• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Custom Stage Tournament

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Custom stages are a really underdeveloped part of Smash, and with the new features that Wii U brought to it this mode should definitely get more recognition in my opinion. This is why I thought of a Custom Stage Tournament.
  • The only legal stages in a tournament are custom stages
  • Participants can send in their ideas for custom stages until a few days before the tournament starts.
  • Stages can be anything as long as they can be considered legal if they were to be an official stage. So no entirely new meta, no walkoffs, no springs all over the bottom of the blastbox, you get the idea. Also they should be easy to understand; players should be able to see how the stage 'works' in less than a minute.
  • Approximately 10 stages will be picked legal for the tournament (procedure for neutral stages/counterpicks should be thought of). These stages can all be used during the tournament.
  • All stages are uploaded on Miiverse and can be downloaded by participants the day before (or the same day for an extra element of surprise) the tournament starts.
I'd love to try this out sometime, but I'm no experienced tournament organisor at all. Let me know your opinions and any flaws in the plan. I might just make a new thread for an online tourney following these rules sometime in the future.

Last edited:

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'm no tourney organizer myself but I'd participate in a custom stage tourney for sure

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I don't know about this idea. There is going to be so many loops to bound over. Character effectiveness and balance can be determined by the stage - even if the stage lacks hazards.

I'm not saying Smash 4 is a balanced(party)fighter, but stages play a big role in matches. Even if the custom stages were designed to be like their own Omega stages, there is always going to be something that screws over a particular character fighter or force them to work harder just by recovering.

Last edited:

FSMellon

Smash Rookie
NNID
mellon1111
There is this one YouTuber out there who specializes in making Custom stages for Smash and Mario Maker. His track record includes a stage identical to Castle Siege but without transforming, a recreation of Metal Cavern 64, remaking Yoshi's Island Brawl and Yoshi Story with a fully functional Randall in both of them and so on. If you want to find these stages either go to YouTube ans search for "Lorulean" or go to Miiverse and search for "FoxMcLovin" on Activity Feed.

As Proteun will know I have already made a ton of custom stages, some of which would even be considered legal. I would be happy to upload all of them to my Miiverse (mellon1111) and make more depending on when I feel inspired or not.

Last edited:

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
I don't know about this idea. There is going to be so many loops to bound over. Character effectiveness and balance can be determined by the stage - even if the stage lacks hazards.

I'm not saying Smash 4 is a balanced(party)fighter, but stages play a big role in matches. Even if the custom stages were designed to be like their own Omega stages, there is always going to be something that screws over a particular character fighter or force them to work harder just by recovering.
You know, here's the deal. This is exactly my point. Counterpick stages are such a big deal in Smash nowadays, it would be a fun and educational experience to many players - including myself. These new stages might even change up the tiers a bit.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Fine, I'm tired of waiting. I'm going to make a Challonge page for this tournament in about a week. In the meantime, post here if you're interested to join.

Top Bottom