• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Character Potential Thread

bigman40

Smash Master
Yoshi has room to move up. Dragonic Reverse is a hard move to do consistently in fights (let alone you aren't using Tap jump). Also, if someone can get his harder "gimmicks" (I state them as that now cause it's nearly impractical atm), then he'll be better force than he was before.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I think ZSS has a lot of potential. Not many main her, but I think if more people tried, she'd move up the tier list a good amount.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
PT, Mario, and Yoshi are probally have some of the most untapped potential. I could say Sonic, but I'm not totally sure...

Samus and Link definetly do pretty well, probally some untapped potential there but I think it's mostly that they are just under-repped (If that's even a word).

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Yes, Link has a lot of untapped potential, but his recovery is not the untapped part and will leave him stuck in bottom tier for all eternity.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Guys...I hope you know that there is a difference from your character being bad and your character having potential...
Yah, but you never know until they've been mastered to their highest level of play.

PS: I'd place my bets on Yoshi and Mario for really moving up from low.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
i personally believe ic's and fox.

for us snake mainers, probably just mindgames will develop.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pikachu with all the QAC BS definitely has some untapped potential there.

Toon Link's just waiting for someone to find his "perfect style" that lets him actually pull off his powerful, lightning-quick kill moves.

Falcon's still waiting for his SHDFP, though.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Anyway...I believe IC to have the most potential, especially in Melee, but Brawl, as well. If you can mindgame/pressure your opponent into getting close, you've basically won the match, heh.

Falcon could get higher. He has some fast moves and could theoretically mindgame people in Falcon Punch. But...I dunno. He got pretty nerfed in Brawl, appearance, strength, range, and priority.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
IC's have less untapped potential than you think.
Just in case you think the wrong thing, I happen to use them as a secondary and discovered all their current AT's the first 2 hours that I used them in training mode when I got the game.

Then again, I could be wrong *goes into training mode again.*

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
^^Until you completely master desyncing, they have untapped potential.
It's not that hard to do. They don't have enough possibilities to lock other charactesr in combos for super long or anything. Sure, they have otg squall and ice block locks on fallen characters... fun grab stuff. But within all the creativity there is room for error. And even if you DON'T make a mistake, there's not enough hit stun to really dominate the other character with desynched aggression.

Desynched defense (blizzards, blocks, uairs, and other forms of priority) can only go so far.

Trust me man, I'm probably one of the best desynchers in the world right now.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well, I was just thinking of what it would be like to be in control of two characters at the same time with 100% consistancy. Fun stuff I'd imagine (not total domination, but an impenetrable defense).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It seems that people are confusing potential with technicallity. There's a difference.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Powershielding attacks with Popo while having Nana do some completely seperate action (blizzard, Iceblock, f-smash, whatever) is not potential?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
^^Powershielding attacks with Popo while having Nana do some completely seperate action (blizzard, Iceblock, f-smash, whatever) is not potential?
that stuff takes inhuman reflexes lol. we can't risk solid gameplay and use of priority for attempting inhuman stuff

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
do you play ice climbers? using one to powershield and the other to attack is SERIOUSLY inhuman and unrealistic. you said this was about controlling both characters pefectly at once. doing that kind of complex stuff on reaction is much harder than SDI

there was a lot of potential showed in the "perfect control" melee videos created by SuperDoodleMan. the closest anyone got to perfect tech skill was Silent Wolf, and his stuff was inhuman. but he still wasn't the greatest fox player, and much simpler and more solid fox styles could beat him in ditto (recently, Mango)

character potential can only go as far as a solid playstyle taking a player to his limits.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Am I the only one who thinks Diddy might have immense potential with his bananas? There are probably some uber-good/hard combos which we didn't even think of yet...

I agree with ICs and Sonic (and maybe PT...).

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
do you play ice climbers? using one to powershield and the other to attack is SERIOUSLY inhuman and unrealistic. you said this was about controlling both characters pefectly at once. doing that kind of complex stuff on reaction is much harder than SDI

there was a lot of potential showed in the "perfect control" melee videos created by SuperDoodleMan. the closest anyone got to perfect tech skill was Silent Wolf, and his stuff was inhuman. but he still wasn't the greatest fox player, and much simpler and more solid fox styles could beat him in ditto (recently, Mango)

character potential can only go as far as a solid playstyle taking a player to his limits.
In case you haven't noticed, Silent Wolf is still amazing, and Fox players are still (including Silent Wolf) are still getting more technical. Saying the closest anyone "got" to perfect is inacurrate, because the process is still going.

And I know that what I've suggested seems inhuman. But...so did multishining when it was first shown, and so did pivoting, and so did SDI, and so did Peach's float cancels, and so did ledgeteching, ect. but people have made solid progress in all of those aspects, so I don't see why Ice Climbers should be any different. And you should know by now that I'm talking purely hypothetically, and don't actually expect anyone to be able to do that. But if it is technically possible (as in, if it is litterally possible for human fingers to move fast enough to do so), then I call it potential as it is theorectically reachable.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
of course i feel obliged to say Yoshi and Sheik have potential which may be true to some extent but there probably are other chars w/ more potential like Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer mostly because not as many ppl use them

But its really up to the players to tap into their specific chars potential, as little there may be

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Pt's potential is limited.
If he were able to have a fully loaded Cache for his pokemon (so he could switch faster) his potential would go up, but theres no pausing in the game and whatever.
Pt's characters also have less potential, because while they are 3 seperate characters with 3 seperate playstyles.....some just don't excel.

When Yoshi shuts down 1 of your characters, and evens out with 2...when they're all different playstyles...your overrated =P (Or yoshi is underrated MAKE YOUR CHOIEC BWUHAHAHHAHA).

Anyways Imma just mention Yoshi again.
A Master of DR would completely change the perspective of Yoshi. If someone could Utilize DR, DT, ECE, ELFSJ, Egg slide, autocancelling (eh still needs mention), Egg lay itself and...imma say it...the dtilt.
To their full extent yoshi would be so much better.

Link's potential is limited due to his recovery so we know that while not every character is played to their fullest, some just don't have it due to heavy weaknesses.

Yoshi doesn't have super weakness's anywhere, instead he just doesn't excel particularly anywhere.....which means if you could master DR, and everything else, you can "force" him to excel in area's......and he'd kickass.

Well maybe not...maybe I'm overrating a bit...but Yoshi has a lot of potential.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Im going to sound like a idiot but i dont see the big fuss over Links recovery, its better than marios when it comes to getting on the stage and its hard to attack him while hes doing it without getting hurt/stunned unless you have good range like marth and link

Tenki

Smash Hero
Im going to sound like a idiot but i dont see the big fuss over Links recovery, its better than marios when it comes to getting on the stage and its hard to attack him while hes doing it without getting hurt/stunned unless you have good range like marth and link
the actual reach and height of Link's recovery isn't very pretty.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
From what I gather, Sakurai did Mario and Link first. They were considered test subjects, and all the errors on them were noted and improved on other characters. >.>

Surprisingly, Mario is beginning to show potential.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Sonic isn't going to get much better.
He is extremely limited.
Running speed is always a plus however in Brawl it doesn't mean to much.
Brawl is largly an aerial dominated game and sonic doesn't move extremely fast in the air and lacks to projectiles to take someone else out of the air effectively. His aerial range is very limited as well, and most of his attacks are pretty laggy in the air and don't have any other good attribute dishing out a lot of knockback. His grab range is a bit more limited than one would think too and the timing is awkward. Things combo decently with him however they don't actually dish out a lot of damage. As a side note he has very few gimp options so your ability to punish a stupid mistake just isn't there.

MK is going to keep going up and up. He isn't losing his place in the tiers.

PT, might have potential however if the other person is playing a pressuring game its near impossible to switch for situations.

Also, I don't really understand what's so wrong with Samus...
Her game isn't extremely lacking in any quality.
She has great ground attacks. Gimp potential. Projectile game. Combos very well. She is decently heavy and she doesn't even have a bad recovery.
She definitely could do better on the tier list. I say she is now.
There really isn't anything wrong with Samus. Shes good and balanced across the board. She won't get played often because you can't pick her up and instantly dominate like you may be able to with MetaKnight.

I have to say Link and Bowser. I refer to these characters as tanks because they are slow, easily abushed, but if you land even one smash its good game. I've been playing both alot lately and really enjoy playing them.

I'd like to say Captain Falcon, but hes so limited in every area its hard for him to deal with other characters. I really feel bad for Falcon mains.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
There really isn't anything wrong with Samus. Shes good and balanced across the board. She won't get played often because you can't pick her up and instantly dominate like you may be able to with MetaKnight.
She has no kill moves, and she can't punish for ****. Those're her two main problems. She'd be mid tier at least if she had one safe, effective, even KINDA POWERFUL kill move.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Sonic isn't going to get much better.
He is extremely limited.
Running speed is always a plus however in Brawl it doesn't mean to much.
Brawl is largly an aerial dominated game and sonic doesn't move extremely fast in the air and lacks to projectiles to take someone else out of the air effectively. His aerial range is very limited as well, and most of his attacks are pretty laggy in the air and don't have any other good attribute dishing out a lot of knockback. His grab range is a bit more limited than one would think too and the timing is awkward. Things combo decently with him however they don't actually dish out a lot of damage. As a side note he has very few gimp options so your ability to punish a stupid mistake just isn't there.
=/ This doesn't show a good understanding of Sonic, or Sonic players. Its quite superficial. Sonic can gimp quite well mind you. What do you thnik we have spring bombing for XD.

Nah but seriously, like tenki said, Sonic as a character probably won't do much groing. Its doubtful we'll find many new ATs or anything of the like that could be truly gamebreaking. Rather, Sonic players just need to learn to play smash better. Really, all we need is for some amazing smasher to pick up Sonic and learn the techniques, set-ups and followups that are already known, or for someone who already knows all of those to become an amazing smasher. Its not to discredit anyone, but it seems that everyone who's a great smasher knows little or barely ever puts anything advanced into effect when its useful. And then there are Sonic's who know just about everything there is to know, but don't have technical skill and/or ability of someone who is plain old a good smasher. I feel like the biggest breakthrough us Sonic's are making now have to do precisely with the basics, Sonic's speed, powershielding, spacing.

Anyways, a true Yoshi master would definately be formidable. Yoshi-wavvedash ftw

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
It's not better than Mario's, don't kid yourself.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually, i now think ice climbers are the hardest character to play to their potential.

emme

Smash Cadet
not enough Diddy >=(
btw

1) Ice (emh..)
2) Diddy (BANANAS)
3) Pika (QAC ecc)
4) Yoshi

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't see Diddy going anywhere but down from here. Diddy's entire game relies on bananas. Should he become as overused as MK or Snake, I don't think it'd take long for people to adapt to his playstyle....Especially since every Diddy generally plays the same way. I think that's his biggest advantage. Diddy's such a different kind of matchup that not understanding the fight pretty much dooms you from the start.

Lol, flame.

Top Bottom