• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Competitive Stage Builder Thread

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I've seen some discussion about this, but not a dedicated thread. As the title implies, this is for discussing the potential of competitive stages created using Stage Builder.

Looking at the speculative competitive stage lists going around, people are putting Kongo Jungle, Delfino, and Pokemon Stadium 2 as legal. If we're really that desperate for good tournament viable stages, why not take advantage of the amazing Stage Builder this game offers?

With the depth and precision this new Stage Builder brings us (outshining Brawl's by miles), including the ability to share and play the stages online, I think we should really consider having some really well-made neutral and counter-pick stages to be used for tournament play. The Halo series is a good example of user created maps being used competitively, with some Forge maps being MLG approved. I believe this is our chance to have a really flushed out and enjoyable stage list with the least amount of jank as possible. Maybe backroom approved?

I understand what problems this may bring, such as the inconvenience of every WiiU at a tournament needing certain stages downloaded, but I think it's at least worth a shot.

So, has anybody experimented and made any cool competitive stages? So far I made a small FD but with vertical moving platforms above the ledges. I've been playing on it with some friends online and they seem to enjoy it fairly well.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I have remade WarioWare Inc. and Dreamland!

The only issue I see is that it's not currently possible to share stages, is it? I know we can play them with friends online but I didn't think there was actually a community to download them. I guess if the blueprints are made you can recreate them identically!!

Last edited:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I have remade WarioWare Inc. and Dreamland!

The only issue I see is that it's not currently possible to share stages, is it? I know we can play them with friends online but I didn't think there was actually a community to download them. I guess if the blueprints are made you can recreate them identically!!
Although not implemented yet, it's confirmed that you will be able share with friends and publicly upload your stages soon, so downloading them shouldn't be too much of a problem.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I'd like it if smashboards collaborated on making a stage we either all agree with or heavily agree with

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Anyone know how to make the platforms that you can pass through?
You just draw a straight line and then tap the line!

I just made a Yoshi's Story Melee remake and a Yoshi's Story 64. Here is a picture of my 64 remake:

edit: Uploaded a new image to reflect a few changes I made.

Attachments

Last edited:

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Quick question, can you modify the blast zones in this one?
No you can't, but you can do things like build the stage high enough that the ceiling is really low. And if you choose a small stage and make it normal-big in size, the blast zones are fairly small, while if you pick the largest stage size but only make the stage small-average size the blast zones will be really far.

Last edited:

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
It would definitely be a useful feature, especially since only a few "normal" stages in Smash 4 will be competitively viable in the eyes of many.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
It would definitely be a useful feature, especially since only a few "normal" stages in Smash 4 will be competitively viable in the eyes of many.
I don't think so. There are like 11 stages that are fine in the wii u version imo

ecaflip

Smash Cadet
I think it would be a nice addition. But who would be responsible for implementing such a system? I'd be all for it if someone with authority stepped up and organized it.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You just draw a straight line and then tap the line!

I just made a Yoshi's Story Melee remake and a Yoshi's Story 64. Here is a picture of my 64 remake:

edit: Uploaded a new image to reflect a few changes I made.
I haven't bought the Wii U version yet but just by looking at this picture I can tell the new Stage Builder going to be ****ing legit.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
if we get custom stages on competitive settings, please, let's just use re-created versions of past stages, both legal ones and now-legal one s(like, say Wario Ware)

we could even have modified versions of smash 4 stages, like... Jungle Hijinx's foreground.

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, that would be amazing, if for whatever reason a lot stages get banned.
and to have Xenoblade music because Gaur Plains isn't well recieved

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Sorry, I don't have the Wii U version, but I have a few questions.

1. Can stages be made larger than they were in Brawl now?
2. Has the limit on the amount of things that can be placed been raised significantly? That really bugged me in Brawl.

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
Remakes of stages with too much hazard to be legal is the best way to go
I think this is the best way to start. Recreating stages cut from past games would also be a great idea. As the community evolves we can create some new stages of our own. But then the question becomes, which do we remake?

I've went through every game, and Project M, to see many of the options we have. I've found that the best candidates are....
From 64
  • Dream Land
  • Peach's Castle (Maybe)
  • Meta Crystal (Maybe)
From Melee
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Jungle Japes? Could be interesting with no water.
  • Brinstar? Could also be interesting with no acid.
  • Pokemon Stadium
From Brawl
  • Yoshi's Island (with a stationary platform)
  • Wario Ware (with no minigames)
  • Pirate Ship? Without the water and stage hazards, this has a slight chance of working. Couldn't hurt to try.
  • Norfair? With no lava, and the ledge mechanics changed, this also has a slight chance of working.
  • Frigate Orpheon? With no flipping, either of the set ups for this stage could work.
  • Top Half of Spear Pillar
  • Skyworld with some platforms pass though
  • Distant Planet without the slope and Bulborb
  • Castle Siege (starting layout)
From Project M
  • Distant Planet
  • Rumble Falls
  • Norfair
From 3ds
  • Unova Pokemon League (no bridge)
  • Arena Ferox (Statue and Fort layouts)
  • Reset Bomb Fortress (maybe)
Changed Wii U Stages
  • Mushroom Kingdom U (starting layout)
  • Jungle Hijinxs (foreground)
  • Pyrosphere
  • Kalos Pokemon League (starting and Dragonmark chambers)
Now, this is a very comprehensive list. Many of these won't work. I also know that some of these will probably be exactly the same as each other. But I figured it would be better to suggest them and try them out. If they don't work, no harm done. If they do, than we've got ourselves a new competitive stage! What do you think of recreating these?

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
List of stages
I have recreated some of those myself. Dreamland, WarioWare Inc., Yoshi's Story 64, and Yoshi's Story Melee.

Your post gave me some great ideas, though, and I will definitely make a majority of those!

edit: Here is my attempt at Jungle Japes.

edit2: Made top platform a tiny bit bigger.

Attachments

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ok Screw it, someone make a legal version of Onnet, please.

people have wanted that for like a decade now

This looks like a noble endeavor. Does anyone know of any resources for detailed images of the stages? I'm having trouble finding uniform pictures to start recreating my faves.

Also, if anyone has any requests I'd love to take them.

Edit 1: Here's my (ROUGH) attempt at Onett

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
Mushroom Kingdom U (starting layout) and Pokemon Stadium (Melee).
Those look great! I've gotten to work myself. I created Pyrosphere, which took a while to get the stage size and platform spacing right, but I think I got it. Also, in my atempts at making the thing, I decided to keep a version that was too small with a few other mishaps. I call it Mini Pyrosphere!

Edit: Just putting these in image form instead of the link.
Pyrosphere

Mini Pyrosphere

Last edited:
I really like this Onett. I may have to use this picture as a blueprint since we can't share stages yet unfortunately. :(
Thanks, mate. I may need to move the whole thing down. As it stands, the first 'canopy' is at FD level, so it's really easy to gimp off the top. But I definitely enjoy it so far.

I'm also wondering if small is the best choice for stage size? Thoughts?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Great, I was hoping this would become a thing!

I'm going to try to recreate some things

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I'm also wondering if small is the best choice for stage size? Thoughts?
I've been going either small or medium. I went medium for Pokemon Melee because it's a slightly bigger stage. A few of the mediums I made I may make small, though, after I've tested them out more.

Edit: Here is my attempt at Onett. It is a small stage, the size of (small?) FD, but it's lowered 4 blocks to make the ceiling higher.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Just made an attempt at Rumble Falls from PM.
Very nice. Though I always had a gripe about the top two platforms not being a consistent shape, lol.

I'll have to upload some of mine later. I've been holding off on even touching the game very much until I get an adapter though.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Here's my Saffron city (N64)

The spaces in-between buildings look different, but they function the same if you transfer the mechanics into Smash 4. The blastbox to the left isn't as bad as it looks - to get the right angle I had to angle the picture which makes it look too large. It's actually just right =].

The only other thing is obviously I can't get the platforms fully right, but I made sure they function the same as in Smash 64 with getting on/off them and height of them.

Attachments

Last edited:
I've been going either small or medium. I went medium for Pokemon Melee because it's a slightly bigger stage. A few of the mediums I made I may make small, though, after I've tested them out more.

Edit: Here is my attempt at Onett. It is a small stage, the size of (small?) FD, but it's lowered 4 blocks to make the ceiling higher.
This is really nice, and far more accurate than mine. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so I threw out a few platforms. Good job!

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I also made hyrule castle

edit: Accepting criticisms on either stage

Attachments

Last edited:

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
This is great that everyone is remaking these stages! I especially like @ erico9001 erico9001 's stages! Amazing attention to detail! I can't seem to get as precise as you can. My platforms always turn out the smallest bit diagonal, and not the perfect size. Any tips? Or is it just trial and error?

Oh, and I'll be attempting to remake Pirate Ship tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I also made hyrule castle
I don't have any criticisms! I like your remakes a lot and will certainly be looking at them when I add them to my game myself. I want as many stages as possible to play on.

I just remade the PM version of Skyworld. This one had to be on a medium-sized stage for the proper blastzones.

Attachments

ZelDan

Smash Master
you could also remake 3DS stages that were competitvely viable such as the Tomodachi stage for the Wii U version (don't know what other ones were considered viable outside of that and FD and BF, if any).

Top Bottom