• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

fkpichu1

Smash Rookie
Hey man, I really need this for me to develop my habit, and I think other's will too. I really liked the option for causing death once a roll but I decided something else might help me stop being a beginner as well. I thought of the idea of forcing death in a failed L-cancel. That would be a great addition to the next update. Thanks for your contributions and good luck.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is it possible to code in an "EZ-wavedash" command?

Like have either the X or Y button do a jump and on the first frame when the character moves into the air he/she does an air dodge immediately into the ground. Hopefully you can also make it so that you can adjust the length of your wavedash depending on your control stick angle (like doing a wavedash fake when you hold the control stick down).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Is it possible to code in an "EZ-wavedash" command?

Like have either the X or Y button do a jump and on the first frame when the character moves into the air he/she does an air dodge immediately into the ground. Hopefully you can also make it so that you can adjust the length of your wavedash depending on your control stick angle (like doing a wavedash fake when you hold the control stick down).
Honestly, this wouldn't make wavedashing much easier. If the only difference between a normal wavedash and an EZ-wavedash is that you don't have to press L or R, then I don't see how that will help much.

Trust me on this last point, it actually takes longer to learn when and why you use the wavedash than it takes to actually learn the technical aspect of it. You are better off not trying to take any shortcuts and simply buckle down and practice it. I guarantee that if you spend 10 to 15 minutes a day for a week you can probably perform the wavedash with a decent consistency, and then you can focus on learning when to wavedash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, this wouldn't make wavedashing much easier. If the only difference between a normal wavedash and an EZ-wavedash is that you don't have to press L or R, then I don't see how that will help much.

Trust me on this last point, it actually takes longer to learn when and why you use the wavedash than it takes to actually learn the technical aspect of it. You are better off not trying to take any shortcuts and simply buckle down and practice it. I guarantee that if you spend 10 to 15 minutes a day for a week you can probably perform the wavedash with a decent consistency, and then you can focus on learning when to wavedash.
Hey, they have an auto-L-cancel code for fun, why not an easy wavedash for fun?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Well if it's just for fun then why not have it so that you map one of the buttons to perform a wavedash and just accept whatever the control stick is to determine the trajectory?

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
Well if it's just for fun then why not have it so that you map one of the buttons to perform a wavedash and just accept whatever the control stick is to determine the trajectory?
It's not really "just for fun". Red flash on unsuccessful LCancel still works with Auto LCancel turned on. This lets you keep practicing your cancels, note your consistency, and still be able to practice comboing as if you were cancelling correctly. Basically it lets you start to develop your combo game while still learning to cancel, saving you time.

There are plenty of just for fun features in 20xx, but this feature would require a fair amount of work without a lot of payoff so I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hopefully you can also make it so that you can adjust the length of your wavedash depending on your control stick angle (like doing a wavedash fake when you hold the control stick down).
Yep, I thought of that already.

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
Hey guys I have looked on the front page of this thread many times on how to change alternate costumes and I just can't seem to execute it.

Please feel free to tell me if I'm doing something wrong, I'd appreciate it so much:

Let's say I want to change falco' blue alternate costume
It's TyMapA.dat
I go to the MELEE texture thread, find a C9 FALCO costume for the blue falco, as directed by Achilles in the front page and download it
It's called PlFcBu.dat when I download it so I re name it TyMapA.dat and put it on the USB I'm loading 20xx from
I go in game, press L for the alt and then start a match, but it just sits on the stage select screen, doing nothing.
I'm lost.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I have looked on the front page of this thread many times on how to change alternate costumes and I just can't seem to execute it.

Please feel free to tell me if I'm doing something wrong, I'd appreciate it so much:

Let's say I want to change falco' blue alternate costume
It's TyMapA.dat
I go to the MELEE texture thread, find a C9 FALCO costume for the blue falco, as directed by Achilles in the front page and download it
It's called PlFcBu.dat when I download it so I re name it TyMapA.dat and put it on the USB I'm loading 20xx from
I go in game, press L for the alt and then start a match, but it just sits on the stage select screen, doing nothing.
I'm lost.
you have to replace the TyMapA.dat thats in your iso, just putting it on the USB wont do anything.

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
you have to replace the TyMapA.dat thats in your iso, just putting it on the USB wont do anything.
Thank you so very much Goatlink!!!! One more question, very sorry. How do I exactly do that? :p I have a SSBM 1.02 iso and Gcrebuilder and all that junk so I would highly appreciate if you told me how.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Thank you so very much Goatlink!!!! One more question, very sorry. How do I exactly do that? :p I have a SSBM 1.02 iso and Gcrebuilder and all that junk so I would highly appreciate if you told me how.
In GCR open your iso and then find TyMapA.dat. Right click it and choose import and select your blue Falco file.

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
In GCR open your iso and then find TyMapA.dat. Right click it and choose import and select your blue Falco file.
Thank you CeLL! It worked! I can't express my gratitude any further... I've been trying this for days... I'm so stupid haha. Thank you.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
WARNING: This applies only to those that are playing melee competitively!
It's not really "just for fun". Red flash on unsuccessful LCancel still works with Auto LCancel turned on. This lets you keep practicing your cancels, note your consistency, and still be able to practice comboing as if you were cancelling correctly. Basically it lets you start to develop your combo game while still learning to cancel, saving you time.
Personally I think this is a very, very sloppy way of practicing that would damage your execution as well as give you a false sense of your level of tech skill. L-canceling also isn't super hard, and it's much better to actually practice L-canceling in combo strings in which a missed l-cancel is a missed l-cancel.

There are two things, one, you won't know exactly how many l-cancels you miss if your only indication is the flash. If you are so focussed to notice when you miss and when you don't based only on the flash then you aren't focussed enough on the other things you are doing. At least missing an L-cancel makes things a bit more obvious. The second thing is, even the best players miss an L-cancel every now and then, and as much as you want your execution to be as high as possible, you should also learn what to do when you miss an L-cancel. You need to learn to be aware of when you are in danger so you can act on it appropriately. By removing the consequences in practice, how the heck do you expect to react appropriately against human opponents?

20XX gives you a ton of tools to actually train so many different facets of the game in a very focussed way and can really help you improve your tech skill in record time. Don't use it as a crutch that would actually slow your development. Sloppy practice leads to sloppy play.

EDIT: I assume that if you have this feature on that you are actually frustrated by the amount of L-cancels you make. Perhaps it makes practicing combo strings harder or makes you feel that you get nothing out of it due to missing L-cancels. Whatever the case may be, skipping the step of learning L-canceling won't make you better and would actually make you more frustrated.

I can imagine a situation in which you practice without L-canceling in which you are able to see and could respond to a situation, say you are Falcon and there is a wonderful knee that just presented itself, but you missed an L-cancel, so now you can say goodbye to your shot. It's great that you would have gained the ability and insight to make solid follow-ups on your combos; however, what is the point if your execution is poor? If you can't count on your L-canceling to allow you to do the combos you practiced, then it earns you nothing and just makes you more frustrated in the long run.

Just know that 20XX is a brilliant tool to train tech skill, but it isn't a shortcut. Techskill is earned, if you want to play this game seriously then you need the discipline to sit down and run drills. It honestly doesn't take much, 10-15 minutes a day of drills will get you up to snuff pretty damn quickly.

Sorry if this became a long essay, but honestly I see this kind of behaviour a lot and people then wonder why they don't perform well. Tech is one of the easiest things to practice (well most of it anyways) but so few people bother to practice it enough.

Last edited:

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
I think I may have found a bug. I know other people have already discovered most bugs and they're known, but I didn't see this one listed in the FAQ or the relevant part of the OP, so I figured I might as well post it:

The invincibility in-game toggle (X+up) does not affect player 3.
World-changing, I know.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I think I may have found a bug. I know other people have already discovered most bugs and they're known, but I didn't see this one listed in the FAQ or the relevant part of the OP, so I figured I might as well post it:

The invincibility in-game toggle (X+up) does not affect player 3.
World-changing, I know.
Lol, it's funny you mention that because I was rewriting the in-game toggles about a week and a half ago and noticed that and thought to myself "wtf was i doing?...". It will be fixed in the next version. Thanks.

If anyone is curious, it is changing the defence ratio of each player to 0 to become "invincible".

Last edited:

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
Lol, it's funny you mention that because I was rewriting the in-game toggles about a week and a half ago and noticed that and thought to myself "wtf was i doing?...". It will be fixed in the next version. Thanks.
Ah, good! Yeah, it kind of seemed like one of those simple little brain fart moments. Happy ending, yay.

If anyone is curious, it is changing the defence ratio of each player to 0 to become "invincible".
This is actually how I noticed the problem. I was playing around with the down-b toggle in the debug menu's "DEVELOP" mode (trying to figure out the pieces of info TCRF listed as "unknown;" one turned out to just be the handicap) and I accidentally hit up-x. But I noticed that P3's defense ratio didn't change like the others when I toggled it, so one test led to another and then I posted here.

Side note: Are there any plans to add frame advance as an in-game toggle? It's phenomenally useful, but currently the only way I know of to access it is to enter DEVELOP mode, which makes all other in-game toggles a huge chore to use.

K1F

Smash Rookie
NNID
DavidJoey
3DS FC
5455-9563-5553
So I used to have the hack pack, but then I had to take out my usb and put the hack pack back onto my computer because I had to move some other stuff around and there wasn't enough room for both of them. I put the hack pack back on the same usb drive, but when I start up the usb loader in the homebrew channel, there's no 20XX hack pack. I checked and the files are on there, but it just doesn't show up in the app. Anyone got help? Thanks.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
So I used to have the hack pack, but then I had to take out my usb and put the hack pack back onto my computer because I had to move some other stuff around and there wasn't enough room for both of them. I put the hack pack back on the same usb drive, but when I start up the usb loader in the homebrew channel, there's no 20XX hack pack. I checked and the files are on there, but it just doesn't show up in the app. Anyone got help? Thanks.
Is your USB still in FAT32 and is the iso still in /games ?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
The iso is still there, yes. How do I check the formatting?
right-click on the USB, property, it sould be visible directly in the "general" tab. If you didn't format your usb, it shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited:

K1F

Smash Rookie
NNID
DavidJoey
3DS FC
5455-9563-5553
right-click on the USB, property, it sould be visible directly in the "general" tab. If you didn't format your usb, it shouldn't be the problem.
It says NFTS nest to "File System". Do I need to reformat it?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
It says NFTS nest to "File System". Do I need to reformat it?
BACKUP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES FIRST.
Yes, you need FAT32. By formatting it, you will clean your USB from all files, so copy somewhere everything important then transfer back. Also, format with 32KB clusters to remove problems with Project M and Gamecube emulators (it might not be necessary, but it removes all doubts)

matacusa

Smash Rookie
giving them a second (double) jump is not possible. the game has some weird fail-safe that causes any number of jumps above 2 on non-multi jump characters to mean infinite jumps. so unless people want characters that are literally ungimpable, that isn't gonna fly. and even then, they'd just be weak ungimpable versions of falcon and zelda. hardly fun or even worth the trouble.
Why, in that case, not simply make them faster (mwf), and with a bigger disjoint (fwf), so they would have a better approach option, while being easy to KO themselves? (also, a slightly higher second jump would be nice to compensate for the lack of up-B). That would make them high-risk/high-reward characters like jigglypuff; easily knocked out but also capable of killing easily.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Hi Achilles,

A while back I suggested revamping various characters' CPU recovery plate/selection.

Is out of the picture? Or could that be in a near future patch?

NeoTurtle

Smash Rookie
I'm looking to edit the texures on the Melee Title screen similar to the small '20XX'. I've managed to dump the textures and edit them using dolphins dump/load features, but I can't find what dat the textures are in, or where. Could Achilles or Qual_ be able to help me out?

Edit:
I FIGURED IT OUT NEVER MIND

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
There are two things, one, you won't know exactly how many l-cancels you miss if your only indication is the flash. If you are so focussed to notice when you miss and when you don't based only on the flash then you aren't focussed enough on the other things you are doing.
Definitely sounds like a perfect reason to implement a code similar to that of the input delay tester. Increment % damage for each missed L-Cancel. Increment P2 for every L-Cancel to get the total. That way, you can practice L-Cancel without an opponent before moving to actually having one.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Definitely sounds like a perfect reason to implement a code similar to that of the input delay tester. Increment % damage for each missed L-Cancel. Increment P2 for every L-Cancel to get the total. That way, you can practice L-Cancel without an opponent before moving to actually having one.
Actually there is already a code to show the percent you L-cancelled on the results screen, but this just gave me the idea to make a code that if you miss an L-cancel, add like 2% or something to your damage, but still reduce the landing lag. I think I'm going to try to make this code tomorrow/Tuesday.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 I can't run Dolphin right now so this is rather general but would it be something like this?
  • Find where it compares that L-cancel byte you mentioned before to 0
  • Replace that with a branch to my function in empty dol space
  • In my function :
    • do the comparison
    • if it's greater than 0, branch back (?)
    • (else) set the register with the L-cancel byte to something greater than 0
    • load the damage from ram into a register (idk which, let's just say r0)
    • addi r0, r0, 0x2 (add an arbitrary amount of damage, in this case 2)
    • store the damage back into the ram
    • update the on-screen damage display (?)
    • blr

Last edited:

eman123

Smash Cadet
i just installed 20xx today and i cant get the rumble to work does it just not work in 20xx?

Espi

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea for the next update. The ability to choose what songs will play in random music would be nice. But I guess it's probably not feasible atm?

eman123

Smash Cadet
soo rumble is working in training mode but it wont work in melee mode anyone else have this problem

Y-L

Smash Champion
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 do you think you could change the game id to something like GALEXX in the next update? Dolphin uses game id to choose a game in netplay so having 20xx conflicts with normal melee and is a large cause of desyncs. It would be a HUGE help and I don't think this hurts anybody.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I have an idea for the next update. The ability to choose what songs will play in random music would be nice. But I guess it's probably not feasible atm?
As of now, the plan is to make a robust music selection menu, where you can select each stage and choose a specific song to play on it, or have it randomly choose between a modifiable list of about 10 or so. Not sure on the exact number, but we’ll see. I’ve basically ignored music in the past because, I personally don’t see it being as important as training features or even alt costumes/things like that. It’s sort of last on my list. But now that we have the ability to add files to filesystem, I should be able to “rewrite” the file names in a way that will easily allow any song, including custom added ones, to be chosen for any stage.

It’s one of the codes that I have been scheming about in my mind over the past few months, so I pretty much know exactly what I need to do. It’s just a matter of finishing everything else, as this will probably be the last thing I add to the new release. To go along with this….I really want to add in custom music from other smash games into the next vanilla release of the 20XX pack (which is why I’ve been inquiring the state of music hacks a little in one of the other music threads).

Like these are on my wishlist…amazing.

Brawl – Dialga/Palkia Battle
Brawl – Wild Pokemon Battle (Diamond/Pearl)
Brawl – Victory Road

(These are just the first that come to mind, which happen to all be Pokemon songs)
Actually there is already a code to show the percent you L-cancelled on the results screen, but this just gave me the idea to make a code that if you miss an L-cancel, add like 2% or something to your damage, but still reduce the landing lag. I think I'm going to try to make this code tomorrow/Tuesday.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 I can't run Dolphin right now so this is rather general but would it be something like this?
  • Find where it compares that L-cancel byte you mentioned before to 0
  • Replace that with a branch to my function in empty dol space
  • In my function :
    • do the comparison
    • if it's greater than 0, branch back (?)
    • (else) set the register with the L-cancel byte to something greater than 0
    • load the damage from ram into a register (idk which, let's just say r0)
    • addi r0, r0, 0x2 (add an arbitrary amount of damage, in this case 2)
    • store the damage back into the ram
    • update the on-screen damage display (?)
    • blr
There’s a million ways to skin a cat when it comes to l-cancel codes. And if you are truly modifying a player’s damage, then you need to address the difference between on-screen “displayed” percent and “actual” floating point decimal percent of a player.

It would be something like:

#default line
Load l/r/z timer byte (anything greater than or equal to 7 will not l-cancel)

Cmpwi to 7
Blt- END

#if greater than or equal to 7
Load 2 into a floating point register and then pull their current damage and add it to this
Lbz player port number from data offset
Multiply by 0xe90 to add this to the start of the static player blocks address
Load this player’s on-screen percent (which is just an int), and add 2 then store back

END:
Li l-cancel byte register to anything less than 7 so that l-canceling will occur in the proceeding lines

Then of course you need to think about Nana and if you want to do her too which sucks.
I think wParam pointed out a TakeDamage or GiveDamagePercent function you may be able to branch link into with a single parameter of the damage to add, but idk, I’ve never used it or looked into it.

And if you're just making a Gecko code (C2 injection type), you don't need the blr because the Gecko codehandler automatically does it for you.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 do you think you could change the game id to something like GALEXX in the next update? Dolphin uses game id to choose a game in netplay so having 20xx conflicts with normal melee and is a large cause of desyncs. It would be a HUGE help and I don't think this hurts anybody.
Maybe. I guess I just haven’t done it so that I have one synchronized code list for vanilla/20XX when testing and writing codes. But I guess I could do it for official releases. I’ll think about it.

Last edited:

DoomWarrior

Smash Rookie
hey so I just got 20xx on an sd card on nintendont (wii) and every time I do vs mode with a CPU the game will freeze after about a minute or so. training mode works fine and if I add a bot P2 it also seems to work ok so I'm not sure what the problem is here

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
As of now, the plan is to make a robust music selection menu, where you can select each stage and choose a specific song to play on it, or have it randomly choose between a modifiable list of about 10 or so. Not sure on the exact number, but we’ll see. I’ve basically ignored music in the past because, I personally don’t see it being as important as training features or even alt costumes/things like that. It’s sort of last on my list. But now that we have the ability to add files to filesystem, I should be able to “rewrite” the file names in a way that will easily allow any song, including custom added ones, to be chosen for any stage.

It’s one of the codes that I have been scheming about in my mind over the past few months, so I pretty much know exactly what I need to do. It’s just a matter of finishing everything else, as this will probably be the last thing I add to the new release. To go along with this….I really want to add in custom music from other smash games into the next vanilla release of the 20XX pack (which is why I’ve been inquiring the state of music hacks a little in one of the other music threads).
If you could somehow use your mystical wizard powers to loop melee music files at any point that would be great. (even though that's almost assuredly not possible)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I used to edit my game directory on dolphin back and forth every time I wanted to do online or 20XX. Such a hassle.
Until I found that you can use a hex editor to do what you requested youself.
Look that up man :)

If you have more trouble after trying that, lemme know and I'll see what I can do

Top Bottom