• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Angel's code: Pit and Dark Pit Moveset and Technique Guide (All Important KO%s!)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Apologies in advance if this is untidy, I'm gathering data and formating.

Anyway, as the title implies, this is a guide for the angels' moves and techniques. When I say techniques, I mean every technique that either of them can make use of. But first, I'll cover their moves.

Moves

For those who don't know, our two angels are largely the same. As in, most moves are exactly the same. It's just the arrows and the Arms that are different, along with the associated customs. If you find a difference/something wrong, I want you to be absolutely sure, because there's been tons of misinformation surrounding Dark Pit since we've gotten the game. Credit goes to @Katakiri for finding %s for most of the angels' moves, and the complete KO %s are coming soon.

Oh, and the KO%s are against Mario on FD, center (right below the respawn) and then the side. (Where he starts/ends up after hitting reset.)

Jab/Dash Attack/Tilts

123 Jab
2%, 2%, 5%
KO%s 229%, 229%
Notes: Hold A when you want to perform the move, as tapping often results in an infinite jab.

Infinite Jab
2%, 2%, 1%, 1%,... 2% (10% for minimum length if everything hits)
KO%s 269%, 216%

Dash Attack
11%
KO%s 258%, 258%

Utilt
5%, 5% (sweetspot)
2%, 5% (sourspot)
Sweet KO%s 183%, 183%
Sour KO%s 186%, 186%
Note: Sweetspot is right next to our angels, apparently does 8% to somebody on BF's platform.

Ftilt
10% (tipper)
7% (sourspot)
Tipper KO%s 163%, 134%
Sour KO%s 223%, 184%
Note: Right next to them is a blind spot where he'll step past the average opponent.

Dtilt
6%
KO%s 493%, 447%
Note: Can whiff if too close, but it's highly unlikely. Unconfirmed if it spikes.

Aerials

Nair
0.6% x7 Hits, 4% (8%)
KO%s 314%, 254%

Uair
2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%
KO%s 171%, 171%
Notes: KO% tested with Mario on Battlefield's middle platforms, as doing it without is inconsistent. Utilt still KOs at 183 on the main platform, so it should be consistent.

Fair
1.5%, 1.5%, 4%
KO%s 204%, 169%
Notes: Tested via Super Leaf.

Dair
10%
KO%s 220%, 220%
Notes: Spikes in the middle of the swing. Appears to have three distinct knockback angles at the beginning, middle, and end of the swing. Data is currently about the end of the swing, more testing later.

Bair
12% (tipper)
8% (sour)
KO%s 165%, 137% (tipper)
KO%s 225%, 225% (sour)
Notes: KO% Tested via Super Leaf.

Smashes

Usmash
2%, 3%, 8.334%
KO%s 125%, 125%

Fsmash
5.1556%, 10.1556%
KO%s 121%, 98%

Dsmash
12.3334% (forward and back sweetspots?)
10% (sourspot on both swings) [check for decimal damage]
KO%s 165%, 152% (front)
KO%s 145%, 121% (back)
Notes: Sourspot on both is the tip of the blades, doesn't appear to effect knockback.

Throws and Pummel

Pummel
2%

Uthrow
4%, 7%
KO%s 211%, 211%

Fthrow
6%, 4%
KO%s 164%, 206%

Dthrow
2%, 4%
KO%s Negligible

Bthrow
8%
KO%s 286%, 232%

Getup Attacks

Ledge Getup
7%
KO%s negligible

More to come.

Specials: Shared

Uspecial 1
0%
Notes: Ledge snaps in the later half, and reaches all the way from the bottom platform of Tomadachi to just above the rail in the background. Can be angled, can nearly go horizontal but no lower.

Uspecial 2
9%
KO%s Around 140%, ?%
Notes: Ledge snaps in later half, and reaches from the bottom of Tomadachi to almost the top platform. Can be angled, but only diagonally. Notably slower startup.

Dspecial 1
0%
Notes: Blocks incoming attacks and reflects projectiles at 1.5 times damage. Pushes those like they were pushed by a character, but much stronger. Can be broken by a somewhat charged Ike Fsmash, and takes 15 seconds to regenerate. More definite data coming soon.

Dspecial 2
5%
KO%s about 150%, ?%
Notes: Doesn't block anything, hitbox only exists at the beginning of the move, can't be held out, likely cannot be broken.

Dspecial 3
0%
Notes: 2.0 reflector (?), more easily broken. More to come.

Specials: Pit's

Nspecial 1
3.334% (Uncharged)
8.5% (Fully Charged)
Notes: Can be controlled with the analog stick, goes in the direction pressed. Turns sharper with less charge, and goes further with more.

Sspecial 1
11%
KO%s 142%, 142%
Notes: Has Super Armor (the SSB kind, not the KIU kind) on most of the dashing forward animation.

More to come.

Specials: Dark Pit's

Nspecial 1
3.8% (Uncharged)
10.5% (Fully Charged)
Notes: Can be weakly controlled, basically just enough to hit those with low crouches. Easier to control with less charge, goes further with more.

Sspecial 1
11.5%
KO%s 184%, 136%
Notes: Has Super Armor (the SSB kind, not KIU) on most of the dashing animation.

More to come.

Techniques & Miscellaneous

Bow notes/Bow Walking?

Shooting up has less lag for Pit, not taking into account the time taken to lift up the bow. This is because it's the Brawl animation, along with the rest of the bow turning animations.

More importantly, our angels can only shoot when the old arrow is gone/changed ownership. Otherwise they won't even play an animation.

So there's an incredibly small window of time where you can walk between shots, and even more of one when firing up. Basically I'm saying you need TAS fingers to make use of this in any meaningful way, and anything less will give you pixels of movement. It's worth writing down incase something else is discovered, at any rate.

All discovered by @ LancerStaff LancerStaff

Bow Dancing

Effect: Stalling out a fully charged arrow for as long as you want by rapidly changing stance.
Requirements: Pit or Dark Pit.
How to: Either tap left and right (the easiest) or up in a rhythm to "dance." Since you can't turn and shoot, you'll hold on until you stop dancing.
Found by: @ LancerStaff LancerStaff found it himself in SSB4, and needs to figure out who found it in Brawl.

Bowdoken Low Shot

Effect: Easily fire an arrow low on the more controlable shots.
Requirements: Pit's Nspecial 1, either Nspecial 2.
How to: Either press downforward to forward when/after firing (the easiest), or just press downforward really quickly when/after firing.
Notes: Technically applies to any direction and can be reaimed slightly up in the same fashion, but the main use is hitting low crouchers.
Found by: @ LancerStaff LancerStaff

Easy ledge snap

Effect: Grab the ledge instead of overshooting an Uspecial without falling a ways to compensate.
How to: Aim for the wall below the ledge, hitting the side of the stage, and you'll slowly slide up to the ledge and grab on as soon as possible. Possible on any Omega stage, including oddballs like Brinstar, Arena Ferox, and Flatzone 2.
Found by: @ LancerStaff LancerStaff

To Do List (You can help too!)

Hey look, Important things!

Pictures!
Frame data!

Banner. (I'm no artist lol, no way I'll do it.)
Test Dair's knockback hitboxes and KO%S.
Dthrow's KO%s.
Back and front getup attacks' %.
Uspecial 3's distance.
Dspecial and Dspecial 3's properties.
Uspecial and Dspecial 2's KO%s.
Bow and Arm custom specials in general.
Write ups for techniques. (Ex: Roll Cancel Grab)
Charged attack KO%s.
Default Arm air-attack data.

Hey look, who cares?

Dthrow's KO%s.
Getups' KO%s.
Final Smash info.
Write more KIU jokes into the guide.

That's it for now. Thoughts, questions, corrections, or contributions?

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff , could I please have permission to use some of this information you have found for my guide/analysis on Reddit? I would give credit to you for everything included.

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
Hey all! My brother @DJWON discovered an interesting technique that can be implemented by both Pit/DP users, and I've begun to verify it with testing both in game and in practice. If not discovered already, this could be a great addition to the thread:

Jump-Cancel Arm (JC SideB)
Characters
: Pit, Dark Pit
Premise: Reduces endlag on a side-B attempt that does not connect. Makes for earlier reaction or movement out of side-B dash.
Technique: Perform sideB immediately after jumping - can be performed by quickly running thumb over Y->B while holding forward for near instant effect. If sideB does not connect with hurtbox/shield, Pit/DP slides upon coming into contact with ground, Upperdash/Electroshock arm disappears upon contact with ground.
Effect: Results haven't been quantified yet (empirical frame comparison will do so), but a non-hitting JC-sideB has a significantly smaller amount of endlag than a non-hitting grounded sideB, allowing Pit/DP to perform options such as
-Shield, Grab, Roll, Dash away
-Jab, tilt attacks, smash attacks
-Pivot ftilt, pivot fsmash, turnaround grab
marginally faster than out of a non-hitting grounded sideB
Application of JCsideB upon hit can be useful as well, as Pit/DP go into the air upon hit on hurtbox/shield. Descent trajectory can be mixed up to keep opponent guessing, and descent can be cancelled with platform contact (e.g. Battlefield) to make for follow-up positioning.
Summary: While concrete testing must be performed to quantify this technique in terms of frames, JCsideB can be used as a marginally safe application of sideB in general. If failed to connect, one may perform options out of its endlag earlier; and if connected, one may position themselves to increase their advantage or avoid an opponent's follow-up accordingly.

Definitely try it out, and post your thoughts and comments, as they're all appreciated. Hope it's useful - thanks all!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hey all! My brother @DJWON discovered an interesting technique that can be implemented by both Pit/DP users, and I've begun to verify it with testing both in game and in practice. If not discovered already, this could be a great addition to the thread:

Jump-Cancel Arm (JC SideB)
Characters
: Pit, Dark Pit
Premise: Reduces endlag on a side-B attempt that does not connect. Makes for earlier reaction or movement out of side-B dash.
Technique: Perform sideB immediately after jumping - can be performed by quickly running thumb over Y->B while holding forward for near instant effect. If sideB does not connect with hurtbox/shield, Pit/DP slides upon coming into contact with ground, Upperdash/Electroshock arm disappears upon contact with ground.
Effect: Results haven't been quantified yet (empirical frame comparison will do so), but a non-hitting JC-sideB has a significantly smaller amount of endlag than a non-hitting grounded sideB, allowing Pit/DP to perform options such as
-Shield, Grab, Roll, Dash away
-Jab, tilt attacks, smash attacks
-Pivot ftilt, pivot fsmash, turnaround grab
marginally faster than out of a non-hitting grounded sideB
Application of JCsideB upon hit can be useful as well, as Pit/DP go into the air upon hit on hurtbox/shield. Descent trajectory can be mixed up to keep opponent guessing, and descent can be cancelled with platform contact (e.g. Battlefield) to make for follow-up positioning.
Summary: While concrete testing must be performed to quantify this technique in terms of frames, JCsideB can be used as a marginally safe application of sideB in general. If failed to connect, one may perform options out of its endlag earlier; and if connected, one may position themselves to increase their advantage or avoid an opponent's follow-up accordingly.

Definitely try it out, and post your thoughts and comments, as they're all appreciated. Hope it's useful - thanks all!
I've noticed this, but I haven't said anything because the difference, if at all, is microscopic. It definitely looks faster, but that's sadly about it. I've come up with a way to compare the length of two moves. There's a frame advance mode of sorts in training. What I do is set it to 1/2 speed, hold the imput to an action, and click L repeatedly while holding R. You'll know the move is over when you see the shield, so you just count how many clicks it took for the shield to appear. I've gotten to the point where it's just a difference of one or two clicks, so it's just a few frames in reality. The big thing is choosing KO potential or being comparitively safe.

Riverside J

Smash Rookie
Was Practicing with Pit last night and I was trying out the Fast Fall mechanic to see how it worked. On some moves like Nair, Air Back +A (excuse me if I'm saying any of this wrong, if I am please correct me), and Air Down+A, I got some pretty interesting results.

For one, Nair recovers very fast and when I applied Fast Fall to it, I was able to grab an opponent as soon as I landed. This was due to me fast falling in the middle of the attack, so the final hit of Nair didn't knock the opponent away, instead they landed right next to me. Pit recovered before they did and I was able to grab them right after.

For Air Back +A (When Pit does a thrust with his blades behind him in the air), I would do a Down Throw and preform Air Back+A then Fast Fall when they were in hitstun. I would recover very fast and then I was able to land a Up Smash or another follow up, which I wasn't able to do so before. I went online and tired this in matches and though I have a good record with Pit already I was preforming better due to me being able to keep players on defense once I landed any of the moves I just listed.

So all in all, my question is is this the way combos are sped up in a Smash game? I know this isn't Melee where L-canceling and Wavedashing will extend your combos or movement options, but this is working wonders for my Pit, and with moves that recover quickly I'm able to maintain a strong air and ground game. If any one can give me more insight on this, that would be great.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I had an interesting experience with the upperdash arm where I KO'd a Greninja at 88%? (There was the lightning effect and all too).
I thought upperdash arm KO'd at around 140?
Also I don't think rage effect had much to do with it because I was only at 54%
Any Ideas?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I found another, quite odd, difference between Pit and Dark Pit. Pit's forward tilt does considerably more base knockback than Dark Pit's; this is mostly obvious when doing multi-man as Pit's ftilt will one shot the Fighting Mii Team while Dark Pit's will not. It does carry over to the kill percentages, but given that in training mode against a Dark Pit in the middle of FD Pit's ftilt kills at 221% while Dark Pit's kills at 258%, neither is a terribly useful kill move (it's a lot more important at low percents to buy space; Pit's is good at this while Dark Pit's seems like an overall just horrible move). I checked all of their other ground normals, and they all seem identical with just ftilt base knockback being different to regular Pit's advantage so if Dark Pit has some compensating advantage on some other move it must be on an aerial or a throw but I really don't know and could honestly believe that it's an oversight.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I had an interesting experience with the upperdash arm where I KO'd a Greninja at 88%? (There was the lightning effect and all too).
I thought upperdash arm KO'd at around 140?
Also I don't think rage effect had much to do with it because I was only at 54%
Any Ideas?
Maybe the pokemon Type effectiveness is back or you were really close to the blast zone

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
It was at ground level on final destination :o
and what type would the upperdash arm be? :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I found another, quite odd, difference between Pit and Dark Pit. Pit's forward tilt does considerably more base knockback than Dark Pit's; this is mostly obvious when doing multi-man as Pit's ftilt will one shot the Fighting Mii Team while Dark Pit's will not. It does carry over to the kill percentages, but given that in training mode against a Dark Pit in the middle of FD Pit's ftilt kills at 221% while Dark Pit's kills at 258%, neither is a terribly useful kill move (it's a lot more important at low percents to buy space; Pit's is good at this while Dark Pit's seems like an overall just horrible move). I checked all of their other ground normals, and they all seem identical with just ftilt base knockback being different to regular Pit's advantage so if Dark Pit has some compensating advantage on some other move it must be on an aerial or a throw but I really don't know and could honestly believe that it's an oversight.
Yeah, we've known...

Guys, I've been sidetracked left and right lately. And the fact that I haven't copy-pasted everything over to a real guide has been keeping me from doing smaller updates. I'll be sure to get everything in order by next Monday.

It was at ground level on final destination :o
and what type would the upperdash arm be? :p
Not entirely sure what's up myself. Upperdash only KOs Greninja at 135-ish in training, so it's probably not the freshness bonus. He might of accidentally VIed up or something...

D

Deleted member

Could you add in a spoiler in the "Techniques and Miscellaneous" of all compiled differences between Pit and Dark Pit? I know about the Ftilt, side special, and neutral special, but it might be helpful for those who need more information. Anything different, even if its only a part of a percent or a different KO percent should go there to clear up any misconceptions.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Could you add in a spoiler in the "Techniques and Miscellaneous" of all compiled differences between Pit and Dark Pit? I know about the Ftilt, side special, and neutral special, but it might be helpful for those who need more information. Anything different, even if its only a part of a percent or a different KO percent should go there to clear up any misconceptions.
The original plan was to just have their specials separate, since we believed those were the only differences. But now there's his Ftilt. I'll think of something when I get around to rehauling this thing.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
-Pit's Striking Flight K.O. Percents-
Damage: 9%
Center: 166%
CPU Spawn: 133%

-Pit's Down Throw K.O. Percents-
Damage: 6%
Center: 419%-440%
CPU Spawn: 419%-440%
*K.O. percentage varies wildly based on opponent's VI, but 430% regularly K.O.s with no VI input.

Edit: Some of your information is off.
In particular, Up Tilt and Up Smash are in need of fixing, maybe others.
Check my "REAL Differences" topic for those two.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
-Pit's Striking Flight K.O. Percents-
Damage: 9%
Center: 166%
CPU Spawn: 133%

-Pit's Down Throw K.O. Percents-
Damage: 6%
Center: 419%-440%
CPU Spawn: 419%-440%
*K.O. percentage varies wildly based on opponent's VI, but 430% regularly K.O.s with no VI input.

Edit: Some of your information is off.
In particular, Up Tilt and Up Smash are in need of fixing, maybe others.
Check my "REAL Differences" topic for those two.
Yeah, I know... Things are still busy for me. If I don't get the guide thing figured out by the time SSBU comes along, I'll finally just update the thing.

Top Bottom