• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Tharja's trophy is M.I.A., was she removed to avoid a T rating?

R0Y

Smash Master
Remember the ESRB leak shots of her? Well, all the other pics are trophies in-game. Tharja is not in the JP version. Was she removed everywhere to avoid a CERO (Japan) B or an ESRB T? The Japan angle seems unlikely because... japan. PEGI was harsher than those boards giving SSB4 a 12 anyway.

That's just my theory, why do you think she was removed?

Last edited:

Qikz

Smash Cadet
I'd be really upset if they did remove her trophy entirely as she's one of my favourite Fire Emblem characters. Hopefully she'll appear in the Wii U version with a better model.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The trophy model could always be made to be less revealing, though that's kind of hard to do if you're trying to stay true to her artwork.

R0Y

Smash Master
I'd be really upset if they did remove her trophy entirely as she's one of my favourite Fire Emblem characters. Hopefully she'll appear in the Wii U version with a better model.
Wouldn't surprise me if after the Awakening DLC censorship complains Nintendo removed it from every version if someone at the ESRB said "she's a T. You want an E10+ so bad you can't keep her outfit in."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The ESRB leak also showed 686 trophies, but the total in the final product ended up 684, meaning another trophy was removed...curious indeed.

The second screenshot is particularly risqué I would think, so maybe she could be censored a bit on the Wii U version, if she's there.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
The ESRB leak also showed 686 trophies, but the total in the final product ended up 684, meaning another trophy was removed...curious indeed.

The second screenshot is particularly risqué I would think, so maybe she could be censored a bit on the Wii U version, if she's there.
Its not that bad honestly. If they did want to "cover" up, then why not make it a black void like Rosalina's skirt? Or make her cape attached to her, so nothing is really showing.

Also no one is complaining about Beach Shulk.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Palutena in Uprising has a lock on her Idol so you can't look under her skirt, doesn't she? Wonder why they didn't do that this time.
Ah well, never cared much for Tharja.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Honestly, Tharja is such a terrible character that I can't say I am bothered by her trophy being removed from the game. Still, I think they could have replaced her trophy by the trophy of some other Awakening character instead of simply removing it.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Remember the ESRB leak shots of her? Well, all the other pics are trophies in-game. Tharja is not in the JP version. Was she removed everywhere to avoid a CERO (Japan) B or an ESRB T? The Japan angle seems unlikely because... japan. PEGI was harsher than those boards giving SSB4 a 12 anyway.

That's just my theory, why do you think she was removed?

Wait. WHAT? First no Morgan and now no Tharja...

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Honestly, Tharja is such a terrible character that I can't say I am bothered by her trophy being removed from the game. Still, I think they could have replaced her trophy by the trophy of some other Awakening character instead of simply removing it.
Cherche. Number five most popular female in Japan after Lucina (playable), Robin (playable), Tharja (supposed to get a trophy) and Cordelia (trophy). In the DLC poll, at least, which you can find here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

Or Henry/Nowi, in the second poll right here: http://old.serenesforest.net/fe13/img/fe13poll.jpg
Although Nowi would get the same treatment as Tharja, looking at the clothes she's normally wearing and how young she looks.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What male Awakening characters have trophies aside from Owain, Chrom and M!Robin?

If those were the only ones then I'd think Henry could have replaced Tharja's trophy. He's a dark Mage like her, and is a pretty popular male character.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Its not that bad honestly. If they did want to "cover" up, then why not make it a black void like Rosalina's skirt? Or make her cape attached to her, so nothing is really showing.

Also no one is complaining about Beach Shulk.
NOA ended up putting a towel over her butt in one of the DLC pack cutscenes, but Awakening was T, and I don't think that would've warranted a change in rating (DLC can't raise a game's rating per ESRB standings).

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
What male Awakening characters have trophies aside from Owain, Chrom and M!Robin?

If those were the only ones then I'd think Henry could have replaced Tharja's trophy. He's a dark Mage like her, and is a pretty popular male character.
Gaius, Lon'qu and Inigo. All popular characters, in Japan at least.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Warning Received

The 3ds version seems to be censoring a lot of things that seem to still be in the wii u version..like peach's panties for instance so hopfully the trophy will still appear in the wii u version..(along with Ic ;_; )

Last edited by a moderator:

R0Y

Smash Master
Wait. WHAT? First no Morgan and now no Tharja...
Despite work being done on her too. This is no straight model rip from Awakening, that's for sure.

-image removed-

The 3ds version seems to be censoring a lot of things that seem to still be in the wii u version..like peach's panties for instance so hopfully the trophy will still appear in the wii u version..(along with Ic ;_; )
Source for Peach? lol

I don't disagree. But adding another character would have been more work when we're already at 684 trophies.

NOA ended up putting a towel over her butt in one of the DLC pack cutscenes, but Awakening was T, and I don't think that would've warranted a change in rating (DLC can't raise a game's rating per ESRB standings).
Yeah, that ws just NOA being NOA. But if there were an actual rating issue here, and given the controversy from the censoring of the DLC, that would explain it being removed everywhere.

EDIT: Sorry for double post :(

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Despite work being done on her too. This is no straight model rip from Awakening, that's for sure.

Source for Peach? lol
Her amibo has her panties shown, so I'm more or less assuming they left it in. Plus i think the void might look even more out of place on the wii u version.

R0Y

Smash Master
Her amibo has her panties shown, so I'm more or less assuming they left it in. Plus i think the void might look even more out of place on the wii u version.

I see....lol

I mean it'd be pretty strange but I could see why Nintendo wouldn't want some users pausing the game for that (Zelda too.) For Wii U though the black void on characters other than Rosalina really wouldn't make sense on a big screen though, lol. I think this is a very minor issue but that they shuold keep the Melee/Brawl status quo just because.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189

I see....lol

I mean it'd be pretty strange but I could see why Nintendo wouldn't want some users pausing the game for that (Zelda too.) For Wii U though the black void on characters other than Rosalina really wouldn't make sense on a big screen though, lol. I think this is a very minor issue but that they shuold keep the Melee/Brawl status quo just because.
Yea, I actually really like what they did with rosalina and i mean if its such a big deal couldn't they just give peach spanks? Lol

I think Nintendo goes a little over board with censorship sometimes though.

eWaltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Waltz.exe
It just strikes me as odd that they would put the effort into making the model and then just strike it out. Didn't think Japan would have a problem with the figure.

Khao

Smash Lord
I remember that, lol, probably the dumbest censorship I've ever seen. (the original picture looks far more innocent and less suggestive than what they did with the censorship, it's just hilarious.)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It just strikes me as odd that they would put the effort into making the model and then just strike it out. Didn't think Japan would have a problem with the figure.
This is actually a decent point. This is the Japanese version of the game we've datamined, and they're not beholden to the ESRB. It's odd the trophy was removed from that version if it was the ESRB that said it needed to go.

R0Y

Smash Master
This is actually a decent point. This is the Japanese version of the game we've datamined, and they're not beholden to the ESRB. It's odd the trophy was removed from that version if it was the ESRB that said it needed to go.
That's why I've got that theory about the Tharja beach censorship. Happened in NA only. Nintendo might have removed this worldwide if it was an issue in one region.

Senario

Smash Ace

I want that tharja dakimakura now lol. Talking crap about mai waifu. Lucina is so much more bland as a character. Also a little disappointed but i can always go to awakening for more tharja dark magic shenanigans

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Tharja trophy not in the game? DLC CHARACTER GUYS!!
Jokes aside, I am a little bummed but it's really nothing to get salty about. Also considering I have the Tharja statue I don't need no digital trophy.

R0Y

Smash Master
Tharja trophy not in the game? DLC CHARACTER GUYS!!
Jokes aside, I am a little bummed but it's really nothing to get salty about. Also considering I have the Tharja statue I don't need no digital trophy.
Her eye colour is wrong here, it may also be wrong on the Smash 3DS trophy that was removed but hard to tell. They're green, not brown.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, time constraints. The time and effort they used making her trophy doesn't suddenly come back to them if they cut something.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I doubt her trophy'd run it up to T alone. Still, little as I liked her (Cherche and Anna are my wives of choice), I hate seeing anything from Fire Emblem removed for any reason.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that the ESRB would have caused her trophy to get removed. If it was, I find it a bit strange this would set off the T rating and not something like Shulk's swimsuit alt costume.

It seems as though Tharja was meant to get a trophy at one point, but it was cut late in development. If anyone decided to remove her trophy completely from the game, it was probably Nintendo of America. I guess they wanted to cut her from the American version, but they had no choice to but to remove it completely worldwide? (I would be pretty damn surprised if we saw her trophy in the US version) I mean, this wasn't the first time they had to censor her.

Still, it's kind of a shame her trophy got removed. She's admittedly one of my favorite characters in Awakening.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If we presume one region had problems with the trophy, why assume North America? Germany and Australia tend to be the most draconian when it comes to censoring games; it could easily be them. There could also, of course, be a completely unrelated reason, or her trophy could be like Olimar's in Melee and react to Awakening save data or something else obscure that isn't counted by the game's usual systems and just not have been found by anyone yet.

With 684 trophies, I'm not exactly going to be too upset over this...

R0Y

Smash Master
If we presume one region had problems with the trophy, why assume North America? Germany and Australia tend to be the most draconian when it comes to censoring games; it could easily be them. There could also, of course, be a completely unrelated reason, or her trophy could be like Olimar's in Melee and react to Awakening save data or something else obscure that isn't counted by the game's usual systems and just not have been found by anyone yet.

Nintendo wouldn't remove the trophy from every copy of the game in the world for Australia, a country with less people than Canada even when combined with New Zealand. No way.

For Germany's USK, maybe.

Sorry for double post.

Really, the DLC pack causing controversy in NA and the possibility of the ESRB saying T for this trophy is my only guess. Rather than remove it for one territory and face (justified) accusations of censorship, remove it from all copies :(

Australia is too small of a market to cause that kind of a reaction though.

It's just a theory.

Last edited:

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman

It doesn't involve violence, drug use or sexual activity conflated with violence or drug use, Australia's OFLC won't care in the slightest.

Yes, our rating boards are fairly conservative but the "scantily clad" sexuality area is more lax than America.

Shog

Smash Ace
Soo...is there any reason her clothes are that revealing? I mean I only played FE once, and it was the GBA Amb. one for the 3DS...
Or is this gurl some kind of fanservice in the game, you know eye candy. Finally, that kind of nudity is absurd.
(:4shulk:can really feel it btw)

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
It would be a shame if her trophy was removed due to the rating.

So odd considering how Smash Bros. had been rated T for every instalment until now...

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You can literally see Falcon's crack hole. This is preposterous.

Top Bottom