• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I'll be waiting for that next update.
I can't wait T!mmy!!

Seems like you're gonna be pretty busy though. New Kirby Combo video, Updating the Thread, some December tournies.

I hope you can get those up soon. I'll be waiting, watching, stalking, and glaring.

*hides in a cardboard box*

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
What the? DK is medium?
His Bair is like, bigger than 2 Kirbys xP

Then again, there's hardly any DK players, and I'm pretty sure none of them (like myself) have faced an experienced Kirby and vice versa for the Kirby players (I assume).

If any of you Kirbys are coming to Pound, we should definately have some friendlies :)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well, Kirby is mostly unaffected by DK's most prominent combo, Cargo Uthrow->Uair because of light weight/good DI. Granted, you have a FASTER Bair, but I believe Kirby has a higher priority Bair. Not like it really matters though, YOU still have the advantage you know.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DK can still land the cargo up throw to Uair, especially if he turns the other way before throwing Kirby up to ruin the DK (actually, he doesn't need to do that).
If Fox can up throw uair a character, so can DK. Their throw combos are similiar. However, DK can land the cargo up throw to uair on Mario/Doc and Luigi unlike Fox.

But always thought DK's Back Air has more priority for sure. Even if it doesn't, it has teh range.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I've not faced a GOOD DK, but what I have faced shows me he could be hard if the player knows how to play him. He's big, but not as laggy as bowser. Easy to gimp, though.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Can he land it even if the Kirby dual stick DI's?
>_>
Wait, that doesn't matter because Kirby can CC under DK's grab anyways XD
Just hooked up my GameCube and started up ssbm. I told my brother to pick DK and I choose Kirby. We started a match, I crouched and he grabbed me :ohwell:
When DK grabs, his arms swing downwards rather than upwards or simply outwards like most characters.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Just hooked up my GameCube and started up ssbm. I told my brother to pick DK and I choose Kirby. We started a match, I crouched and he grabbed me :ohwell:
When DK grabs, his arms swing downwards rather than upwards or simply outwards like most characters.
I guess my DK just sucks then :( I have a tendency to miss my JC'd grabs with him, so thats probably why I always miss my grabs against Kirby. Oh well, I'll just have to rely on Dual Stick and pie

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby cannot crouch under DK's grab, and this is perhaps the most influential part of the match up since it eliminates one of Kirby's best defenses (which is also why Fox ***** Kirby so much).

Also, DK's U-throw to U-air combo may not be able to juggle Kirby like it does fast-fallers, but it can still combo. And, unlike fast-fallers, Kirby can get KO'd by this off the top of the stage relatively easily especially on stages with short ceilings.

DK out ranges, out powers, out weighs, and out combos Kirby. Don't think that just because it's a "Medium" matchup that it means that it's nearly even. You'll note that DK is quite close to the "Hard" category in his placement. If DK had a projectile - any projectile, not even a good one - he would be much, much harder to fight against.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
*Saves guide to computer* Awesome guide, T!mmy.

We seem to have a lot of DKs here (Stage Discussion, current discussion). Good thing my friend conveniently plays (a horrible) DK.

If my friend was playing even an average DK, I agree with T!mmy saying that DK>Kirby. Approaching seems like a pain. It gets annoying when he has a Giant Punch charged up.

yuki

Smash Apprentice
DK matchup is of course a pain but it's nice that he has such a huge...Mass so you can hit him very easily making him a good target for uair and such... Spiking is fun^^

I'd like to have some feedback on this tactic I learned from cereal rabbit's videos. How useful is the shorthop to arial forward B(hammer)? And when should you use it?

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
DK matchup is of course a pain but it's nice that he has such a huge...Mass so you can hit him very easily making him a good target for uair and such... Spiking is fun^^

I'd like to have some feedback on this tactic I learned from cereal rabbit's videos. How useful is the shorthop to arial forward B(hammer)? And when should you use it?
I've found out that the hammer is REALLY effective against opponents on platforms. (And you're aerial hammering under them, that is)

I've only recently started doing more hammer under platforms, and it's really helpful. I still have to try that aerial under platforms more.

Hammer Aerial to Up-Tilt fails on CCers.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was at that one NorCal Biweekly (the NUB). I don't go to NorCal very often. And you should have come because I said I was going to be there. V_V

I didn't expect Rainbow Cruise to work so well as a counterpick against Mexican. Everyone I play against knows all the Kirby tricks so I figured I was just going to get hit off the short boundaries and die, but I got lots of Rainbowcides on him. Ha ha ha. If I had got the last one at 2:24, I woulda won, too. ;)

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I've found out that the hammer is REALLY effective against opponents on platforms. (And you're aerial hammering under them, that is)

I've only recently started doing more hammer under platforms, and it's really helpful. I still have to try that aerial under platforms more.

Hammer Aerial to Up-Tilt fails on CCers.
I guess I should try that. Why not a U-air under the platforms? Are you trying to build damage? How is it more helpful/effective?

As for those videos Pink Reaper found...all I can say is, "wow..."

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I guess I should try that. Why not a U-air under the platforms? Are you trying to build damage? How is it more helpful/effective?

As for those videos Pink Reaper found...all I can say is, "wow..."
It's something called predicting an attack. If you keep using U-air, your opponents WILL know that you're going to use the U-air under the platform. But again, I haven't tried that tactic enough. *needs to play better players xD* It's neither more effective or helpful, but equal (And I'm probably thinking, wtfudge am I saying). But there are a limitless about of useful platform techniques. I might even go final cutter.... Usually Dairs also. You won't "land" on the platform or will you get punished for using it. If you fast fall you might be able to do that again. But it's just been lightly tested from me. I've only started to practice game play "under the platform" because being around platforms, and Kirby's some what good aerial might be a good position for him.

For the second statement, yeah, Timmy is amazing. :)

t!mMy said:
I was at that one NorCal Biweekly (the NUB). I don't go to NorCal very often. And you should have come because I said I was going to be there. V_V
I can't really check the tournament discussions, there so much spam in there. From what I heard, there might still be more NorCal tournies or otherwise might not. *Slaps self for only recently coming back to competetive smash*

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I almost always u-air when under a platform. Aerial hammer just has too much lag afterwards to make it very useful for the small amount of damage it does. When I do an aerial hammer under a platform it's usually timing/spacing dependant because the Aerial Hammer covers more aera and distance than the u-air.

You can try landing on the platform after coming up through it with the Aerial Hammer and "landing-cancel" it. I've stayed away from this because everyone seems to Shield, Crouch Cancel, or scoff at the terrible hitstun and hit me while I lag.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Off topic. Ha ha.
Unfortunately I didn't enter because I wasn't feeling well. So I went and slept for 12 hours and missed everything. I got some friendlies in though.

Edit:
Oh, and I used the aerial hammer against a new player there (Marth) and caught him with it, but he just hit me right afterward. V_V

I did it again and this time managed to follow-up with a U-tilt.

So I guess if people know to just hit Kirby as fast as they can, there's not much you can do about it, and even if they don't know that there's a chance they'll hit you anyway. I never really liked the A-Hammer because of this, but I'm going to put more research into it.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
HALL of Fame

Well for those people who have wonder what D.A has been up to for all these yrs and what not everyone take a look at the link that i am about to give to you its the dawn of a new era people the return of D.A. This link sends you too our site that has our latest content called " HALL OF FAME" IT's a section on our site dedicated to all the smashers that mastered thier characters and repped thier characters to the point that all the knew who they are and called them the best or one of the best with thier character(s) so with out further or due i bring to you the hall of fame: http://smashguardians.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=28. Note that if anyone has any pictures of any of the players listed on the hall of fame just send DA and emial or emial me at: lewdawes@aol.com hope everyone enjoys peace.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Shouldn't this have been posted in a different thread? Seems broadly off-topic. ^_^;

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Excellent guide T!mmy, a lot of this really helped my game. One question though, what's a Deadly Death all about?

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Thanks for the guide! It helped a lot. Just one question. Is wavedashing useful for Kirby that much? I use it for spacing but not much else. Is there anyway I could use it better?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The Death to Marth Maneuver has been delayed five days in Japan and a month in USA. Ha ha ha. I gotta get to work on that one... after editing my matches from DAN2. But not this weekend, I'm going to another tourney.

kinghippo99, It's useful for distancing and all the other tricks you can do with it. There's not much character-specific you can do with it for Kirby.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Very good guide. I love playing kirby, these techniques help him to be more competitive even though overall as a character, hes not going to get very far in a tournament in most cases. hopefully ol' kirb gets a beef up in brawl. good job.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, I'm leaving for the Fingerbang in a few hours.

No, Kirby doesn't do well in tournies, but oh well.

The Deadly Death Maneuver will be put on video. I swear by February! (Now I gotta keep my promise!)

sparkyy

Smash Rookie
Hey there just wanted to say hey to all the kirby players in the world heh right now I am just trying to get better with the Pink Monster lol. If any has any points just send them along thanks and have a great day. heh

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I would come by more often... but the Kirby (Melee) boards are practically the same as when I was last here ... two years ago. XD

Awesome guide t!mmy

I'm gonna main Kirby and kind of Link when I get melee so I'm gonna get a head start

Top Bottom