• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bosses's Annihilation - A Guide About How to Dodge Each Boss Move

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
How to Dodge Each Boss Move
by SmashBrosForce​

Contents

I. Intro
II. Objectives
III. How to Dodge Each Boss Move
IV. Closing Words

I. Intro
A Guide destinated for those who love Boss Battles. I will show the pictures of each boss attack and explain how to dodge each move.
I'll be very objective with the explanations, cause many people know how to dodge almost all the boss attacks.
If you're a Newcomer both in SSBB and Boss Battles, please, feel free to read this guide and learn something interesting.

II. Objectives
My goals are:
- Make a good discussion about the boss moves.
- Answer questions.
- Receive suggestions about boss moves names and even receive new explanations about How to Dodge a specific move.
- Explain everything.
- Help Newcomers.

III. How to Dodge Each Boss Move:

- Crazy Hand

This is the "Master Hand" with crazy atributes. Basically he has the same properties of Master Hand.

Moves:

Name: Grab
K.O Potential: High
How to Dodge:
With the right timing, you can perform a simple Ground Dodge.

Name: Crush
K.O Potential: Very High
How to Dodge:
You can perform an Air Dodge which is much more safe to avoid this attack.

Name: Poke
K.O Potential: Low
How to Dodge:
You just need to Roll Out.

Name: Jet
K.O Potential: HUGE
How to Dodge:
With a simple Double Jump you can avoit it.

Name: Breakdancer
How to Dodge:
Just stay away of this move.

Name: Sweep
How to Dodge:
Roll Out to the right side or use an Air Dodge to avoid the first hit.

Name: Bombs
How to Dodge:
Stay away from that move, cause It's almost impossible to dodge if you get caught by this move.

Name: Punch
How to Dodge:
Double Jump is the best way, undoubtedly.

Name: Charged Crush
How to Dodge:
Double Jump is the best way to avoid.

Name: Charged Punch
How to Dodge:
Double Jump is the best way to avoid.

Name: Drill Attack
How to Dodge:
The safest way to avoid this move is get out of the stage and stay in the ledge. Actually you can DJ -> Air Dodge with some characters.

Name: Laser
K.O Potential: None
How to Avoid:
It's almost impossible to dodge if you get caught by this move.

- Galleom

He is one of the strongest bosses. He has BRUTAL and dangerous moves which can give a good **** on you.
He is slow, but he is an opponent who deserves respect.

Moves:

Name: Missiles (2-2)
How to Dodge:
Stay out of it. Air Dodge can be useful in this situation. Remember: This move CAN'T be REFLECTED.

Name: Missiles (4)
How to Dodge:
Stay out of it. Double Jump can be useful too. Remember: This move CAN'T be REFLECTED.

Name: Big Stomp
How to Dodge:
There are many ways do dodge this move. Air Dodge, Ground Dodge and DJ -> AirDodge are the safest ways.

Name: Body Collapse
How to Dodge:
This move is SCARY. Ground/Air Dodge are the best ways. If you're good enough, you can wait until he falls completely, use a Ground Dodge to avoid the move and punsih him SEVERELY.

Name: Ground Shockwave
How to Dodge:
With the right timing you can use an Air Dodge to avoid it.

Name: Both Side Punch
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the safest way. Also, you can just Roll Out or use a Ground Dodge, but it's very unsafe.

Name: Galleom Tank
How to Dodge:
Double Jump -> Air Dodge, undoubtedly. He will only fall on you from the top of the screen if he's at low health. If he falls on you, Roll Out or use a Ground Dodge and punish him Severely.

Name: Multi Stomp
How to Dodge:
Actually you just need to stay away from that move and punish Galleom while he is performing the stomp. Also, If you get caught by this move, Air Dode is a good way to avoid it.

Name: Spin Attack
How to Dodge:
This move is very weird. You just need to stay way from this move and punish Galleom.

Name: Normal Stomp
How to Dodge:
Ground/Air Dodge are the best ways, undoubtedly.

Name: Uppercut
How to Dodge:
This move is a little bit hard to dodge. Air Dodge is probably the safest way to avoid it.

- Master Hand

The Master Hand is the most popular Boss. His attacks have changed since SSB64/SSBM, but he still pretty easy to beat.
Master Hand has some poweful attacks, but all of his moves are very predictable and very easy to Dodge.

Moves:

Name: Crush
How to Dodge:
If you're good enough, you can stay in the ground and perform a simple Ground Dodge. You can perform an Air Dodge which is much more safe to avoid this attack.

Name: Drill Attack
How to Dodge:
This is the most annoying move. The safest way to avoid this move is get out of the stage and stay in the ledge. Actually you can perform a DJ -> Air Dodge with some characters, but it's hard to do.

Name: Grab
How to Dodge:
This is the easiest attack to Dodge. With the right timing, you can perform a simple Ground Dodge.

Name: Charged Punch
How to Dodge:
While the Master Hand is charging the punch in the air, Double Jump is the best way to avoid. If you're a Godlike, you can wait for the charged punch and use a Ground Dodge.

Name: Charged Crush
How to Dodge:
This move has the same atribute of Charged Punch which is while the Master Hand is charging the punch in the air, Double Jump is the best way to avoid. If you're a Godlike, you can wait for the charged slap and use a Ground Dodge.

Name: Gun
How to Dodge:
With the right timing, you can use a simple Ground Dodge. Also, you may be jumping forcing Master Hand miss. Remember: This move can be REFLECTED.

Name: Jet
How to Dodge:
With a simple Double Jump you can avoit it. If you're a Godlike, with the right timing you can stay in the ground waiting for the move and use a Ground Dodge.

Name: Laser
How to Dodge:
It's almost impossible to dodge if you get caught by this move.

Name: Poke
How to Dodge:
You just need to Roll Out. Actually you can use an Air Dodge or use a Ground Dodge to avoid all the hits, but is very unsafe.

Name: Punch
How to Dodge:
Double Jump is the best way, undoubtedly.

Name: Ram
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the safest way.

Name: Slap
How to Dodge:
Double Jump and Air Dodge are the safest ways. Actually you just need to Roll Out to the right side.

Name: Sweep
How to Dodge:
Roll Out to the right side or use an Air Dodge to avoid the first hit.

- Meta Ridley

Meta Ridley is a strong boss. He is tough, but he allows you to inflict several damages. Also, If you hit him severely every "Round"(Cause he appear constantly in the left side of the screen after each attack), you can easily beat him.

Moves:

Name: ...
How to Dodge:
You just need to jump and don't stay on the Falcon Flyer.

Name: Wing Attack
How to Dodge:
Ground Dodge can be useful. Also, Short Hop -> Air Dodge is a good way.

Name: Multi Fireball
How to Dodge:
You need to stay behind Meta Ridley and punish him during the performance of this move. Also, this move can be reflected.

Name: ...
K.O Potential: Instant Death
How to Dodge:
You have to jump at any cost. Also, Air Dodge prevents you to take damage.

Name: Sweep Claw
How to Dodge:
Double Jump -> Air Dodge is probably the best way.

Name: Big Fireballs
How to Dodge:
You need to hit Meta Ridley while he is holding the ledge of the Falcon Flyer, If you don't do that, you will have problems.

Name: Giant Fireball
How to Dodge:
Meta Ridley almost never use this attack. I just stay away from this move when I see his mouth covered in flames.

- Petey Piranha

This is the weakest boss of all bosses. His moves are a disgrace, he has only one strong attack and he is very predictable.
I have to say the truth: He is a cursed boss.

Moves:

Name: Cage Attack
K.O Potential: Medium
How to Dodge:
There are many ways to dogde this move which are: Ground Dodge, Air Dodge, Full Jump, Double Jump and Roll Out.

Name: Charge Speed
How to Dodge:
There isn't a way to dodge this move. He just use this move to get stronger.

Name: Super Stomp
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge and Ground Dodge are the best ways. You can just run away, if you're pressured.

- Rayquaza

Rayquaza has a powerful health and this makes him hard to beat. He is pretty tough. He has good Mindgame moves. Also, some of his moves aren't too easy to avoid.

Moves:

Name: Aerial Dash
How to Dodge:
You just need to Roll Out. Also, you can use a Ground Dodge with the right timing.

Name: Dig
How to Dodge:
You just need to Roll Out.

Name: Fly
How to Dodge:
With the right timing you can use an Air Dodge which is the safest way. Some character can avoid this move by ducking.

Name: Ball of Electricity
How to Dodge:
Double Jump is the safest way or you can just Ro. Remember: This move can be REFLECTED

Name: Explosion
How to Dodge:
If you see something wrong with Rayquaza's eyes, immediately prepare yourself to use an Air Dodge to avoid the explosion.

Name: Iron Tail
How to Dodge:
Short Hop and Double Jump are the safest ways, undoubtedly. Also, you can use a Ground Dodge to avoid it.

Name: Thunder
How to Dodge:
With the right timing, you have to PowerShield it.

- Ridley

Ridley isn't very strong. Also, he has only 2 powerful moves. Almost all of his moves are very easy to dodge.

Moves:

Name: Aerial Bite
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the best way.

Name: Aerial Claw
How to Dodge:

Name: Aerial Dash
How to Dodge:
Short Hop/DJ -> Air Dodge is the safest way.

Name: Flying Dash
How to Dodge:
You just need to use a simple Double Jump (DJ -> Air Dodge to avoid safely).

Name: Flying Stomp
How to Dodge:
Roll Out and Run Away are the best ways.

Name: Roar
K.O Potential: None / Low (If you take damage)
How to Avoid:
Well, since the wind doesn't inflict damage, you can run up to the Ridley and punish him severely.

Name: Tail Attack
How to Avoid:
Just use the Double Jump. Remember: If you get caught by this move, you will take a lot of damage.

- Porky

He is one of the most annoying bosses. He is pretty tough. Also, he has a good moveset and his attacks aren't very easy to dodge.

Moves:

Name: Walk Away
How to Dodge:
Stay away from that move and try to be using aerial attacks to punish him.

Name: Run
How to Dodge:
Double Jump -> Air Dodge/Up-B is the best way, undoubtedly.

Name: Spike Attack
How to Dodge:
Use the Double Jump to stay on top of Porky and Punish him. Also, you can just Roll Out to the right side and stay behind him and punish him severely.

Name: Stomp
How to Dodge:
Ground/Air Dogde are the safest ways.

Name: Explosive Bot
How to Dodge:
These guys are annoying. You can stop them if you hit them with a projectile. If you try to shield it, these guys can easily break your shield. You just need to stay away from these guys until they explode.

Name: Energy Laser
K.O Potential: HUGE (Grounded) / None (Aerial)
How to Dodge:
It differs whether you're grounded or not. On the ground, it does a HUGE upwards knockback. If you're in the air, it's a multi-hit attack that isn't as likely to kill you, but does more or less the same amount of damage. You need to use Air Dodge twice successfully. If you miss, you will take a lot of damage.

Name: Big Laser
How to Dodge:
You just need to Roll Out/Run Away to the right side when Porky release this move.

- Duon

The MOST ANNOYING Boss. He is very strong and he has the most powerful moveset behind Galleom and Tabuu. He really deserves much respect.

Moves:

Name: Dash Attack
How to Avoid:
You have to use Double Jump -> Air Dodge/Up-B.

Name: Stomp
How to Dodge:
We shouldn't take damage by this move, since Duon use this move to switch his position.

Name: Spin Attack
How to Dodge:
You just need to stay away from this move. Also, you can just Roll Out.

Name: Slash(3 Hits)
How to Dodge:

Name: Flame Slash
How to Dodge:
With the right timing, you just need to use the Ground/Air Dodge.

Name: Explosives
How to Dodge:
You need to stay away from the mines until they explode. Also, you can break the mines with a Projectile (Fox's Laser, For example).

Name: Head Smash
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the best way, undoubtedly. Also, if you stay in the ground, you can use a Ground Dodge.

Name: Blue Lasers
How to Dodge:
This move is hard to avoid. You can just Roll Out 3 times consecutively. Also, you can mix Air Dodge and Roll Out (lol).

Name: Missiles
How to Dodge:
Well, you should lead the missiles to hit Duon.

Name: Horizontal Blast
How to Dodge: Take distance and perform: Double Jump -> Air Dodge. Remember: This move can be REFLECTED

Name: Vertical Blast (270 Degree)
How to Dodge:
Take distance for your security and perform an Air Dodge to avoid the projectiles. Remember: This move can be REFLECTED.

- Tabuu

He is the BOSS of bosses and the STRONGEST among them. He has the most powerful moveset and his moves are very Sexy. Also, he has a great resistance.
Honestly, he is an opponent that deserves much more respect.

Moves:

Name: Bullet Rain
K.O Potential: None (Bullets) / Very High (Explosion)
How to Dodge:
If you get caught by the Bullets, it's almost impossible to avoid. You can use a Ground Dodge to avoid the explosion after the performance of bullets.

Name: Diving Slash
How to Dodge:
You just need to Jump. Also, if you stay in the ground, you can you a Ground Dodge.

Name: Electrical Shield
How to Dodge:
You have to stay away from that move.

Name: Golden Bracket
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the safest way to avoid it.

Name: Pinpoint Explosion
How to Dodge:
Double Jump -> Air Dodge is the safest way. Also, you can get out of the stage to avoid this attack.

Name: Rapid Chop
How to Dodge:
If you get caught by this move, it's impossible to dodge. So, stay away from this move.

Name: Shark Blade
How to Dodge:
Air Dodge is the best way, since Tabuu always use this move in the air.

Name: Shuriken Boomerang
How to Dodge:
You just need to jump. Also, if you stay in the ground, you can use a Ground Dodge.

Name: Tabuu Projection
How to Dodge:
Stay away from this move at any cost.

Name: Eye Laser
How to Dodge:
Stay below the head of Tabuu.If you get caught by this move, it's almost impossible to avoid it.

Name: Explosive Teleport
How to Dodge:
This is the Tabuu's Mindgame attack. You need to pay attention on where he is teleporting.

Name: Chain of Light
How to Dodge:
This is the most Sexy attack. Air Dodge is the best way, undoubtedly.

Name: Dragon Laser
How to Dodge:
You have to use the Double Jump. Also, you can you DJ -> Up-B, if you're very pressured.

Name: Off Waves
K.O Potential: Instant Death
How to Dodge:
The Most Powerful move in Boss Battles. With the right timing, you can avoid all the Rings of Death by using Ground Dodge. It's pretty Easy.

IV. Closing Words
Thanks for reading the Guide.

I did my best to explain everything.

I hope I've helped you.

Thank you very much for your attention.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Hey guys !

Thanks a lot !

I will keep editing the guide.

Go easy on me, it's my first guide about something of SSBB.

lol

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Even though players who do Boss Battles many times will have memorized this, I can see you've put a ton of effort into this. Sweet work!

~rRiot

Kantō

Smash Champion
very nice guys, im glad someone put this together instead of just talking about it. great work. too bad im never playing boss battles again after i beat it on intense.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
one thing i found wrong with the petey pirahna section: you said ground or air dodge is the best way to dodge his jump? Its easy, predictable, and just safer to run to the other section of the stage. :)

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Great thread, and an excellent read. One thing I want to add: Master Hand's gun, Rayquaza's ball of electricity and Duon's horizontal and Vertical blasts can all be reflected.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
one thing i found wrong with the petey pirahna section: you said ground or air dodge is the best way to dodge his jump? Its easy, predictable, and just safer to run to the other section of the stage. :)
Well, Run Away is good option too, but pay attention, if you perform a Ground/Air Dodge instead Run Away you're able to PUNISH him SERVERELY. That's the reason.;)

Great thread, and an excellent read. One thing I want to add: Master Hand's gun, Rayquaza's ball of electricity and Duon's horizontal and Vertical blasts can all be reflected.
About these moves that can be reflected, I think it's a common knowledge, but I will add these informations.

Thanks

EDIT:
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a suggestion about the name of the guide ?

Another thing, I'm not sure if I put the name of the Boss Moves right. If you think that I put a wrong name, let me know, please.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
its just not very practical :(
knowing his hitbox can help too.. you could charge a smash right outside of where hell land

i know a title: besting the bosses- a comprehensive guide to boss battles

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
its just not very practical :(
knowing his hitbox can help too.. you could charge a smash right outside of where hell land

i know a title: besting the bosses- a comprehensive guide to boss battles
Thanks for the help.

I'll write your suggestion in my book. Let's wait for the other suggestions.

If you have more names, post here dude.

Nice guide, this is gonna help alot of people.
Thanks man.

You encouraged me to make this guide.
Malik, I thought your thread very interesting and this thread deserves something good.
I have a suggestion:
Why don't you create a Guide about all Boss Moves saying how to dodge each attack.

I think we could make a good discussion involving all boss moves.

Would be nice, I guess.
Or maybe one of us could do it.

We finally have a guide now, since this forum isn't very popular, it's always good to have a guide about something and at least we have something interesting destinated to Boss Battles.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Whoa, this is an amazing guide.

I can tell TONS of work has been put in to this, especially getting every individual picture at the right time.

Excellent work.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I can tell TONS of work has been put in to this, especially getting every individual picture at the right time.

Excellent work.
I spent 2 days trying to collect all the pictures and I spent some time selecting the best pictures to fill the guide.

UPDATES:

* Duon's Horizontal/Vertical Blast explanation were UPDATED.

* Added new picture of Galleom's Body Collapse performance.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
You can say that again....and again....and again.....Infact I will. This is a great guide, this is a great guide, this is a great guide, this is a great guide, this is a great guide, EVERYONE NOW! This is a grea-....*passes out*
lulz...

I'm trying to find the best explanation about Tabuu's Pinpoint Explosion attack.

I will update this guide soon.

n88

Smash Lord
I find it funny that you're getting hit in some of the pictures.

Really, though, this is a great guide for people who are new to the Bosses thing.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Hmm. I read through your guide again, and I've thought of something. Would it not be prudent to describe the attack in words, the warning of an impending one and the damage it does? I could help you measure them if you want. There's also a couple of moves I think I could add a few wrods too.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I find it funny that you're getting hit in some of the pictures.
Well, I put the pictures of Mario getting hit to show how the move works and it's very funny.
:laugh:

oh yeah. its finally made. great job SBF.
Thanks man.
I am glad, cause my job in this guide is getting recognized.

Hmm. I read through your guide again, and I've thought of something. Would it not be prudent to describe the attack in words, the warning of an impending one and the damage it does? I could help you measure them if you want. There's also a couple of moves I think I could add a few wrods too.
Hey, that's good man !
As I said in the Objectives section, I accept any kind of help to improve my guide.
Post here what you want to be added in the guide.

Also, give me some time, cause I'm trying to find the best way to avoid Tabuu's Pinpoint attack.

Thanks for your help.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Hey, that's good man !
As I said in the Objectives section, I accept any kind of help to improve my guide.
Post here what you want to be added in the guide.

Also, give me some time, cause I'm trying to find the best way to avoid Tabuu's Pinpoint attack.

Thanks for your help.
Awesome. Well, as I said, it'd probably be a good idea to put up the damages the attacks do. It would go something like this:

Damage Output: HUGE (32% - 64%)

Not any specific attack that's for, but it should give you the general layout. The reading on the left is what it will do on Easy; likewise, the one on the right is what it'll do on Intense. (i.e. On easy it does 32%, intense 64%)

There's also a couple of things you've got wrong or missed out. I may as well list a few.

* Porky's small laser - it differs whether you're grounded or not. On the ground, it does ~50% and HUGE upwards knockback on Intense. If you're in the air, it's a multi-hit attack that isn't as likely to kill you, but does more or less the same amount of damage. The way to dodge is still the same.

* Porky's Porky bots - I was going up against him a few minutes ago and I found out that you can stop them if you hit them with a projectile. They'll trip first, then blow up. Falco's lasers ftw. :)

* Galleom's tank form - he will only fall on you from the top of the screen if he's at low health.

And I've got a name for Gal's unnamed attack - how does Ground Shockwave sound?

Tabuu's Pinpoint attack? Probably the best way is to go right above it all, but some characters aren't capable of jumping that high. Otherwise you'll just have to spot-dodge or air-dodge. If Tabuu aims badly though (his attack goes in a very high arc), then you could get into a spot he misses.

PM me and we can talk a little more.

~rRiot

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
RuNNing Riot: I will put your explanations when I get a Free Time to update the guide.

Well, I thought "Damage Output: HUGE (32% - 64%)" a little bit weird, can you explain more about that ? I need to understand it.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Well, I thought "Damage Output: HUGE (32% - 64%)" a little bit weird, can you explain more about that ? I need to understand it.
Okay, then. Well, the 'HUGE' part should be self-explanatory (i.e. DON'T GET HIT). When I say 32% - 64%, I mean the damage on Easy (32%) compared to the damage on Intense (64%). Overall, it will do 32% - 64%, depending on the difficulty level. Was that clear enough?

You could just type: Damage:, not Damage Output: if that makes it any easier to understand.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
There's also a couple of things you've got wrong or missed out. I may as well list a few.

* Porky's small laser - it differs whether you're grounded or not. On the ground, it does ~50% and HUGE upwards knockback on Intense. If you're in the air, it's a multi-hit attack that isn't as likely to kill you, but does more or less the same amount of damage. The way to dodge is still the same.

* Porky's Porky bots - I was going up against him a few minutes ago and I found out that you can stop them if you hit them with a projectile. They'll trip first, then blow up. Falco's lasers ftw. :)

* Galleom's tank form - he will only fall on you from the top of the screen if he's at low health.

And I've got a name for Gal's unnamed attack - how does Ground Shockwave sound?

Tabuu's Pinpoint attack? Probably the best way is to go right above it all, but some characters aren't capable of jumping that high. Otherwise you'll just have to spot-dodge or air-dodge. If Tabuu aims badly though (his attack goes in a very high arc), then you could get into a spot he misses.
~rRiot[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
I put your explanations in the guide. Also, I mixed the explanations.

About Galleom's unnamed attack, I will put Ground Shockwave, since I don't have any idea yet.

About Tabuu's Pinpoint attack, I'm still looking for the best way to dodge this move.

Actually I'm looking for a name for this guide, do you have any suggestion ?

Pombo

Smash Rookie
to avoid mistakes, i jump out of the stage when Ridley uses his Flying Stomp. Its safer

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
to avoid mistakes, i jump out of the stage when Ridley uses his Flying Stomp. Its safer
If you jump out of the stage, you will completely lose the chance to punish him severely. Even Run away is much better than jump out of stage. I use a Ground Dodge which isn't safe, but at least I get the chance to punish Ridley.

Honestly, jump out of the stage isn't a good way unless you're very pressured.

For the pinpoint I look at the spark than do whatever I need to avoid it, like jump+ air dodge or you roll TOWARDS it, or you just sidestep dodge it.
I'll put definitely these explanations about how to dodge Tabuu's Pinpoint attack.

Roll Towards Tabuu really works ?

EDIT:
RuNNing_Riot, If you have any final explanations for Tabuu's Pinpoint attack, post here.
I want to update this guide.

n88

Smash Lord
Tabuu's super-attack is called "Off Waves", not red rings of death.

Smash Rookie
Tabuu's "pinpoint attack" shouldn't really involve dodging. It's either crouch, or DJ if he targets the ground.

Top Bottom