• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That awkward moment...

AXE 09

Smash Master
When you go to shake hands but the person offers a dap, so you go to dap but he switches to a handshake. mindgames.

In doubles when you go to shake hands and theres just a clusterf**k of hands everywhere lol
LMAO this x10

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also, sometimes I'll read something completely by accident and tell them that I listened to their controller. Apparently I did this to Germ once and he killed himself trying to trick me by mashing =(
Hahahahaha!!!

I'm going to have to agree whole-heartedly on dash dancing attempt = random pivots, accidental kill = wow great mindgames!, awkwardness in handshakes, and awkwardness after beating someone salty with a random character.

How about, when you can tell someone really thought they would beat you and are obviously very frustrated by the loss. I see this every now and then as ganon. Awkward.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
When Peach's up-B isn't high enough to make the stage / ledge, but she floats downward loftily regardless.

Pi

Smash Hero
when you ask for next, and they're like 'sure :D'
and then you pick samus and nobody talks/someone unplugs and walks away

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
when both players are on their last stock and ur getting combo'd and the person, and then the person combing you sd's *coughcough*(scar)

and when someone throws their controller

when someone falls for when u spam roll while ur answering ur phone

when someone unpauses then kills you instantly

when someone falls asleep while playing (the phil special)

when someone unplugs a whole table of tv's where tourney matches are being played

when someone walks out the bathroom, then u walk in and ur first reaction is "GOD DAMM" *covers nose*

when someone gets angry and yanks their controller out after they lost and the cord hits someone randomly (julian tko'ing macd LOL)

this is what class can make u remember to type

shoutouts to school

and awkward moments LOOOL

Pi

Smash Hero
When you play some terrible character in friendlies against someone else's main and you win a match you probably should have lost and before the next game you're wondering if they're salty and want you to give them a chance to beat you in that matchup or if they just want you to cut the bull**** and go back to playing your main.
i hate that especially when my off char is not doing so hot

to break it i usually say 'i don't want to play marth again' out loud w/ as much of an indifferent tone as i can muster

i think to counter the awkward SD moments i'm just going to get really pissed off when my opponent SD's 'WTF, WHY WOULD YOU ****ING DO THAT MAN, SERIOUSLY, GOD DAMNIT'

Bones0

Smash Legend
You flub a jump cancelled up smash as Fox and they end up jumping OOS right into your up air.

You miss the L-cancel on a stomp that would have led to an easy knee. Your opponent has already **** his pants assuming he would die, and then you'll just sitting on the ground like, "Havin' a damn picnic there CF? HURRY!"

You try to shine turn-around bair and end up getting stuck in your shine.

You're Marth and you accidently tech-jump and horror comes across your face as you desperately use weak side-Bs in a desperate attempt to get an inch closer so you can grab the ledge after your up-B.

Zelda trying to recover straight upwards so you just slowly walk to the ledge, turn around, and SH onto it.

When your teammate is a Jiggs and he rests someone, but when you try to wake him up before the other opponent hits him, you realize he is at like 150% so you panic and kill him.

Getting saved because you collided with your teammate in midair.

When you are playing M2K and pick black Marth or green Fox.

Falco's shine stops knocking them into the falling animation, but they were at a high percent so they awkwardly levitate above you like a genie.

You tech as Luigi, and have to anticipate the latent momentum as you slide off the stage anyway.

Waiting for your opponent as they take an eternity to scroll through a giant *** list of tags.

Trying to tug on your controller cord to unplug it from afar so as not to block the TV, only to realize that that particular GameCube has some sort of vice grip on your plug. You then end up distracting the next two players more than if you had simply reached in front of the screen to pull it out.

You go to play a friendly and realize the TV you sat down at has two people at 150%+ on their last stock and instantly wish you had come in 10 seconds later.

When you snap your control or c-stick in that weird way that makes it sound like you just broke it in half. Also happen with Z if you flick the end sometimes.

You go to shake someone's hand and they don't notice and you end up sitting their with your hand in the air for a second.

I might post some more later. I think I thrive on and enjoy awkward moments more than the average person.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Oh, and when someone air-dodges off or otherwise SD's, but you jab or otherwise save them instantly on accident before having time to realize they're SD'ing.

when you ask for next, and they're like 'sure :D'
and then you pick samus and nobody talks/someone unplugs and walks away
More awkward: They say "sure" then continue playing forever

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Jman and Chops were playing friendlies once, and I asked if I could get next, and they said it was tournament so I couldn't...

that was awkward...

since it wasn't tournament...

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
When you ask who someone is, and it turns out to be a pro, and you had no idea it was them cause you don't know what they look like.

1000posts

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
Your first tournament. Especially when it's in Europe and you're (the only one) from the US. And it's an international. And you suck. That was just one whole awkward mess (the tourney was BEAST). It didn't help that when I finally got up the courage to finally ask for a match, the person I had asked turned out to be Fuzzyness (Edgeluca's point). Copious amounts of **** ensued.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Your first tournament. Especially when it's in Europe and you're (the only one) from the US. And it's an international. And you suck. That was just one whole awkward mess (the tourney was BEAST). It didn't help that when I finally got up the courage to finally ask for a match, the person I had asked turned out to be Fuzzyness (Edgeluca's point). Copious amounts of **** ensued.
Oh yeah I met Fuzzyness in May 2010 when he came to BC. He's a nice guy.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
When you're shooting projectiles in the direction away from your opponent...and then still shooting projectiles in that direction.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
When I SD doing a retreating laser with falco
When marth kills me with Fsmash at 30% (often edgeguarding my CF)
Trying to tech an attack but I fail and air dodge to SD.
Getting stuck in shine
Trying to fall down from platform and doing a dair but ending up Dsmashing on the platform several times with falco.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
That's messed up.
haha yea it was

they both ended up making up for it though

JMan played against me in me and PP's hotel room for about an hour later that night after singles ended

and Chops friendlied me a ton at TO6 and even got ColBol and QDVS to play against me for a long time as well

just at the time

it was awkward XD

Beat!

Smash Master
You didn't suck (dunno if you remember me). Your edge guarding with peach was nice :).

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Kira-

Smash Champion
This thread is gold. I would multi-quote every single good one, but I won't.

When you and your opponent are shielding at the same time, right next to each other, for like 3 seconds.
DAMMIT that was my contribution to the thread. Then either you bair first and eat a bair or you someone rolls. I also love when your backs are to each other, both shielding, and you both angle your shield towards each other LOL

Also when people complain about camping... or keep SD'ing and getting mad about it.. or when they keep saying "I airdodged" or "I teched that", when clearly they got hit. Or when they keep johning about their controller.

Bones0

Smash Legend
When you are doing dittos and you spawn on opposite platforms and end up doing the same thing in the beginning (particular example I think of is Marth dittos where my friend and I both WDed off the plats towards the middle and faired each other).

CF nair clanking in dittos.

You use your get up attack from the ledge as Fox or Falco when the wind on Dream Land is blowing and end up regrabbing it.

You and your opponent both die at the same time in tournament, so you both sit on the angel platform for like 10 seconds until it forces you down so you don't waste your invincibility. It's almost even weirder when someone dies on their own and waits to collect their thoughts or something.

Getting spiked by Marth's and Roy's counters.

Falling in the lava on Brinstar as a fast faller and having to decide between bouncing on the lava and taking massive damage or DIing onto the stage and taking massive damage from your opponent.

When you would normally get knocked off the stage but you somehow land on a platform and because you were DIing it just shows you slowly walking along right after you took an fsmash to the face.

Waiting for Samus on Dream Land as she bomb jumps from the edge of oblivion for 2 minutes.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You and your opponent both die at the same time in tournament, so you both sit on the angel platform for like 10 seconds until it forces you down so you don't waste your invincibility. It's almost even weirder when someone dies on their own and waits to collect their thoughts or something.
I do this on occasion. There are times when I'm not playing well or even thinking right and I need to rethink my strategy so I don't lose it. It's helped me make some comebacks before.
Usually though it consists of "Strong Bad... use Bair more."

Bones0

Smash Legend
I do this on occasion. There are times when I'm not playing well or even thinking right and I need to rethink my strategy so I don't lose it. It's helped me make some comebacks before.
Usually though it consists of "Strong Bad... use Bair more."
Make your tag "Bair" so you remember more easily. XD

t3h Icy

Smash Master
When someone is visibly and verbally frustrated with you chaingrabbing them.

And then you do it some more. :awesome:

rhan

Smash Hero
When you grab your partner in a team match and you just hold him there..

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Just a few... (mostly in run-on sentence format).

When you're playing against somebody who's definitely much better than you are and you do something groovy and get the kill and they say "nice," and you don't know what to say so you just mumble "thanks" and then realize that you never compliment anything they do.

When you get some sort of gnarly gimp on a Fox and then taunt because you're all proud, only to remember too late that Fox's recovery is really really really long.

Accidental techs and powershields (especially on stitch-faces).

When you're a low-tier main and sit down for some friendlies and pick your low-tier character but people think you're just goofing around and then pick some random low-tier that they sort of secondary and then you keep on beating them by a significant margin but they're too proud to just switch to their main.

Misfiring or 9ing your partner in teams.

Accidentally misfiring somebody in teams from way across the stage.

YYGing somebody in friendlies who doesn't know what the YYG is (more funny than awkward, but still.)

-Ran

Smash Master
Most awkward Smash moment for me was a few nights ago, I was playing a Samus player at high percent, and perfect-shielded his fully charged blast, and then grabbed him immediately after the death scream. Marth's grab is Op.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Most awkward thing ever is when you're playing a scrub, and you shield, and he just running grabs you. I'm just like *facepalm*.

Kira-

Smash Champion
When the match is over and both players put their controller down.. and then one person is just standing on Randall. And then you both have to keep playing.

Top Bottom