• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That One Character Who You Don't Know How to Fight

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
TO CLARIFY: this is not a 'best/worst match-ups thread'

To explain, whether it's online or against a CPU, I always seem to struggle against Mario a LOT. Like, I don't know what it is. I just can't, no matter which character I'm using.

And I do well in general, I could be beating this guy online while he uses his main, but when he pulls out Mario, he can 2-stock me, or at the very least beat me with 1 stock and 50%~ percent.

So it seemed like an interesting though: Does anyone else have just THAT ONE CHARACTER that is their weakness, no matter who they play as?

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I can see why, dude's set for war.

Do you have the same problem with Toon Link as well or just Link? XP

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't know how to fight Olimar or Yoshi

HolyCarp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5043-3834-6566
Greninja on any stage where I can't see his shadow :(

helado caducado

Smash Rookie
NNID
khmaster
3DS FC
3265-5104-9952
I dont know how to figth the duck hunt dog,
I hate that dog

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Diddy Kong. Not sure what to do against this character.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Megaman and Sonic give me the most trouble at the minute. For Megaman, he has so many projectiles, there's just so much happening at the one time. Sonic is just TOO FAST I can't keep up with him. He's fast, strong, and hard to hit. It doesn't really help either that not many people play these two, so I don't get much time practicing against them.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Bowser Jr and Mii Brawlers have been giving me the most trouble so far. Greninja is a nuisance when played well too. I had problems with spammable-projectile characters online early on (Link, Samus, etc), but I've gotten past those since.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Greninja's low stance makes him hard to fight as shorthopping doesn't work, basically need to rely on grabs and generally playing on the defensive. A good Rosaluma is just rediculous, hate fighting her so much. The only way I can take games off one is too switch to Jiggs and try for the 50% Rest kills.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
No idea how to go against Rosalina (even tho i play her lol), Pac-Man, Olimar, and sometimes Duck Hunt depending on the character

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Ike, but only in a 4 player match. He eats through all of my attacks and hits hard. This wouldn't be a problem if 9 times out of 10 I didn't have everyone seemingly gang up on me whenever I try to attack him... Yeah I'm salty...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Whenever I'm playing as any character other than Palutena, I can't win against Samus, Mega Man, Dedede, and Link. They stall with projectiles until the cows come home, and if I try to approach by jumping, whammo, because jumping is extremely punishable now (except for Jigglypuff).

I don't have the same problem against Toon Link, though, oddly enough.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
:4sheik:: For all the hype she gets out of being the supposed best out of all the characters, (Even I think this for goddness sake.) why do I barely ever see her. I only faced her once and in that one instance I got my butt handed to me on a silver platter. Sheik is the one character I doubt I'll ever fight well against as I am now.

D

Deleted member

TO CLARIFY: this is not a 'best/worst match-ups thread'

To explain, whether it's online or against a CPU, I always seem to struggle against Mario a LOT. Like, I don't know what it is. I just can't, no matter which character I'm using.

And I do well in general, I could be beating this guy online while he uses his main, but when he pulls out Mario, he can 2-stock me, or at the very least beat me with 1 stock and 50%~ percent.

So it seemed like an interesting though: Does anyone else have just THAT ONE CHARACTER that is their weakness, no matter who they play as?
I am a competitive Mario main/G&W main.
If you want, we can have a non Ban Blocking match.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
As a :4ganondorf: main, I get a lot of trouble from :4sheik: and :4greninja:. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to keep up with them.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Megaman and Sonic give me the most trouble at the minute. For Megaman, he has so many projectiles, there's just so much happening at the one time. Sonic is just TOO FAST I can't keep up with him. He's fast, strong, and hard to hit. It doesn't really help either that not many people play these two, so I don't get much time practicing against them.
I'm not boned against Mega Man myself, but I seriously don't know how to face Sonic. I can't ever hit him consista tly as TLink.

My biggest pet perve is Little Mac cause I'm not quick enough to do true comboes and gimping. I know he's not OP, but he punishes way too easily and hard. Countering in the air is total bull ****, too.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac. Honestly the only one I have trouble fighting. Samurinerfpls

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Olimar so much. Also some Little Macs. You'd think I could deal with Olimar, but nope. Pikmin Throw just messes me up.

And of course Rosalina, but she's just really good so idk.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Puff. Not sure why since it should be easy to pop this floaty pink thing, but I get wrecked by any Puff who just floats near the ground and uses fair/bairs.

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
The one in particular that comes to mind is Sonic. I spend too much time in a shield whenever I'm matched up with him. Oddly enough, I've still managed to beat the majority of the Sonic players that come my way due to the one thing;
they will flat-out kill themselves.

One guy in For Glory went from taunting me with "SONIC SPEEED" one second, to using D-air straight to the blast zone the next, after I projectile-poked him out of Spin Dash a couple times: dude literally jump-canceled his third Spin Dash while I stood there motionless, watching as he dive kicked past me and dropped like a fly. A lot of good sonic speed did him.

Still figuring Rosalina, too.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I hate fighting Shulk. His Vision is way to good, along with his range and Monado Arts. :mad:

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Rosalina. When my projectiles aren't being tanked by Luma or absorbed by Gravitational Pull, her weirdly animated moves wreck me.

As an Olimar main, it seems like a lot of people online can't fight against him effectively.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Rosalina.

The luma himself isn't really a problem: it's quite easy to get rid off with Zelda. Rosalina, on the other hand... Smashes and aerials have range, and that dash attack... Either I shield it and can't counter, either I shield only the first it, or I shield it... And get grabbed.

I seriously don't know how to fight her.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Good ol' Sanic Blue Ball. Does he even have legs?

I'm never sure when I can actually hit him, as a good number of his moves flat out over-prioritize mine. Plus he's too goddamn fast and I can never get a solid read or grab on him. Maybe it'll get better with the Wii U version.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Shulk. I just have no idea what to do, and I usually just win by chance.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
The absolute only character I don't know how to approach is Rosalina. That god forsaken Luma ruins everything, and it only stays gone for around 10 seconds. At least with Sonic, I have a sliver of a chance to do something against her.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Ness and Shiek when playing :4falcon:, and when playing :4robinf:, I hate fighting Marth / Lucina, and really good Little Mac players.
When playing Falcon, Ness and Shiek are really good at spacing and can keep me at bay with their projectiles.
When playing Robin, Marth / Lucina break through my shields and can easily dodge my Arcfires, while Little Mac is hard to deal with because I feel like Robin isn't that great at getting Mac off stage and keeping him there.

iNoobtacular

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-2152-6416
Yoshi.
I just can't seem to punish him for the life of me. Not to mention his Eggs always **** on my neutral game. :/

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I have no idea how to yoshi, he's just so weird and seems to have crazy priority on his moves.(but it's mostly because i don't get to fight very many good yoshi's, i think.) Then there's dedede vs sonic, it seems almost impossible not to get punished for doing ANYTHING whilst half of sonic's stuff is safe against him.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Sheik. Oh look you hit my shield with f-air. I guess I'll just jump offstage and suicide cause I can't do anything to punish that.

Last edited:

Aldri

Smash Cadet
I have major trouble with Sonic. He's just...so....fast! It's good to see, though, since I thought he was kinda weak in Brawl.

I also have major trouble with characters who can reflect Robin's spells back in his face, save for Fox. I can predict Fox. I'm not so good at predicting Mario capes, Pit shields or Zelda shields yet, and Zelda is especially annoying because she can also throw quick-moving, unpredictable fire spells at me while I'm trying to charge Thoron.

It's also annoying when Link blocks Thoron by just freakin' standing there. I haven't seen many Links online, though. I'm sure if I do they'll wreck me.

D

Deleted member

:4tlink:Especially when he uses his arrows, bombs, and boomerang like a damn maniac.
:4sheik:She's speedy, has a powerful warp attack that can throw me off guard (the 3DS helps with the box feature, but that's not on the Wii U version), and has needles that are very gimping. I won a match by complete luck by landing a meteor smash.
:4yoshi:Specifically when people throw his eggs around...
:4dedede:Is still a nightmare for me as a Luigi main. I dunno why I have difficulty against King Dedede.

Top Bottom