• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thanksgiving Break (and my first Melee adventures!)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Link to original post: [drupal=2816]My Thanksgiving Break[/drupal]

First, lemme say that this is my first ever blog.
I hope you enjoy it. I wrote this in a hurry because I really want to have it written up asap. But I'm also trying to learn to write better, so any tips and critiques would be appreciated.

K this was my first Thanksgiving to go by since I've been a member here. And I think it was a really cool Thanksgiving too.

I guess it all starts on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. My older brother who lives in Tennessee gets to come down here to the good state of Texas just once a year, every Thanksgiving. He's quite a bit older than I am, almost a decade, and we share one thing in common among other things - Smash Bros. He enjoys Melee alot, and he's the best opponent I've ever had on it (and Brawl too, but to a lesser extent). He's even gone to a few tournaments before, not big ones, but a good 30-person ones, and placed high.

Anyway, my bro came down like he has every year, and we spent a good deal of time talking with him and what's been going. We were all supposed to go to bed early because we were heading off to this lakehouse for Thanksgiving, but my older bro, younger bro, and I stayed up through the night playing Melee.

One thing to know is that I've always prefered Brawl to Melee, due to only having opponents who would play Brawl. I don't think I'm all that good at Melee either, neglecting the L-canceling mechanic, though I do put alot of effort into positioning and manueverablitity. But I've never had any opponent that's better than me (I've yet to enter any tournament in my area, and only play with a handful of friends) or, really, to go even with. But yeah, my friends and I have always just played Brawl over Melee.

I think that's why I had so much fun fighting my brother's Shiek and Marth (and Samus) in Melee. We sort of messed around until my younger bro fell asleep, and then the competition started. It was a hell of alot of fun, and we had some of the most epic fights that you can imagine. I lost two of every three matches, but I couldn't have cared less. My Marth vs his Marth, my Captain Falcon vs his Sheik/Zelda, and my DK and Mario vs his Samus. Its made me realize how good of a game Melee is, how much playability it has for a game released quite a few years ago. It makes me wish I had a play-by-play analysis of what happened each match, so I could express how much fun it was.
I remember one match where I was Donkey Kong fighting my brother's Dr. Mario, and I spiked him with my Fair the first stock, but couldn't recover high enough, so that it was tied 3 stocks to 3 stocks. He owned me on the 2nd stock, and caped my recovery to boot lol. I remember playing a game of Bairs the next two stocks, until it was 1 to 1, nmext stock whens. IIRC, I think we were really close in damage until I gimped his recovery with an Fsmash ftw. It felt really good, but we played a few more matches until his Marth Ken Combo'd me and we called it a night.

We met up at the lakehouse with three of our cousins, one of 'em being my older bro's age, one about a couple years older than me, and one my age. It was way too cold to go jetskiing or swimming, but it was nice sitting out on the dock and looking at the water. Inside, we had a fantastic meal complete with turkey & dressing, beans, corn casserole, ham, french bread, and more. The ice chest was filled with Cokes, Dr Peppers, waters, beers, etc. We finished off the dinner with a game of Balderdash, and those of you who've played it (because, for some reason, alot of people I know have never even heard of it :/) will know just how much fun it is. I got 2nd place out of about 12 people. ^^ And to end the night off, my cousins and brother and I went upstairs for some video games.

My cousins aren't big on Smash brothers; if they play a video game, its usually something like COD or Oblivion from what I can remember. But looks like we were all in a mood for Smashing it up, and we played a bit of Melee at first, per my brother's request, but we switched to Brawl soon enough. I was ready to show how good I was at Brawl, and how this site has payed off for my game, but it was frustrating. First off, the matches were played with all items on and on High. Second, every third or so stage was Temple or 75m and the like. I also wanted to play some 1 on 1's, but I only got two real opportunities, both of which were screwed up.

Scenario 1 :: I'm Captain Falcon with 1 life left vs. a campy Pikachu, two lives left, on the Mario Kart stage.

Scenario 2 :: I'm King Dedede with 2 lives left vs. a Sonic with 3 lives left on New Pork City. There's about two minutes left on the clock, and you can probably see what became of that.

Overall, it didn't exactly go the way I planned, and although I usually won, I was very disappointed.

Eventually though, I decided to suck it up, and have fun. I chose some kinds of matches that I thought would be crazy, and the results were amusing, such as Items on, High, Soccer Balls. ^^ I actually had alot of fun about this time, and played my hand at heavy-weights that hit the soccer balls hard. At one point, I actually hit a soccer ball at my brother's Ike, who countered and sent the ball flying towards my oldest cousin's Kirby.

I actually had one fair 1 on 1 without items against my cousin, and I pulled off a combo vid worthy KO with Donkey Kong. I'd saved it on my cousin's Wii when the match finished and ran downstairs for my SD Card, but somebody erased it before I came back. ^^

I spent Friday in Fort Worth, and I missed almost the entire day from the lakehouse. But when I got back that night, we all spent a good three or four hours watching my cousin play Ocarina of Time on the GC. We kept making fun of parts of the game, or of Link, or of Zelda, or of how bad my cousin was at the game lol. We threw around a bunch of swear words, and at one point, our jokes got a bit out-of-control lol, but it was an enjoyable way to end the day.

Well, we eventually left my cousins' lake house, and visited my grandparents' house. No Smash there, but I did get to see alot of my aunts and uncles and enjoy more turkey and crap. They also had french bread, and I ate so much of it I puked. Eventually, all of my aunts and uncles cleared out, and it was just my family and my grandparents. We had a good discussion about politics (we're all Republicans), but we didn't stay too much longer.

Arriving back home about 10 P.M. yesterday, my brother was due back at the airport at 4 A.M. this morning. My younger bro and conked out, and only my older bro and I were still awake. We stayed up 'til about 1 in the morning playing some Smash. I finally got a chance to show off at Brawl, and I have to say that I impressed myself with how I did with mah Marth. Soon enough, we returned to Melee for the last hour of Smash, and it was possibly the best hour of the entire Thanksgiving break. I threw out a ****load of edgeguards, and my attacks flowed perfectly one after another. I even won some matches against his Zelda, his undeniable best character. I remember one match where I finished his final stock off with an off-stage Shield Breaker.

We stayed up another hour as I showed him around this site. We watched some combo and tourney vids, and I showed him some of my favorite songs. I played one last video (L!te's Combo Video Contest entry), and said my good-bye, and then I knocked out (around 3 in the morning).

I woke up around 1 P.M. today, and the house felt emptier.
I told myself I'd write this up, and it looks like I'm finally finished. It was one of the best Thanksgivings I've experienced thus far, because I got to see my family. I love my family, and everyone in it. Everytime I visit them, I leave with a smile and sometimes a gift or knicknack - my older cousin actually showed me the song that's linked in my signature (fyi). And I'm really happy that I got to see my older bro again. I only wish I didn't have to wait another year.

Two replies...... >.>

sammy p

Smash Lord
wow DB, sounds like the ideal thanksgiving!
my family does not enjoy the same things i do(dang rednecks) so i do kinda feel like the oddball of my family :ohwell:... not that i hate my family, i love them to death, but i definitly do not connect with them on the same level it sounds like you and you cousins do! THATS certainly a special thing.
very good read also!
cant wait until you write more blogs! :bee:

Sieguest

Smash Master
LOOOOOOOOOOL
I'm glad you had an awesome Thanksgiving :D I couldn't help but laugh at some of those scenario's you listed, and glad you came to appreciate melee to :D. Now if only I had a family as engaged in brawl as yours. :laugh:

vepix

Smash Cadet
haha

Omg it looked like you had a great holiday! Unfortunately my Thanksgiving was pretty dull. Turned out my three sisters spent Thanksgiving in Ireland. So it was only my brother and sister and I with like 12 other people at our house. :( The food was good and every thing but it still wasn't the same. (Especially because one of my closest sister was in Ireland.) We don't really "play Smash" during the holiday but we most likely will during the upcoming one. We should play Brawl online sometime. ;)

★Chaos★

Smash Journeyman
A place Where Robos live Happily Ever After
good times

u must have had fun playing melee.:)and i agree. i'v become more adapted to brawl due to the lack of melee players:ohwell: but i still play it once in a while. u gotta admit melee is a great game:laugh:my thanksgiving was.........EATING!:chuckle: but i stayed at home:(though the food was delicious:bee:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I didn't really do anything thanksgiving. But that sounds amazing. That's why I think brawl players should give melee a solid chance. I scrolled thought this and saw falcon vs a campy pikachu and I was wondering how in the H*** does that happen? how does a pikachu camp and how does falcon get camped? I was think melee so yeah.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
I wish i had someone to play with now :( I have 2 brothers, but i'm hoping IF they still play Smash though. I want to play Melee(i suck at melee now XD), Brawl, and Brawl+ with somebody. I haven't played with or against a human in so long now :urg:

I'm playing Brawl more them Melee because of online anyway(random online doesn't cut it, i need friends)

Top Bottom