• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I have spectators that can affirm to it. I really wish I could stream, but I'm limited to a laptop right now and also living at home. I'll be at paragon and maybe I'll try to MM a big name on stream. The no-names statement was not directed at ham, I just see it all over the place and I don't understand why everyone is having trouble with it. I don't mean to "throw around" ken's name, he's one of the only big names I've played unless you count people like Wizzy and Christian.
Setups for grabs are rather easy, it's just managing micro-situations and knowing how to cover options and react to them quickly.
If you want me to make a chart of situations and spell out how to manage option coverage, I'd me more than happy to do it, I'd just need time. I could possibly record them too, but no promises on that one.
Grabs are bad on miss, that's a no-brainer that applies to the entire cast. If you miss, go to shield and just Shorthop Nair OoS to re-position and space yourself out for neutral again. If they chose to grab you as punish, You'll either grab parry them, or you get grabbed. If you get grabbed, do your best to pick the least expected option (DItech left, DI tech right, prone then wait, prone roll etc.) You'll learn what the opponent wants after getting comboed once. You'll learn what they like to do with momentum and it's as simple as acting calmly and taking the correct option to get out.
Yoshi is a character that has to commit, yes. BUT does that mean it's unsafe? Not necessarily. If you put thought behind what you what to do on that approach, then you can take the steps necessary to make it safe, to the point where you're basically unable to be punished.
here's an example. You get a Fair on shield and land in front of them. Most players will then attempt a shieldgrab. If you Lcanceled (or better yet, did a false fair {canceled before hitboxes exist}) you can parry the grab. then you get free anything.

say you get a Dair on shield and land directly behind them. L cancel and then use the reverse jab hitboxes to apply pressure, time them so that you can rhythmically hit jab-jab-jab-etc. Next time you do it, do a double jab, next time, jab and then do a reverse bomb (this will shield-break if you get half of a Dair). Any one of these options covers ways the opponent can escape. If they chose wrong the first time, you take the "correct" options away the second time and they have no clue what to do after that.

It doesn't have to be a Dair to start the pressure, it can be anything. If you apply the rhythm pressure with Jabs, they can only
1: stay in shield and risk a break
2: roll
3: grab at the correct timing to the jabs
You-1: everything else will be jabbed and you get a free dash grab from that.
You-2: roll gets a dash grab if you react quick enough
You-3: grab means that you can switch up to pressure 2 or 3.

If you want to space them, jab and Dtilt hold the jab rhythm so you can do that to make their shield slide out of range of a shield grab. ( I personally Like this on characters with no grab range)

Simplistically, jabs lead to near-free dash grabs since grab will hit aerial opponents and tank damage with grab armor. The only way to escape it is if they're light enough to jump away (marth^) or heavy enough to hit the ground and spot dodge (fox-ish) (if they do this, just Jump cancel grab instead of dash so the grab stays out slightly longer than their spotdodge).

IF they CC the Jabs, Dtilt them away. Even great players will be caught by this, after CCing the jab(s) they will input a tilt or a smash or something out of CC that the character can do. The Dtilt is faster than most of that so it will stuff the input for a spit second, then their character will do the thing they wanted (especially if they mash) then you get a free grab.

There are countless ways to use and abuse the character and the game mechanics to get grabs (sometimes that are super janky looking). Look at the tools as a whole, not by themselves

Scatz

Smash Champion
Stop bringing up a one time scenario that made it happen. Consistency overall matters more than one time. I can get grabs on good people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say that it's amazing because I know what it's weaknesses are.

Understanding the move by itself is key because it's rating how strong/weak the move is. I can easily just come back and say Diddy's Nanners in 3.02 were super powerful because it's applicable to tons of situations and typically the victor. The applications that a single move can create plus handle on it's own is key to understanding characters. Just like how you and I talked about Egg roll in 3.02.

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
Yo Hamyojo, I was one of the Yoshis on UNT's team during that crew battle a couple weeks back. Do you have any pointers you could give? that is if you remember lol

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Tombo, were going to need some vids, sorry. It really will help everyone improve seeing all this in context. Seeing an experienced player using a solid tactic will make everything you say far easier to think about in a clear way.
Pug, I do remember!
1. Focus on staying safe.
2. To push your punish game to that next level perfect those DJC's. Its hard, but can lead in to so much damage.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Welp, the guy in charge of posting videos to Youtube is slacking, so I'm going to post the twitch vods from the past two weeks.

Here's my game last week versus Alex http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/590663999?t=15m47s. Mojohnbo is commentating this one. Alex played Kirby in 3.02 and was a top player. He switched to squirtle this patch and this happened. He switched back to kirby for the tournament yesterday and ended up taking the whole thing, beating Xaltis and Porkchops twice.

Here's my Loser's semis match v. Mojohnbo http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/593105610?t=2h1m30s. He totally embarrassed me in winners and I feel like I did a lot better this match.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Heyos

I've been playing Project M with a group of peeps for about a month or 2.
Only played Yoshi once so far as I'm still trying out every character to a point where I can be decent with everyone as with Brawl. (It's what I do lol)

Something I noticed...his second jump seems a bit slower compared to in other games and the short hop from Egg throw I don't think I even got any height from using it o.o

Still I've only used him once so far before the 3.5 update ...but is there something I might be missing maybe?
His recovery feels so slow :/

Scatz

Smash Champion
His DJ is faster than Melee's Brawl's and PM's are the same.

They removed the ability to use the hops that Brawl Yoshi had. It's back to it's 64/Melee form.

didds

Smash Lord
They should just make Yoshi's up b Falco's up b. Right guys?
Rising uairs to upb could lead to early kills off the top but I'll admit that I prefer my current edge game.

I answer cause it was obviously a serious comment.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
His DJ is faster than Melee's Brawl's and PM's are the same.

They removed the ability to use the hops that Brawl Yoshi had. It's back to it's 64/Melee form.
Huh why would they remove that? Doesn't that make Yoshi even easier to gimp now? 0.0

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Huh why would they remove that? Doesn't that make Yoshi even easier to gimp now? 0.0
He's based on Melee Yoshi, not Brawl Yoshi. Yes, his recovery is worse, but up b not giving lift is used as a tool a lot of the time.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
He's based on Melee Yoshi, not Brawl Yoshi. Yes, his recovery is worse, but up b not giving lift is used as a tool a lot of the time.
Yes. One of the cooler things I've seen other Yoshi's do is Double jump to fake going for a high recovery and canceling it with an eggtoss to bring them to the ledge.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Huh I'll give that a try. Don't think I've ever tried recovering using egg roll before in any of the games

V

Smash Ace
How would you rank the match up difficulty between Marth, Fox, and Pit?

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
How would you rank the match up difficulty between Marth, Fox, and Pit?
Fox is 30-70 in Yoshi's favor, Marth is 45-55 in Yoshi's favor (disputed among yoshi mains to be closer to even or slightly in marth's favor) Pit is about 50-50 with Yoshi

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
I do not see that match being 70-30 for Yoshi. Fox has guaranteed waveshine followups, u-tilt and Bair wall out Yoshi, and he can edgeguard his recovery very well. Yoshi only has his gimps and punishes, but you'd have to get past Fox's dominant neutral, and you edgeguarding him is a pain unless he's below the stage or you have godly sniping skills with those eggs.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Why is Yoshi vs Fox 70-30 Yoshi's favor?
Fox has trouble dealing with armor (can't shinespike even) and Yoshi can jump or nair out of most of what Fox tries to pull (notably uthrow->uair).

Offensively Yoshi destroys Fox. Chaingrabs, juggles, combos, etc... downsmash sends fox at a gross angle that he can't recover from easily. Nair knocks him offstage at early %'s too, and they are easy to land out of neutral or out of shield. When fox gets offstage he may as well be dead. Yoshi has braindead edgegaurds that Fox can't really combat.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Fox has trouble dealing with armor in melee too. Fox still blows up Yoshi in melee. Main thing that changed is the rising aerials, eggs (which can be considered a nerf for this matchup), and jumping OoS. While we're able to jump OoS and punish Fox for some of his mistakes, a lot of smart pressure is still pretty free on Yoshi's shield due to the longer jump frame.

Parry, in melee, made Fox respect Yoshi's shield game a little better, but it still remains bad because you couldn't give an answer to drill + shine. Now we're given OoS options, yet, perfect drill shines still seem dominant to Yoshi's ability on shielding. Unless we're able to test if we can activate DJ armor just before shine comes out, it's better off not getting stuck in shield or SDI-ing shield so that his pressure and follow-ups are harder to react to.

didds

Smash Lord
70 30 is really extreme. A smart fox will dominate neutral and it often takes a hard read to get something started.

dash attack reks recovery tho

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Fox has trouble dealing with armor in melee too. Fox still blows up Yoshi in melee. Main thing that changed is the rising aerials, eggs (which can be considered a nerf for this matchup), and jumping OoS. While we're able to jump OoS and punish Fox for some of his mistakes, a lot of smart pressure is still pretty free on Yoshi's shield due to the longer jump frame.

Parry, in melee, made Fox respect Yoshi's shield game a little better, but it still remains bad because you couldn't give an answer to drill + shine. Now we're given OoS options, yet, perfect drill shines still seem dominant to Yoshi's ability on shielding. Unless we're able to test if we can activate DJ armor just before shine comes out, it's better off not getting stuck in shield or SDI-ing shield so that his pressure and follow-ups are harder to react to.
honestly, the main thing that changed about the match up are grabs and throws. That might just be me though.

-Maddox-

Smash Cadet
I'd say fox is probably 50-50 and Marth is probably 40-60 (Marth's favor). I haven't played against any really good Pits to know about the match up.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Yoshi destroys Marth lol. That MU is like 65/35 in Yoshi's favor for sure. Use that double jump armor.
Fox Yoshi is probably 55/45 in Fox's favor. I beat Disafter(lives with Sethlon, overall great Fox) today in this MU and have to say a smart Fox is very scary. Yoshi still has some serious trouble approaching.
Also I beat Luck(Diddy Kong) today. Stream vids soon.
Got double eliminated by Dakpo(G&W) today. First set ended with him 4 stocking me but I adapted and second set took him to game 3. Meh. This game has so many crazy MU's. I'm picking up Diddy Kong, actually, in case I find any really bad MU's.

Anyone have tips for dealing with Luigi? That MU ain't the same as it was in Melee, it infuriates me that I can't seem to edge guard him.
Also I have no idea what Wario even does wat do I doooooo?

Last edited:

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Yoshi destroys Marth lol. That MU is like 65/35 in Yoshi's favor for sure. Use that double jump armor.
Fox Yoshi is probably 55/45 in Fox's favor. I beat Disafter(lives with Sethlon, overall great Fox) today in this MU and have to say a smart Fox is very scary. Yoshi still has some serious trouble approaching.
Got double eliminated by Dakpo(G&W) today. First set ended with him 4 stocking me but I adapted and second set took him to game 3. Meh. This game has so many crazy MU's. I'm picking up Diddy Kong, actually, in case I find any really bad MU's.

Anyone have tips for dealing with Luigi? That MU ain't the same as it was in Melee, it infuriates me that I can't seem to edge guard him.
Overall, I hate using Yoshi to fight floaters. It's so hard to get anything started, and when you do, your punish only get you like 3 hits at best, and that's only in the low percents, but then there's that godly combo-breaking Nair. I have a friend with a very smooth Luigi, so I have some MU experience. Punish his horizontal movement with DJ Nairs, and don't try to overextend combos.

Also, I know you can egg stall, but I suggest learning how to edgeguard with it (throwing the eggs offstage rather than towards it :p). Luigi's recovery is kinda slow, and he really can't do anything when he's going through a green missile. Hogging the ledge and throwing eggs above you can cover alot of his options. Again, this is really risky, as I've been edgehogged in the middle of this before, but that was me not paying attention XD. Usually, I switch to Fox for this MU. Hope this'll be helpful to you, man.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Not much experience playing as Yoshi vs Luigi, but when I used Mario, I constantly spaced and walled out like Marth. Bair will get stuffed, so I'd keep an anti-air playstyle going. With Egglay's extended range, it should help relieve some of Luigi's pressure since it's easier for him to get caught in the air (such horrible movement lol) or wavedash into one.

Wario is identical to melee Jiggs. All about poking and crossing up, but the biggest difference if his neutral B (Bite), which is a command grab. The gameplay is gonna be slower and more about walling. He's fairly good combo weight though from my experience. Also, Wario's side B is super punishable on shield.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman

You should practice grabbing cpu foxes and learn the guaranteed followups you get off of uthrow and downthrow. The biggest reason tombo and i think that mu is so lopsided for yoshi is because we both grab a lot.

For luigi, dont try to combo him. Two hit combos at most, try to fake going for an unsafe extension and bair the nair for easy punish. Most of all, grounded down b destroys luigi. It kills him at 60-80 depending on the map, and completely stuffs all of his approaches. Wavedash in? Down b. Down b in? Down b. If he picks fd, let him. Crouch cancel is really strong. When edgeguarding, dont try to rising aerial his up b or his down b. If hes far out and using the missile, the nair is a good option.

As for wario, nair beats side b 100% of the time. Try not to sit in shield because he has gross guarantees off of bite. If he goes for dthrow, side b, tech in. Dont rising aerial to edguard. Try to force him to up b onto stage, neutral get up, and downsmash or fsmash, his horizontal recovery is very limited. Armor works well against wario, especially against his fart. Dthrow -> djc uairs work well for quite a few reps. Kills off the too with downb, uair, and usmash are most common, but if you ever get him far enough offstage you can punish him for it.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so, uh, Ike is definitely bull**** now. if he hits you you probably end up offstage and since eggroll sucks as a recovery now you can't nair or airdodge out of it. You are forced to recover high at which point Ike can easily keep you from coming down with his insane coverage and yoshis lack of mobility. I think Ike is top tier in 3.5 and I think he's definitely one of Yoshi's hardest matchups now.

-Maddox-

Smash Cadet

What do you do against Marth that makes it so easy? I was probably a bit off with 40-60 but I play against a lot of socals top players and don't necessarily find Marth unstoppable but it feels difficult, mainly because tippers break armor at really low percents. But perhaps my struggles with Marth are a personal problem?

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ -Maddox- -Maddox- it was a 50-50 Mu in melee, Yoshi in PM has triple the options and Marth has a shorter sword. if you don't get tippered at the edge of the stage early, he can't kill you with anything but an Fsmash until like 150%
@ hamyojo hamyojo follow mumbo's advice somewhat, Luigi is not a character you will be able to combo across the stage unless the stage is small. Go for weak Nairs to stuff his aerials and follow downthrow with a singe upair or weak Nair.
Also Fox v Yoshi is definitely not a fun Mu but they both combo eachother hard. Yoshi's combos lead to death though, fox can only really wrack up percent and then only his kill moves will finish you, he has no real way to gimp you reliably. Yoshi has so many tools for keeping fox off the ledge.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Been playing Yoshi on and off. After watching Hamyojo's newest videos, they made some comments that made me want to check some data in Brawbox. I figured 3.5 would fix the weird hurtboxes on back air, up air, and a few others, but they weren't. Is it known why tail attacks have such weird random hurtboxes? Why would they leave it in?

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've changed my Smash tag, so I'll be switching over to a new account.

My new username is Garr.

Nothing personal regarding my old name. Just thought I'd use it for something else. Off to the new account :).

Top Bottom