• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 3.5 Update! How's the pink puffball fair now?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
The coveted update has arrived! Thanks you based PMBR!

So far in my testing and scanning (plus chatting with another Kirby main), it feels like Kirby was nerfed a bit. Granted, everyone feels a bit nerfed, thanks to them toning down recoveries, but I'd like to go over all of Kirby's main nerfs in detail. He's still fantastic, rest assured, but let's take a look at the intricacies.

1)Up-tilt is slower and not as quicklyi nterruptible. Much more akin to Melee.

2)Cutter Dash has more ending lag, not immediately able to act out of it anymore. Also steals all of your jumps, save one.

3)Fireball has more ending lag now. Also, patch notes said it was weaker, but the wording was vague...

4)Stone is a tad slower and takes longer to cancel, but KO's earlier.

5) It wasn't listed in the patch notes but Kirby feels faster in the air. Unconfirmed.

6)Swallow is easier to interrupt and unable to move in mid-air while performing it. You can still DI after catching someone.

7)Down Throw keeps victim in front of you. Down throw missed tech chain grab easier to do (feels like it ).

8)Nair has less lingering hitboxes near end.

9)Down Smash activates 2 frames faster.

I feel the changes are justified. Sure I'm bummed about cutter and fireball nerfs, but I feel they were needed. What are your thoughts? Do you like 3.5 Kirby now? Is he worth playing for that SWEET KIRBY SKIN (CARBON HYPE<3)?

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
A lot of people look at d throw tech chasing as a nerf, I just see it as a whole new world of options not really a nerf or a buff. Once you get good at tech chasing its amazing. But yeah, even though I would've changed him differently I find him much more of an intelligent character that requires real fundamentals instead of the 'Dash dance at a far distance, wait for them to mess up, oooh dash attack, up air, reset to neutral... oh i got the stock lead grab ledge and try to kirbycide' disaster he was in 3.02. Dash Attack seems to be remade quite well, and they also made kirbyciding a lot harder so now I can enjoy Kirby's going out there for a gimp the normal way instead of just mindlessly jumping out there and pressing B. Idk, maybe i feel this because the way I played Kirby in 3.0 is basically unchanged and to me this new one seems like a buff.

Last edited:

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I personally like the new down throw as well. I don't think dash attack should have been nerfed on hit although the other nerfs to it make sense.

I personally like the nerfs overall (to Kirby and the rest of the cast), although Kirby should have received one or two significant buffs that he just didn't receive (Better forward and upthrows, and/ or better air mobility). The biggest problem is the lack of nerfs on certain characters that I expected them to receive.

@ WispBae WispBae :

1. (According to patch notes and my perception) Kirby is not faster in the air and Stone is not slower, although it is true that it takes longer to cancel.

2. Kirby Nair does not have less lingering hitboxes at the end. The hitboxes just shrink on the "lingering hit".

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
F**K THESE NERFS!!! WHY WOULD YOU NERF A F**KING UPPER-MID TIER INTO GARBAGE!!!
Kirby didn't have good approach options besides cutter dash and dash attack. Now they are garbage. The PMDT must have a hard** for spacies to nerf everyone but Fox and Falco. Is it that the PMDT doesn't want kirby players to have offensive options? Do they want kirby players to stand by the edge, camp d-tilts, tech-chase, and edgeguard for 8 minutes? Because that's all that's going to happen. These nerfs are awful, I'm swapping mains.

Synth177

Smash Rookie
F**K THESE NERFS!!! WHY WOULD YOU NERF A F**KING UPPER-MID TIER INTO GARBAGE!!!
Kirby didn't have good approach options besides cutter dash and dash attack. Now they are garbage. The PMDT must have a hard** for spacies to nerf everyone but Fox and Falco. Is it that the PMDT doesn't want kirby players to have offensive options? Do they want kirby players to stand by the edge, camp d-tilts, tech-chase, and edgeguard for 8 minutes? Because that's all that's going to happen. These nerfs are awful, I'm swapping mains.
Fox and Falco both got nerfed and tech chasing is hella fun. Dash attack was broken as **** and you know it.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I personally like the new down throw as well. I don't think dash attack should have been nerfed on hit although the other nerfs to it make sense.

I personally like the nerfs overall (to Kirby and the rest of the cast), although Kirby should have received one or two significant buffs that he just didn't receive (Better forward and upthrows, and/ or better air mobility). The biggest problem is the lack of nerfs on certain characters that I expected them to receive.

@ WispBae WispBae :

1. (According to patch notes and my perception) Kirby is not faster in the air and Stone is not slower, although it is true that it takes longer to cancel.

2. Kirby Nair does not have less lingering hitboxes at the end. The hitboxes just shrink on the "lingering hit".
I do like the nerfs as I was starting to abuse cutter stalling, waiting for an opening and fireballing non-stop. Granted, I'll probably still use Fireball like crazy, but it should be more methodical.

Still, it just feels (note the word feels) like Kirby is SLIGHTY faster in mid-air... Maybe it's from different TV's though, I doubt PMBR wouldn't add it ti yhe changelog (or they forgot, thier human too!).

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
he fairs quite a lot, if you know how to juggle. tap dances off stage

actually no he's probably one of the most inadvertently buffed in the game. y'all keep looking at this in a bubble, his edgeguarding potential has went from "a small handful of top tiers and everyone below that level" to "basically everyone in general" because of recovery nerfs across the board. meanwhile, yeah his side cutter is a bit more situational on recovery, but he still has five jumps and a great upb, compared to what everyone else has now

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Y'all are stupid. The PMDT took away Kirby's offensive options and combo game. Have fun getting stomped by spacies for having no approach options. Oh, and enjoy playing 8 minute matches with timeouts because the only way you're going to win is if you camp ledge.

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
I do feel Kirby has limited approach options and requires a lot more skill to play. He now gets punished a lot harder for mistakes and he really doesn't have a safe go to move. The game is mix ups now and Kirby has about 3 good approaches. Might have to play like puff from now on, but hey its fun. Just got wrecked by the new ganon and lets just say the guy is easily top 8.

Synth177

Smash Rookie
Y'all are stupid. The PMDT took away Kirby's offensive options and combo game. Have fun getting stomped by spacies for having no approach options. Oh, and enjoy playing 8 minute matches with timeouts because the only way you're going to win is if you camp ledge.
Dude 3.5 came out like yesterday. Kirby still has fair, nair, bair, and a pretty decent dash dance. I think he'll be just fine. He just got his dumb moves and auto combos removed, big deal. Now you'll just have to combo by reacting to DI and really thinking about your next move.

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
Dude 3.5 came out like yesterday. Kirby still has fair, nair, bair, and a pretty decent dash dance. I think he'll be just fine. He just got his dumb moves and auto combos removed, big deal. Now you'll just have to combo by reacting to DI and really thinking about your next move.
This will probably open up advanced level Kirby and hopefully we can see some wicked combos by chudat. :) I'm struggling a little due to the nerfs, but I'm sure once I time my fireball, utilt, and Bairs. I'll be fine. Swallow to Dair is sometimes useful!

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Kirby actaully feels somewhat of the same in 3.5. I love him still. All his approaches are still viable. He doesn't seem that changed other than the horizontal cutter and the rock. He still is completely solid imo

SSS

Smash Ace
Dthrow always techchased for awhile and it was one of the best parts about Kirby. The only thing is he know lacks dthrow>f/usmash, which takes away one his major reliable kill options. Dash attack was nerfed perfectly. Also I do think he falls faster.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
This will probably open up advanced level Kirby and hopefully we can see some wicked combos by chudat. :) I'm struggling a little due to the nerfs, but I'm sure once I time my fireball, utilt, and Bairs. I'll be fine. Swallow to Dair is sometimes useful!
I'm personally more excited to see more rush down style stuff from @ JetX818 JetX818

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I love this new Kirby. I was always a fan of the character, but he was way too junk in Melee, and way too jank in 3.0 (I just always felt guilty for playing him). But now he feels great, but not like I can just do whatever. I'm thinking I'll pick him up as a secondary. He fairs well against Ganon, Falcon, and Peach, right?
Not to mention, Carbon master race!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think a lot of the "salt" from the nerfs in general comes from people only thinking they were going to take away the dumb stuff from the top tier characters while the low/mid tier characters would still keep them, and then being mad that they took away all the dumb stuff. Kirby went from being arguably one of the worst designed from being very well designed... not the best but waaaayy better basically because they took away the dumb stuff. Like I said, it shouldn't be a good idea to rely on chaingrabs on half the cast, approaching with dash attack, and kirbyciding. If you think all matches are gonna be timeouts cuz he cant approach you're sadly mistaken and probably only rely on gimmicks sadly to say lol. 3.5 really made the game a lot more fundamental based which is what we wanted, and is really heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

Queasy Mac

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of the "salt" from the nerfs in general comes from people only thinking they were going to take away the dumb stuff from the top tier characters while the low/mid tier characters would still keep them, and then being mad that they took away all the dumb stuff. Kirby went from being arguably one of the worst designed from being very well designed... not the best but waaaayy better basically because they took away the dumb stuff. Like I said, it shouldn't be a good idea to rely on chaingrabs on half the cast, approaching with dash attack, and kirbyciding. If you think all matches are gonna be timeouts cuz he cant approach you're sadly mistaken and probably only rely on gimmicks sadly to say lol. 3.5 really made the game a lot more fundamental based which is what we wanted, and is really heading in the right direction.
It doesn't even seem like his playstyle has changed that much(at least the way I play him). I was a bit salty at first because I was just afraid Kirby was gonna be bad(And when Kirby is bad...he's BAD), but now that I have looked at the character(and noticed everyone else got it worse), almost everything is still intact, just not free. Dash attack does the same thing, you just have to space it, same with the Cutter dash. Uptilt doesn't combo into itself but it still combos into everything else. Also the rock is probably a buff as it is a kill move now(Still prefer old rock though). And one of my favorite changes, WE CAN DO THINGS AFTER GRABBING MEWTWO!

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow always techchased for awhile and it was one of the best parts about Kirby. The only thing is he know lacks dthrow>f/usmash, which takes away one his major reliable kill options. Dash attack was nerfed perfectly. Also I do think he falls faster.
But they land right in front of you, so if they arent so heavy they hit the ground immedietally you can at least get some jab damage or tech chase (albeit tech chasing from it being a lot hard now I think)

SSS

Smash Ace
But they land right in front of you, so if they arent so heavy they hit the ground immedietally you can at least get some jab damage or tech chase (albeit tech chasing from it being a lot hard now I think)
you'll be able to techchase everybody. i think you can do it on reaction with cutter dash or dash attack. idk it depends on their tech roll length.

#CAKE

Smash Rookie
He definitely was nerfed a bit but so far it hasn't done much to my gameplay (aside from the occasional suicide because I forget I only have one jump after the horizontal cut whenever I'm chasing) but he is still holding strong in my opinion, everything is much more fluid and honestly all match ups are a bit better feeling because of everyone's slight changes. This is my favorite version of Kirby, it took some getting used to at first but it just feels so much more natural. :kirby2:

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
I'm ultimately fine with nerfs to dash and swallow, for the aforementioned reasons. I think they should have given buffs to other things because it's not like kirby was exactly a good character even unnerfed. There was exactly one player who did well because he abused the now nerfed traits to the max, now that they are gone, what's the viability exactly?

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I'm ultimately fine with nerfs to dash and swallow, for the aforementioned reasons. I think they should have given buffs to other things because it's not like kirby was exactly a good character even unnerfed. There was exactly one player who did well because he abused the now nerfed traits to the max, now that they are gone, what's the viability exactly?
And who is this "one player"?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Just dont think of Kirby as a nerfed PM Kirby, but a buffed Melee Kirby.

Chu will still do well without the kirbycides, hes Chudat. Have you seen his Brawl Kirby, some of the things he does are so creative... its actually the reason I started playing Kirby seeing that one match vs Ally. He plays slow but hes still really flashy, also he has a firm grip on the Melee style metagame cuz hes been playing since basically the beginning with his ICs. I know he did play Kirby in Melee and probably knows some of the top Kirbys like Hack or RRR and how they made a really bad character go even with characters like Sheik Falcon or Falco. So I doubt Chu is gonna fall off cuz of these Kirby "nerfs", if he does its not because of that.

Last edited:

JetX818

Smash Cadet
I'm personally more excited to see more rush down style stuff from @ JetX818 JetX818
Kirby has indeed change a lot. Though my awesome combos are still there. I need to adapt to Kirby's recovering options now. Did alright in last sss due to the fact I kept sding because I was so use to Kirby's 3.2 recovery options. I feel slower too but I'll be back with vengeance.

Last edited:

SillyBear

Smash Rookie
found a possible mistake with kirbys copy ability with ganondorf, it gives kirby ganons old neutral b move (the punch that never hits), I think he should have one of his new moves, maybe the d special kick (reflect isn't gonna help him much against ganon that has no projectiles). What do you guys think?

Queasy Mac

Smash Rookie
found a possible mistake with kirbys copy ability with ganondorf, it gives kirby ganons old neutral b move (the punch that never hits), I think he should have one of his new moves, maybe the d special kick (reflect isn't gonna help him much against ganon that has no projectiles). What do you guys think?
It's been known, most of Kiby abilities are the Brawl versions so it makes sense that Gannon's didn't change

Top Bottom