• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
LOL

my gf =/= hot arms BTW

my girlfriend came to play a few rounds but had to leave cause she was feeling sick so i called in hot arms for the rest.

****ing clutch between limabean and his sucky partner. that lucas and dedede team if ya'll didn't know. lol.

also i dunno why pikachu team almost beat anther and bowyer (who knocked dope and joel into losers btw?). me and hotarms kicked their teeth in. LOL
We didn't almost lose to any of the many pika teams. We lost to a mk and a pika, the same team that put dope and joel in the losers bracket.

fel!cks ze reflecks

Smash Apprentice
Hey Fel!icks, is there a regular tournament at MSU, because if so, I would like to go to one to see how I stack up against other smashers.
Not that I know of. We're so disorganized here at MSU. Can't even put together a decent riot anymore or anything.

LOL i think my friend went to that.

his name's calvin. his name might've been redeye in the tournament.

just pointin' out. : |
Pretty sure I heard his name called out a few times. Don't think he was there at the end though.

G4MER4LIFE

Smash Apprentice
pretty good...
yeah, sorry about the smashfests and all. russ has been hosting them cuz he has access to north housing. unfortunately, no one has been showing up. i assume you guys need a bit more notice for these things, am i right?

Yeah i haven't been playing much melee AT ALL soon b4 brawl came out. I just kinda gave up cuz every1 near me sucked ace. not you lol. But yeah do you still host them or what? Probably not though since brawl's out now and u said that not many ppl were coming to them anyways.

And what's this big a** tourney i see/hear about? You guys won over 9000 dollors? =o lol i mean 900 +_+ Whoever won that grub, gj. Was this like some BIG BIG last UMB or something? lol nvm...

Tony when u coming back ;_; i wanna melee it up with you. and then some brawl :p

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
dont know if anyone is interested, but we're playing holdem poker today and will probably be playing a lot lately. if you wannt come thru and get a shot at them big bucks, call me 313-903-1808

we doing one today, at 8-9 so hit me up.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
thax, how much do you guys play poker for? Let me know next time and I may be willing to come down and take everyone's money.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
we started off like 10 dollar buyins but we will probably up it to 20-30, but we need mroe people to show since i only know about 5 people including myself :-/

and shaun im still offering those 1 on 1 money matches ;)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
hmmm... I'm definitely up for that! Hopefully the next time you play, finals **** won't interfere.

And also, make sure you do it before April 22nd, cause I'm going back to Grand Rapids for the summer around then.

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i haven't been playing much melee AT ALL soon b4 brawl came out. I just kinda gave up cuz every1 near me sucked ace. not you lol. But yeah do you still host them or what? Probably not though since brawl's out now and u said that not many ppl were coming to them anyways.

And what's this big a** tourney i see/hear about? You guys won over 9000 dollors? =o lol i mean 900 +_+ Whoever won that grub, gj. Was this like some BIG BIG last UMB or something? lol nvm...

Tony when u coming back ;_; i wanna melee it up with you. and then some brawl :p
:sigh: :-( Sorry, y'all, but I really haven't been very faithful with advertising/hosting our "regular" events at LTU. Since I'm the only person who organizes them, if I'm gone there's nobody here and recently I've had some "issues" (ie taxes and junk) that I've had to go home for for the past few weeks. I've also not posted because Smash Boards has been responding like a **** recently and it's almost not worth it to read/post.
Anyway, after this week, I'll be at school for the next three weeks. Maybe we can do something then. If anyone's interested, IM me. Otherwise I'll just assume that nobody's coming (like usual) and not be down there in the lounge at all.
Also, unless someone brings a Wii, we'd be playing Melee.

G4MER4LIFE

Smash Apprentice
it's ok i've been busy myself too. Job and stuff. Does shawn still go to them when u DO have them? Just wondering. Or u said he went home i think, idk. But maybe you should quit having them. You know cuz brawl's out and all. UNLESS ppl still come to them idk. I'm not too sure if i'd be coming to another one. I've been busy a lot these days and stuff.

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
cough.....
Um, yeah, he shows up every once in a while (actually, he usually brings the cube!). Thanks for your interest! I'm really busy like every day of the week except Friday until 4pm (then anime club starts) and Saturday (and then only when I'm on campus). I don't plan on leaving the dorms until finals end around May 9th and then we all have to be out OUT of the dorms by then so that'll be it for any activities... We could potentially have an event during finals week because we only have 1 final per class so if I'm done with finals and/or am bored, we could do something then.
Actually, coming up on FRIDAY, May 2, the anime club here on campus will be having an all night party where we'll be watching anime and playing vid'ja games like brawl. Idk what all we'll be doing but it'll be fun!

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
Not that anyone here cares, but I think I'ma gon' main G&W in Brawl. I really likes him this time around. I think I'll also screw around with Metaknight, DK, and Rob. They nerf'd Gannondorf too much :`-(
-Russ

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Attn Everyone: There are 38 other characters in the game besides G+W and Metaknight.

Just don't expect to win with any of them =P
Attn Vayseth: Tiers exist in Brawl. They existed in Melee. Nobody's going to go easy on you for going mid/low/bottom tier. It's your own fault for making things harder on yourself.

Vayseth

Smash Master
d00d, I didn't even enter XD I've been in competitive gaming longer than you, so I know this full well. I just think it's funny that almost half of 1st seeds were metaknights and almost all of the 32 qualifiers either played G+W or Metaknight XD Not like I'm complaining, I just think it's funny how everyone is playing ONLY those two characters XD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A few people play ROB because he's an amazing sorta guy. Nobody plays Sheik because middle tier isn't as easy as top tier.

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
Wow... I really didn't think I'd get such a response. I only play those characters because I have fun with them! To heck with tiers and such. Smash is supposed to be about having fun and I think that some people loose sight of that a bit.

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... what was the whole idea of the "tier" system? I thought that that was just the frequency that tournament winners, etc play certain characters. Are the top tier characters necessarily the top played characters?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
>_>

DON'T READ THE WORDS BELOW IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT TIERS. THEY WON'T REALLY MATTER TO YOU.
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiers are compiled as a combination of popularity and how frequently the character wins in tournaments that sufficiently represent the competitive environment as a whole. Tier position is also influenced by predictions of the character's evolution of metagame.

For instance, Falco may not necessarily be the second best character in Melee, but he showed up a lot in tournaments and generally placed very high. Also, the tiers may have shifted over time since the tierlist was last made (summer of '06). For example, let's take MELEE-FC Diamond.
1st - Mew2King (Marth)
2nd - PC Chris (Falco/Fox)
3rd - Chu Dat (Ice Climbers)
4th - Drephen (Sheik)
5th - Vidjo (Peach)
5th - Taj (Marth/Mewtwo)
7th - DaShizWiz (Falco)
7th - Darkrain (Captain Falcon)

And *pound* 3, the last major Melee tournament.
1. Mango (Jigglypuff)
2. Mew2king (Marth)
3. PC Chris (Fox)
4. Cort (Peach)
5. Chu Dat (Ice Climbers)
5. Vidjogamer (Peach)
7. Azen (Marth)
7. Darkrain (Captain Falcon)

What's this? No Falco in the top 8? The closest was Forward, who placed 9th. And Mango won with Jigglypuff. So, yeah. Tier lists have for the most part been more of a guideline to which characters have seen more success and would possibly have more potential of winning. In Brawl, it might very well be separated into a "Top Tier" and a "Won't Win Tier," unfortunately, but that remains to be seen.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

tl;dr ver. tiers are kinda like a character ranking, but not really.

Top Bottom