• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tether recovery gets even more broken

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Thanks to the random ability to airdodge while sent flying to your doom,
and ALSO the ability to tether while airdodging, I found an awesome recovery tech.

So I was playing on all star intense, on the halbred in the Kirby-Meta-Dedede bit.

I'd killed Metaknight, and it was just me and Kirby.

All of a sudden, kirby pitfall trapped me, and I thought for sure I was doomed (over 100%) and he was preparing a side smash. It hit me squarely in the face, and I DI'd downwards to (hopefully) reduce some of the knockback.

What happened next boggles the mind.

I was going really REALLY fast, definitely going to die, when I airdodged and pressed A,
and WTF I just snapped to the ledge like nothing happened. I then proceeded to own Kirby and
make Dedede cry.

Do you think Smash DI airdodge tether (DIAT?) could become useful in competitive play?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
That is really interesting. And tether recovery was never broken anyway because of it's ability to be gimped easily.

But I can see how this would be useful. I'd like to see a video too.... that gets said a lot XD

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Can't vid, but yeah, when getting hit FAST by something low angle (shiek's final ftw?), airdodge and attempt to tether when reasonably close to the ledge. Auto snap auto snaps hard.

EDIT: I did this with Toon Link, just like my other glitch I posted.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Looks like the best place to do this thing is a place with lots of edges, e.g. new pork city.

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
I vote we call it "THAT EPIC MANEOUVER DISCOVERED BY THAT PERSON THAT DOES THAT THING THAT'S HELPFUL." We can call it TEMDBYPTDTTTH for short.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
yeah please either try to recreate it in a vid, or find an example of this.
Who were you playing as? Zamus, Samus, Olimar, Lucas?

I agree w/ chaosblade though, gimping and edgehogging tether recoveries makes it a less-than-desirable mode of recovery...

EDIT:This posted after everyone else had it clarified, sry.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
We also need confirmation this also ONLY works with grab based tethers, and not special attack based tethers. Many characters like Zero Suit Samus have a normal grab, but also have a form (or forms) of tether recovery.

UltimateZ

Smash Rookie
I vote that we call the move "Whiplash" or "Whiplashing"

Awesome. Guess I'll be playing a lot more Toon Link now, heh heh...

AznHalfCaucasian

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm.....need to remember that technique.

-Might come in handy

Crap....everyone if finding everything about this game....Good Job.

S2

Smash Lord
Interesting, I wonder if eventually someone gets good at this.

Too bad it doesn't work with B-based teathers. Guess it won't help my Olimar.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Press A while Airdodging, and you'll auto grab the ledge.

This even works if you've been sent flying at a fatal amount of damage.

It's that simple, and that awesome.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure exactly how effective this can be considering that it would only work if you got hit in such a way that would get you near the ledge and then you would also have to have the timing to throw out the tether close enough that it will register while not trying to late that it would miss.

There are a lot of "if"s to it, but worth looking into for people with such characters.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
The feast... it's ruined.
*tosses a garbage can

So far, with my upB trials, I am finding maybe the concept of LavisKazing traditionally using the grab tether may not be possible to do in the same way.

but MAYBE, if you are spiked and are quick with it, maybe you can LavisKaz using UpB that way...

Needs MOAR EXPERIMENT!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
UpBs don't come out fast enough :(

It works fine with Samus though. Samus can also do the Star KO death shortening glitch.

It only works with characters who can R grab in midair. Time to find them all.

EDIT: No Ivysaur or Olimar. Darn.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure exactly how effective this can be considering that it would only work if you got hit in such a way that would get you near the ledge and then you would also have to have the timing to throw out the tether close enough that it will register while not trying to late that it would miss.

There are a lot of "if"s to it, but worth looking into for people with such characters.
DIing downward would probably fix that for most characters.

Corigames

Smash Hero
DIing downward would probably fix that for most characters.
Smash DIing, maybe, but that still doesn't convince me. Plus, if you smash DI downward, you could just tech it anyway instead of flying off. Now, I don't doubt that this worked, but I DO doubt the practicality of it. Until it is used against me, in a video, or I use it, I'm just going to leave it at that.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Smash DIing, maybe, but that still doesn't convince me. Plus, if you smash DI downward, you could just tech it anyway instead of flying off. Now, I don't doubt that this worked, but I DO doubt the practicality of it. Until it is used against me, in a video, or I use it, I'm just going to leave it at that.
I smash DI'd downwards, and flew at an awful angle and was unable to tech. LavisKaz saved my life! There is a vid of it being used to some extent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUUlpqoPfE at 1:33

(Posted by Young Link 808)

Remember, it's not limited to the speed shown in this video.
When I did it, I was definitely going to die without it.

The reflexes required for this are akin to the reflexes required to tech in the bottom half of Hyrule.

Top Bottom