• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, had some exams recently/coming up, so that's why I haven't been available lately. Fortunately a few have been taken care of, so I should have more time on my hands.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
THE CHAT WAKER - TOON LINK SOCIAL + SKYPE GROUP
(Check the light blue text below for the Skype group info)

Welcome to the Toon Link social thread! Feel free to discuss anything related to our cartoonish green hero, anything related to The Legend of Zelda, how your day was, or any other random stuff as long as it doesn't break the site's rules.

As for the Skype group, if you want to join, either post your Skype info on this thread and someone who's already in the Skype group will add you, or add me (Skype name: shinatuah) and explain in the friend request that you want to join the group.
Woohoo, two profiles! We've got a real party going on in here! :p

Also, we need a conversation starter, so what are you guys' favorite Zelda games? Any Zelda games you're currently playing?

Personally, mine are Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. I'm currently playing the original LoZ for the NES, and doing a guideless three heart challenge in OoT as completed as I can possibly get it (including finding all of the golden skulltulas, which is crazy hard without a guide).
two questions. Why is this thread called a gay social, not that i have anything against gays im just curious. Second question, how many people are in the skype group because i was thinking about going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
So how has everyone been?
Quite well! I had actually just done a long session of training my TL amiibo.. and wow his AI has really improved. I can't quite beat him by myself anymore... I've trained him too well! (And the fact that he's beyond overpowered). He has killed me in only 2 hits before; 1 Perfect-Shield explosion, and an up-smash, then I was gone. Be them both critical hits, but still something to behold. :o

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
two questions. Why is this thread called a gay social, not that i have anything against gays im just curious. Second question, how many people are in the skype group because i was thinking about going.
Visit link social and look at the rules thread the part that fox is openly deceptive wrote

@ Kleric Kleric can you get an amiibo to lvl 50 and feed it gear after you've got it to lvl50 or does it need to be fed gear to level up after a certain point

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
@ Kleric Kleric can you get an amiibo to lvl 50 and feed it gear after you've got it to lvl50 or does it need to be fed gear to level up after a certain point
Yup, you can still keep feeding it after it hits level 50. Before the training I had revamped his stats & buffs entirely when he was already at level cap.

Last edited:

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I got huge problem playing whit toon link lately, my camp game is hype but when they approach im not as good. this make me think that i could change my main. But i dont want xd. My game is too much gaycampy and when its time to exchange hit, im a big noob. I would like some tricks to ugrade my closefight and i'm thinking that the only solution is by playing anoyher character. am I right?

D

Deleted member

So I normally never mention anything about my birthday since I hate getting told 'happy birthday' and other attention that goes along with it, but omg. My brother got me this absolutely amazing shirt
20150501_105559-1.jpg
along with SD cards with Project M (though I haven't been able to get it to work since it freezes on the stage builder even though it works fine on his Wii, just like my other SD card I tried using for PM :/ ) and Balanced Brawl. My dad also got me a pro controller and ordered a Melee disc for me. I haven't been able to play Melee at all since my Melee disc doesn't work anymore, so I'm super excited about getting a new one. The pro controller is also amazing, and is incredibly easy to IZAC with. The very first thing I did with it was try IZACing in training mode, and I could IZAC like I was born IZACing. I highly recommend it for anyone having trouble with IZACing on the GCC because of trouble going from Y>Z.
Well, had some exams recently/coming up, so that's why I haven't been available lately. Fortunately a few have been taken care of, so I should have more time on my hands.
Good to hear. We should wifi again when you get time to.
Blessed by the most high.

How did you do at the tourney btw?
Good to hear. And you mean Sandstorm a few weeks ago? Unfortunately not as good as I was hoping. I ended up getting 5th in my pool out of like 7 (it was supposed to be 10 but 3 never showed up). I think I played a lot better than usual though and I also learned a lot and made new friends I now practise with, so overall I'm still pretty happy with it.
Our main is amazing, that's why. Do we really need any other reason? And there are like 30-40 people in the Skype group, I think.
Hi everyone. I got huge problem playing whit toon link lately, my camp game is hype but when they approach im not as good. this make me think that i could change my main. But i dont want xd. My game is too much gaycampy and when its time to exchange hit, im a big noob. I would like some tricks to ugrade my closefight and i'm thinking that the only solution is by playing anoyher character. am I right?
This board has a Q&A thread, I suggest using it if you expect an answer.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh. Spotdodge frame data is trash compared to Brawl's.
Ahh. We're Beat by Mewtwo in airdodges.
OH WELL.
I'm happy to see Pika's frame data be the same as Toon's. Marth and Ness are ehh.
**But as Artemis said... distance covered by roll is also something to take note of.

I just realized, four is a pretty long list of mains to have. Ness was my first "competitive" main in Brawl, but I don't follow his metagame very much in Smash 4, though.
EHH. YOU KNOW WHAT. I'm a junior in high school, and I'm nowhere near as amazing as some people I see on streams who are the SAME AGE AS ME. I'm just going to have fun, and get all the mains that I want. :')

Edit:
Happy 333th post to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ahhh. Spotdodge frame data is trash compared to Brawl's.
Ahh. We're Beat by Mewtwo in airdodges.
OH WELL.
I'm happy to see Pika's frame data be the same as Toon's. Marth and Ness are ehh.
**But as Artemis said... distance covered by roll is also something to take note of.

I just realized, four is a pretty long list of mains to have. Ness was my first "competitive" main in Brawl, but I don't follow his metagame very much in Smash 4, though.
EHH. YOU KNOW WHAT. I'm a junior in high school, and I'm nowhere near as amazing as some people I see on streams who are the SAME AGE AS ME. I'm just going to have fun, and get all the mains that I want. :')

Edit:
Happy 333th post to me.
Using too many characters is so fun, even if it can make it really difficult to get good at the game. In Brawl I ended up seconding Gay and Yoshi and for my tertiaries I used Captain Falcon, Marth, Ganon, Kirby, and MK (who I used because I like him, not because he's the best in the game), it was really fun but I ended up being so bad from juggling all of those characters lol. My MK was particularly horrible, to the point where I ended up challenging the person in my region who was the worst with Snake to a one cent money match to figure out who was the least awful of us with a top tier. We both SD'd like all of our stocks but I lost 3-0, so the other guy made a penny that day. I'd post the videos of it, but I can't seem to find them again.
Is Tofu the new nickname for Toon Link? I'd be happy to start calling him Tofu.
I don't know, but I like tofu. Tofu scramble in particular is absolutely amazing. Tofu with soy sauce is also surprisingly good, and I've also developed a taste for tofu as well as tofu milk (not soy milk; they're not the same things). Tofu meat is really good too, especially tofu pepperoni.

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
anyone would like to play wifi against me? I got some work to do and I'd like a jugement and analysm by a gay main. skype at lempsexy or message me if you would like it

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
So, I've been thinking about plainting 2 C4 in the same spot. While the first one explodes, you can full hop airdodge away to catch the other bomb, which is hard to see because of the smoke. You can also not catch the bomb if you want some mixups, as the bomb won't be visible until the smoke clears. I have been experimenting with z-dropping into a shield (failing a C4 input by pressing z too early) and then doing the same mixups. If I find anything else, I'll say something.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Toon link has sooooo many follow ups in this game which means a lot of pressure can be put with him.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Toon link has sooooo many follow ups in this game which means a lot of pressure can be put with him.
Sometimes it even seems as if his projectiles autocombo into each other when you use them correctly. His followups tend to be kill moves, which can lead to decently early kills. His bair is quite potent for this, as it comes out fast.

Last edited:

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
His follow ups in general are awesome!
For example, many tink mains don't know this chain of follow ups exist with tink on most characters:

Zair > nair + fastfall > jab 1 > jab 2 > up tilt > uptilt > full hop nair > fast fall nair > grab > up throw > follow up like up air/ bair

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips for learning to read?
Start against slow character I'll say. You can do trick at the beggining like dash to the enemy and shield to see how they play, if there agressive, defensive, shieldbitch, grabbitch, etc

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Start against slow character I'll say. You can do trick at the beggining like dash to the enemy and shield to see how they play, if there agressive, defensive, shield*****, grab*****, etc
So someone like ganon would be ideal? I was thinking maybe samus because of her roll speed

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
So someone like ganon would be ideal? I was thinking maybe samus because of her roll speed
Like I said begin whit slow character. like ganon , for example, try interrup there side b attack by sending them projectile

samus is perfect too i think, but I do not play against a lot of samus to say that.

Try read movement whit your projectile, its your god key for learning to read Cause its hard to punish. whit quick character like c. Falcon, its the same as ganon, but quicker.

one thing that is efficient is to bait opponent to do certain move. For exemple, bait ganon and c. Falcon to up b you when you are in thr sky, drop a bomb to there face. I also fake myself bad habits sometime in the beginning of certain game like alway do the same projectile combo. When they begin to download those bad habbit, reck them

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The biggest thing is to play, A LOT, like ILJ mentioned. The more you play, the easier it is to predict what can happen in given situations. Of course, what exactly happens differs between characters and players, but by continually playing the game, you at least become aware of the different possible available options.

Another thing to do would be to play people worse than you are. When fighting people your skill level or higher, you're less likely to try to implement new things into your game on the fly because you're uncertain whether or not it would work and ultimately, you want to win. By playing people worse than you, you're less likely to focus on winning since it'll come so easily to you and you can instead practice new skills or new techniques. Also, people get more and more predictable the lower you climb down the ladder, and predictable people are obviously much easier to read. For example, you're on for glory, going up against an Ike. Whenever you knock him into the air and follow him, he counters. And whenever he's far away, he uses quickdraw to close the distance. The first time you knock him into, the air, you follow up and attack him and he punishes you with a counter. The second time, you follow him again and attack, and he punishes you with a counter again, this time he takes a stock. The third time you follow him in the air and do nothing. He counters, it fails, and you punish him with a Fair. Similar thing for quickdraw. Eventually, you'll want to move on to better opponents, but it's easier to begin learning to read against weaker opponents.

Either that or pick up a book.

D

Deleted member

Learning how to read titles would be a good place to start (I tried resisting, but I couldn't). This is the social thread, not the Q&A thread.

Edit: Just clarified the OP.

Also, just out of curiosity, what do a lot of you guys personally prefer for inputting jumps? Personally I prefer using X to jump on the GCC, 3DS, pro controller, and gamepad.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Learning how to read titles would be a good place to start (I tried resisting, but I couldn't). This is the social thread, not the Q&A thread.

Also, just out of curiosity, what do a lot of you guys personally prefer for inputting jumps? Personally I prefer using X to jump on the GCC, 3DS, pro controller, and gamepad.
Y button all the way. No tap jump.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Y jump master race. It's also so much easier to reach the B button if you need to do an immediate B move, e.g. SHDA in Brawl or Up-B OoS.
Then again, there's always the claw. Easy retreating fairs/bombs. Or RARs, if you have trouble with that.
I have trouble fullhopping on some characters. ._.
Shorthopping on the Nunchuk + Wiimote was hellish, though.

Last edited:

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie

Y on gcc, x on pro controller, simply for jump cancelling throw

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Since no one has said anything for a while, ill start a new conversation. So, who do you guys main? (besides toon link)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
@Artemis
Using the GameCube Controller, I'm a Y jumper myself. Just came naturally to me when I first started playing Smash. So much so that I really started to dislike Tap Jump because it just started to get in the way for me. Although right now I'm experimenting with using the Z Shoulder button as an alternative jump button in order to initiate special attacks as soon as I jump.

@ Halfy Halfy
Who do I main besides Toon Link? Well I definitely consider Toon Link my number one, but I have a wide variety of characters that I enjoy using when hanging out playing Smash with my friends (My Toon Link is too above their level, so I sort of need to mix it up a little to give them a chance). Most notibly :4megaman::4zelda::4pikachu::4zss::4sonic::4bowserjr::4yoshi:, but I also give some good time to :4mario::4samus::4kirby::4fox::4shulk:. There are also a few other characters I'll choose rarely here or there just to keep things interesting.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Anyone else play Advance Wars? I'm playing it right now, regular campaign mode for the third time after giving up Advance Campaign (couldn't make it past the second level, and I consider myself at least decent...) and I designed two maps. One with four factions with at least 40 air units pre-deployed (over half the armada battle choppers, about ten fighters and eight bombers) and a handful of cruisers, an HQ, eight cities, two ports, and three airports per faction. With almost all of the map an ocean. Let's just say it's taking a really long time to play through that one. Especially since I set each city to give $9500 per city, so we basically have an infinate money source (battleships, the most expensive unit in the game, costs about $28,000 or something like that).

Also, did you prank me Artemis?

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Anyone else play Advance Wars? I'm playing it right now, regular campaign mode for the third time after giving up Advance Campaign (couldn't make it past the second level, and I consider myself at least decent...) and I designed two maps. One with four factions with at least 40 air units pre-deployed (over half the armada battle choppers, about ten fighters and eight bombers) and a handful of cruisers, an HQ, eight cities, two ports, and three airports per faction. With almost all of the map an ocean. Let's just say it's taking a really long time to play through that one. Especially since I set each city to give $9500 per city, so we basically have an infinate money source (battleships, the most expensive unit in the game, costs about $28,000 or something like that).

Also, did you prank me Artemis?
Fire emblem is better imo. I don't play advance wars.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link is my main main. As well as Villager and Ness. I seem to perform the best with Ness though despite that I don't really practice as much with him as I do Toon Link.... :T

D

Deleted member

Pretty interesting that so many Gay users here use Y, I got the idea that it was rare for people to prefer Y to jump but almost every Gay main O've asked said tthey use Y. It would be neat if someone in the Smash community (not me I'm too lazy) did surveys and stuff to try to figure out why some people use Y and others use X, why some use L to shield and others use R, etc.

Since no one has said anything for a while, ill start a new conversation. So, who do you guys main? (besides toon link)
I don't use anyone else. I've been heavily considering picking Pikachu up as a secondary though. It would just be to cover bad match-ups, but I don't like how he plays in this game nor do I care for the character himself, which honestly feels kind of lame to me but it would also just be to cover Sheik and Greninja. I'm so torn over it lol.

Nice pink name, PSIboy. :p And me, prank people? I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would I do something like that? It's not like I would try to get more pink fabulousness in here or anything.

Also, in reply to that thread that somewhat recently got locked that Fox said should've gone in here, there are some parts of my state that are really free and others that are okay, so my results depend. I've done really well whenever I've gone to tournies in the free part, but I always get dead last at the tournies in my city where people aren't as bad. Honestly though I haven't put any real effort into trying to get better at the game, just on learning ATs, so I've been trying to change that lately. Hoping maybe some day I cam make it out of pools at a tourney that does them lol.

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
For me its fox, because hes totally different and fun to play. Only problem is that its not that easy switching character when their gravity is so ta say opposite xP....

But its nice to have a rush down character in your arsenal I think... :)

Also i use wii u pro controller with X and L1 jump depending on the AT

Last edited:

OBCD421

Smash Rookie
NNID
OBCD
Hi guys!

My name is Chris I'm 20 year old living in isla vista Santa Barbara California (SoCal) currently a sponsored competitive swimmer training to swim the English Chanel. In my spare time you'll find me on a ethers ladder or nintendojo laddering my main toon link!
Id absolutely love to be added to the skype group so I can share with you what I've learned! My skype name is NesSpyro and so is my NNID!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I feel like Fox Is Openly Deceptive is going to eventually lock each and every thread on the Toon Link Boards.
Seriously, scroll down through the threads and see just how many he has locked. :laugh:

Top Bottom