• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Boomerang Has Come Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I guess Link's Gale Boomerang came back, I hope it get's buffed but all of Link's specials confirmed. Though I am excited, because it looks like Sakurai is actually balancing the game.
Gale Boomeran.png

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I have to say, I am kinda disappointed that the Gale Boomerang is back. But like OP said, it might be better since Sakurai is balancing the game.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I love the gale boomerang personally so I'm hyped about it!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Wow it's seems to have quite a bit of knockback!
Yeah, it actually looks intimidating this time.

Also, since Sakurai said that movesets can be customized, I see no reason why we won't be able to ditch the Gale Boomerang for a different one. Also, I'm willing to bet that Link(and Toon Link) can now use fire, ice, light, and/or bomb arrows.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
I was amazed to see that knock back of the gale boomerang! So hyped for that. Also, I'm very hyped for the custom moves. (They only apply to specials, right?)

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I was amazed to see that knock back of the gale boomerang! So hyped for that. Also, I'm very hyped for the custom moves. (They only apply to specials, right?)
From what we've seen, yes, but who knows. Really, after that truckload of info, we have more questions than ever before, so the sky's the limit with this game.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
From what we've seen, yes, but who knows. Really, after that truckload of info, we have more questions than ever before, so the sky's the limit with this game.
I hope Link is better than Toon Link, or that they are equal. I have high hopes though, that boomerang knockback looks fantastic

Dott

Smash Ace
Actually dissapointed too about the gale boomerang, because it doesn't do much when it come back to link.

But seems like this time it will be strongest than brawl, that hit and a jump+neutral can do something.

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
The Gale Boomerang in action;
Thank you so much for retrieving this animation clip; nice find! I've been waiting ages for that attack to get confirmed, as it was Link's only special that I haven't seen confirmed for the longest time! I noticed that the Gale Boomerang was used outside of gameplay during Greninja's Super Smash Bros. 4 reveal trailer, but I didn't recall glimpsing this during the actual April 8th, 2014 Nintendo Direct presentation! The thrill of seeing (tentative although likely) confirmation for the Gale Boomerang led to this image served as my first SmashWiki image upload (and my most favorite so far, at that!), so thanks again! :) And I'm liking that knockback! I've viewed the Gale Boomerang fondly when I first equipped it in Twilight Princess, so it's nice to glimpse its return in SSB4..

I'm hoping that the Gale Boomerang can pull items towards Link now, like it can in Twilight Princess..

Yeah, it actually looks intimidating this time.

Also, since Sakurai said that movesets can be customized, I see no reason why we won't be able to ditch the Gale Boomerang for a different one. Also, I'm willing to bet that Link(and Toon Link) can now use fire, ice, light, and/or bomb arrows.
*shudders* :surprised: :idea: My word, I didn't even think of this! I've loved the idea of Fire Arrows ever since I read that Young Link utilized them in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and equipping Bomb Arrows in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was just amazing! I've been somewhat iffy on whether the Bomb Arrow implementation should be in SSB4 itself (I recall some of the builds for Super Smash Flash 2 actually including Bomb Arrows in their much-requested form for Link), since it would kind of defeat the purpose of tossing Bombs by themselves (then again, there could be times where one doesn't want firepower, like if Blast Boxes are littered about on the stage)... But nevertheless, even if we don't get "official" Fire, Ice, and/or Bomb Arrows, at least we can customize Link's arrows ourselves! :bluejump: (although I doubt we'll be able to use multiple arrow varieties within one match.. :/) I'll probably leave the Light Arrows for Zelda/Sheik and Pit, though.. :p

Wow, I had a feeling that "customized movesets" would be cool and fun to use, but the possibilities just get grander! :colorful:

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Thank you so much for retrieving this animation clip; nice find! I've been waiting ages for that attack to get confirmed, as it was Link's only special that I haven't seen confirmed for the longest time! I noticed that the Gale Boomerang was used outside of gameplay during Greninja's Super Smash Bros. 4 reveal trailer, but I didn't recall glimpsing this during the actual April 8th, 2014 Nintendo Direct presentation! The thrill of seeing (tentative although likely) confirmation for the Gale Boomerang led to this image served as my first SmashWiki image upload (and my most favorite so far, at that!), so thanks again! :)

*shudders* :surprised: :idea: My word, I didn't even think of this! I've loved the idea of Fire Arrows ever since I read that Young Link utilized them in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and equipping Bomb Arrows in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was just amazing! I've been somewhat iffy on whether the Bomb Arrow implementation should be in SSB4 itself (I recall some of the builds for Super Smash Flash 2 actually including Bomb Arrows in their much-requested form for Link), since it would kind of defeat the purpose of tossing Bombs by themselves (then again, there could be times where one doesn't want firepower, like if Blast Boxes are littered about on the stage)... But nevertheless, even if we don't get "official" Fire, Ice, and/or Bomb Arrows, at least we can customize Link's arrows ourselves! :bluejump: (although I doubt we'll be able to use multiple arrow varieties within one match.. :/) I'll probably leave the Light Arrows for Zelda/Sheik and Pit, though.. :p

Wow, I had a feeling that "customized movesets" would be cool and fun to use, but the possibilities just get grander! :colorful:
The thing is, custom move sets aren't likely to be in tournament play, unless Sakurai finds a way to balance it. Though I guess, let's say Link is one of the worst character in the game, like brawl sadly, we could easily have a specific custom move set for Link, that is in every tournament. To balance the game.

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, custom move sets aren't likely to be in tournament play, unless Sakurai finds a way to balance it. Though I guess, let's say Link is one of the worst character in the game, like brawl sadly, we could easily have a specific custom move set for Link, that is in every tournament. To balance the game.
Yeah; even if customized movesets don't receive use in "official" tournament play, I'm still glad that the customization option for Fire Arrows exists for local/personal play sessions. :D Tournament-sanctioned customized movesets (such as augmenting Link's Gale Boomerang or arrows with another elemental affinity) would be interesting to see, though. Though who knows? Maybe Link will get actual Fire/Ice/Bomb Arrows in his vanilla/default SSB4 moveset..

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I doubt we'll see custom movesets in tournaments. When the players are the one balancing the games... that's when we'll have anarchy, riots and death. :p
Don't forget balance patches are viable this time around!

Anyway, to get more on topic, Link's throwing animation seems a lot different. Definitely a lot more stiff-looking. I wonder what that means...?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Let's not talk about custom movesets too much here, please. We already have a thread for that, and people over there are at each other's throats.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I was a bit disappointed to see the Boomerang back until I seen that clip up there. The knock-back it has makes it look pretty decent. I noticed that his recovery also pushes him up a bit more as well, and that his dodges and some of his moves seem quicker. Hopefully, Link will rise up in this Smash at least to Toon Link's level.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I do hope it does something when coming back like trapping or damaging the opponent, I know that some people express disdain at this move but the first time it was revealed I thought it showed potential. Too bad it didn't end up as useful as the old boomerang.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im a bit disappointed in its return as well, but if that gif is any indication its at least beefed up. And hell theres enough of links other items in game for anyone to use i guess that kinda makes up for it.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
lol well, nearly all the veterans are weak.

Speaking of weak characters, in a recent game commentary with M2K (where he nearly 4-stocked a Marth using Pichu) they said that apparently Pichu was given really horrible qualities by Sakurai on purpose; kind of a handicap that doesn't involve that percent handicap (no one likes it when I do that with friends; they say they feel like a horrible player when I turn it on). So yeah, we could say that Ganon is a HUGE handicap in Brawl, but a lot of casuals actually like Ganon and think that's he's so pro, mostly because the other players can't shield or dodge for their life.. Oh yeah. Ike. Lots of Ike among my friends. And Din's Fire is spammed a lot. And Pika thunder. etc etc etc. AND TL DAIR.

Soo. I really have no idea what the "handicap" character is in Brawl.
But ANYWAYYY I really hope there's a "handicap character" in Smash 4 so that I can main him/her and beat everyone.
(Honestly, I started playing Smash because I wanted to beat all my friends; it wasn't for tourneys. So most likely I'll never play Melee because that's not what my friends play.)

Last edited:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Anyone catch the tornado doesn't start until after it hits Marth, and Link doesn't catch it, it just kinda disappears. I like both of those changes.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Anyone catch the tornado doesn't start until after it hits Marth, and Link doesn't catch it, it just kinda disappears. I like both of those changes.
About the tornado, it looks like the tornado doesn't start right away. But I'm sure it doesn't start on the return only.

Link not catching it could be good for not slowing him down but I use it to cancel my dair a lot so I can move quicker. :) can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Morbi

Scavenger
It honestly looks as though the boomerang is more "competent," so for that I am grateful. As someone else mentioned, with move-set customization, one should be able to utilize the classic boomerang anyways. Link would probably be one of the more plausible candidates for move-set customization, with a plethora of items and whatnot. I am excited.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
About the tornado, it looks like the tornado doesn't start right away. But I'm sure it doesn't start on the return only.

Link not catching it could be good for not slowing him down but I use it to cancel my dair a lot so I can move quicker. :) can't wait to see how it all plays out!
Cancelling Dair with boomerang catch?
I know that this isn't in Brawl. Which game is it in? o.o

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I hope Links specials are freshened up ala pikachu's down b, I wish Sakurai would talk about Link in the pic of the days. It looks like this is going to happen though. Though I like his new dash attack and roll

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Cancelling Dair with boomerang catch?
I know that this isn't in Brawl. Which game is it in? o.o
I guess it's not technically cancelling it's more of eliminating lag off the Dair. Sorry for the wrong terminology. But it can be useful for sure.

Last edited:

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I guess it's not technically cancelling it's more of eliminating lag off the Dair. Sorry for the wrong terminology. But it can be useful for sure.
To be fair, that would be an awesome addition to Sm4sh. Being able to cancel attacks with the boomeraing? Suddenly Link gets a lot more awesome!

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I would disagree about it being useful haha. As someone who has desperately tried to main Link I can say that the d-air cancel is way too situational to be any use, unless you're friggin a magical beast like Dumbledore.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
The best smash boomerang was from ssb64, because of the gimping capacities. Maybe sakurai can go little retro on this one. :)
But the knock off is cool too.

Dott

Smash Ace
The best smash boomerang was from ssb64, because of the gimping capacities. Maybe sakurai can go little retro on this one. :)
But the knock off is cool too.
Don't expect too much.

Wow it really looks like it does NOTHING.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I can just about guarantee you we'll be able to choose a different boomerang via custom special moves. Hopefully we can have ice and fire arrows as well.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
When the Gale Boomerang was introduced in the dojo, I thought it had potential, like throwing it to your opponent then sucking them in into the tornado while leaving them in a semi-helpless state were you could follow up with another attack. Sadly, it left alot to be desired.
Though I know what some think of this move, I'm not even mad that it's back. This time around they the chance to make better, just because it's back it doesn't mean it's gonna act the same as it did in Brawl. I remain hopeful about this.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
It appears to act like the melee boomerang when throwing it out, then the brawl boomerang back, presumably drawing back in targets and items to link

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
It appears to act like the melee boomerang when throwing it out, then the brawl boomerang back, presumably drawing back in targets and items to link
Cool since I loved melee boomerang as it was coming out,it did like 15% up close then popped someone straight up for a nair or uair.

JoseStriker

Smash Rookie
Hey, serious buffs to link now :D

It appears that now you can throw the boomerang diagonally down, and diagonally up to chase the opponent in the air xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDg8QveHDQ

(minute 1:28 up to sonic, but he cancels it with his dair, minute 2:07 throws it up again near to hit rosalina and the smash ball and minute 2:29 in the air throw it down to sonic (really close to him) but pass up to him)

Well i can see really good uses to this efect, like throwing the boomerang down to someone trying to come back on stage, but what do you guys think?

(And also if you go to minute 2:44 you can see uair doing 16% damage and being a kill move :D)

Also sorry for my english, im latin .w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom