• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I've got a list of 22 mains and counting. I want to main every character, but Charizard and Roy will always be top dogs.

:charizard::diddy::dk2::ganondorf::popo::kirby2::link2::lucas::luigi2::mario2::marth::gw::ness2::olimar::pikachu2::rob::sheik::warioc::wolf::yoshi2::mewtwopm::roypm:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've got a list of 22 mains and counting. I want to main every character, but Charizard and Roy will always be top dogs.

:charizard::diddy::dk2::ganondorf::popo::kirby2::link2::lucas::luigi2::mario2::marth::gw::ness2::olimar::pikachu2::rob::sheik::warioc::wolf::yoshi2::mewtwopm::roypm:
See, I couldn't possibly focus on that many characters. I enjoy playing as a host more than my listed mains, and I try to know how every character works, but I just don't have the time to really main more than a few.

I can play ganon, lucas, olimar, rob, and wario decently, but I try to only consider the one's I'm very competent as as mains.

Oatmeal.

See, I couldn't possibly focus on that many characters. I enjoy playing as a host more than my listed mains, and I try to know how every character works, but I just don't have the time to really main more than a few.

I can play ganon, lucas, olimar, rob, and wario decently, but I try to only consider the one's I'm very competent as as mains.
I usually end up only using four or five of them in the tournament scene, being Charizard, Roy, Link, Diddy, and Yoshi. So yeah, not quite perfect with everyone yet.

It's amazing how far off-topic you can get like this, so I'll stop it here.

Why do you want to main Charizard?

Hong

The Strongest
T~T I suck at fragile speedsters.

My Samus is able to keep up with the best local spacies, but sometimes they just get the best of me. That is when I decided to practice something unusual, that being Bowser. Whenever I go into a set, if I lose a match, every now and then I like to field the Bowser and it absolutely wrecks people in the Melee scene because they have no idea on what the **** is even going on. Hell, if it is someone I haven't played before, pulling out Bowser on the first match is hilarious.

And ever since, I have sworn to always have a pocket heavyweight as a secondary. Unless someone really stellar is announced or a lot changes with him in the final build, I'll be maining the Villager in this one, but I can already tell you he is going to have some bad match-ups. Going to be training that :4charizard:and hoping I can pull him out when my back is against the wall.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Because I've been a huge Charizard advocate since pre-brawl, I love non-humanoids in fighters, and Charizard is just one of my favorite things in general ^.^. I'd love to see him get more tournament showing, too.

And ever since, I have sworn to always have a pocket heavyweight as a secondary.
This is my G&W dedede combo in Project M. The play styles are so different, it catches people off guard and is hilarious to boot.

Oatmeal.

T~T I suck at fragile speedsters.

My Samus is able to keep up with the best local spacies, but sometimes they just get the best of me. That is when I decided to practice something unusual, that being Bowser. Whenever I go into a set, if I lose a match, every now and then I like to field the Bowser and it absolutely wrecks people in the Melee scene because they have no idea on what the **** is even going on. Hell, if it is someone I haven't played before, pulling out Bowser on the first match is hilarious.

And ever since, I have sworn to always have a pocket heavyweight as a secondary. Unless someone really stellar is announced or a lot changes with him in the final build, I'll be maining the Villager in this one, but I can already tell you he is going to have some bad match-ups. Going to be training that :4charizard:and hoping I can pull him out when my back is against the wall.
Charizard is a fantastic choice for that job. He's actually very fast for such a heavy character. I often win my Charizard matches because nobody knows how to counter him (making fighting against top tier characters very fun indeed. In PM, he absolutely wrecks spacies. He's a monster in the air, keeping up with Fox and Marth. Plus, he's got the extra jump and the glide.

I couldn't imagine demoting this demolition derby to a secondary.
I'd love to see him get more tournament showing, too.
At least you have me...and all 30 of the Charizards in the world.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Maining Charizard has very little to do with his mechanics for me. I just have so much fondness for the character since we go way back.

I still remember the day when I first got Pokemon Red and saw Zard on the cover. Charmander ended up being my very first (and very favorite) Pokemon, which is really significant considering the series has remained my favorite of all time... Other than Smash of course.

The little boy in me still can't believe he has remained popular enough to eventually become his own Smash character despite his age. It's pretty much the ultimate gift to longtime Pokemon/Zard fans.

Number1joker

Smash Rookie
Just about the only character in the whole game worth playing imo.

Same day as Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

That's the only reason I wouldn't agree.

Though I do think they'll try to push it out before Black Friday.

Edit:
Definitely not true. They wouldn't release both Pokemon and Smash Bros on the same day. Even if it is different consoles it's still the bigger games for nintendo.
Your first post and already a :4greninja:

Double Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
all hail king charizard!!!!!!! :006::006::006::006::006::charizard::charizard::charizard::charizard::4charizard::4charizard::4charizard::4charizard::4charizard:

Maining Charizard has very little to do with his mechanics for me. I just have so much fondness for the character since we go way back.

I still remember the day when I first got Pokemon Red and saw Zard on the cover. Charmander ended up being my very first (and very favorite) Pokemon, which is really significant considering the series has remained my favorite of all time... Other than Smash of course.

The little boy in me still can't believe he has remained popular enough to eventually become his own Smash character despite his age. It's pretty much the ultimate gift to longtime Pokemon/Zard fans.
yes! yes!!! sooo much yESS!!!

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I would desperately love to play Charizard in Smash 4... but I main him in P:M.
And I'm going to find it very, very difficult to switch between P:M Charizard and Sm4sh Charizard. :C

Oatmeal.

I would desperately love to play Charizard in Smash 4... but I main him in P:M.
And I'm going to find it very, very difficult to switch between P:M Charizard and Sm4sh Charizard. :C
Yeah, I've been there. It took me a long time to get the sense that Brawl Zard and PM Zard are two different characters. But eventually I was able to play them both with the mentality that they aren't the same thing. And if I can adjust to that, anyone can.

So give ol' Charizard your best shot anyway. He's worth the effort.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Charizard is a character I really want to get better at in Project M, so I'm also super excited for him in Sm4sh :D Mega Charizard X is also probably my favorite Mega Evolution, so I'm happy it's going to be his final smash! I drew some fanart of Megazard a little bit after his Smash reveal (and I'm selling prints of that, btw ;P)

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
I wasn't the biggest fan of Charizard in Brawl, mostly because of the whole Pokemon Trainer thing, but I really like using him in Project M, he's one of my secondaries in that one. No doubt it's going to be a bit hard to get back to him in Smash 4. Hopefully he'll be better because he's without the trainer now.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I wasn't the biggest fan of Charizard in Brawl, mostly because of the whole Pokemon Trainer thing, but I really like using him in Project M, he's one of my secondaries in that one. No doubt it's going to be a bit hard to get back to him in Smash 4. Hopefully he'll be better because he's without the trainer now.
I'm sure he'll be a LOT better. In fact, due to his loss of the trainer, I plan on making him one of my mains, if not my MAIN main. <3 I love Charizard, always have. :)

Oatmeal.

It seems like every Roy main has Charizard as a secondary, myself included. It's an odd, but pretty popular combo.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
It seems like every Roy main has Charizard as a secondary, myself included. It's an odd, but pretty popular combo.
Haha really? I didn't know that. If anything, Ike and Charizard seem like a better combo to me. Both are heavy and have fire like abilities. Oh and Ike would so totally have Charizard as his personal Pokemon.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm Tech_Chase. I mained Dedede throughout Brawl. I developed a lot his metagame as well. When I heard Charizard was going to be his own playable character, I was instantly geeked. Pokemon came out when I was in 5th grade and Charizard has a special place in my heart. I accel at "strong, punishing" type characters. Some of the videos I've seen seem very promising. If he's even mid-tier I'd still use him seriously. Can't wait for the game to come out to the States on the 3rd!

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Been a Pokemon trainer and Smasher since the very beginning, Charmander was my first and Zard remains one of my favorite Pokemon. I generally like characters with a strong air game that pack a punch. Like Tech, I was a Dedede main in Brawl, and plan to use the King plenty in Sm4sh as well, but standalone Charizard is a dream come true. Project M was great for him, but I can't wait to get my hands on the real deal. Gameplay videos are looking pretty good, not necessarily a stand-out top character but certainly seems plenty viable. Good weight, good recovery, and nice power with some quick moves is a nice combination. I'm also really glad that they gave Charizard some personality in this installment. He was pretty bland in Brawl, but now he's got the confident smirk, the powerful Mega Evolution, the anime-inspired Seismic Toss, a new set of roar/vocal soundclips, and more. Charizard is ready to rock, and I'm looking forward to Smashing with him.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

WingedKnight..I know who you are! You were before my time in the D3 community. Quite interesting to see another D3 main focus on Zard. I'm not really surprised though.

Basically much of what he said applies to me too. Really excited about Zard in this game. I put a metric **** ton effort to unravel D3's potential in Brawl.....expect the same for Zard from me in this game.

Oatmeal.

Now DDD mains join the fun? Excellent! I love DDD mains. Welcome to the club.

My heart just flutters when I hear about all this Zard love.

D

Deleted Member

Supposedly Mew2King said that Charizard is terrible (based on a post from GameFAQs), but does anyone remember what M2K and Zero actually said about Charizard in the stream?

Really hope he doesn't end up at the bottom. :( Then again, it is rather early to tell how tiers will play out, especially with the Wii U version (which has far better controls) not out yet.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
Supposedly Mew2King said that Charizard is terrible (based on a post from GameFAQs), but does anyone remember what M2K and Zero actually said about Charizard in the stream?

Really hope he doesn't end up at the bottom. :( Then again, it is rather early to tell how tiers will play out, especially with the Wii U version (which has far better controls) not out yet.
M2K thinks that most characters are horrible, to be honest.
I'd rather wait a week for the game come out and for the meta to develop than trust a limited view.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I do think it is a bit early to draw conclusions on characters. Things such as moves and maneuvers that I previously thought were simple and wouldn't produce much promise to a character's metagame, actually surprised me a great deal in brawl. If we explore, and have a sharp eye, we could find something pretty significant about Charizard's toolset.

As such, has anyone tested what possible options Zard has after up-throw at low percent? When i first used it, the lack of power was disappointing at first. However after thinking about it, up throw might allow for follow ups or at least an advantageous position.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Charizard means way too much to me for me to not main it here. Been my favorite Pokemon since I was 8 (I'm 24), and I tried to play him as much as possible in Brawl but that stupid switching mechanic got in the way.

ZTD | TECHnology

Top players can have their perceptions of the characters all they want, but until the game is actually released world-wide and people get the chance to develop metagames, it's purely speculation and I'm going to ignore statements such as "_____ is bad". In Brawl in the beginning, people thought Dedede, Rob and Game and Watch were top tier. Years later, they were barely used mid tier characters. From what I've seen Charizard is not without his flaws but his crippling weaknesses from Brawl seem to be addressed. The fact that he's a large-framed, heavyweight and now has a viable recovery as well as respectable mobility is a big deal. Characters in Brawl that did poorly suffered mostly for these two reasons:

1. Almost all of the bottom/low tier characters had no kill options. They either suffered from a lack of kill moves in general or the ones they had, had no setups or were too laggy to be reliable. The few that did relied on constant extreme reads and just straight up out playing the opponent; which is a testament to the player , not the character. Charizard has a number of viable options. His aerials do have some significant end lag, but many other characters also have this issue. And at the very least, the start up on these moves is surprisingly low. Which means Moves like Fair and Bair can be used as reliable punishes for kills. Therefore, Charizard doesn't need to rely solely on gigantic reads to get kills.

2.Piss-poor recoveries. This was one of the major weaknesses that plagued Charizard in Brawl. Sure, Fly had Super Armor but a character with such a large frame needs more than a "eh" vertical recovery move. And God help you if you had to actually land on the stage with it. It was like a worse version of Marth's Dolphin Slash. Flare Blitz is a big deal and having a horizontal recovery alongside a vertical one that be both be used offstage, helps him a lot.

From what I've gathered so far, Charizard seems viable to me. The "smart", big-reads oriented player will probably do quite well with him and I'm very excited to be a dedicated Charizard main myself.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Holy cheese biscuits. I'm excited for solozard! The moment he was in Brawl, I mained him for a short time and it didn't work well for me. This time, he's definitely on my "to main" list

Hong

The Strongest
A lot of competitive players are skeptical of heavyweight characters, barring Bowser.

Don't pay my colleagues any mind. Smash 4 is heavily trade-focused, so I think heavyweights will fare well enough. Their attacks are not always lightning-fast, but at a reasonable speed. Heavyweights in any fighting game require an immense amount of patience at times, especially against projectile-users. I think Charizard has a lot of mobility and strong punishing options, so you just need to make meaningful decisions, and don't be afraid to play lame whenever the opportunity arises. Flamethrower is very good at this.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Has anyone noticed that the Optimistic Charizard Thread is probably one of the most viewed threads in all of the confirmed character forums?

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Pokemon is my favorite Nintendo franchise. Unlike most people here, my first Pokemon game wasn't actually Red/Blue, but Emerald. I'm in the early teens, so I haven't played the original Gen 1 and Gen 2 games. I have watched the original anime though! (cousins gave me tapes/discs). Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard was hella cool!

I've always liked grass starters over fire starters, but I've always loved dragons/dinos so Charizard is my favorite fire starter. As for all time favorite Pokemon... well, he's not in my top 20, but hopefully Smash 4 can change that! I ended up loving Lucario because of Smash, so I'll probably learn to like Charizard more.

Never really used him in Brawl because of the transformation thing. He was one my first mains in PM, but then I stopped using him, and now I'm going to pick him up again. As for Smash 4... I'm probably going to use him! (my list of possible mains is expanding so much QQ samurai y u make so cool characters)

Some stuff I'm liking about Charizard is his PM upthrow (SEISMIC TOSS!!!) and his Flare Blitz. Flare Blitz is just like in the Pokemon games! Tons of damage and recoil!!! Also good recovery tool! He's also a heavy and big character, and I like heavy characters more than light ones.

I wish they used Charizard Y rather than X for his Final Smash. This is just something selfish of me lol. I know and understand why Charizard X is being used rather than Y, but an unpopular opinion of mine is that I like Y more than X. Nonetheless, his Final Smash is still hella badass. He flies!!! AND SHOOTS FIRE BLASTS!!! AND DOES TWIRLY TACKLES!!!

Overall, I'm excited for Charizard in Smash 4. I'm not 100% certain I'm going to play him, but he's near there! Even if he turns out to be low tier, if I like him then I will use him

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I used PT in Brawl. How do you guys like the SSB4 Charizard?
He has his PM upthrow (Seismic Toss) now, which is strong. His new side-b, Flare Blitz, is also very strong. It can kill easily, has little recoil, and can also be used to recover. Not very sure about his other stuff.

He looks buffed. Not having the transformations really works in his favor. So ya, I like him.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Don't know if this has been asked before, but - As cool as the Flare Blitz is, is it worth it? I mean, after watching some vids, it looks like the enemy takes 20 damage from it, while Charizard himself takes about 24 damage. That's A LOT. I mean, it is powerful, but is it so good that you really take over 20 damage yourself as a punishment?

EDIT: Hmm, in another video here, Charizard only took 9 damage... does it depend on how much damage you have already taken?

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Don't know if this has been asked before, but - As cool as the Flare Blitz is, is it worth it? I mean, after watching some vids, it looks like the enemy takes 20 damage from it, while Charizard himself takes about 24 damage. That's A LOT. I mean, it is powerful, but is it so good that you really take over 20 damage yourself as a punishment?

EDIT: Hmm, in another video here, Charizard only took 9 damage... does it depend on how much damage you have already taken?
From what I've noticed, you take X during start up and an additional Y if you hit something (character, shield, wall, etc.)

Top Bottom