• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, everyone. Decided to just mess around in training mode now that the lobby got smaller.
If anyone really wants to play, I don't mind.

Lag was bad though. Couldn't play Rachel like how I usually would. :ohwell:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
GGs, to Rutger, Minato, and Crusayer.

That being said, there's something I kinda want to get off my chest, and I admit now it's a bit of a frustrated/semi-bitter rant.

Lately, I've been occasionally finding myself disheartened with BB from time to time. I really started to think about it as these matches were going on too. The thing that bothered me was that out of all the games I played, I lost 12. Out of all the games I played, I won 0. Not 7, not 6, not 5, not even 1, 0. Yeah, I came close about 8 times, as in "one hit and I've got this" close, but nothing seemed to pan out. It got to, and has a couple of times in other rooms/parties/with other people gotten to where I would find myself saying "all right, I'll just get a win off, and I'll go to bed" or something to that effect...and I'd be up 45 minutes later. It just sounds so messed up, so WRONG to me when to finally get a win, you have to flat out play UNTIL you win.

I almost kind of felt like "the punching bag of the room" a bit, and sometimes do against others when it's like everyone else is 8 and 1, or 6 and 5, or 4 and 4, or something like that, and I'm sitting there 0 and 7. That 0 is just something that haunts me more and more as the losses rack up, and each subsequent loss gets me more and more and more upset until I'm eventually dropping loud F-bombs to the point that someone else in the house will sometimes ask down to the basement if I'm okay. It's like...and I know this sounds terrible, but I just sometimes get this feeling that like, "I've put over 2 and a half YEARS playing Blazblue and who knows how many hours into this, don't I deserve BETTER than to just be some random punching bag and the guy that everyone practices their combos on?". Hell, I even stayed on for an additional 10 minutes post room, trying to get into every other room online. The only ones there were full, and nobody was playing Ranked, lol...

Yeah, we all have down days, and yeah I often catch myself before I can yell out explicit language, but when it feels like nothing you can do will actually get you the "W" in that long term match setting, it gets kind of frustrating. I went back and forth a bunch of times with Crusayer where we traded rounds, but he'd always wind up winning round 3. I somehow got a perfect on Minato in the first round of a match we had, but it just seemed to piss him off and have me get owned the next 2 rounds. And while Rutger and I had a bunch of good matches and I took some rounds off, I just couldn't seem to get the job done. I suppose I've just never taken losing well, and I expect things when I'm playing such as combos, to go exactly as they play out in my head from when that first hit connects, so I kind of get a confused mind frame and think to myself "it's kind of weird that I should even HAVE to get used to losing all the time (or at least losing more than I win).

I don't know, I might just be putting so much pressure on myself to do perfectly and like, develop Spark-like skills overnight that I psych myself out. Sorry to go on, I just needed to vent a bit.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're taking the game waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. Still sounds like you're just playing to win instead of playing to learn.

There's really no reason to play to win unless there's money on the line.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hm... I actually understand the frustration. The only tips I can give you are to try playing matches without pressing a button (unless it's a throw) on wake up to improve your defense and your reaction. It's also important to try and not guess a throw as much as possible when you're trying to improve your defense. So no jumping or anything like that either.

The other one is to try and look for habits. Even when you're not playing, watch what other people do so you can deal or take advantage on their actions. Like, this is what I found during the matches.

Against Rutger, I'll always try to anticipate a throw when I jump to avoid his unblockable set up. When he does his super to put me in block stun, all I'm looking for is an overhead or a throw. If time is running out and I don't think I'll be able to block the next mix up, just waste 100 heat by CAing and then RCing. He knows me JCing 5C isn't a good way to keep pressure, but with a cat item, I can counter his attempt to AA (side note, I haven't used 6C to frame trap like I should).

Against Crusayer, I saw that he liked doing 6C at the start of round 2, so I did a 3C do counter him. He likes jumping to avoid Platinum's online mixups so I went for either 6A or air throw. If he accidentally did the long follow up after Lunatic Upper and I blocked, I'm going to IB the last move just to capitalize on that mistake more.

Against you, you liked jumping out of tight spots. I'd usually catch you not blocking on wake up. If you jab pressure me, I usually get ready to tech a throw since you don't mix it up enough. On your drive strings, I go for IBing your Assault Through since I can react to it now in Extend.

As for my habits, I'm not aware of all of them since I haven't saved any of my matches in awhile to view them. I do try to go for reads too much online though so I commit to too many things. As for me getting destroyed in one round but doing well in another, it's not unusual for me. I've learned to shrug off a loss. Plus it's not like SF where meter carries over either, just bursts for BB. And if the opponent saved 2 bursts and used them in one round, that's an easy guard crush.

Picking up people's habits is hard, but once you do, it's so much easier to confidently play your game.

Sion

Island of Horizon
you gotta understand the dude has been playing for quite some time and losing out like that doesn't feel good. also, winning is fun lol

all i can say is **** netplay. i never take that **** seriously. spelt drives a good point, though. might want to take a step back and take it on a lighter note.

god damnit, minato

Crusayer

Smash Lord
How do you even do anything on reaction in netplay. I swear I let go of down for some overhead stuff WAY early and I still got hit by it :|.

Do you even need to IB a Lunatic Upper to do a CH?

I think I might need to get an alt to play in netplay. I haven't had this hard of a time doing combos since I first started the game .-.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How do you even do anything on reaction in netplay. I swear I let go of down for some overhead stuff WAY early and I still got hit by it :|.

Do you even need to IB a Lunatic Upper to do a CH?

I think I might need to get an alt to play in netplay. I haven't had this hard of a time doing combos since I first started the game .-.
It really depends on the connection. Like on our last game, that definitely was impossible to react.

My connection with you early on, I was barely off on teching those throws. Against Rutger's connection, I can react if I'm predicting only 2 (maybe 3) options. IBing block strings is more about predicting and rhythm for me. Against Relius pressure, I don't mash, I just block in a steady rhythm. Against his Drive or against projectiles in general, I just try to block as late as possible like I usually would. I remember thinking IBing was impossible online, but I think it was just because I was too scared to.

And no, I don't need to IB Lunatic Upper for a CH. If it's an obvious move like that, I'm going to IB just for that meter gain though.

Usually Extend's online is actually pretty good. I don't know if it was an off day today or what on the connection. :ohwell:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Livewire, you take netplay waaaaay too seriously. And Spelt's right, there's no point in playing to win online, just play to have fun or improve. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing to want to win, but your time could be better spent.

I realize that netplay is pretty much all you have, but still. Here are some tips to get over your losing streak mentality! Fight other people. Preferably, you want a sparring partner or a group of players that you can practice with on a regular basis. (Like us, haha.) Fighting random players online is fine and all, better than no one, but that's too much noise. Too many styles, too many varying skill levels, not enough chances to experiment against a particular type of opponent. What you want to do with your sparring partner or group, is learn how to beat one person. Once you learn how to beat one person consistently, you can use that as a foundation to beat other people. Once you learn how to beat enough people, you'll begin to recognize styles, begin to group people, etc.

Also, you've probably got a million things that you could improve on, but you don't want to try to improve everything all at once. You probably don't even know what two thirds of your problems are. Don't worry about winning or losing. Just worry about improving. Record your replays. Look over your matches the next day and figure out situations you can't beat, or points that could have been done better. Ask people you fight for critiques, or upload your matches to Youtube and ask for critiques that way. Pick one or two things to improve on, and just focus on improving those things. One step at a time. Don't worry about the end result. Worry about righting your mistakes. As you improve, success will follow with it.

Also, once frustration starts setting in, it might be a good idea to take a break or call it a night. Know when you're at your limit, because the more frustrated you get, the more mistakes you'll make, which in turn, will make you even more frustrated.

Your losses are educational! Just try to stay calm. Think and reflect on what happened and why you lost, and use that knowledge to improve.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I do understand where Livewire is coming from, I've had plenty of games with Minato where the room would end and I'd have 0w 22l. I don't let losses themselves effect me, every match is a chance to learn something new, but it can get really frustrating to lose a lot of rounds in a row thanks mostly to netplay messing up my reaction.

I realized at some point last night that I wasn't improving much lately, but I think I noticed some things. I do need to work on my neutral game, I know it can be tricky to use 214A with the netplay and I need to stop using it at points where I wont get counter hit out of it among other things, I also need to stop hitting so many pointless buttons, I whiff stuff like 5C way too often.

If anyone has anything else to say I'll be glad to hear it.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Livewire, you take netplay waaaaay too seriously. And Spelt's right, there's no point in playing to win online, just play to have fun or improve. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing to want to win, but your time could be better spent.

I realize that netplay is pretty much all you have, but still. Here are some tips to get over your losing streak mentality! Fight other people. Preferably, you want a sparring partner or a group of players that you can practice with on a regular basis. (Like us, haha.) Fighting random players online is fine and all, better than no one, but that's too much noise. Too many styles, too many varying skill levels, not enough chances to experiment against a particular type of opponent. What you want to do with your sparring partner or group, is learn how to beat one person. Once you learn how to beat one person consistently, you can use that as a foundation to beat other people. Once you learn how to beat enough people, you'll begin to recognize styles, begin to group people, etc.

Also, you've probably got a million things that you could improve on, but you don't want to try to improve everything all at once. You probably don't even know what two thirds of your problems are. Don't worry about winning or losing. Just worry about improving. Record your replays. Look over your matches the next day and figure out situations you can't beat, or points that could have been done better. Ask people you fight for critiques, or upload your matches to Youtube and ask for critiques that way. Pick one or two things to improve on, and just focus on improving those things. One step at a time. Don't worry about the end result. Worry about righting your mistakes. As you improve, success will follow with it.

Also, once frustration starts setting in, it might be a good idea to take a break or call it a night. Know when you're at your limit, because the more frustrated you get, the more mistakes you'll make, which in turn, will make you even more frustrated.

Your losses are educational! Just try to stay calm. Think and reflect on what happened and why you lost, and use that knowledge to improve.

Yeah...I understand what you guys are saying and you're probably right. Sorry for the rant yesterday, I just well...figured it was better to just calm down and type it up to at least try to have something constructive come from it. I suppose I'm just naturally competitive regardless of what it is or whatever. I probably should have saved those replays and should next time, but I guess in the heat of the moment, it's just like "blah blah blah, that was bull crap, blah blah, rage rage" so I often tend to just get through the post-match screen ASAP. As for recording my matches and putting them on Youtube, I don't really have and software/hardware on my laptop that I can think of that would let me do it (though in fairness, I'm not even sure what would be needed) so my means of it consists of recording it with a digital camera from a stand, on the TV, which sure it helps that it's HD so there's no flicker, but still, you know?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah we've all been there Livewire. I've been playing as long as you have and still feel the same way now and again. It always helps me to realize how far I've already come versus how I'm currently fairing against whichever tough opponent has gotten me down. Sure we've been at this ~two years now but remember that anyone who is giving you trouble most likely has also or they wouldn't be that skilled.

There's always a huge skill difference between fighting people who are directly in the community that take the game seriously/to new heights and the average fighting game enthusiast. I always take pride in knowing that even if I'm not the best of the best around the Blazblue superstar block I can pubstomp anyone not worth their salt in the average district. I know my friends won't touch the game for roughly the same reason :p

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
No need to apologize, Livewire. Like Jdietz said, we've all been there. :3c

But yeah, I'm sure if anyone ever wanted tips on how to improve, any one of us would be willing to help out or give advice.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
The 8 hour smashfests i used to attend = losing straight all 8 hours.

Just gotta remind yourself to take everything as a learning experience. Friendlies are all about practice and experimentation.

:phone:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The 8 hour smashfests i used to attend = losing straight all 8 hours.

Just gotta remind yourself to take everything as a learning experience. Friendlies are all about practice and experimentation.

:phone:
Oh man, that SO takes me back to like late 08-09. My friend and I would always make the 45 minute drive into the city every other Friday to go play Brawl and do bi-weeklies with a bunch of our friends. Sure, I was always out round 2 of Loser's (that whole 'no life bar, set lives, stage bans' and other stuff was always weird to me), but hey, I didn't care. And when MvC3 was announced my friends randomly decided to make "MVC Brawl", which was the most random and fun thing ever.

Hell, actually that had me stumble onto Blazblue (and not just because of the 'bleh, Brawl's not for me, I'll try this game because it looks cool' way). The guy who's house we were at, randomly got Calamity Trigger one day and was playing it with a couple of other people, so I was between matches and checked it out, didn't know who anybody in it was, randomed Ragna first, and Noel second, then bought the Limited Edition off GameTZ less than 2 weeks later. :bee:

Ah, nostalgia, huh?

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I heard about Guilty Gear because everyone in CO was playing it, and it sounded fun. I didn't know anything about 2d fighters outside of smash though. So I bought it for the Wii and tried playing it on a GC controller. I didn't even know arcade sticks existed...

lilseph

Smash Ace
Kind of just skimmed over what you guys have been saying but from what I can get its almost a good thing hes getting angry over the game. The fact he is getting angry in the first place means he cares about the game which is good.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You can care about the game and not get mad about it too. It's not good to be angry because then you'll play sloppy and when you play sloppy it makes you angry. It's a lame cycle.

But...when Bang gets angry he activates the gates and goes Fu Rin Ka Zan and pretty much turns Super Saiyan... :smirk:

lilseph

Smash Ace
You can care about the game and not get mad about it too. It's not good to be angry because then you'll play sloppy and when you play sloppy it makes you angry. It's a lame cycle.
That doesn't apply to many people. People get frustrated when things don't go their way. Its up to the player to decide if he complains and does nothing about it or if he knows the problem and tries to fix it.

Thino

Smash Master
I still think Blazblue (and fighting games in general) is pretty hard to sit there while being frustrated, because lots of my losses are due to my own mistakes and things that I could have done better.

Things that when I upload and watch, I tell myself I could have done this better and try not to do the same mistakes again.

Getting frustrated but doing nothing about it is whenever you lose due to something that isn't your fault, and I don't count lag in that.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Best option is probably to just go into training with infinite heat and use your DD.
Throw in a Rapid Cancel to speed things up and you'll get it down.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Confirmed myself Japan bound for August 3rd to August 17th. I'll be hitting up some Japanese arcades and hopefully a tournament or two while there for BlazBlue (mainly there for being in Japan and the Sun Rise International).

With the progress I've been making I've decided I'm going to become the top Ragna player in North America, whether it's for this version or whenever we get the new one. Gonna represent! ....which reminds me. I'll hafta practice up my Arcueid for Japan too with the Melty arcade action too.

Got a huge mountain to climb, but it'll be worth it.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
If you want to practice melty, I'm always there Brandon :|

Also, I thought you said you were gonna attempt to be top Ragna since like, CS2 lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If you want to practice melty, I'm always there Brandon :|

Also, I thought you said you were gonna attempt to be top Ragna since like, CS2 lol
Sure thing, Ron. ...except, well, any time you guys try and get me to do online it doesn't work for **** for some reason.

I did. Just solidifying it. I've felt a change in me as a player recently when it comes to BlazBlue. I'm confident enough that I feel I can do it.

Top Bottom