• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TGA Ranking Battles - Aug 2nd - Winchendon, MA

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
...I talked to the owner about this during the tournament. he says that he wished he had known that we would have needed more TVs so he could have accommodated us, but I don't think that it was accurately described to him that it was needed. Besides that though, I mean look at Mass Madness and do the math.

Mass madness typically has 75+ players. 20% of the prize pool goes to them and they supply nothing really all that useful to us besides tables and extension cords and a really hot uncomfortable room with not a lot of seating or anything thing else to look t besides smash. entrance fees for tournaments are about $10 for singles, $10 per team, or $5 a player...

Thats $2 venue fee x75 = $150 , PLUS doubles for about half the players...which is another $35 dollars or so. That's $185 dollars to the store.

At TGA, there were 26 competitors --> thats $260 to the owner. And we get a Nice, big area with lots of chairs in an air-conditioned place with tons of other stuff we can do all around us.

TRUE...we didn't have many TVs, but that's also partially OUR fault, as mas Madness hasn't supplied TVs in any of the past events I've been to. Next time, when we run the tournament, Tom and i will request some more TVs from him, but to be honest it's also the job of those COMING to the tournament to supply TVs as well.

...TGA is a bit more expensive, but its not OUTRAGEOUSLY so...it's like a difference of $10 , which you guys are willing to spend on money matches left and right anyways.
Well one of the TO's responsibilities is to make sure they can provide a minimum amount of set-ups tables and chairs. Relying on the community is great and all but if you're going to run a tournament you need to provide some equipment yourself. You can't outsource the responsibility of set-ups to the player, it's not their job to bring them, merely common courtesy.

I have less of a problem paying GU's venue fee because they provide a full venue for Smash for the entre time we need it and we're not crammed in with other games. Smash is the MAIN ATTRACTION as opposed to just another tournament being run at the venue that day. And while GU skims from the pot, I'd prefer that to a seperate fee. They also provide extension cords and other things so that we can have all the set-ups in one area, which was a major problem at this event. But Game universe provides us everything we need minus TV's. There is never a chair/power/plug strip shortage. And the fact that it's hot isn't a vaild complaint. Almost every venue I've ever been to has a problem with that. It comes with the territory.

Also, playing MM's is far different from paying money to someone with no chance of said money being returned.

I'm not saying it was a bad tournament, it could've been better yes but w/e. I'm just saying on behalf of myself and the other Mages it just isn't worth it to make the trip given the conditions there.

PS: Tom you know I love you man so don't take any of this personally. Just my opinions.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
All of your points are well taken...its the TO's job to have as much of that stuff lined up as possible, you're right, and hopefully we can next time...but I mean, Me and Tom are only two people, and if we are each transporting 2 others...not all TVs are going to fit in the trunk...so it becomes an issue of : I can only take 1 TV if I have 2 people. Next time however, I plan to do more work in terms of calling around and seeing who is bringing what and such so we have more setups. And hopefully others will agree to bring their own as well.

To be fair, Full venue or not...the TGA area where we played was big enough to be considered the same size as MM and we did have practically that entire part of the place to ourselves. whrether or not it was the Main Attraction, doesnt subtract from the quality of play.

Extension cords and all of that, that can be fixed easily. I have 5 at my house...all i need to do is bring them, i would guess others have access to these as well. we can get more Tables together for more setups...Andy already offered that.

...In my opinion, the extra $ is worth it for the more comfortable venue. I disagree with you highly on the fact that GU has no chair issues. there's enough for people playing the matches, but that's IT. At TGA, we had chairs for every person in that tournament, and a whole bunch more. Also, the fact that it was hot at MM was a VERY VALID concern. Comfortability is something that I would gladly pay a few extra dollars for, but hey...maybe that's just me. TGA has more seats, and is air conditioned.

You're right though, it could have been run better...and it will be next time, but I mean I respect your decision...though i hope to be able to con you guys into coming again one of these days, possibly when we've proven ourselves to have grown and shown a better track record then just that one visit. :-p

...thanks for all of the feedback though, I'm getting to learn a lot from it and hopefully my next tournament will be leagues better becasue of the things you've mentioned here. I appreciate it!

Top Bottom