• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Abe Lincoln: Luigi's Gimp

Vudujin

Smash Lord
The Abe Lincoln is a move that can be pulled off to gimp mainly Fox and Falco, but it does work on other characters like Falcon, Ganon, and a few others.

The initial set-up for the move, against fox and falco, works by getting them off of the ledge, and depending on how they recover determines your next move. . . .

If they use the illusion and are slightly above the ledge, just shoot a fireball just quick enough to stop them before they reach the ledge, from there you wavedash forward off of tge ledge facing your opponent, by now they drop from the fireball and are forced to do the fire fox, or fire bird thingy. . . anchor yourself so your slightly above them, but can still grab the ledge; as soon as they start going vertical, do a reverse up-b. Luigi will turn around and grab the ledge, and because they will only get hit by the one coin (one coin i.e. penny, hence the name Abe Lincoln), which has virtually no knockback, causes them to drop and plummet to their death.

If you think they are going to sweet spot the ledge with the illusion, wavedash off the ledge, and then shoot the fireball so it's level with them, you should still be able to get them with the coin.

It's important that you force Fox or Falco out of the forward b phase and into a fire fox phase, the gimp doesn't work very well on the illusion, and with falco you usually will get spiked, thus being reverse-gimped.

Once you get the timing down you'll find out when you can and can't pull it off, and when you do just shout "ABE LINCOLN" to the heavens.

I'll have some videos of its application soon, in case i didn't explain it well enough.
Happy gimping to all the fellow Luigi smashers

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
*insert mewtwo taunt*

If you can hit fox or falco with a fireball and they drop, thats great.. but just fair/dair him. Its must more effective/safer and its not often that they end up directly under the stage waiting for the Shoryuken.

If you know they're going to sweetspot and you have enough time to wavedash off the ledge and fireball them for an attempt at an epic Shoryuken, just wavedash back -> Edgeghog.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
The Abe Lincoln is a move that can be pulled off to gimp mainly Fox and Falco, but it does work on other characters like Falcon, Ganon, and a few others.

The initial set-up for the move, against fox and falco, works by getting them off of the ledge, and depending on how they recover determines your next move. . . .

If they use the illusion and are slightly above the ledge, just shoot a fireball just quick enough to stop them before they reach the ledge, from there you wavedash forward off of tge ledge facing your opponent, by now they drop from the fireball and are forced to do the fire fox, or fire bird thingy. . . anchor yourself so your slightly above them, but can still grab the ledge; as soon as they start going vertical, do a reverse up-b. Luigi will turn around and grab the ledge, and because they will only get hit by the one coin (one coin i.e. penny, hence the name Abe Lincoln), which has virtually no knockback, causes them to drop and plummet to their death.

If you think they are going to sweet spot the ledge with the illusion, wavedash off the ledge, and then shoot the fireball so it's level with them, you should still be able to get them with the coin.

It's important that you force Fox or Falco out of the forward b phase and into a fire fox phase, the gimp doesn't work very well on the illusion, and with falco you usually will get spiked, thus being reverse-gimped.

Once you get the timing down you'll find out when you can and can't pull it off, and when you do just shout "ABE LINCOLN" to the heavens.

I'll have some videos of its application soon, in case i didn't explain it well enough.
Happy gimping to all the fellow Luigi smashers
lol creative name.
The whole thing with the fireball stopping the illusion is ridiculous. It's far too slow to be of any use. If you can predict the illusion that far ahead, might as well aerial as above poster mentioned
As for up-b'ing the firebird, I'm not a big luigi player but you said "It has virtually no knockback causing them to plummet". I would think they would be able to attempt another up b almost instantly if the knockback is that low.
but again points for creative name.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
yah i think mark has it

i dont think the up b has enough hit stun to kill fox...maybe falco if he drops low enough

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
weak up+b --> weak nair --> weak up+b is the coolest thing in the universe.

it's very overkill though. weak up+b --> dair is sufficient.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I love the name, just gotta say it. I'm pretty sure if I tried it I'd choke up and do something stupid, i'm not that good at reacting to opponents in that way

soap

Smash Hero
i would invest my time in mastering this.

ive ran off and reverse needled falcos at the bottom of levels just to get my jollies

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I did this to Cactuar's fox the other day and it was GORGEOUS. I will probably use it in our crew video.

However, it is VERY situational. I usually only do it if I don't have my double jump for some reason.

Fair and dair are usually better options.

Also, I would recommend not wavedashing off the stage to fireball. If you miss, you are in a lot of trouble. Onstage falco and on ledge fox generally gimp Luigi's recovery if he is coming from below the stage.

You are much better off grabbing the ledge if you expect them to forward B.

WIGI

Smash Champion
id rather ftitlt.

wait. what am i saying, id rather missfire them in the FACE.

but yeah use ftilt.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
People underestimate fireball..

The other day I fireball'd toward the stage (LLOD and I were off the stage), Uair'd him and wavelanded on the stage. He was Uair'd into the fireball, where I promptly sweetspot UpB'd him. It was quite sexy.

Ftilt is safer, but I find fireball to work well if followed with an offstage Dair/Fair.

WIGI

Smash Champion
I SPIEKD WITH MISSFIRE TODAY.

i was right above a cfalcon, and i missfired towards the stage, and he went straight down. o.0

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
This thread has degenerated into an awesome compilation of stupid combos. I think this is a good thing. We need some good dash attack combos. Forward B combos. Airyukens. and Taunt spikes.

Top Bottom