• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

andzrej

Project Z Curator
A would cause the player to do an action, so it has to be D-pad right/down.
The best way to fix this is to be able to toggle it in the debug menu. When booted, it should start with save states off.

Small bug in training mode. (Ignore this)
If you enter the game with your controller in the P2 port and try to turn on hitboxes, you turn them on for the CPU. This is really small so it doesn't need to be fixed, and I actually find it kind of nice.

@achilles- congratz on landing a job man!

Can you upload high-res images of the box art and a to-scale Melee icon bitmap to mediafire or a dropbox? With a bitmap of the mini banner people even without usb loader can update their game's icon natively through GCR.
Like this?

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the amazing work!

Everything just works wonderful. I just wanted to ask, if I can switch somehow from NTSC to PAL settings (just based on the charakters). That would make a lot of sense for european players, who also want to use the hack with friends.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thank you for the amazing work!

Everything just works wonderful. I just wanted to ask, if I can switch somehow from NTSC to PAL settings (just based on the charakters). That would make a lot of sense for european players, who also want to use the hack with friends.
This is a good idea. I think I could if we knew exactly what to modify in 1.02 character DAT files to make NTSC characters act exactly like PAL ones. Then I could make it an option in the debug menu. I know there is this thread (Cross-Version Characters) but that is not even close to everything.

xJin678

Smash Cadet
Awesome job, Achilles!

Just a quick question. What exactly do I do with the 20xxRandomMusicDefaultOff.dol and is there any way to keep Marth's sword swing default color?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
*New Version Release*

(20XX v2.03)
- Adds a toggle to the debug menu, termed "INGAME OFF", for turning in-game button activator codes completely off.
1 = In-game code toggles ON (default)
2 = in-game code toggles OFF
3 = 1
- Fixes a bug that would cause the game to freeze if a P2 action toggle was executed when P2 was not present in the game.

The whole pack is updated on the OP. If you already have a 20XX ISO created, feel free to only replace the DOL file from the pack download and it will add this new stuff. This means you won't have to go through the "rebuilding an ISO" process.

Instructions for doing so (these will be added to the OP as well):

In GCR,
1) Image --> Open --> Load Melee ISO
2) open the "&&SystemData" folder on the file tree, right click "Start.dol" and choose Import --> navigate to the Start.dol in the hack file replacements folder from the new download

--
I haven't tested these on a console yet (my Wii is currently not accessible), but they should work. Please give feedback to help me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I tested on Wii and I have suggestions.

///////////////////////
// Important stuff

I think "State save" command has to be changed to a little more difficult command (for wrongly input).
For example, D-pad right -> A + D-pad right.

As you know, when there is no state save, "state load" will freeze.
How about "State load" command is "State save" only when there is no state save.

3. *I really think this is great if possible
"InGameToggles" can be ON/OFF in the Debug menu, like widescreen, skip result, random music.

For now "20XX Hack" is only for training because a lot of things can be changed by P1.
We can't use for ordinary playing, though there is great "Stage striking".
But if "InGameToggles" being ON/OFF in debug menu is possible, 20XX hack can be also played ordinarily.

//////////////////////
// a little thing

"P2 Falco's SH Laser (R+D-pad right)" 's "Random Laser Level".
If the level of laser is random like human's SH Laser, we can train PowerShield better.

When Widescreen is on, the position of loupe is not on the edge of screen.
For now, there is distance between loupe and edge of screen.
Can this be fixed?

To use "Alternate stages", press D-pad down on "CSS".
But if we press D-pad down on SSS, the game will crash.
Can D-pad down input be NOT applied on SSS?

I don't know why, state load sometimes applies only to P2.

////////////////
// Question
Do you plan to make 20XX Hack Package for 1.00?
Thanks for all this. These are good suggestions/comments.

Important Stuff:
1 - I've mentioned this earlier in the thread but I do not want the "Load Save State" button activator to be something that would make the character input an action - they will execute the action right after loading.
2 - I plan on adding a fix for this.
3 - Done.

Little Things:
1 - A couple people have mentioned this. I can definitely do it, but I want to complete all the bug fixes and other, more requested additions first. After doing so, I'll see where I'm at with free lines before adding more P2 action toggles.
2 - I'm not sure I know you mean by this. What is loupe? Is this what you are talking about?
3 - I'll try and make a fix for this, too.
4 - Not sure.

And I'm not sure about converting all of this to 1.00. I don't see it being done anytime soon and it would be a lot of work.

Last edited:

Kou

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all this. These are good suggestions/comments.

Important Stuff:
1 - I've mentioned this earlier in the thread but I do not want the "Load Save State" button activator to be something that would make the character input an action - they will execute the action right after loading.
2 - I plan on adding a fix for this.
3 - Done.

Little Things:
1 - A couple people have mentioned this. I can definitely do it, but I want to complete all the bug fixes and other, more requested additions first. After doing so, I'll see where I'm at with free lines before adding more P2 action toggles.
2 - I'm not sure I know you mean by this. What is loupe? Is this what you are talking about?
3 - I'll try and make a fix for this, too.
4 - Not sure.

And I'm not sure about converting all of this to 1.00. I don't see it being done anytime soon and it would be a lot of work.
Thank you a lot for InGameToggles' ON/OFF.

"loupe" is a circle and a triangle when characters is out of screen.
Now widescreen, this loupe is a little far from edge of screen.

below is better I think. ( there re a loupe and a triangle near the edge of screen)

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
just quoting tafokins idea for a code here: "show nanas percent on screen." Im thinking it could be shown in an unused characters percentage slot.

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
This is a good idea. I think I could if we knew exactly what to modify in 1.02 character DAT files to make NTSC characters act exactly like PAL ones. Then I could make it an option in the debug menu. I know there is this thread (Cross-Version Characters) but that is not even close to everything.
Yeah it would be nice, if you keep it in mind and eventually putting this in some of your next updates.
Together with InGameToggles' ON/OFF and more this would be the best training pack ever, but also the ultimate melee version in general also using it in tournaments in US/EU.

cava

Smash Ace
Can someone send me instructions on what to install to load ISOs on the Wii? I have never hacked a wii before. So far I have installed homebrew and bootmii, and I have the 20xx ISO compiled / created as per the instructions in the original post. Now all I need to know is how to load this iso using homebew. Thanks

Last edited:

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
From what I understand, Japan uses 1.00. And hence why Kou, from Japan, asked me.
Oh okay :o

I didnt know, i thought everyone only use 1.02 and PAL.

Another suggestion :

Is it possible to made 20XX fox and Falco turn in the direction of P1 ?

They just walk in a direction, regardess where the player is, so they SD a lot :/

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Oh okay :o

I didnt know, i thought everyone only use 1.02 and PAL.

Another suggestion :

Is it possible to made 20XX fox and Falco turn in the direction of P1 ?

They just walk in a direction, regardess where the player is, so they SD a lot :/
Are you talking about when they have a P2 action toggle on, that they SD a lot?

Ways to get around this are to toggle the code off when they get to an edge so that they become a cpu and turn around towards you. Or you could use save states to reset positioning.

To answer your question though, yes it's possible. It would require something like checking the horizontal coordinates of each player, then checking what direction they are facing, then spamming what direction is necessary until they turn.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
WOW playing it on my hardmodded Wii, works great. I burned a copy of the disk (2.03) and am running it on the wii without homebrew. Everything is running just fine except the boot to character select doesn't seem to work. If it matters, I get my screen to enable progressive scan, I enable it, then it blacks out, says that progressive scan has been enabled, then it says it can't find a mem card (not using one) and then boots to the regular screen for the game.

I agree though about having it ignore save state if you don't have one saved yet. I would think a simple counter that initializes at 0 would work.

When you rage quit, it doesn't give a star to the winner.

Salty Runback doesn't use randomized music (not sure if you wanted it this way).

I'm also not sure why the cpu runs off the stage and kills himself if you have done P2 reset on a HMN to use as a CPU. When I salty runback and the next match starts it will start running off the stage and committing suicide. He stops once I reset him again, but it requires you do so each match which is mildly annoying.

Suggestions for the future:
Jiggs practice: Back air spam, uthrow rests, and jab reset rests (learn to tech the jab).

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to make it so a stage will pick from a list of three songs? It would be cool to have 3 songs each for the 6 legal stages, and I don't really like random song select.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
Achilles, don't you like Ato's Stock handicap?

I think it's very good cheat for crew battle.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
Also additional suggestion about skip result screen and DEBUG MENU.

replace SKIP RESULT with InGameToggles in DEBUG MENU

SKIP RESULT:
1= star is number of won matches
2= star is placement
3= star is number of took stocks

InGameToggles:
0=Off
1=On(default)

Last edited:

ethicks

Smash Rookie
So I learned today that the frame timings are different on the 20XX hack pack and standard 1.02. Couldn't waveshine in 20XX and I thought for a minute I was going insane. Loaded up standard 1.02v of melee and waveshining was possible again. I'm not sure exactly how or why or even if this happened to anyone else but it's definitely adding frames in my 20XX version.

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
So I learned today that the frame timings are different on the 20XX hack pack and standard 1.02. Couldn't waveshine in 20XX and I thought for a minute I was going insane. Loaded up standard 1.02v of melee and waveshining was possible again. I'm not sure exactly how or why or even if this happened to anyone else but it's definitely adding frames in my 20XX version.
It's exactly the same for me...

Mass

Smash Cadet
Hi guys,
I've been trying to play this for days but I can't get it right.
I'm pretty noob at this, but my Wii's been hacked a while ago by some relative of mine.
So anyway, I got this iso and followed the instructions on the readme document. I don't think I've done anything wrong in this part.
Afterwards I launched Wiiflow on my Wii, and Wiiflow sees my iso, I can click on it and I can press play.
Then my Wii starts loading whatever disc there is in it.

I've browsed the Interwebz in search for answers, and some people were talking about changing the IOS or cIOS of the Wii, but I am not sure how to do it.

Anyway, does anyone have a clue what the problem is? I'm ready to start from scratch again, but I'm just noob at it so if somebody could guide me...

Bye

PS: I've got USB Loader GX as well, but I can't seem to find the isos on this app. I've added the isos on my HDD via WBFS Manager 4.0

Bye^2

Foxdyfx

Smash Rookie
R+Down (spacie shine oos) stops the save and loading features from working as long as the cpu is holding their shield and somehow im able to turn on player 2 fox alt skin after a game finishes

*I think when you load a state with player 2 as fox it will cause him to switch to the alt skin after the game finishes

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
*New Version Release*

(20XX v2.04)
Download Link with Instructions
- Adds a toggle to the debug menu, termed "COLORS", that will make characters turn white during shield stun and flash red during an unsuccessful L cancel.
1 = Colors OFF (default)
2 = Colors ON
3 = 1​
- Pressing d-pad down on the stage select screen no longer causes the game to freeze.
- Loading a save state when one has yet to be stored will no longer cause the game to freeze.

The whole pack is updated on the OP. If you already have a 20XX ISO created, feel free to only replace the DOL file from the pack download and it will add this new stuff. This means you won't have to go through the "rebuilding an ISO" process.

Last edited:

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
You're messing it up. No Johns.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
good update achilles!!

by the way,
I have another suggestion.

I and my friends often misinput d-pad for State load & save.
I think d-pad down and right is too near.
how about replacing State load with InfiniteShields?

Now
←InfiniteShields ON/OFF
↓State Load
→State Save

Suggestion
←State Load
↓InfiniteShields ON/OFF
→State save

If command is changed like this, I think it's more user-friendly.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This is pretty much the worst news I could ever get. Thank you for notifying me of this, though.

Wow...where to go from here....

The last thing I would ever want to do is add any sort of noticeable amount of lag into the game. No one gets anything out of that and it will only hurt you, as a player, in the long run. When I put these codes in the game (and any ASM injection code), I am essentially adding lines of code that the game needs to execute (checks for button activators and such). Now, I'm not aware of the exact number of lines of code that the game executes in one frame (it's a lot), but I must be getting close to this number or something for lines of code that I am adding.

Well, I am devastated, to say the least. I know of a few things I could add to make things more efficient, but it might not even be worth it. It's all crap now and needs to be totally rewritten. I might just take every in-game code completely out...idk. I don't even know what to think right now.

I wish I had my wavebirds to do some testing wth. Can other people run some tests to confirm?

Last edited:

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
You're just going to take his word on that? The rest of us have been waveshining without a hitch. I wouldn't worry about it.

The best way to test would be to make a recording in Dolphin and play it back on Vanilla and on the hack pack. If they're the same, then he's imagining things.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
Excuse me,
What is waveshine?

shine -> Jump -> wavedash ?
or
jump -> shine in a very low height ?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
This is pretty much the worst news I could ever get. Thank you for notifying me of this, though.

Wow...where to go from here....

The last thing I would ever want to do is add any sort of noticeable amount of lag into the game. No one gets anything out of that and it will only hurt you, as a player, in the long run. When I put these codes in the game (and any ASM injection code), I am essentially adding lines of code that the game needs to execute (checks for button activators and such). Now, I'm not aware of the exact number of lines of code that the game executes in one frame (it's a lot), but I must be getting close to this number or something for lines of code that I am adding.

Well, I am devastated, to say the least. I know of a few things I could add to make things more efficient, but it might not even be worth it. It's all crap now and needs to be totally rewritten. I might just take every in-game code completely out...idk. I don't even know what to think right now.

I wish I had my wavebirds to do some testing wth. Can other people run some tests to confirm?
There is no change of anything speed-wise in my game. Everything is perfect. I can waveshine all day.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
You're just going to take his word on that? The rest of us have been waveshining without a hitch. I wouldn't worry about it.

The best way to test would be to make a recording in Dolphin and play it back on Vanilla and on the hack pack. If they're the same, then he's imagining things.
Good suggestion. It technically is (or well, could possibly be in the future) an issue. I really didn't think I was getting that close to adding in a noticeable amount of lag, though. A while back, I tried "skipping over" lines of code to make a value in the memory change, that I know would change to a different value one frame later. I clicked through seemingly hundreds of lines of code before I gave up, coming to the conclusion that the game runs through a mind-boggling amount of lines of code in just one frame - really makes you appreciate how complex the game is. So yeah, because of this, I was never too concerned about hitting that mark of adding in significant amounts of lag. For what it's worth, I personally have not noticed anything but I also have only played one lengthy session with the ISO. But anytime I test a code, I always **** around for a few minutes doing tech skill and stuff and have never noticed anything.

Btw, if you do the spacie shine pressure P2 action toggle with colors on, it will seem like P2 is not l-cancelling, as he will be flashing red when he lands from moves. What I did here was hardcode (0.5*normal landing lag) into the memory that corresponds to nair and dair aerial landing lags.

Anyway, free space in the DOL is becoming VERY scarce, after adding those color codes. I might run some tests today to see if I can get as many lines of code as P:M has available for use. (This is running codes with the Gecko codehandler, not DOL mods. But having WAY more available lines than the normal 255 which is why P:M has so much cool stuff).

I think next up is removing the insane SDI from the P2 CPU.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Excuse me,
What is waveshine?

shine -> Jump -> wavedash ?
or
jump -> shine in a very low height ?
it is shine -> Jump -> wavedash (-> shine -> repeat)

good update achilles!!

by the way,
I have another suggestion.

I and my friends often misinput d-pad for State load & save.
I think d-pad down and right is too near.
how about replacing State load with InfiniteShields?

Now
←InfiniteShields ON/OFF
↓State Load
→State Save

Suggestion
←State Load
↓InfiniteShields ON/OFF
→State save

If command is changed like this, I think it's more user-friendly.
I actually wanted it to be this way in the first place. The only reason why I didn't is because d-pad left was infinite shield in the first hack pack and I thought it would be a good idea to keep it the same toggle in second hack pack. But I agree with you, it should be changed. And I might do this with the next update.

Also additional suggestion about skip result screen and DEBUG MENU.

replace SKIP RESULT with InGameToggles in DEBUG MENU

SKIP RESULT:
1= star is number of won matches
2= star is placement
3= star is number of took stocks

InGameToggles:
0=Off
1=On(default)
This is also a good idea but I'm not going to think about doing this until I figure some stuff out with available code lines.

And as for the stock handicap code, I think it's creative and a good code, but save states can be used pretty effectively for crew battles for the time being.

example: Start a match --> save state immediately at start. Player 2 kills himself twice because he lost two stocks in the last match. Then the crowd can count down 3-2-1 ---> load state --> players start

Ideally, if I can get more code lines, some sort of crew battle mode will be implemented.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
R+Down (spacie shine oos) stops the save and loading features from working as long as the cpu is holding their shield and somehow im able to turn on player 2 fox alt skin after a game finishes

*I think when you load a state with player 2 as fox it will cause him to switch to the alt skin after the game finishes
Just tested on my wii. I can still save and load states even when P2 is in shield with the shine oos toggle on.

I just had that issue with the P2 fox alt costume appearing on after a game finished, but it's definitely not just due to loading a save state when P2 is fox. Because I just tried that and it didn't change him to his alt costume. idk why this happened.

Is there a way to make it so a stage will pick from a list of three songs? It would be cool to have 3 songs each for the 6 legal stages, and I don't really like random song select.
This can be done, but you'd have to talk to Sham Rock.

WOW playing it on my hardmodded Wii, works great. I burned a copy of the disk (2.03) and am running it on the wii without homebrew. Everything is running just fine except the boot to character select doesn't seem to work. If it matters, I get my screen to enable progressive scan, I enable it, then it blacks out, says that progressive scan has been enabled, then it says it can't find a mem card (not using one) and then boots to the regular screen for the game.

I agree though about having it ignore save state if you don't have one saved yet. I would think a simple counter that initializes at 0 would work.

When you rage quit, it doesn't give a star to the winner.

Salty Runback doesn't use randomized music (not sure if you wanted it this way).

I'm also not sure why the cpu runs off the stage and kills himself if you have done P2 reset on a HMN to use as a CPU. When I salty runback and the next match starts it will start running off the stage and committing suicide. He stops once I reset him again, but it requires you do so each match which is mildly annoying.

Suggestions for the future:
Jiggs practice: Back air spam, uthrow rests, and jab reset rests (learn to tech the jab).
Thanks for the comments. Boot to CSS was removed to give better compatibility with a few codes (check the changelist in the OP). Oddly enough, when I test things at my girlfriend's house, her tv asks me to do the progressive scan thing as well. And even when I had Boot to the CSS enabled, it still wouldn't.

I fixed the save state thing in v2.04.

I wrote the rage quit --> no star thing on purpose. Because no matter what time during the match that you ragequit, the player that was ahead at the time would get a star.

Didn't plan for salty runback to not use randomized music but eh...whatever. Not worth my time, or the code lines, right now to fix.

And I don't know about the CPU walking off the stage thing. I may try and fix that soon.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
How do I add new costumes? Which file do I need to replace/add?
So again, there are currently only 3 alternate costume changes available. But you can change these costumes to different ones than those that I put in that pack if you so choose.

Costume -------------- Associated File ------ Normal File Name
Normal Fox ---------- TyRoyR.dat -------------- PlFxNr.dat
Blue C. Falcon ----- TySeak.dat --------------- PlCaBu.dat
Normal Marth ------- TyLink.dat ---------------- PlMsNr.dat

But you MUST be weary about what costume the texture hack you are adding in is for. If you end up replacing TyRoyR.dat with a different fox costume, it MUST be one that normally replaces PlFxNr.dat (Normal Fox).

So for example, you cannot replace TySeak.dat with Green Ranger C. Falcon if the Green Ranger C. Falcon file normally replaces the green falcon costume (PlCaGr.dat). It has to be one that normally replaces PlCaBu.dat (which Captain America does).

But feel free to use InternetExplorer's Melee Toolkit to extract texture files from one costume and replace them on another costume.
So you could extract all the green ranger textures, open up PlCaBu.dat in the Toolkit, and then replace all those textures with the green ranger ones. Save it, then extract out that new PlCaBu file and replace TySeak.dat in your 20XX ISO with it.

Also Goxplex, I messaged you on Reddit with a DOL file for having Rumble ON by default. I also added it to the OP under a "variations" category, underneath the normal download link - if anyone else would like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom