• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

Runt

Smash Journeyman
Are u sure that kirbys F-air dosent help with his horizontal recovery cuz i recently made it under Dreamland using the f-airs (im not sure if thats impressive but anyway) and they seemed to help alot. Wen i tried it without the kicks i couldnt make it. Maybe my timing was off or something but im not sure. I'll try again to see.

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Concerning your team mate list, I believe that DK is an excellent partner of Kirby's- excellent power, range and weight. Plus, making team combos with those two is so easy.

P.S.- Omni, that's awesome- Starshot to pillar.

King Kirby 90

Smash Apprentice
A really nice guide overall. But I have to correct some things. Hope they will help you to correct your guide.

You can also use the Stone in a different way if you still have a good height in your recovery. As you line up vertically to the front of the ledge, drop straight down as a Stone and don't cancel it until you are just below the ledge. Kirby will then pop up slightly as he reverts back to his normal self and Sweet-Spot the ledge. This will make it difficult on Edge Guarders because Kirby is virtually invulnerable the whole time.
This is not right. Kirby can be grabbed out of the stone, Falcon and Ganon can up-b him out of the stone, another Kirby can swallow you etc. So he isn't really invulnerable.

Don't bother practicing on the characters that Self-Destruct on the same frame as you (e.g. Pichu, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Ness, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch)
You have 1 Frame to suicide-cancel after Game & Watch died. Also I would not write e.g. because Pichu, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Ness and the Ice Climbers are the only characters, who die on the same frame as Kirby.

These throws are very easy for your opponent to break free from at light damage, which makes this move risky. To reduce the chances of your opponent escaping before they get plunged over the side, make sure they have at least 100% damage on them before attempting this type of Kirbycide. The benefit here is Kirby dies after his victim, which can get you the win on the last Stock.
You cannot say that Kirby always dies after his victim. It depends of the weight of the character and of the height of the stage. Bowser dies before Kirby on FD, but Kirby dies before Pichu on FD. For example Doc dies on the same frame as Kirby on FD, but Kirby dies before him on Yoshi's Story.

If they do not break free by the time you drop off the bottom of the stage, you will both Self-Destruct. However, characters larger than Kirby will Self-Destruct before he does. This means that even if they're still caught in your mouth when they die, you will have a fraction of a second to jump back to the ledge. Keep in mind that when a victim Self-Destructs or breaks free of the Vacuum, Kirby is given all his jumps back and can usually make it back to practically any ledge.
I am not 100% sure here but I never made it back to the edge of FoD after suicide-cancelling someone.

Maybe you could have add the name of some advanced Kirby techniques you described (for example the Stone-sweetspot and the Super Kirby Anti-edgeguard Combo). And there are also some Kirby techs you totally left out. The tech I invented around christmas and Omnis tech he invented when he was practising for mine and even some more. Bot otherwise it is a really well-written and informative guide. :)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
wow, an AMAZING guide, better than most of the other ones on smashboards. great job

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Also, after a bit of work, I found that it is impossible for Kirby to recover from a one-framer on Final Destination. I haven't checked it for all one framers, but against Mario I could not hit the edge again.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
Yea about before... i really think the f-air helps in horizontal recovery cuz i couldnt make it under the stage again. I wasnt even close to it.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
In all seriousness, fair does not help Kirby at all. I've tested it for both the vertical and horizontal components, and it does nothing to displace Kirby. It may seem to extend distance, but as I said before, it could just be that it allows you to properly space and time your jumps.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Omnigamer said:
In all seriousness, fair does not help Kirby at all. I've tested it for both the vertical and horizontal components, and it does nothing to displace Kirby. It may seem to extend distance, but as I said before, it could just be that it allows you to properly space and time your jumps.
I rarely play Kirby and even I know it helps recovery. :embarrass

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Well, since you rarely play Kirby, I'll assume that you don't know that Omni's pretty much the Kirby guru here, so, for the most part what he says, goes. Unless Kirby of Nurgle says otherwise. That's when interesting conversation starts up.

Anyway, as Omni said earlier, it only helps out with the timing. You could time it likewise and get the same distance.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Test it out then

Training mode, FD, CPU set to someone tall and humanish like ganon or marth

start from one side, do a forward jump (no dashing)

time your air jumps whenever kirby vertical position matches cpu's head, waist, or knees or what-have-you

then try again while f-air'ing right after each air jump

then repeat with a different height to time jumps with

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks for the comments King Kirby, it's a big help when other Kirby players comment because it's hard to see all the details from all the different angles when writing an extensive guide.
King Kirby 90 said:
Kirby can be grabbed out of the stone, Falcon and Ganon can up-b him out of the stone, another Kirby can swallow you etc. So he isn't really invulnerable.
Too true. I guess I got carried away when I said "invulnerable" especially since Kirby is never technically invulnerable in Stone form, even disregarding Grabs. I'll have to put a note about that in there, so thanks for bringing this up. It also made me realize that I've never seen a Yoshi attempt to eat Kirby while he was a Stone. I tested it out just now and confirmed that he can.
King Kirby 90 said:
You have 1 Frame to suicide-cancel after Game & Watch died. Also I would not write e.g. because Pichu, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Ness and the Ice Climbers are the only characters, who die on the same frame as Kirby.
Thanks, I didn't know where to look for the frame data, so I had to go with my own memory. I will update this accordingly.[/QUOTE]
King Kirby 90 said:
You cannot say that Kirby always dies after his victim. It depends of the weight of the character and of the height of the stage. Bowser dies before Kirby on FD, but Kirby dies before Pichu on FD. For example Doc dies on the same frame as Kirby on FD, but Kirby dies before him on Yoshi's Story.
Hm, I never really tested this because this is just what I observed during my course of playing as Kirby. However, I just now did a test and found with a Back-Throw: Bowser Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Pichu Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Dr. Mario Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Dr. Mario Self-Destructs before Kirby on Yoshi's Story.

If Kirby is SDing before a character you Throw into a Kirbycide, it might have to do with them breaking free at the last second (fraction of a second, actually). To get an accurate test, just go to 1 Stock and plunge them over the side quickly. It will be obvious who SDs first when the game ends.

About the Kirbycide section in general: I plan on updating that section first. I will be doing some research and writing up everything I have found out about it, so expect to see more info soon.
King Kirby 90 said:
Maybe you could have add the name of some advanced Kirby techniques you described (for example the Stone-sweetspot and the Super Kirby Anti-edgeguard Combo). And there are also some Kirby techs you totally left out. The tech I invented around christmas and Omnis tech he invented when he was practising for mine and even some more.
This guide was created by sitting down and pulling out all the Kirby info I have in my memory banks, so I'm sure I missed quite a few things that aren't part of that section of my brain. For instance, I haven't had a chance to practice those two new Hammer techs, let alone had the time to incorporate them into my gameplay. Also, I noticed Nitro-Gamer had detailed things like that listed and I started off with the intention of my guide being a more generalized "how to" mostly focusing on the more commonly used techniques. It would be cool, however, if you (and other posters) could list exactly what is missing and I'll find a place to put them in.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Re: F-air Recovery
I'm going to make a separate post for this discussion so it won't drag this thread off on a tangent.

King Kirby 90

Smash Apprentice
t!MmY said:
Hm, I never really tested this because this is just what I observed during my course of playing as Kirby. However, I just now did a test and found with a Back-Throw: Bowser Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Pichu Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Dr. Mario Self-Destructs before Kirby on Final Destination, Dr. Mario Self-Destructs before Kirby on Yoshi's Story.

If Kirby is SDing before a character you Throw into a Kirbycide, it might have to do with them breaking free at the last second (fraction of a second, actually). To get an accurate test, just go to 1 Stock and plunge them over the side quickly. It will be obvious who SDs first when the game ends.
I was taliking about the forward throw. For the b-throw you are right. And I tested this in the same way you did^^.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I see; that's what I get for lumping back and forward throws together. Of course, I'll be looking at both of them separately with my next update.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Hmm...That Marth Death thing looks interesting...Considering my friend plays Kirby, and I play Marth...>_> <_< >_>

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
Hmm in wonder if your "Marth Death" technique is the same as KKK's "Marth Trick". I bet you anything that it is. Its a pretty sweet trick (though other characters can do it as well :( ).

Soo funny watching people get dooped by it.
"Ok time to sweet spot the edge, the Kirby isn't edge hogging".
U-b "wrrrraaaaa"
*kuchet*
"What the! My edge!"
"Hahah Marth Trick!"

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
LOL. Don't worry, I'll be putting it on video as soon as I'm able. Just be patient.

Sliq

Smash Master
I need to see this Marth technique. I am intrigued.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The Death to Captain Falcon Maneuver is way better. :)

King Kirby 90

Smash Apprentice
t!MmY said:
LOL. Don't worry, I'll be putting it on video as soon as I'm able. Just be patient.
t!MmY said:
The Death to Captain Falcon Maneuver is way better. :)
I would really like to put both of these (or even some more if you have more^^) in the Video guide Omni and me are making. So I would like you to describe the Tricks in this thread, or if you don't want to publicate it yet you can talk via AIM to me. If your tricks are new you will get credit for them in the video guide.

KirbyAllStar

Smash Rookie
That was an overall good guide for Kirby, but to call him weak and slow is ignorant and you might have played him a lot but you can't be that good if you can even think about saying that he isnt that good of a fighter.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
"Weak" and "Slow" relatively speaking. I've played all the characters enough to know their general fighting patters, characteristics, and overall attributes. Kirby is far from "fast" and "strong" with the likes of Sheik, Fox, Marth, Peach and Falco running amok in tournaments.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm kind of getting a little tired of people bashing Kirby and people who play as him. Just because Kirby is a low-tier character, doesn't mean the people who play as him are. It takes a skilled player to at least compete against other skilled players while using Kirby.

If you want to talk about how Fox or Sheik are better than him, than go do it in the Fox and Sheik forums.

Suska

Smash Apprentice
I thought this guild was very useful and helpful, even though I've been playing with kirby since the first Smash but I’ve found that my technique was pretty messed up. :embarrass I've been playing Kirby with a more distanced approach; knocking my opponents away instead of comboing my attacks. I'm going to try the techniques you’ve suggested, maybe then I would get my @$$ handed to me in tournaments. :cry:

Runt

Smash Journeyman
I think u should have put some advantages when Kirby plays Samus.Something like being able to crouch under missles, f-smash(if not aimed properly) and her dash attack. Also if kirby takes samus' power, its not that hard to hit her with the charge beam if she is using her bomb recovery.

I also think u should have made jigglypuff a harder matchup for kirby.

And uhhh... in teams, u said to give ur partner another jump when their about to die is to swallow them. I tried doing that but sometimes its not that easy to catch ur partner and save them which could lead to your partner dying and u being edgeguarded by 2 people (dat sux). Now what i normally do is use da ariel hammer just to give them their up-B back. Its has more range so i think its better and you dont lose as much height either as compared to the swallow.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Suska, Runt: Thanks for the input. When I update my guide I will also update the character match-up list.

RedDarkStarKirby: I'm not complaining nor bashing Kirby or Kirby players when I say Kirby is relatively weak and slow when compared to other characters, most notably those seen placing high in tournament winnings. Should you feel obliged to speak more on this topic, please make a separate post about it or PM me since it feels off-topic in this thread.

RDK

Smash Hero
Sorry to seem ticked, but I was actually reading your guide and found many useful tips in it. I was just commenting on the amount of people who come here that actually don't do so.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
after much recent experimenting i've discovered that bowser is better than kirby, because my bowser is better than my kirby. thats too bad guys.

no seriously, <3 t!mmy, i've been waiting for you to get on aim so i can show you my kirby vids with silv before i put them up... i shoulda kirby ditto'd you at tang 15, but everyone was angry and i was scared of angry everyone.or i didn't even think to play kirby that day, either way, we didn't do it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
KyUuKyUu:
my statement about Kirby's stock is from the vantage point of your opponent. Do you honestly think a Fox player would cheerfully sacrifice one of his stock to take out only one stock from a Kirby opponent? Nope. But on the other hand, if I'm playing Kirby, I will gladly attempt Kirbycides if given the chance against a good Fox player... or against any character, at that. It wasn't a blanket-statement, as if Kirby gets twice as much stock as everyone else or something.

Gimpy:
Your Bowser > your Kirby. My Kirby > my Bowser. (sad to say, but Bowser is one of my worst characters). Thanks for sending me those Kirby vids; you have a good Kirby. We should definately have ditto'd at TANG; I never even saw you play Kirby before! And it's not like I get the opportunity to ditto a good Kirby often... I need to find 1337 strats in that match up!

moogle

Smash Ace
This would be my first post on the Kirby board, so don't flame me if this has been said a million times. But I didn't see this in your guide, though maybe I didn't look hard enough.

This is all about Kirby's downthrow. Against floatier characters, namely Peach, Samus, and Luigi, they can neutral-air you after your dthrow before you can recover, but only at some percents. If you learn your matchups, you can learn at what percents you're able to shield their nair, and shieldgrab again. Eventually they'll learn not to nair your downthrow (cause you should only do it at the right percents), and this will open up more possibilities. And obviously, when it's dangerous to downthrow, you should upthrow, until you get a feel for your opponent. Also, look for the uptilt sometimes if you think it will connect after a downthrow.

Against heavier characters, there's no chance for them to nair out of your dthrow. So they hit the ground and have the chance to tech. If they tend not to tech, then be ready to up-tilt them when they're lying on the ground (sometimes you can string together uptilts, and/or follow with b-air/u-air). Otherwise, if they tech, be ready to tech-chase and grab again. It's really frustrating to some people if they're being tech-chased by a lowly Kirby. :)

Most of what I've said involves predicting your opponent, and also harassing people who don't have much experience fighting Kirby.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
moogle said:
...don't flame me if this has been said a million times...
I don't know about it being said a million times before, but d-throw is mentioned in the guide, as well as the other throws. All of what you said is pretty much spot-on, though. You forgot to mention that tech-chasing to a d-smash can work instead of a grab, especially if they try to dodge you.

moogle

Smash Ace
Ahh, oops. There's a grab section under Combos, Juggles, and Follow-Ups (which I didn't see until now >_>) and a grab section under In-Depth Move List. I shoulda looked harder.

Top Bottom