• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Comprehensive Guide to Link's AT's

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hmm... you may be reading too much into the word 'latter' because it's actually a very quick input. Plus the dash throw animation is talking about the animation of Link's arm as he is throwing the bomb (blink and you'll miss it), not the entire wind-down period after. If you read the broader explanation it makes it fairly clear that it is a very quick input (3 to 5 frames) and is only delayed in comparison to the non-fake out variations. I merely decided to write it in several different ways to better help people understand.
Having said this, I should probably word this particular explanation a bit better as you the reader have interpreted it to mean something that I did not intend.

Zabuu

Smash Rookie
As far as I know, currently there is no down throw bombslide otherwise I would have listed it; there is only the fake out version.

As for the Bairs with bombs thing, I had already made a brief mention of this in the note of the C4.
Actually, when doing the Bombslide Down-throw Fake Out with meteor bombs, you're able to slightly slide forward while throwing the bomb on the floor. Fiddle around with the timing a bit and you'll see. Not sure if the distance you slide is actually useful, but it might be.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually, when doing the Bombslide Down-throw Fake Out with meteor bombs, you're able to slightly slide forward while throwing the bomb on the floor. Fiddle around with the timing a bit and you'll see. Not sure if the distance you slide is actually useful, but it might be.
?
The particular bomb you use doesn't change anything. So, no.
Judging by the mention of the small slide distance, I can only assume that you are talking about either a JC throw downwards, or more likely, interrupting an initial dash (not dash throw) by throwing the bomb downwards.
Both are wrong...

Zabuu

Smash Rookie
Yeah, tried it doing it JC style, was about the same indeed (not exactly the same, but very similar) and moreover a lot easier to pull off.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
While I was playing with my cousin Zack Yoshida, who mains Link, he performed this ultra-high jump from a Tether recovery. Has someone seen that before? Can that be a new AT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLXmdakwd0&feature=youtu.be
I've seen something similar before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYcGaUeURE0
I got some things to work on certain stages, but I wasn't aware it could be done on any legal stages. There's something weird going on with that halberd ledge, possibly due to the transition of the stage.
Yep I just tested, it only works when the stage is in transition. You have to reel it in just as the platform is going into the base of the ship.

CCTR

Smash Rookie
I’ve found a reliable way to soft throw bombs, without needing to use the a-stick, that isn’t currently listed in the AT guide. The process is as follows:

While holding a bomb, hold shield and tilt the control stick back so that your shield tilts backward, then press attack and you will soft throw the bomb backwards.

This method is WAY more forgiving and consistent than just using the control stick and attack button. As long as you don’t tilt too hard and cause Link to roll or do a shine bomb throw, you should be able to pull off a soft throw every time. While this method is not as easy or versatile as the a-stick soft throws, with practice it can be just as reliable and is great for Links that prefer using c-sticks and b-sticks.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Go on Halberd, and when the platforms are joining together, tether onto the larger platform. Just hang there and don't attempt to get up. At some point, your tether will completely vanish. If you want to replicate that result, time it so that you're traveling up your tether when it will disappear. The speed at which you're traveling up the tether will then translate into vertical momentum (or diagonal, if you're traveling up at an angle) since your travel speed wasn't stopped by the ledge . It's all about the timing.

As for it's practical uses, I guess it can get us out of some situations and give us the time to pull a bomb or two and throw it downwards... It seems similar to the Melee 1.0 glitch, oddly enough. It just doesn't send Link nearly as high.

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
Well I looked up at the OP and didn't find anything on Dair boomerang lag cancel.

I was playing FG this morning and something odd happened. I was playing a Link player and he threw out the boomerang then did a Dair. Right as he landed, the boomerang reached him and the Dair end lag got cancelled. I thought it was a glitch so I tried it out myself on training and it works. I can jab/dodge roll/tilt as soon as I catch it. Has this been found before?

P.S. positing this on the meta thread as well see if anyone knows about it there.

FSK

Smash Ace
Well I looked up at the OP and didn't find anything on Dair boomerang lag cancel.

I was playing FG this morning and something odd happened. I was playing a Link player and he threw out the boomerang then did a Dair. Right as he landed, the boomerang reached him and the Dair end lag got cancelled. I thought it was a glitch so I tried it out myself on training and it works. I can jab/dodge roll/tilt as soon as I catch it. Has this been found before?

P.S. positing this on the meta thread as well see if anyone knows about it there.
Yeah, this has been known about. It initially seems cool, but setting this up in a match can be tricky. I guess it's not in here cause it's very situational and usefulness has not been demonstrated yet.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

Yeah this tech along with quite a few others didn't make the cut when I updated the AT thread from it's Brawl origins. It was part of my quality over quantity approach. The same went for the Toon AT thread of course, only in more recent times the Toon AT thread actually had the broader version of this tech re-added once it became clear that Toon got enough of a benefit out of it. However, when considering whether the same benefit applied to Link, it wasn't obviously the case. Link's (relevant) aerials have significantly less landing lag, his dash/run isn't as fast, he isn't as good in cqc, and he has no custom boomerang alternatives that make the tech any better. You're free to look into it though. The tech can be found in the Toon AT thread under the name 'catch lag replacement'.

FSK

Smash Ace
Explain please.
It's just the dthrow bombslide. In the 3rd clip I'm using meteor bombs. Foxy will talk about the input when we've discussed it, and are sure we have the correct input.

Megaman also has this slide with the same input. Get on our level megaman mains :@

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
It's just the dthrow bombslide. In the 3rd clip I'm using meteor bombs. Foxy will talk about the input when we've discussed it, and are sure we have the correct input.

Megaman also has this slide with the same input. Get on our level megaman mains :@
Oh. Thought you were using regular bombs.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
FSK and I just had yet another breakthrough in our understanding of how bombslides work. And the implications of this are kind of a big deal.
Yes, the fabled bombslide down throw is a thing, but there's more.

This discovery completely changes our idea of how bombslides work. Previously we just had it down to being a matter of cancelling the dash throw with a second throw in some direction, but on that picture the thing that activated the bombslide was the timing of the second throw. This is incorrect.

The thing that activates bombslides is the upwards input, and this can be done as a completely separate action on a completely different frame to the second throw input.

Let me give you an example.
Pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do the dash throw, on the first or second frames of the dash throw hit special and backwards (i.e. the A + B input method), nothing will happen, feel free to let go of everything (it won't affect the result), Link will continue to do the dash throw, then on the fifth frame of the dash throw animation input upwards on the joystick. What do you think will happen? Our old understanding would tell us that nothing will happen, Link will just continue to do a dash throw; but this is not the case. In fact, Link will do a bombslide back throw fake out.

The Upwards input is what activates the bombslide, it cancels the dash throw if there has been another item based move input either on the same frame as the upwards input or on any previous frame.

[It absolutely must be an upwards input and not a jump input from tap-jump, so once again, if you want to bombslide, turn that tap-jump off unless you plan to only use the C-stick method.]
[I'll have to go and re-write much of the bombslide write-up in the OP at some point now.]

Implications:
Bombslide down throw is possible, and the bombslide backwards and forward throws can be easier to perform by trading the insane precision normally required from the joystick input with greater precision required for button inputs.

How to do a bombslide down throw.
Well it's really difficult so you won't be seeing this in real time in any real matches any time soon unless you have the quickest joystick thumb, so you know, too bad for all the meteor bomb lovers out there I guess. Note that we will be using the A + B method as that is the only joystick related method in which you can input the second throw on the first frame of the dash throw without it screwing up.
Essentially you pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do the dash throw, then on the very next frame i.e. frame 1 of the dash throw - hit down special, then on the very next frame i.e. frame 2 of the dash throw (because of course the dash throw has not been cancelled yet) - hit Up on the joystick. The result is the fabled non-fake out Bombslide Down-throw that has been mechanically possible this whole time, just to our previous knowledge impossible to perform.

The same idea can be used to make the (non-fake out) bombslide back throw and bombslide forward throws easier too.
Pull bomb, run, hit and hold attack to dash throw, on the first frame of the dash throw input backwards or forwards and special depending on which direction you want to throw the bomb, then on the second frame of the dash throw hit the joystick Upwards (no joystick precision required; just do a very quick rolling quarter circle motion).
The only reason it was previously necessary to have that joystick precision just below the diagonal indent was because of the fact that previously we only really knew about the grab + attack input method which didn't allow for the second throw input to be made on the first frame of the dash throw animation; and because the upwards joystick input has to be done on the second frame at the latest, this meant that the joystick had to do two things at once on the same (2nd) frame; it had to be held either backwards or forwards to direct the second throw and at the same time it also had to be held upwards to activate the bombslide. But with the extra frame granted by using the A + B method, there is no longer this requirement for the joystick to be in two places at once. All that is required of you is that you do the second throw input one frame after the first throw input and the joystick requirements become much easier.

Incidentally, the item discard bombslide can be done with this whole idea in mind too without the need for the A-stick (just return the joystick to neutral while inputting the item discard and then on a later frame input upwards). Unfortunately it still requires the hold grab then hit attack input method.
Just for the record, FSK and I looked into it, and while it is possible to do non-fake out item discard slides while holding e.g. beam swords, it is impossible to do them while holding an item such as a bomb. That's just the way the game is programmed. If you do the exact same input that allowed you to do a non-fake out item discard slide while holding a beamsword only you try it while holding e.g. a bomb, you'll just get a Bombslide Forward-throw.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
FSK and I just had yet another breakthrough in our understanding of how bombslides work. And the implications of this are kind of a big deal.

This discovery completely changes our idea of how bombslides work. Previously we just had it down to being a matter of cancelling the dash throw with a second throw in some direction, but on that picture the thing that activated the bombslide was the timing of the second throw. This is incorrect.

The thing that activates bombslides is the upwards input, and this can be done as a completely separate action on a completely different frame to the second throw input.

Pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do the dash throw, on the first or second frames of the dash throw hit special and backwards (i.e. the A + B input method), nothing will happen, feel free to let go of everything (it won't affect the result), Link will continue to do the dash throw, then on the fifth frame of the dash throw animation input upwards on the joystick. What do you think will happen? Our old understanding would tell us that nothing will happen, Link will just continue to do a dash throw; but this is not the case. In fact, Link will do a bombslide back throw fake out.

The Upwards input is what activates the bombslide, it cancels the dash throw if there has been another item based move input either on the same frame as the upwards input or on any previous frame.

[It absolutely must be an upwards input and not a jump input from tap-jump, so once again, if you want to bombslide, turn that tap-jump off unless you plan to only use the C-stick method.]
[I'll have to go and re-write much of the bombslide write-up in the OP at some point now.]

Implications:
Bombslide down throw is possible, and the bombslide backwards and forward throws can be easier to perform by trading the insane precision normally required from the joystick input with greater precision required for button inputs.

Well it's really difficult so you won't be seeing this in real time in any real matches any time soon unless you have the quickest joystick thumb, so you know, too bad for all the meteor bomb lovers out there I guess. Note that we will be using the A + B method as that is the only joystick related method in which you can input the second throw on the first frame of the dash throw without it screwing up.
Essentially you pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do the dash throw, then on the very next frame i.e. frame 1 of the dash throw - hit down special, then on the very next frame i.e. frame 2 of the dash throw (because of course the dash throw has not been cancelled yet) - hit Up on the joystick. The result is the fabled non-fake out Bombslide Down-throw that has been mechanically possible this whole time, just to our previous knowledge impossible to perform.

The same idea can be used to make the (non-fake out) bombslide back throw and bombslide forward throws easier too.
Pull bomb, run, hit and hold attack to dash throw, on the first frame of the dash throw input backwards or forwards and special depending on which direction you want to throw the bomb, then on the second frame of the dash throw hit the joystick Upwards (no joystick precision required).
The only reason it was previously necessary to have that joystick precision just below the diagonal indent was because of the fact that previously we only really knew about the grab + attack input method which didn't allow for the second throw input to be made on the first frame of the dash throw animation; and because the upwards joystick input had to be done on the second frame, this meant that it had to do two things at once; it had to be held either backwards or forwards to direct the second throw and at the same time it also had to be held upwards to activate the bombslide. But with the extra frame granted by using the A + B method, there is no longer this requirement for the joystick to be in two places at once. All that is required of you is that you do the second throw input one frame after the first throw input and the joystick requirements become much easier.

Incidentally, the item discard bombslide can be done with this whole idea in mind too without the need for the A-stick (just return the joystick to neutral while inputting the item discard and then on a later frame input upwards). Unfortunately it still requires the hold grab then hit attack input method.
Just for the record, FSK and I looked into, and while it is possible to do non-fake out item discard slides while holding e.g. beam swords, it is impossible to do them while holding an item such as a bomb. That's just the way the game is programmed. If you do the exact same input that allowed you to do a non-fake out item discard slide while holding a beamsword only you try it while holding e.g. a bomb, you'll just get a Bombslide Forward-throw.
I have been trying to get down bomb sliding, but I am having trouble with the command inputs. what do you set your controller to and how fast do you need to be with the input?

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00

Implications:

Pull bomb, run, hit and hold attack to dash throw, on the first frame of the dash throw input backwards or forwards and special depending on which direction you want to throw the bomb, then on the second frame of the dash throw hit the joystick Upwards (no joystick precision required; just do a very quick rolling quarter circle motion).
The only reason it was previously necessary to have that joystick precision just below the diagonal indent was because of the fact that previously we only really knew about the grab + attack input method which didn't allow for the second throw input to be made on the first frame of the dash throw animation; and because the upwards joystick input has to be done on the second frame at the latest, this meant that the joystick had to do two things at once on the same (2nd) frame; it had to be held either backwards or forwards to direct the second throw and at the same time it also had to be held upwards to activate the bombslide. But with the extra frame granted by using the A + B method, there is no longer this requirement for the joystick to be in two places at once. All that is required of you is that you do the second throw input one frame after the first throw input and the joystick requirements become much easier.

Just for the record, FSK and I looked into it, and while it is possible to do non-fake out item discard slides while holding e.g. beam swords, it is impossible to do them while holding an item such as a bomb. That's just the way the game is programmed. If you do the exact same input that allowed you to do a non-fake out item discard slide while holding a beamsword only you try it while holding e.g. a bomb, you'll just get a Bombslide Forward-throw.
Great finding man. So basically for doing the reverse bombslide we can now simply imput a super fast three quarter circle after the Dash throw imput while pressing special right? It's so nice to have again a practical way to use the amazing retreating tool that the reverse bombslide is.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So FSK has been checking out the potential of this new bombslide method and he went and discovered two more bombslides.

Ask anyone who's on top of Link's tech what's the big down-side to the Bombslide Back-throw, and they will invariably tell you that they'd often prefer to simply dash away and do a Soft Throw bomb instead due to the utility that comes with soft throwing.
Well what if I told you that you can have both?

Behold the Bombslide Soft Throw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTDsaT6KeOQ
Pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do a dash throw, on the next frame i.e. frame 1 of the dash throw - lightly tilt backwards on the joystick and hit special, then on frame 2 of the dash throw hit upwards on the joystick. The result will be Link doing the Bombslide Back Throw only the bomb will land safely on the ground without exploding.

The other bombslide is similar in that it is another tilt throw variation. The Bombslide Tilt Up-throw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-irPRaMpg
Pull Bomb, run, hit and hold attack button, on the first frame of the dash throw lightly tilt the joystick upwards [edit: you need to lightly tilt the joystick diagonally backwards and upwards] and hit special, then on frame two of the dash throw hit the joystick all the way upwards. The result is a Bombslide Up-throw that isn't smash thrown.

Ok we're pretty sure that's all.
For now.

I'll get to doing the massive update and overhaul of the bombsliding write-up soonish.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
All this makes me feel funny in my pants.

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the diligence in continuing to grow tech.

The other bombslide is similar in that it is another tilt throw variation. The Bombslide Tilt Up-throw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-irPRaMpg
Pull Bomb, run, hit and hold attack button, on the first frame of the dash throw lightly tilt the joystick upwards and hit special, then on frame two of the dash throw hit the joystick all the way upwards. The result is a Bombslide Up-throw that isn't smash thrown.

For now.

I'll get to doing the massive update and overhaul of the bombsliding write-up soonish.
To do an uprthrow with this version do you press up twice or just hold up?(the smash variant, not tilt)

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
To do an up-throw with this version do you press up twice or just hold up?(the smash variant, not tilt)
I was going to have this figured out by the time I wrote it up in the OP, but I'm currently not sure. We were pretty sure it was more of a single joystick movement, but again I'm not 100% certain yet. This is the only thing that I'm not completely certain about. I was able to construct experiments to confirm everything else.
Anyway I could have a closer look at it now, seeing as I'll have to do it eventually anyway.

Well this is weird.
I'm not sure why, but it appears as though the correct inputs are to lightly tilt diagonally upwards and backwards and hit special on the first frame, then on the second frame move the joystick all the way upwards. Whenever I try tilting it just upwards on the first frame I end up with either a forward throw fake out, a forward throw, or an up throw, but no tilt up-throw; yet when I tilt it diagonally up and back, there it is, pretty much every time, the tilt up-throw. The weird thing is that it doesn't work for titling diagonally forwards and upwards. It has to be backwards and upwards. That's the only way I've been able to do it.

I... don't know why this is the case. Anyway if I end up finding anything that doesn't support this by the time I write everything in the OP, I'll make a post about it.

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,
does anyone know what the allowed frame input is on turn around special and reversal special? I'm just curious for what the frame data on wavebouncing looks like, especially for Link's side special. Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else!

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
So FSK has been checking out the potential of this new bombslide method and he went and discovered two more bombslides.

Ask anyone who's on top of Link's tech what's the big down-side to the Bombslide Back-throw, and they will invariably tell you that they'd often prefer to simply dash away and do a Soft Throw bomb instead due to the utility that comes with soft throwing.
Well what if I told you that you can have both?

Behold the Bombslide Soft Throw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTDsaT6KeOQ
Pull a bomb, run forwards, hit and hold attack to do a dash throw, on the next frame i.e. frame 1 of the dash throw - lightly tilt backwards on the joystick and hit special, then on frame 2 of the dash throw hit upwards on the joystick. The result will be Link doing the Bombslide Back Throw only the bomb will land safely on the ground without exploding.

Pull Bomb, run, hit and hold attack button, on the first frame of the dash throw lightly tilt the joystick upwards [edit: you need to lightly tilt the joystick diagonally backwards and upwards] and hit special, then on frame two of the dash throw hit the joystick all the way upwards. The result is a Bombslide Up-throw that isn't smash thrown.

For now.

Looks like it's time to go lab this. LOL

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey guys,
does anyone know what the allowed frame input is on turn around special and reversal special? I'm just curious for what the frame data on wavebouncing looks like, especially for Link's side special. Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else!
An interesting question.

Using the arrows,

Turn around special:
There are two ways to do this. With the first way, lightly tilting backwards then hitting special, they can of course be done on the same frame, so there's no frame window requirement. With the second way, hitting backwards, returning the joystick to neutral then hitting special, You need to hit the special button within 7 frames of the input for backwards (by which stage the joystick has to be in neutral, so it's not necessarily as easy as it sounds).

B-reversal:
Having had the joystick in neutral or lightly tilted when you pressed special, you need to then hit backwards on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd frame of the arrow animation.
(The same 3 frame requirement goes for the boomerang as well.)

and of course wavebouncing is just a combination of the two.

I'll add the info to the OP.

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
I'm also wondering if anyone knows what the frame data is on the Instant Z-drop, i.e. exactly what frames in the jump animation can you press z to trigger the instant drop. I really wish I had the setup ability to do frame data analysis so I could just answer these myself!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm also wondering if anyone knows what the frame data is on the Instant Z-drop, i.e. exactly what frames in the jump animation can you press z to trigger the instant drop. I really wish I had the setup ability to do frame data analysis so I could just answer these myself!
Link's jump-squat is 7 frames, and you need to drop the bomb the very moment Link is transitioning from the jump-squat to the air, so this leaves you a 1 frame window. You must input grab on frame 7. Frame 6 will give you a JC throw, frame 8 will give you a Zair + Z-drop.

Grumble grumble OP updated XD.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
This may already be described above, but I'm having trouble identifying what exactly I'm doing. When practicing my pivot grab, I've noticed that sometimes I dash one way, and then when grabbing almost seem to dash back and grab, thus increasing the grab range. Thanks!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This may already be described above, but I'm having trouble identifying what exactly I'm doing. When practicing my pivot grab, I've noticed that sometimes I dash one way, and then when grabbing almost seem to dash back and grab, thus increasing the grab range. Thanks!
I'm also having trouble identifying exactly what you're doing XD. I don't suppose you're just interrupting the initial dash with a dash back in the other direction (i.e. a 'dash dance') and then grabbing, are you? I'm guessing it's just that.

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I was labbing forward bombslide and I think I have a 3rd way to do it (which is incidentally easier for me). When performing your dash throw, angle the joystick slightly below the middle indent, then when hitting b slide it into the indent and you will perform a forward bomb slide. For me this is easier because instead of having 1-2 frames to time the slight above indent, you get as long as you want while running to get it right below the indent then you can easily slide it in during the input :)

D

Deleted member

So when it comes to bombsliding I quickly found out that I could just sprint and then direct the L-analog to top diagonal so that I get a slowrun. Then all I have to do is hit throw and then grab. I always go the same distance doing this... unless it's a grassy stage that is.
But from what I've read in this thread there is a lot more to bombsliding that I can't accomplice through this method. So what I would like to know is if I should learn a new way to preform this so that I could do the other variations of it. Or should I just stick with my own version and be happy with the up and forward throw versions?

Also, I'm guessing it's known by now but. You if you manage to land during what I assume to be the start up frames of certain down aerials you will not gain any landing lag. And if you hold the analog stick left or right you will automatically start dashing in that direction just as you land.

I can't see any real use for it for anyone else then Rosalina who can attack with Luma and dash at the same time if this is done perfectly. Though doing it with her is really hard so it's probably not worth going for. But link seams to be one of the lucky few who can pull this of no sweat. It's really easy to do with him and I would just really like for there to be any reason for him to go for it. Any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Why are Toon Links so good at IZACs and aren't we
It has the same level of difficulty for both characters, and both character's mains have access to the same information regarding it (in fact this thread is slightly more up to date). The Toons have just been doing it since brawl. As a character board, the brawl Toon's were much more focused on tech since the early days, and I may have had some small part to play in that.
It's just muscle memory; frame perfect muscle memory. If you want to be able to do it like them you simply need to put the time in. You can play around with different control scheme lay-outs to make it easier http://smashboards.com/threads/button-schemes-how-do-you-button-mash.398973/#post-18989197, but in the end it will all come down to muscle memory.

Sev3n

Smash Cadet
Is it known that you can Z-Drop bombs on platforms when dropping through them without Z-Air coming out? I just found out that you could do it because i did it accidentally in a friendly last night. I read through the OP and didn't see anything on it...

It works the same way as the "Instant Z-Drop" from jumping. You hit down to start your drop-through animation, then in the first frame that you are considered airborne, hit Z. One frame too late and you get a Z-Air. Early is hard to do because it all happens in the span of what I believe is 3 frames, but you'll either get a down throw and blow yourself up (because you hit Z too early and you didn't go to neutral on your control stick) or you'll do a regular throw (which means you hit down on frame 1, then neutral Z on frame 2). I tested it on Smashville and Battlefield, so I assume it works on all platforms.

After leaving it on the platform, you can immediately double jump and aerial to pick it up again. Closest thing to doing an aerial with a bomb in hand

EDIT - NVM, didn't read hard enough. It's in C4

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Is it known that you can Z-Drop bombs on platforms when dropping through them without Z-Air coming out? I just found out that you could do it because i did it accidentally in a friendly last night. I read through the OP and didn't see anything on it...

It works the same way as the "Instant Z-Drop" from jumping. You hit down to start your drop-through animation, then in the first frame that you are considered airborne, hit Z. One frame too late and you get a Z-Air. Early is hard to do because it all happens in the span of what I believe is 3 frames, but you'll either get a down throw and blow yourself up (because you hit Z too early and you didn't go to neutral on your control stick) or you'll do a regular throw (which means you hit down on frame 1, then neutral Z on frame 2). I tested it on Smashville and Battlefield, so I assume it works on all platforms.

After leaving it on the platform, you can immediately double jump and aerial to pick it up again. Closest thing to doing an aerial with a bomb in hand

EDIT - NVM, didn't read hard enough. It's in C4
It's more specifically at the end of the note for 'z-drop'.

D

Deleted member

So after playing around a bit I realized that I could use the thing where you land during the early frames of certain aerials and use this to pick up an item on ground and being able to act instantly afterwards. Not sure if this is known though :/
Why am I posting this in a Link thread? Because Link has one of the easiest version of this where you don't have to be that close to ground before inputing either up-air or d-air.

Uses: You can grab on one of your bombs and instantly afterwards, Dash by holding the stick either Left or Right (No need to flick it), Shield or even throw the bomb right away. But mostly I can see it being used against DD as this means you can snag his banana of the ground and either get away or punish him if he tries to approach you.
Thoughts?

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
I found something odd the other day having to do with soft throwing. I was playing on my new white controller (the ones made for smash 4) and found that simply pressing A while holding a bomb automatically executed a soft throw. I was very surprised because I hadn't remembered that being an option, and indeed when I hooked up a different controller under the exact same controls set up pressing A did not soft throw. So there is some difference in the new controllers where you can now walk and soft throw with A or standing soft throw with A. I suppose it's possible that it's just my controller but that seems unlikely

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
For some reason I find this very unlikely based on what we know about what causes a soft throw. Can you provide footage of this happening?

Top Bottom