• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best newcomer trailer?

What was the best newcomer trailer for Smash 4?

• Villager

• Mega Man

• Wii Fit Trainer

• Rosalina & Luma

• Little Mac

• Greninja

• Mii Fighter

• Palutena (+ Dark Pit)

• Pac-Man

• Lucina + Robin

• Shulk

• Bowser Jr.

• Duck Hunt

• Ryu

• Cloud

• Corrin

• Bayonetta

Results are only viewable after voting.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Now that we've seen every newcomer trailer for Smash 4, what do you think is the best one? NOTE: this thread isn't about how much hype you created with each one, but which one you thought had the best opening and gameplay in the trailer.

My top 3 is personally:
1. :4duckhunt:: that pixel- to HD-style thingy was really cool, if you ask me. The gameplay scenes were also funny (underwear Shulk part). Plus, the moment where the splash art came in... I liked that, ha ha.
2. :4corrin:: I liked the parts between Nohr and Hoshido, when they say things like "He's our brother." "No, he's mine!". I liked that this went through the whole trailer. The "Big brother is now big sister" quote was quite enjoyable.
3. :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: the fighting scenes between Saturo Iwata and Reggie Fils-Aime were really nice and very different from the other openings. I really liked that scene.

Which was your favorite?

One Punch Derk

Smash Cadet
I think Little Mac's trailer alone made me want to main him before the game was released. Funny how things turn out. He is still my best character after all this time.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I'll admit, I've only watched 6 trailers so far: Bowser Junior, Cloud, Lucina and Robin, Palutena, Corrin and Bayonetta, in that exact order. I watched Bowser Jr.'s at around the time the game was released, Cloud's, Corrin's and Bayonetta's all when they were released (of course, I watched the last 2 on the direct), and Lucina's and Palutena's out of curiosity when I was bored earlier this week. Out of those, Lucina's was my favourite, but I get the feeling I might be biased since I'm really enjoying Fire Emblem: Awakening and this game turned me into a massive Lucina fanboy, so my caveman brain instantly approves anything she's in.

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta had me the most hype, second would be Robins/Lucina and third would be Megaman

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm tempted to say Mii Fighters just because of Reggie vs. Iwata...
Mega Man's deserves a mention because it's Mega Man, so it was a good way to start up the Smash 4 hype train. I liked Corrin's intro cinematic since it was a direct play on a cutscene from FE: Fates, and it actually made me more interested in finding out more about that game's story. Pac-Man's was cool because it highlighted how Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man could all face off in a fighting game, and also did a good job of showcasing Pac-Man's interesting specials.
Ultimately, though, I had to go with Duck Hunt. The intro cinematic was just so well done (plus an awesome fourth wall break with the splash text nearly colliding with the dog and duck) and the gameplay itself showed off Duck Hunt's wacky moveset really creatively, even if it was post-release. Of course, it may just have something to do with Duck Hunt being one of my favorite newcomers this time around.

Last edited:

SuFiRo

Smash Rookie
NNID
UmRine
Between Little Mac and Robin/Lucina/Falcon, it's a tough choice.

Little Mac's really grabbed the essence of the character quite well, and made me want to main him (even though I had already planned to anyway if he made it to the game)

Lucina/Robin/Falcon's was really epic though. Seeing Falcon take on Lucina's sword with his bare hands and throwing supersonic punches will always be entertaining to me.

Might have to give the edge to Robin/Lucina/Falcon's. It announced TWO newcomers, plus my favorite returning veteran.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I liked the art direction with Little Mac's. Everything passed that felt too hype heavy to be likable after a while and Rosaluma's trailer left a bitter taste in my mouth:

Me: Return of Kirby Air Ride or Kirby in Mario Kart!?
Master Troll Samurai: lolnope, have Rosalina & Luma in Smash Bros.!
Me: Ok...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Even though Corrin's far from my favorite newcomer, I have to say their trailer was my favorite just because of how funny it was; it turned one of the hardest player-punching scenes that Nintendo's ever thrown into a moment of bizarre hilarity that made all the other characters go "...what the hell is even going on anymore?"

Bowser Jr.'s is a close second for making what was just a bratty half-pint look like a legitimate threat for the first time.

Last edited:

GemZ

Smash Rookie
Bayonetta.

With Cloud you knew what was coming due to the music

With Corrin the opening gave it away.

Bayonetta? They tricked you into thinking it was another Kid Icarus character, and only die hard fans knew it was Bayonetta right off the bat due to her voice. It had most on the edge of their seat till the true reveal. Sakurai also hinted at it when he said " This is the Climax "

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I guess I'll be the first to post Palutena because I loved the art style. Almost wanted her to be 2D like game and watch because of it. Does that make me a weeaboo?

I'd probably like Corrin's trailer more if the voices weren't so grating. Maybe I'll watch the Japanese version and see what I think. (Weeaboo alert again :p)

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Easily Ryu's.

Corrin's trailer was too cheesy.

Last edited:

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Lucina/Robin it's definitely my favourite, the initial fight between Lucina and Falcon interrupted by Robin was just perfect and I remember the day I first saw that trailer like it was yesterday, too much hype!

My second favourite is the Corrin one, the initial part which is identical from the one in is game is great.
The quotes "Big brother is now big sister! Wow, even better!" were also a nice touch at the end.

I also need to mention the "I'm really feeling it!" quote from the Shulk trailer which has started everything :4shulk:

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'd say Mega Mans was quite impactful, since the character means a bit to me.

The Mii trailer was hilariously over the top and I also enjoyed Bayos trailer, if only because I at first DREADED another KI character, but it turned out to be someone who murders angels (I cannot stand Pit).

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Cloud and Mega Man's trailers had the most impact for me, but especially Cloud's since it took me by complete surprise when I heard the Opening - Bombing Mission theme play

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina's trailer is easily my favorite and the most memorable in my opinion.

Robin and Lucina's was pretty epic.

Mega Man's made quite an impact.

Little Mac's made quite an entrance.

Cloud's blew me away like a hurricane with that ground breaking moment.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Palutena's is my favorite, because I'm just a sucker for her voice. Also I really liked the art direction (which is weird, because I don't like anime).

Greninja's was my second favorite, even though it's only because of the Charizard parts. He looks so badass.

Rosalina's is my third favorite because she was my most wanted newcomer, and I used to think she was impossible because of how new she was. I thought she would be an Assist Trophy at the most, and when I saw that trailer... Imagine the hype.

Furret24

Smash Master
Duck Hunt's my favorite. Mainly because he's the only newcomer I was really hyped for (Pacman too, but I didn't care for his reveal trailer).

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
LITTLE MAC for sure I got so hyped being a big punch-out fan and wishing and wishing for his inclusion in smash since 64s debut. I thought the trailer really fit smash hype train well and loved the Samus joke retained from brawls dojo days of his AT reveal. Hope he comes back in smash 5 if that day ever comes in the future

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
Cloud and Mega Man's trailers were both awesome. They both were leading to suspense at the beginning and shocked us once revealed. I love it when that happens, Smash or not

NewFoundAbility

Banned via Warnings
Dublin, CA 94568, bowing down before the Jlfksjlfl
NNID
NewFoundAbility
You only let me vote for one trailer, I'm with that, but if I may I want to add something to my vote --- which was Pac-Man's.

Here is my list of trailers that gave me different reactions:

:4bayonetta:- I wanted Rayman... Literally My Reaction When I Saw Her. (This is a good thing.)
But I'm totally fine with this! HELLO HYPE TRAIN!
:4pacman:- I predicted it a month in advance and when I saw the trailer I got beyond excited, like speechless. I started sketching pictures of him in school for days! Funny thing is I was so hyped I couldn't even say anything, like I was a bit more excited to say ''SEE! I WAS RIGHT!''. I was stunned I re-watched the trailer like 20 times.
:4lucas:- I'm crying just typing this; I had woken up by my timer going off for the Direct, thankfully, to a trailer that made me cry like my friend that was gone for so long comes back or something... :sadeyes: Thank you Sakurai for bringing him back.

Every other trailer was 'eh' like :4robinm::4robinf: / :4lucina:--- or spoiled for me, like :4cloud:...
Speaking of which, nobody will feel sorry for me, but I'm gonna tell this story anyways.

So I stood up all night because I couldn't sleep, as I normally do, and the direct was 4-5 hours away. So I just waited.
After saying up all night. So I waited for it to begin... The direct started -- I was watching this on my tablet which wasn't the best but better than my phone -- so I'm watching and waiting for something Smash. But you know what happens? THE DAMN THING FREEZES 3 MINUTES BEFORE THE CLOUD TRAILER STARTS (which by the way I wouldn't know if there was something Smash Bros. related or not, I still wanted to make sure, you know?). So I freak out and then give up as I couldn't do anything about it, then a few minutes later decide to go to YouTube in hopes of finding the Stream or something... But instead I get bombared with Cloud thumbnails in my subbox (f*ck you GameXplain.)
I honestly feel bad for kids who were in school during the other directs then coming home to get spoiled by thumbnails that remove all wonder of who it could be... Seriously. Why do people do that. :mad:

Last edited:

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings because they finally get the upper hand on Mario. I liked the fact that Mario uses his shield in a cinematic scene because I've never seen that before. I love that the Koopalings associate themselves with Bowser Jr and for once, they come across as threatening and not just push overs that Mario can stomp on.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
It's hard to pick because i really loved a lot of them, but i would say the top two are :4bayonetta: and :4duckhunt:

:4bayonetta: Was completely unexpected and the build up to her reveal was amazing and the subtle hints before the trailer was shown were really clever. The trailer did a great job of showcasing her moveset and there was so much attention to detail to keep her as close to her origins as possible while still making her feel like she belongs in smash. Her stage looks amazing as well and the fact that they put both designs from both games was really nice. It's hard to think of any other character that would have been a better way to end dlc in smash 4, sure theres k rool and isaac and dixie but they would have been so expected and it wouldnt have had the same impact as bayonetta because she was such a surprise

:4duckhunt:'s trailer was really well done, i wish it had been revealed in a direct or something before the game was released so it could have been a surprise, instead of seeing it after we already knew the whole cast. It made the character look so fun to play and everything about it was right starting with the 8-bit sequence, the jump into 3d, breaking the fourth wall, and all the cute/funny in game scenes. I really tried to like playing duck hunt when the game was released but unfortunately i just couldn't

:4palutena::4littlemac: And :rosalina: are all up there for me as well, :4megaman:'s was a good way to start the road to smash 4 but i have no attachment to the character so it didnt do much for me. :4villager: and :4wiifit: were funny and cute and :4miif: and :4greninja: were cool, but none of them were as exciting as the other ones listed before to me. :4corrin::4robinm:/:4lucina::4bowserjr::4shulk::4pacman::4cloud::4ryu: All had good moments in their trailers but they didnt do much for me, although i was really happy shulk and pac man got in because i love their games

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Palutena had my favourite trailer because of the awesome fight between Pit and Link. I would love an anime just like that.

Shulk probably was the best for me overall though, because I wasn't excited for him until I watched the trailer and it made me interested in both his moveset and his character. I really love them all though.

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
I loved :4lucas: trailer the most, there were references to mother 3 so if you played it you'd understand some parts of the trailer.
:4corrin: same reason as you
:4cloud: Gotta love the build up and the music! And references to FFVII, like the part where Cloud is knocked out on the ground and Zelda is crouching next to him with a flower, most likely representing Aerith, and the part where Cloud takes the motor cycle from Wario, most likely representing this:https://www.youtube.com/watchv=DivER5tgVzc
:4megaman: and :4littlemac: were also good.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'd have to say :4megaman:. I've always wanted to see some form of Mega Man in Smash since the SSBB days. After seeing his reveal and all the cool stuff he could do, I was sold. Not to mention he comes from one of my favorite series ever.

Honorable mentions:

:rosalina:: The trailer didn't start out in typical Smash fashion, which made me think Kirby x Mario Kart was totally happening(which really should to be honest).

:4littlemac:: Not really a Punch-Out fan, but I was digging the cool comic-book style his trailer had.

:4robinm:: Ah, the trailer that taught us that if you can't survive a Falcon Punch you ain't getting into Smash.:troll: But seriously, it was awesome seeing him bring his powerful tomes with him into Smash. And bonus points for the Awakening-styled opening.

:4mii:: I don't like Miis much, but no one can deny that seeing Reggie and Iwata going at each other was entertaining.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
You couldnt beat the megaman trailer. with the music and rendering, I still watch it even today. Even though I dont play as him I recognize a good trailer when i see it. (Im looking at you most recent official Batman v Superman trailer... grumble ..grumble)

Top Bottom