I'm not sure what policy you would advocate to ensure minimal unemployment but also efficient employment. Government actions taken to ensure employment are producing inefficient employment by definition (excluding the minimal amount of police that we actually need). Since the government had to act to force this employment, the market does not desire it.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I'm interested to know if anyone has heard of the economic and philosophical ideology known as Georgism or Geoism. The proponents of this ideology argue that everything in nature belongs equally to all of humanity, especially land. It's often associated with the idea of a single tax, the land tax which would replace all other taxes. I find this idea interesting, but I don't really support it, I'm just interested to know what everyone else thinks of this idea.

Aesir

Smash Master
Ballin do you understand how Government or the Economy works at all? I don't think you do, you say a lot of things that a first year economics major would rip apart.

Inflation is not going to be a problem for a while because the Fed is keeping the interest rates low, if you understood monetary policy you would have known that. But then again you said The new Deal caused the great depression, so I can't really say I'm surprised.

For the Record the New Deal patched up the Economy and the war brought us out of the depression. But hey I guess facts are lies these days.

Have fun with your doublethink bro.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ballin do you understand how Government or the Economy works at all? I don't think you do, you say a lot of things that a first year economics major would rip apart.
Haha I'd say the same about you. Good job pointing out these things that people will "rip apart" though I guess?

If you want me to appeal to ethos though, I am an Econ minor, so I've taken the first year major classes.

Inflation is not going to be a problem for a while because the Fed is keeping the interest rates low, if you understood monetary policy you would have known that. But then again you said The new Deal caused the great depression, so I can't really say I'm surprised.
What are you talking about? The Fed keeps interest rates low BY PRINTING MONEY. You know how the Fed ended the inflation in the late 70s? BY JACKING INTEREST RATES UP TO 20%.

When the Fed sets interest rates low it causes more inflation as people borrow more money, increasing the fractional reserve multiplier. This isn't as much of a factor right now though because banks aren't lending.

The argument against inflation is that the Fed is keeping interest rates low because they aren't worried about inflation (even though they should be, and by the way they've gotten plenty of things wrong in the past like the housing bubble). The Fed setting interest rates low is caused by low inflation, not the other way around.

The problem is that the Fed is printing tons of money to buy US bonds. This will eventually cause inflation if they continue that policy (which they might, because the US needs inflation in order to be able to pay off its national debt).

For the Record the New Deal patched up the Economy and the war brought us out of the depression. But hey I guess facts are lies these days.

Have fun with your doublethink bro.
Great argument there. Just assert your conclusion.

I explained why war definitely doesn't help the economy. If it did, why don't we just pretend there's a war all the time? That would help the economy and we wouldn't have to actually kill anyone.

The New Deal started in 1932, yet the Great Depression went on all the way until at least World War II. That's an awfully long recession, considering that every recession before lasted only a year or less (yes I know there were a few upward spikes in GDP, but they came back down and again GDP does not tell the whole story of an economy either, especially since it counts GOVERNMENT SPENDING as an input. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees though that the Great Depression went on until World War II).

Now Keynesians argue that the New Deal wasn't big enough. Even though every recession before ended quickly, somehow this one was so much worse that the massive increase in government spending wasn't enough (when no increase was ever needed before). That's if you overlook the huge flaws in Keynesian theory anyway.

Either way, it is very far from a "fact" that the New Deal and World War II brought the US out of the depression.

Also, what doublethink?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I really wanna debate balling4life now, because he's missing the fundamental point that the issue that can cause our economy to go spiraling out of control is DEFLATION not inflation, and the measures in place are preventing runaway deflation (which would in a normal economy result in runaway inflation).

The great depression was a depression btw, not a recession, the mechanics are quite different economically.

But I don't have time, must concentrate on studying.

To many people comment on politics without a even a minor understanding on how the Government works. A federal judge saying DADT is unconstitutional, what do the critics say? "Since when does a judge have the right to make laws?" Lol really?

Or better yet these people who think we need to focus on having a balanced budget..... Yeah that's a great idea right now.
What they're suggesting is that the judiciary is choosing to ignore the content of the law and use judicial fiat as carte blanche in an attempt to essentially create new law which fits their conceptions.

Which to be fair, two schools of legal thought towards the constitution (original intent and living constitution) actually preach.

Of course they're wrong in this case, but comments about the courts "making law" isn't that far off.

Also, another pet peeve, it's not DADT that's being declared unconstitutional, it's the US code, Title 10, subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 37, § 654. DADT was a policy which circumnavigated this law by preventing people from telling or attempting to find out if people were homosexual. Far from preventing homosexuals from serving, it allowed them to serve.

Aesir

Smash Master
Haha I'd say the same about you. Good job pointing out these things that people will "rip apart" though I guess?
Yeah calling the New Deal harmful to the Economy? Any first year Economics student would rip that apart.

If you want me to appeal to ethos though, I am an Econ minor, so I've taken the first year major classes.
Might want to take that year again, you're missing some pretty basic Fundamentals.

What are you talking about? The Fed keeps interest rates low BY PRINTING MONEY. You know how the Fed ended the inflation in the late 70s? BY JACKING INTEREST RATES UP TO 20%.

When the Fed sets interest rates low it causes more inflation as people borrow more money, increasing the fractional reserve multiplier. This isn't as much of a factor right now though because banks aren't lending.

The argument against inflation is that the Fed is keeping interest rates low because they aren't worried about inflation (even though they should be, and by the way they've gotten plenty of things wrong in the past like the housing bubble). The Fed setting interest rates low is caused by low inflation, not the other way around.

The problem is that the Fed is printing tons of money to buy US bonds. This will eventually cause inflation if they continue that policy (which they might, because the US needs inflation in order to be able to pay off its national debt).
See the problem is Deflation is far worse than inflation. In flation isn't necessarily bad but when it happens quickly it's a problem. Usually when inflation occurs The Fed increases interest rates and the gov raises taxes. What's wrong with that? Inflation usually occurs when the economy is booming. (However like most social sciences it isn't the "law") During economic booms it's good to raise taxes and cut spending.

Great argument there. Just assert your conclusion.

I explained why war definitely doesn't help the economy. If it did, why don't we just pretend there's a war all the time? That would help the economy and we wouldn't have to actually kill anyone.
I never said it helped the Economy I said World War 2 did.

The New Deal started in 1932, yet the Great Depression went on all the way until at least World War II. That's an awfully long recession, considering that every recession before lasted only a year or less (yes I know there were a few upward spikes in GDP, but they came back down and again GDP does not tell the whole story of an economy either, especially since it counts GOVERNMENT SPENDING as an input. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees though that the Great Depression went on until World War II).
Simple answer to a simple question. The Government would spend money then it and we would get growth in the Economy, then the deficit worriers would scream, and then they would cut spending. That's why when you look at the data growth was sporadic back then no one had a very firm grasp on Macro theory so they would get worried and screw it up. Cutting spending during a recession only prolongs it. It took a large public works program called World War 2 to get us out.

Now Keynesians argue that the New Deal wasn't big enough. Even though every recession before ended quickly, somehow this one was so much worse that the massive increase in government spending wasn't enough (when no increase was ever needed before). That's if you overlook the huge flaws in Keynesian theory anyway.
You're comparing Recessions which in comparison to the great depression at tiny blips. You had devastating effects because the world economy crashed. A banking collapse Tariffs, ect.. all lead to that terrible time. It's not that the new deal wasn't big enough it's the fact that they cut spending which lead to recessions. I'm not Saying Keysian Theory is infallible either, but it's the best solution to large scale world wide recessions.

Either way, it is very far from a "fact" that the New Deal and World War II brought the US out of the depression.

Also, what doublethink?
Well most economists and people who subscribe to sanity would disagree with you there.

adumbrodeus-

I'm saying most people don't understand what the Judicial branch does. Courts do make "laws" though they can't make up a completely new law, they're only confined to the constitution, which I think we can all agree is a pretty broad document.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adumbrodeus-

I'm saying most people don't understand what the Judicial branch does. Courts do make "laws" though they can't make up a completely new law, they're only confined to the constitution, which I think we can all agree is a pretty broad document.
But the criticism is just as applicable for people who are familiar with the law and the mechanics of the court as people who are spouting it as a soundbite.

US v. Arnold is a wonderful example of a judge who essentially invented case law out of thin air using precedent and law that didn't support his view and pretending it did to justify a holding, a perfect example of this in practice. This is a judge essentially writing law.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I really wanna debate balling4life now, because he's missing the fundamental point that the issue that can cause our economy to go spiraling out of control is DEFLATION not inflation, and the measures in place are preventing runaway deflation (which would in a normal economy result in runaway inflation).

The great depression was a depression btw, not a recession, the mechanics are quite different economically.

But I don't have time, must concentrate on studying.
I'm not sure what definitions you are using, but for me a recession is just a reduction in output. A depression I suppose is a severe type of recession then. But what's your definition of depression?

Anyway, deflation, in the sense of falling prices, is a good thing. We generally had deflation in this country from the late 1700s until the early 1900s. and that period saw sustained growth. Deflation makes things easier for people to buy, raising their standard of living. It also gives incentives to save and invest, which grow the economy.

The main argument for deflation being a bad thing is the old "deflationary spiral", which states that falling prices will lead to fewer people buying things (as they know if they wait a while the price will fall further), and then this lowered demand will lead to even lower prices.

The first problem with this argument is that it is inconsistent with the actual behavior of consumers. For example, computers and electronics have steadily falling prices (as technology improves), and yet people still purchase them. Sure, there are some people that say "No, I'll buy a computer next year when they are cheaper", but not enough to completely crash the market (people have time preference, meaning that they would rather have the computer now than later). This brings me to the second point, which is that current savings are future spending. That person who decides to buy a computer next year just INCREASED FUTURE DEMAND, so the money gets spent eventually (and even before that, saved money is used for investment, which is the true driver of growth in the economy). Lastly, a deflationary spiral cannot drive prices to 0. There will be a point where prices cannot go down any further (the marginal cost of production), and the deflationary spiral ends.

We tend to associate deflation with recessions, but this is a symptom, not a cause. Prices fall during recessions because the economy is realigning itself. A recession indicates that firms have misusing resources and been producing goods that people do not desire. The prices of those goods have to fall to clear the market, and there is a slowdown in production as resources are reshuffled into uses that people will desire. But deflation is necessary to clear the market and move those resources to a productive sector of the economy.

Lastly, there have been far more economic collapses due to inflation than deflation. Look at the Weimar Republic, Zimbabwe, Argentina, even the US during the Revolutionary War.

Yeah calling the New Deal harmful to the Economy? Any first year Economics student would rip that apart.
I take it you aren't a first year economics student then?

Might want to take that year again, you're missing some pretty basic Fundamentals.
I'd say that I understand your side better than you do.

See the problem is Deflation is far worse than inflation. In flation isn't necessarily bad but when it happens quickly it's a problem. Usually when inflation occurs The Fed increases interest rates and the gov raises taxes. What's wrong with that? Inflation usually occurs when the economy is booming. (However like most social sciences it isn't the "law") During economic booms it's good to raise taxes and cut spending.
A booming economy is correlated with price inflation, as I said before. However, it is not the case that the economy HAS to be growing for there to be inflation. See the 1970s in the US, or the inflationary economic collapses I listed above.

It's not a good idea to raise taxes ever, but whatever (although according to basic Keynesian theory a 100% tax on everything will actually grow the economy). Definitely better to raise taxes during a boom than during a bust though.

I never said it helped the Economy I said World War 2 did.
If World War II helped the economy, then why don't we just pretend that there is a war going on and start making more planes, bombs, tanks, etc? It would be just like a war but without the whole "people dying" thing. Wouldn't this help the economy?

Simple answer to a simple question. The Government would spend money then it and we would get growth in the Economy, then the deficit worriers would scream, and then they would cut spending. That's why when you look at the data growth was sporadic back then no one had a very firm grasp on Macro theory so they would get worried and screw it up. Cutting spending during a recession only prolongs it. It took a large public works program called World War 2 to get us out.

You're comparing Recessions which in comparison to the great depression at tiny blips. You had devastating effects because the world economy crashed. A banking collapse Tariffs, ect.. all lead to that terrible time. It's not that the new deal wasn't big enough it's the fact that they cut spending which lead to recessions. I'm not Saying Keysian Theory is infallible either, but it's the best solution to large scale world wide recessions.
The Great Depression would have been a "tiny blip" (by the way, those other recessions weren't tiny blips, they were just much much shorter) without the massive intervention by the government and Federal Reserve of the time. There would have been a short period (1-2 years) of hardship, and then the economy would have recovered, just like in the other severe recessions (see Panic of 1907, Depression of 1920).

It's a myth by the way that Hoover took a hands off approach to the recession - he (and the Fed) actually made huge interventions in the market, which deepened the problems. Of course, Roosevelt took that to a whole new level.

Well most economists and people who subscribe to sanity would disagree with you there.
Except that there are plenty of economists that agree with me.

And many of the ones that don't are on the government's payroll, so they might be just a bit biased in their analysis.

adumbrodeus-

Heh. The constitution is actually pretty specific with the powers that it gives to the federal government. It is the EXTREMELY loose interpretations of the commerce clause and the necessary and proper clause that allow the federal government to do so much (see the case where growing plants in your own home for sale to people within your state counts as interstate commerce).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
We probably need a controversial God/homosexuality/abortion/religion thread to make everyone want to shove their opinions down the throats of others.

Or we could do another event, like a debate knockout tournament or something like that.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've made the God one, you make a thread about a Protestant being aborted or something Andre.
That sounds better.

Actually I might start a thread arguing that women are inferior to men. That's sure to ignite some activity.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think it's hard at all to determine what life is.

And it's not a debate that can be ignored because it's "hard", because it has practical implications. Babies are getting killed, so it needs to be decided whether that's right or wrong.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I think determining what constitutes as life, if you are aware of even a preliminary amount of biology, can be difficult, especially with such a sharp divide over defining things as "life" and "not life".

However, I think what really makes the debate difficult is how to quantify and assess the "life" of one thing versus another. A human blastula consists of living cells, yet, it has less cells, and less structure and organization than a common house fly. So, what should we value more, and how should we determine that? Then there are, for the abortion debate, things to consider as spontaneous abortions, that further make it fuzzy how much weight should be set to a collection of cells.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But the issue can be resolved if we assess what those cells will develop into (assuming we accept that a human life is worthy of preserving, and is superior to that of animals).

The design plans of a revolutionary car model, which are just drawings on paper, are worth far more than a random piece of paper with a drawing of a tree on it. They're both pieces of paper with a drawing, but it's what the designs lead into, or contributes to, especially considering what it is contributing to can't be achieved without these designs, that makes it far more valuable.

I'm not saying that wins the debate, because you can attempt a women's rights argument, or that it should be protected only once it has avchieved personhood, but I think the above paragraph eliminates the biology issue.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Here is a really interesting article about how women are becoming the superior gender in society:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/
I didn't read all of the article, but I wouldn't disagree with the concept of girls being more able in this society than men. I am a man btw.

I also dislike abortion debates.

I don't think God debates work because there is no possible conclusion. Deists/theists can't prove the existence of God (well.. I've never seen it happen) but God is usually defined in a non-falsifiable manner by the believers. If anyone knows how to perhaps adjust the debate, that'd be nice. I have no ideas.

Even going down into say, Christianity: Christians can basically say everything that could possibly be tested scientifically is metaphorical or symbolic. Not that I'm against religious belief, but debates go nowhere when you create non-falsifiable assertions. I mean, there's occum's razor, but that doesn't convince people by itself. God debates are interesting the first couple of times you see them unfold, but if the ground is level they tend to end in the same way. Unless someone has some super argument I've never heard, I'd love to hear it. (in a thread)

/rant

edit: this came up:
jaswa said:
Umm... theism prescribes the natural processes of the universe as created and maintained by an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, eternal, divinely simple and self-necessary otherwise than being.
Dre said:
Jaswa is reffering to what is commonly perceived to be the most philosophically/logically strong notion of God, one which stems entirely from reason and not from faith.
Heck, I might even agree with that, but I do not agree with this assessment of God as the one that is most rationally strong ... I think we might have a God topic we can finally debate on. ( I would encourage nontheists to join in.) With Jaswa's permission, I will quote him and make a new thread on that topic where I will make my case. However I can only debate if we refer to this deity as the Christian God as described, say, from the canonical text of the Bible? Unless you want me to pull out some devil's advocate.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've made the God one, you make a thread about a gay man being aborted or something Andre.
No. Make a thread about whether or not gay men have the right to have abortions.

But the issue can be resolved if we assess what those cells will develop into
Not to be overly morbid, but considering that all living cells eventually develop into dead cells, I'm not sure that argument really resolves the biology issue.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
But the issue can be resolved if we assess what those cells will develop into (assuming we accept that a human life is worthy of preserving, and is superior to that of animals).

The design plans of a revolutionary car model, which are just drawings on paper, are worth far more than a random piece of paper with a drawing of a tree on it. They're both pieces of paper with a drawing, but it's what the designs lead into, or contributes to, especially considering what it is contributing to can't be achieved without these designs, that makes it far more valuable.

I'm not saying that wins the debate, because you can attempt a women's rights argument, or that it should be protected only once it has avchieved personhood, but I think the above paragraph eliminates the biology issue.
Ah, just like back in the Good old Proving Grounds...

I made the point that the design could fail, so it's not exactly a strong point, but it does weaken your one.

No. Make a thread about whether or not gay men have the right to have abortions.
Gay men getting pregnant?:bee:

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'd be up for a homosexual right type debate, if we have both sides present, I wouldn't want to gang up on one or two people.

Don't ask don't tell? I suppose that is kind of a current event, but we could give it it's own thread.

D

Deleted member

I like the new thread we have about god, at least it's a different approach than the one about the creation of the universe.

on the topic of making new topics, maybe making a topic about to what degree governments should be allowed to keep information confidential, if at all.

Top Bottom