• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

that one stage that makes you roll your eyes

D

Deleted member

A lot of stages in this game make me cringe. There are the overly large Palutena's Temple, the very gimmicky Great Cave Offensive, the terribly designed 75m and Yoshi's Island, the absolutely boring Mario Circuit from Brawl, the MS Paint made Pac-Land, and Pyrosphere and Wily's Castle for having large and completely unfun stage hazards.

However, my top choice is easily by far Lylat Cruise Omega. This stage is completely unfair with its stage design as its incredibly narrow ledges completely nerfs some recoveries or outright ruins them. I've lost several times on this stage because of its ledges and I've seen some decent players do the same. If I encounter this stage, I would an effort to leave because I am not going to deal with something like that. It baffles my mind that the awful design here was OK'd and the ledges weren't taken into consideration...

Last edited by a moderator:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Asides from the obvious terrible stages that everyone thinks are terrible.

I honestly HATE and DESPISE Final Destination in Wii U. The background is far too distracting and bright and it's just so *bleh*

D

Deleted member

I honestly HATE and DESPISE Final Destination in Wii U. The background is far too distracting and bright and it's just so *bleh*
I have to agree with the background being too distracting. Sometimes I just get blinded when it reaches the part when the background turns white and I mess up as a result. I tend to pick other Omega stages over Final Destination.
Personally, I prefer Melee Final Destination over the ones in Brawl and 4.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Don't listen to my signature. Great Cave Offensive is the most horrible map on this game hands down.

Last edited:

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who doesn't like Gamer is an idiot. It's easily the best casual stage in the game.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
75m. There's no point in fighting your opponent because you have to fight the stage. And those ladders just mess up every jump attempt.

But for one I actually see often...Lylat Cruise. I hated it in Brawl, I still hate it now. The stupid ledges and stage tilting messes up so much of my game. Just because there are no Hazards doesn't mean it's neutral. It's easier to die from this stage than to die on Wuhu or Skyloft.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
For past stages probably Pokemon Stadium 2 and Port Town Aero Dive just because their Melee equivalents were much better (Stadium 1 and Mute City) as well as Brawl's Mario Circuit (boring to look at and should have been Peach's Castle from Melee).

For new stages probably Skyloft (I dunno it's just really boring) and Orbital Gate Assault (waaay too much going on)

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I actually don't mind large stages, they're fun for large smashes. Just gotta flush that one stupid guy out of his camping spot.

As for what I hate:
75m - If you've read this thread, you know why.
Lylat - those tilts seriously infuriate me.
Lylat(Omega) - Mostly just as Dedede, anyone else and I don't mind it. Good luck recovering D3.
Pac-Land - MSPaintgoooo
Pac-Land (Omega) - MSPaintgoooo
Mario Circuit (Wii U) - stages with cars make me mad.
Port Town Aero Drive - stages with cars make me mad.
Mario Circuit (Brawl) - see above. GET LOST.
Wily Castle - Yellow Devil
Pyrosphere (outside 8-player smash) - Ridley.
Pokemon Stadium 2 (outside 8PS) - Transformations suck so much.
Boxing Ring - because we didn't get back the ultimate 3DS Minor Circuit BGM somehow. A case could be made that I hate Castle Seige then because we didn't get Power-Hungry Fool, but I really like Castle Seige whereas I'm very ehhh about this one already.

My favorites are:
Smashville (nostalgic from Brawl)
Delfino (also nostalgic, but of SMS)
Temple (it's a staple. It was, is, and probably always will be the best "big stage".

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Orbital Gate Assault

I get it, this stage was make over more than a year, but that doesn't make it good. There is way too much gling on with that stage...

JellyNut

Smash Cadet
NNID
JellyNut
3DS FC
2595-1508-4102
SANIC LAAAST WAARLD because the spring is dumb, the overall curve of the stage is annoying and the grass is pretty ugly imo. (Also despise green hill zone) Furthermore, I dislike most large/scrolling stages aside from Hyrule Temple and Mushroomy Kingdom (I dislike the way Mushroomy Kingdom looks, but I do really like the stage.) I don't like most big stages because I find it hard to concentrate on the characters. Also Smashville. It returned for no reason.

_gold_

Smash Master
The Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Castle are insanely big. It's way too big for 8 players... 16 players would be more fitting for the sheer size of those stages. 75m and Jungle Hijinxs kindof suck too.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
fin Wario Ware, man. The normal version's mini-games are annoying, the theme music is taunting and it's got very small walls making it difficult for most of my mains to recover on. Also, those moving lines are evil.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
75M, Pac Land are just overall the worst I don't even need to give an explanation.
I don't like Castle Siege mainly because of its 2nd transformation and how cramped it is on 8 player smash. Skyloft is nice, but some transformations ruin it. Wuhu Island and Pilotwings are ok, but shouldn't be tournament allowed. Duck Hunt Stage is actually pretty nice as it seems to be the only real counter-pick that I enjoy. Big Battlefield is generally welcomed I think tournaments really should allow this stage to be legal as a counter-pick.

I personally love Palutena's Temple even though it is pretty ****ing big it allows for epic 1 v 1s with all these nice places to fight on and allows you to practice your off-stage combat pretty nicely and your recovery, but the top portion of the stage is kinda meh... The only good part is the floaty island at the top left, but that goes away every now and then. Have no ****ing clue why Jungle Hijinx can't be incorporated as an 8 player stage as that would be one of my favorite 8 player stages if allowed. Windy Hill Zone is awful. I once Up-Bd someone as Mario next to the windmill, but since the opponent was slowly going into the distance and I actually landed on one of those Windmill platforms that was above the blastzone I got KOd and the opponent won because of that ****ing complete bull****. Springs are also really trolly just like Kongo Jungle's barrels, but Kongo Jungle is actually pretty nice. Temple is awesome as ****, but absolutely screw Lylat Cruise. That fact that some tournaments have it as a STARTER is ridiculous. Tilting, hard as **** ledges, obvious counter-pick, but ledges that you can get inside of.... Yeah, tournaments need to be this stage. Any stage that doesn't have a slope near the edge is worth banning. I also hate flat-bottomed omega stages because they ruin off-stage combat recovering.

Even worser I have to deal with this **** in classic mode just to get Customs and Challenge **** so having to deal with god-awful insta-kill stage hazards like Kalos League's immediate spike hazard or Nabbit just is a frustrating hell or having to deal with Metal in Kalos while in Crazy Orders just to have it stall the entire ****ing match for another minute.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
75M, Pac-Land, Pyrosphere.

Why fight others when you're too busy fighting the stage?
Why was this done in MS Paint?
Why is Ridley a god awful stage hazard that misrepresents him in almost every way possible?

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I have to agree with the background being too distracting. Sometimes I just get blinded when it reaches the part when the background turns white and I mess up as a result. I tend to pick other Omega stages over Final Destination.
Personally, I prefer Melee Final Destination over the ones in Brawl and 4.
I completely agree with everything you just said. That flash of white is the worst part.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
When playing for fun (Timed matches, items on), Great Cave Offensive is way too big even though it's a beautiful stage. Even for 8-player.

Pac-Land is very annoying. I do like the arcade music medleys though.

In 3DS, Pictochat2 and Flat Zone 2. I would dislike Magicant as well because Flying Man, but the music and its beauty make up for it.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Pretty much any stage that is massive like the 8 player ones or stages that constantly change terrain (besides Pokemon Stadium) make me wanna quit. I'm a simple guy who likes simple flat stages with a few platforms. I like all of the Omega stages EXCEPT FOR LYLAT CRUISE. God I hate that stage, it's almost guaranteed that someome will die because they got caught under the stage. I'm fairly certain Satan made that stage.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Also, while I don't hate it (I rather like it, actually), I find the Yoshi's Wolly World stage to be kind of annoying since it's from a game that doesn't even have a set release-date.

Like... Why?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also, while I don't hate it (I rather like it, actually), I find the Yoshi's Wolly World stage to be kind of annoying since it's from a game that doesn't even have a set release-date.

Like... Why?
One could argue that about Shadow Moses in Brawl being based off of the MGS4 appearance rather than the original MGS appearance. Plus Roy (the terrible FE lord).

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
Stages I dislike:

75m (why did this even return)
Great Cave Offensive
Palutena's Temple
Garden of Hope
Gaur Plain (my most hated)
Windy Hill Zone

I don't like most of the big stages and I really wish they didn't show up online in For Fun.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Nothing beats The Great Cave Offensive as the worst stage in the game. Period. All the other stages everyone here posted I really enjoy, including the stages with hazards on them, like Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple are way too freakin' huge, but Orbital Gate Assault is just the worst. Way too much stuff going on. It's such a shame too, because it looks really, really photogenic.

Also one game later and 75m still sucks.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Any transforming/scrolling stage. I have to constantly platform not fight.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
75m and Norfair highly annoy me.
But temple is one of my favorite stages, especially in 8 player smash.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
75m, Palutena's Temple, and every big stage for the matter of fact annoys me to no end...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
75m, I'm OK with.
Large Stages are fun for me. Especially GCO.
Lylat is a bit jerkish, but still a good time.
PAC-LAND is a favorite of mine.
Norfair is kinda funny with it's Lava.
In fact, I love all the stages in Smash U and 3DS.

Except one.
Orbital Gate Assault.
The amount of times I died a bull**** death from the stage alone is WAY too much to count.
Examples;
The Arwings spawning "conveniently" directly above me with no way to recover, especially when I try and recover beforehand leading to me falling to my death for a good 5 seconds.
The Missle's explosion.
The Electric Wall.
The Arwings spawning just a few inches above me with no way to recover since the Ship is blocking my vertical height, forcing me to fall to my death for a good 5+ seconds.
(Not a Death but) The amount of good Starfox Music on that stage that I can rarely ever listen to since the stage makes too much commotion on it's own without anything going on in the first place.
THE ****ING ARWINGS' SPAWN POSITION
I love playing Non-Omega Form for most stages (Even the giant ones and moving ones, but Woolly World takes the cake) but Orbital Gate Assault is that one stage that not only do I only go on Omega when I'm playing with Friends or Locally, but I turned off both it's Normal and Omega Forms in the Random Stage Selection.

I love how Sakurai put so much cool details into it, but it's basically un-playable to me, especially when I wanna be heavier characters or someone like Little Mac.

But y'know, that's just my opinion. :4yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's Island from Melee comes to mind, not because of any poor design choices from the stage itself, but rather because of the fact that in Classic Mode, the player is sometimes forced to fight against 7 opponents on the small stage, making battles feel cramped.
It didn't help that a GIANT :4bowser: once intruded this sort of match and won easily.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
I'd play any stage as long as it isn't Kalos Pokemon League. **** that stage and it's million terrible hazards.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The awful awful AWFUL Pac-Man stage. That is not how you make a retro-inspired stage, Samurai. Pac-Maze on the 3DS is so much better.

Top Bottom