• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Aura is Mine!" Lucario Social Thread! (With More Moderators!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I posted this in the Genesect thread, but I felt it applies here too.

My theory about Mewtwo appearing in Genesect's movie seems to be more plausible.
Or at least this next thing is hinting at a appeance in the anime sometime soon.

http://www.pocketmonsters.net/ib/threads/3285

There are styluses based on Pokemon with recent important appearances.
Pikachu-Do you really have to guess why?
Eevee-Owned by one of Ash's rivals from the Unova Cup, who has a whole Team Eevee, with an unevolved Eevee as the leader.
Charizard-The poster for the N arc hints at Ash's Charizard making a return.
Dragonite-Iris' Dragonite. The stylus art even has the angry face.
Genesect-Presumably a main point within the new arc as hinted by the poster, as well as the star of the upcoming movie.
and....Mewtwo?

What has Mewtwo got to do with all of this? Is he to appear in the new arc in some way? Is he going to be a star of the upcoming movie?
IS MEWTWO VS. GENESECT GOING TO BE REAL?

One thing's for sure, no matter what happens, if Mewtwo wasn't extremely likely to return to Smash already, he is surefire for Smash at this point. Maybe Genesect will follow suit to drag their supposed rivalry there.

EDIT: And on a non Genesect or Mewtwo related note, I'm also willing to bet that Charizard and Dragonite are going to be rivals. :laugh:

EDIT 2: Well, this one kind of furthers that point, with the two appearing on the same projector ball.
http://www.pocketmonsters.net/ib/threads/3288
But aside from that...is that....LUCARIO? Seems he isn't so likely to be removed if he's still so marketable. Although, there is the fact that another of Ash's rivals from the Unova Cup has a Riolu....and it's pretty much confirmed that it's going to evolve in two weeks during their battle.
Another interesting fact is that the Pokemon Smash! television show in Japan, which had formerly had the Zoroark costume replace the Lucario costume of the former Pokemon Sunday show, just recently re-replaced the two. That's right; Zoroark was replaced by Lucario on the show.

Could it really be that Mewtwo fans and Lucario fans finally don't have to worry anymore?
Smash 4 will have Mewtwo, Lucario, and Genesect. You heard from me first.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Smash 4 will have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (which are 3 characters in one), Mewtwo, Lucario and Genesect?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So Smash 4 will have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (which are 3 characters in one), Mewtwo, Lucario and Genesect?
if not Genesect, then Zoroark or Victini, but all those veterans should return.

basically, keep all the characters from Brawl, add a Gen V rep and make Mewtwo return.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's 8 total playable Pokemon, you know that?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That's 8 total playable Pokemon, you know that?
So? :troll:

If any series were to get 8 characters, it would be either Mario or Pokemon. And if you want to be technical/pedantic, you could consider all the Yoshi, DK, and Wario characters as Mario characters. But I agree, 8 is a bit much, and I don't think Genesect is terribly likely.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

If any series were to get 8 characters, it would be either Mario or Pokemon. And if you want to be technical/pedantic, you could consider all the Yoshi, DK, and Wario characters as Mario characters. But I agree, 8 is a bit much, and I don't think Genesect is terribly likely.
even without a Gen V Pokémon, having the four in Brawl plus Mewtwo, is a fair representation. I mean, we have series mascot Pikachu, the playable character Pokémon Trainer, who has one of the most popular Pokémon, Charizard, Mewtwo and Lucario are both very popular Pokémon and Jigglypuff is popular in Japan and still one of the most recognized Pokémon worldwide.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Not the Donkey Kong characters. Not in my book.

So if Yoshi and Wario are 'Mario' characters now, and the actual Mario series get a new character in say, Toad, it'd still be 7 vs 8.

8 is acceptable in Pokemon's case I guess, but it's still pushing it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not the Donkey Kong characters. Not in my book.
Why not? DK started out as a Mario antagonist, and he and Diddy are recurring characters in most Mairo spinoffs(especially Mario Kart). Maybe Mario spin-off character would bea better term.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Why not? DK started out as a Mario antagonist, and he and Diddy are recurring characters in most Mairo spinoffs(especially Mario Kart). Maybe Mario spin-off character would bea better term.
Technically DK and Mario came from the same game(Donkey Kong Arcade) and split into their respective series after the whole "DK v.s Mario" games were done. This is why I consider them different series. Neither DK or Mario's main series even feature each other. Neither series really has dominance over the other. Yoshi's games are basically a Mario dominated storyline with Mario characters. Wario has actually separated from the Mario series(Warioware, Wario Land etc...) but for all intensive purposes in Smash he can, like Yoshi be counted as a Mario character when convenient because neither are likely to get anymore character representation for their individual series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cause the original game was called after DK, not Mario. ;) And it starred them BOTH. Ever since DKC, Donkey Kong has been a full-edged own franchise where the Mario universe holds no importance in, unlike say Yoshi's Island which is full of Shy Guys and the like. Wario was also litterally a boss in a Mario platform game, and was created after Mario got in his own way. Only recently I would argue Wario is somehow getting there in terms of being his own franchise with WarioWare, but even there Mario appears to leave his influeneces.

So no, the only thing DK and Mario share are their roots at the arcade game. The fact that DK and Diddy appear in SOME sport / cameo games doesn't make them Mario characters.
Also, I don't acknowlegde Mario vs Donkey Kong, as it's an abomination in creation.

peeup

Smash Lord
Let's talk more about DK and Mario in the Lucario forum.

But seriously folks, if Lucario wasnt in sm4sh would people be as upset as they were about mewtwo getting cut?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Let's talk more about DK and Mario in the Lucario forum.

But seriously folks, if Lucario wasnt in sm4sh would people be as upset as they were about mewtwo getting cut?
I think there would be people upset there are always people upset when their preffered character doesn't make more appearances, but I don't think it'd be on the same level as Mewtwo or Roy.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I think there would be people upset there are always people upset when their preffered character doesn't make more appearances, but I don't think it'd be on the same level as Mewtwo or Roy.
I have to disagree with you. Lucario was one of the most popular pokemon when he was revealed, and I'd argue he's still on the level of titans like Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo. I hate to say it, but if Roy hadn't gotten into Melee, there would be very little support for him besides him being a niche Fire Emblem character due to the Sword of Seals (like Micaiah). Lucario doesn't suffer the same, he was popular before and after Smash. He also has a unique playstlye. So, if he's cut, he's basically Mewtwo (popularity) and Roy (playstyle) combined. So, I'd argue there would be even more outcry.

D

Deleted member

I posted this in the Genesect thread, but I felt it applies here too.

Smash 4 will have Mewtwo, Lucario, and Genesect. You heard from me first.
I hope you're right. I already have a good feeling about Lucario and Mewtwo returning, Genesect would perfect the roster with the delicious icing. :)

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I hope you're right. I already have a good feeling about Lucario and Mewtwo returning, Genesect would perfect the roster with the delicious icing. :)
if this happens, I will officially heading to the competitive scence of Smash Bros. Seeing those rivalries will make me want to master all 3 of them. Hopefully all 3 for the TOP Tier.

:phone:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
They better not go overboard with the whole "graceful martial artist" theme they gave him in this game. Lucario needs more MANLY fighting type attacks.
What if instead they change his gender in the next game? Have you guys ever considered that?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So I couldn't help but notice Pikachu and Jiggs get sweet headgear, but lucario doesn't. I'd like to see them give him something like that for his alt colors next game.

I wouldn't care if it got in or not but it'd be a nice touch. Maybe a scarf. Pair of headphones or a Sir Aaron hat?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Roy's defence, he's the only single lord in the GBA Fire Emblem games. And his game marked the revival of the series in Japan, so he could have some Japan support if he wasn't in Melee. But yeah, most of his support come from Melee fans, not really Fire Emblem games.

Gotta stay on topic, cause it's the LUCARIO board afterall so... Lemme say, I want Lucario to stay. Innitially I was pretty upset Lucario made it over Mewtwo in Brawl. But now I view it as more positive. Maybe cause of what they did to him in Project M? Cause really, I hope they take away his Aura gimmick. If Lucario always played like he was at like, 70~80%, I would probably like him more.

Browny

Smash Hater
They better not go overboard with the whole "graceful martial artist" theme they gave him in this game. Lucario needs more MANLY fighting type attacks.
huh
Also make more use of his aura and also not make his aura weaken him :3
wat
I just don't like it because its based off of nothing.
?_?
The aura gimmic didnt really make a noticeable difference.
Sounds like someone hasnt played vs a Lucario main in tournament before
I'm surprised with the multitude of arguments against aura. Aura is what defines Luc. The way he can come back from 100% even stronger than he was originally makes him an epic comeback fighter.

It can be annoying how he has trouble three stocking on the flip side, but I consider it a fair price to pay.

What he really needs fixed is his awful ES. Change that garbage to a damaging "aura hop" or something.

And since when is Luc supposed to be slow ? I don't mind his floatyness (in fact it helps with mind games etc.), but he needs some nice, quick close range moves.

His unique aura ability making him a comeback fighter makes Luc an unforgettable character, SSBB4 being no acception.

Thats better...

I wrote entire essays on this thing. Aura is what defines Lucario. I hate it when people talk about Lucario as a character, and Aura as some game mechanic as separate entities. NO. Lucario does not exist without Aura, and Aura applies to no other character. I coulda killed people here who used to claim that 'oh marth beats lucario because without his aura hes slower, less range, less KO power' to which I could easily claim 'without marths sword, he wouldnt do any damage on any attacks except throws'. Its just as dumb. Its not based off nothing, where did that come from? Why dont I just argue that the entire character of G&W and ROB are based off nothing? Sure in the game or movies Aura didnt make him stronger as he took damage, but why is that a rule that it must follow through to smash? Since when are smash characters true to their original self, only about half of them are. Heck, a number of characters in this roster dont actually fight like... ever. Meanwhile people call for Geno, starfy etc to be in smash lol.

Anyway the point is that mechanic isnt going to change. And its what makes Lucario unique, no character in smash has it and its not going to go away. And IMO it was balanced brilliantly. He's mid-high tier and requires exceptional DI skills and patience to play well, without it hes honestly bad. Its a great balance.

Its a bit much to suggest they would change the way a character plays, such as changing his graceful martial arts style and floatyness, when theres pretty much no reason to (and the addition that no smash character veterans have their general moveset and style changed up).

I just *really* dont like it when people complain about Aura, for any reason. Its just pointless trying to separate the character from his defining trait. You might as well complain about Link using projectiles or a sword, he should be a bare knuckles fighter.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think Lucario's safe. Mewtwo was cut at the very last minute, and Smash 4 will have the longest development time of any smash games.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I must object.
The aura mechanic is not what makes him good.
It muddles up what otherwise would be one of the most balanced character in the game.

MU's like DDD and Snake are skewed in there favor, merely because they can kill earlier. It becomes an uphill battle for the lucario players to make a comeback if they end up getting the first kill. On the flip side, characters that lack the ability to kill like Peach and Toon link end up having a much harder time catching up. Majority of his MU's would be much more even if the aura mechanic was not in play.

Without Aura, lucario still has the tools to function as a character, and one that rewards good play. He remains a versatile character with good range, disjoint, hitstun, and shield stun. While none of his options are the best in the game, he has decent options for almost any given situation.

Also yes. I understand where you're coming from.
But understand where i'm coming from as well.

Adding a mechanic based on absolutely nothing the character does in any of his source games seems kinda dumb. Especially one that effects the outcome of battle so drastically.

Hell, what if they made Jigglypuff lighter the more she got hit because "LOL IT'S SMASH!"

I coulda killed people here who used to claim that 'oh marth beats lucario because without his aura hes slower, less range, less KO power'
Aside from the Aurasphere hitbox, none of lucario's moves actually get any alteration depending on what percentage he's at.

Aura effects Shieldstun, Shield damage, shield pushback, damage and knockback.

arouund 70/80% aura, lucario gets a healthy combination of these things that make the majority of his moves safe when spaced correctly, still let him combo, and give him decent kill power. He'd be around the same place on the tierlist. Only difference being his MU's would be a little more evened out.

------------------

Sorry for the lengthy post
I wouldn't have replied but the whole "Lucario would be crap without it" line got me.

You find it dumb that such an influential trait should be taken away next smash game.
I find it dumb that a single trait shapes how my characters plays, or was even implemented in the first place.

Potato/Potado

No disrespect to how you feel, but it's just one of those things that can be seen as "Glass half full/Glass half empty"

There is one thing we agree on though.
I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be bothered if they took it away next smash.
Not because I like the idea of it.
Just because I'm so use to it by now.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its impossible to judge his viability without aura though.

One could say without aura, all his attacks are at his equivalent 0 stock modifier @ 70%. Well I could say no, his default power is at 110%. someone else could say 50%. He could go from bottom tier to broken tier, all depending on what is assumed his base power. Because by saying he would be one of the most balanced, you are assuming some % probably around the 70% mark.

But then if we do that, hes lost almost all his combo-ability and is some just single heavy-hitting character who hits too far to combo, but still too weak to KO early. They would have to revamp his smash attacks to be more powerful and his moves like jab, force palm, fair to be weaker.

His entire character and move set was built around aura. Every single aspect of Lucario is based on it. To remove it would require a total change to how he plays, which would be boring tbh.

---

Also I swear, NOTHING is more funnier than playing against people as Lucario and they dont grasp the concept of increased sheildstun on his attacks. The amount of idiots who raged at me because they thought they could punish dair on their shield, or fsmash on shield when I was at high Aura only to be hit again was hilarious. I hope they never remove it. That noob factor made him so hilariously fun to play.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
...Well I just got done writing a **** ton of words in favor of my view point.

But I saw what you posted about shield stun and it made me smile quite a bit. <3

Mmmmkay~! <3
I guess i'd be pretty bummed if they balanced lucario out and I wouldn't get cute little gimmicks like that, or insanely long low percent combo's.
Even with a redesign.

Even if he did end up a stronger character, aura really does add a little extra spice to him. <3

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I can't believe how people keep saying that Lucario and Zoroark is too close to each other that they will 100% be changed lol
When you think of move ability you can see that Lucario is more of a real fighter type whil Zoroark is coping everyone else, by transforming into them.. So Say he is the cooler edition of Ditto... Still like Lucario better as a fighting game character!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai likes his character mechanics. If Lucario returns, I bet he will have the aura mechanic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate the Aura mechanic. Why not make his Down B Reversal instead?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hate the Aura mechanic. Why not make his Down B Reversal instead?
Although I dislike the Aura mechanic as well, I don't want it to be removed entirely. It gives him a higher learning curve, a different flavour.

With Mewtwo almost a guarentee, keeping his aura would help him further differentiate him from Mewtwo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Mewtwo and Lucario aren't much alike in the first place. The only attacks they share is their Neutral B and Forward Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom