• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Circle pad...

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Why is the Circle Pad so ****y? It will very often do a down b when I wanted to do a side b, (as a Jiggs main this is F*ING HORRIBLE) or a neutral b when I wanted to do a down b, or a dash when I wanted to smash or vice versa. Is there any way to deal with this, or does it just suck?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't have a problem.

You must be tilting it a bit downward as you move the circle pad to the right or left. If this is true, to combat it, you could get into the habit of moving it a bit more upwards and see if that helps.

Either YOUR circle pad is crappy or you're doing it improperly and not noticing it.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Git gud. I never had any problems with the circle pad. In fact, in some ways I prefer it over regular analog sticks.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
The 3DS and Wii U specific controllers all have true 360 degree movement, but Smash 4 specifically reads only 8 directions (though analogue for those directions). What ends up happening is the software is doing some math to figure out where the threshold is for one direction, and your hand movements cross that threshold. It's something I notice back when the N64 first came out and many gamers were getting used to it. In this particular case, the way you hold your 3DS for movement is making it so certain actions are harder to move accurately. Think on how your thumb moves from left to right on the Circle pad, and notice how it is an arc and not a direct left - right. This is actually what is getting in the way.

You'll want to train your hand to move the circle pad more like a D-pad for it's directions instead of an analogue stick, which will help. (The circle pad is closer to the unit, so it has no circumference to need to be applying pressure against to work.) That helped me when I was first getting used to the Circle pad when I got my 3DS.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
The 3DS was the first controller I've used (other than Wii remote + Nunchuk at a party), so I don't have any problems with it. I understand how hard it is to adapt to different controllers -- I can't use a Gamecube controller effectively for a hundred dollars.

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
I've had the same issue sometimes, usually for me it's just sweaty hands.

Here's something you might want to try though; calibrating the circle pad. It might not be guarantee to help you out but it's still something people should do every once in awhile. It was actually my problem when I noticed I was using Sheik's side B a lot in FG instead of her up B. (Grenade SD's I cri evry tiem T-T)

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
There is that one moment where I'll pull a Side B by complete accident, though that's only whenever I get too tense. The pad doesn't give me that much trouble, overall. Only thing that saddens me is the likeliness of destroying the thing by trying to Dash Dance.

Top Bottom