• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terrible against bad players

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
Hey SWF
I have a little problem on Smash 4.
I can't play properly against bad player.
Indeed, I have troubles with players that tend to spam garbage moves, roll way too much, use their counter almost everytime I'm starting a combo (playing Falcon, Sheik, etc).
I can read these things but I can't manage to punish (especially roll and counters).

For exemple, it took me 4 games to beat an Ike who literally used roll everytime, approachs with Side B, tried to grab release to ftilt/sideB on Falcon (lmao).

So yeah, I'm a really AGRESSIVE player and it seems like I can't or I don't know how to play (without playing over defensive) against that kind of persons. Really annoying :/
I guess it's way harder on online since latency is definitively present.
How should I do ? :]

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
The way i handle that is, I have a main who I use against good people that use "optimum" strategy that i can predict. And a secondary that forces me to react to people who use....."awful" strategy. ZSS, and Zelda respectively.

MAz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0318-9105-2451
I been seeing this a lot too kids just rolling to edge and just charge b or side b, its just bad kids abusing the mechanics

Mistwyvern

Smash Rookie
I have the same issue. I'm getting pretty decent at the game. I main mario. I beat players who I can tell are decent at the game and understand a lot of tech. But players who main shulk little Mac and captain falcon just literally spam same 2 moves over and over and I have such an issue finding a counter. I look so bad getting beat after I clearly out play them and I have their % nearing 200%. But then I end up getting smashed because of 1 small mistake and the duel takes a turn. I don't know how to counter a player who is so bad and just spams same move over and over and over

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
If they're doing one move over and over, and you can't deal with it, the first thing I would do is learn your character's answer to that single move. You might not be as good as you think, or you might be overthinking a simple match. Alternatively, you could be oversimplifying a match you need to think about-- Was your opponent really just doing one move over and over, or did you just get hit by the same move over and over?

If one of my friends beats me by doing a move over and over again, I tell them to continue using it so I can learn to deal with it. If after somewhere between fifty and a hundred games, if I still can't get used to it, it's probably a genuinely strong option against my character. Maybe it's time to watch some videos and read some forum posts. It's almost always a matter of just learning to deal with characters' options.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
Here's the first step, stop thinking you are better than they are.

if you know exactly what they are going to do but can't do anything about it, you aren't better than them. You lost.

Second, learn your character better. Nothing is unanswerable in smash 4.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
How I deal with rolls as Shulk is down smash if they are rolling around me or Nair in the direction I am expecting them to go. With Villager I F-tilt behind me if they are rolling behind me or just let them roll away if they are rolling away (it's actually advantageous to me)

I would ask in the specific forum for the characters you use what methods they use to punish rolls. Usually there's some sort of thread where you can ask these sorts of things.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
if i see someone doing so i just mock them and do the same , and win

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
When I see people play like this I just play cheaply as well and just keep spaming pikmin well they roll around tell there at KO'ing level. And if I have to deal with one if those people that only use counter and don't even try to attack I just switch to mega man and stand back and watch.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
First off let's get rid of labeling others and their skill level, for if you cannot defeat "bad players" then you really aren't any better than them. When on an equal playing field take the initiative to learn from others who are better from you. In this case. STOP PLAYING SO OFFENSIVELY.

Realize that playing too offensive doesn't work against opponents who are patient and will scope out your mistakes. As a Falcon main, I notice dozens who sit on a side of a map, spam their projectile till they get a hit then immediately dash attack. It's an effective strategy and in the end it's the way to play.

Source?
I myself am a terrible player.
did I hear... Ridley.png

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
When this happens to me, I default to blaming lag.

Laggy players who know how to laggily play.

I also complain about it to all my closest friends until they stop talking to me.

But seriously though.
I DEFINITELY know what you mean about reading something, but not able to do anything about it.
I know exactly how I'd deal with it in a normal situation, but now, I really don't know when to take action to get the desired effect when the connection is off.

The solution to that, is just to gain experience playing in such horrible conditions.
I know that may be difficult if, like I, your connection is pristine. But it is an unfortunate reality of online play.

Another thing that's thrown me off in these scenarios is...
Buffering and button spamming.
I think I tend to put in WAY more button inputs necessary, especially when I become frustrated.
When you throw in latency and lag, and buffering mechanics that I'm quite frankly not entirely used to, and there's going to be a lot of unintentional things happening.

I get the impressions that the people who play best in lag.

A: Have got the timing down, and are flexible with their timing.

B: Know how to input more precisely.

Lastly, I do think the effects of lag bias are understated.
There are built in mechanisms designed to combat it, and all these things...
But, I don't think its possible to ever completely get rid of it. Sometimes, I think you'll just find yourself on the wrong end of it.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I play Ganon, so here's what I do against scrubs:

* Roll Spam: Chase till they reach an edge, then use Wizard's Foot or dash attack. If the roll around me, down-smash. The idea is to catch them with the hitbox right as they're coming out of the roll.

* Counter Spam: Feint. Run at them, then roll away. Do empty jumps to give them the impression that you're going to use an aerial, but then land back on the ground without doing anything. Occasionally, jump away from them after approaching. It can leave you in a good position to retaliate if they dash attack. You could also run up and grab them, as counters don't work against grabs.

Trust me, I didn't understand the usefulness of empty hops until I started using them. It would throw people off and cause them to make terrible mistakes that I could punish. Something as simple as making it look like you're about to attack, and then not doing it, is a very effective tool against people who expect overly aggressive play.

The reason you're losing against scrubs is you just attack, attack, attack with no precision. You never do mixups, and therefore your moves are extremely easy to read and punish. Counter spam is extremely exploitable, but if you predictably do a fast attack every time you run up, they're the ones reading you when they Counter spam. Patience and observation are the essentials of making a read. Many pros make a mindgame out of just standing still with their back turned.

NairWizard

Somewhere
You are losing because you are not giving your opponent enough credit for being a human being with a controller in his hands. If you are only winning against "decent" players, then you've probably found a pattern that works against decent players and are just applying that pattern again and again and again. You need to mix up your gameplan and play based on how your opponent is playing.

Don't play based on how you've played in the past. This match is the present. What can you do in this match, right here, right now? What tools does your character have to deal with the things that your opponent is doing?

RODO

Smash Ace
You are losing because you are not giving your opponent enough credit for being a human being with a controller in his hands. If you are only winning against "decent" players, then you've probably found a pattern that works against decent players and are just applying that pattern again and again and again. You need to mix up your gameplan and play based on how your opponent is playing.

Don't play based on how you've played in the past. This match is the present. What can you do in this match, right here, right now? What tools does your character have to deal with the things that your opponent is doing?
This is what I came to say. You just have to play differently. You can't expect them to play optimally so expect them to stick to the same few moves even if you punish it.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Have you tried baiting them?
If you can get them to stop countering you could punish them that way.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, TVTropes came up with a term for these kinds of common enemies. I posted about this in another thread, but I'll just do it again:

Goddamned Bats

The site describes these enemies as being very common, very easy to deal with, and very annoying to deal with. Which is exactly what unskilled players are in FG.

What we need is better matchmaking.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Hey SWF
I have a little problem on Smash 4.
I can't play properly against bad player.
Indeed, I have troubles with players that tend to spam garbage moves, roll way too much, use their counter almost everytime I'm starting a combo (playing Falcon, Sheik, etc).
I can read these things but I can't manage to punish (especially roll and counters).

For exemple, it took me 4 games to beat an Ike who literally used roll everytime, approachs with Side B, tried to grab release to ftilt/sideB on Falcon (lmao).

So yeah, I'm a really AGRESSIVE player and it seems like I can't or I don't know how to play (without playing over defensive) against that kind of persons. Really annoying :/
I guess it's way harder on online since latency is definitively present.
How should I do ? :]
Switch to Little Mac for a bit. I'm not trying to be a troll with that comment, but Little Mac has the 'easiest' time dealing with rolls in particular, given his speed, superarmor, and minimal end lag on moves. If you get past the 'spam side B and dash attack' stage of LM, you'll focus on downsmashes, well-timed tilts, roll-chasing upsmashes, and so on... which, depending on your main, can translate once you learn the process. It's like how you learn to wave dash with Luigi-- focus on getting the technique first, then worry about transcribing it to your preferred character. Robin may have an iffy downsmash for punishing rolls, but has an amazing ftilt for it. ZSS might lack a 'roll covering' Dsmash, but a good dash game and nice tilts help immensely. The key, though, regardless, is that you are dashing and smashing too much.

Rolling can do nothing to you if you simply limit your movement. Your foe may be rolling around at the speed of sound, but if you're dashing around and half your moves are smashes, you're the scissors to their rock. It doesn't matter if they use rock every time if you aren't using paper. As it stands, there are three ways that I (consciously) counter heavy rolling-- there may be more, but it's become largely intuitive to me on my mains, at least, so excuse if I miss some obvious ones:
  • Downsmash: (Examples: Shulk, Little Mac) Any downsmash that's quick, has good range to either side, and either lingers or has minimal lag can punish rolls towards you quite nice if well-timed. There are some exceptions (Samus's roll tends to have the distance and invulnerability frames to still be potentially safe), and it depends on what kind of Dsmash your character has, but if you see someone rolling through you, this is probably the most intuitive response.
  • Ftilt: (Examples: Robin, Marth) Any Ftilt that's sufficiently quick can work, though a low range will cause some potential problems. More characters have useful Ftilts for this than Dsmashes, but, more than the Dsmash option, it very much requires you to be a lot less mobile than you're apt to want. That said, a well-timed, well-spaced Ftilt is perhaps one of the safest ways to punish rolling through you.
  • Jab/Dtilt: (Examples: Ike, Ganondorf) If your character has a good jab (read 'not Marth'), you might find that a jab for roll punishing. Alternatively, many characters (read 'Marth') have quicker dtilts than ftilts, which, while a bit trickier to input from a pivot, can be much safer options. Careful not to use a full repeating jab combo or multiple dtilts in a panic, though, as you'll too vulnerable on a miss.
  • Dash grab/attack: (Examples: ZSS, Captain Falcon) If someone rolls away from you, none of the above options are apt to much punish them (as they're making space rather than 'aggro rolling'), but if you have a quick ground speed and a good grab distance and/or grab speed, you can chase down their roll to punish all the same. See, when your foe rolls, they immediately lose the chance to punish dashing (which inherently limits your options, as you then must stop or pivot or so on in order to use half your ground moves). That, and they're guaranteed to be vulnerable for the split-second that their roll ends... meaning you can get a free grab out of it. Falcon's 'boosting' grab range is one of the most excellent examples of a standard grab for this, as his runspeed and grab range and throw follow-ups are all fantastic, while ZSS's tether grab makes this similarly easy, if a it riskier on a miss.
Another option, albeit far more situational, is to stick to the skies. Someone who over-rolls will often lack in shielding skills, which will make them vulnerable to low-lag or otherwise 'safe' aerials, as the roll can even work as a frame trap in some situations. Jigglypuff and Kirby are the easiest examples, as their air moves are quick and they have the extra jumps to take advantage, so you create a situation where their options are 'shield and react', 'roll and have no follow-up', or 'get hit'. If they roll, but you're still safe, you're winning, as they have a chance to be hit, while they can never kill you by rolling. Once you get a feel for how each foe rolls, you can often chase them to the edge and then hit them with a charged side-smash behind you just for the sake of insult to injury, but focus on using safe, low-lag moves that don't leave you vulnerable first. Getting greedy with smashes once you spot predictable movement is the mental trap that allows them what success they have.

As for counters, my recommendation is to try out Diddy Kong. As with LM punishing rolls, Diddy does a solid job of being a terror to counter-spammers given his insane grab game, quick attacks, bananas-of-doom, and ranged tech-grab besides. Grabbing ignores the problem entirely, and so the more your game revolves around grabs, the less counters even matter. Beyond that, as with rolls, don't go for greedy smashes-- it's quick, low-lag attacks that're hard to counter and that do minimal damage even if they are countered. Also, try a few counter characters yourself to learn the timing-- any time you 'feel' you might use counter, assume they will, and, when they do, just grab them (don't be greedy and go for a smash, focus on the basics). In the air, it's important to note that you generally cannot be hit if you're below them when they counter, and many counters have other such dead-spots and vulnerabilities-- I've shielded Lucario/Greninja counters before, I've made LMs SD with counters, and I've laughed at plenty of Marths who successfully counter Elfire... just to burn regardless, because it's multi-hit. Projectiles can help immensely, as well, though that's dodging the problem a bit too much in some cases, as the counter will still typically nullify a projectile.

Either way, be sure to look at your replays of losses against such-- keep a special eye out for every time you attack before they roll, for every missed smash, and for every dash you make that ends in a no-mixup dash attack (or even dash grab), as these are some of the main things that'll cause such roll-vulnerability in your play. There is most certainly a such thing as 'safe' rushdown, but trying out more defensive characters can 'force' you to appreciate the value of carefully timed tilts and grabs, which then means you'll just be that much more comfortable incorporating them into your rushdown play. Never underestimate the value of cross-training by playing as your foe for a bit-- I learned to use Robin's terrible grab after a while with Sheik, I learned to roll chase after a while with Mac, and I learned the limitations of Lucina far quicker from playing /as/ her than against her.

...Or you could just play exclusively on Battlefield-- having platforms rather means rolls are far less useful, and, since you have to know who you're playing against to do so, you can then either get lengthy practice against that strategy... or just punch them for doing so, if local. :p

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
This has been an issue for me as well. There's a grain of truth in the statement that "if you lost, you're not better than them." I wouldn't say that's entirely true - there are strategies that are easy to execute, are very effective against players who aren't used to them, and very punishable by players who are used to them. I don't feel that a player who uses such strategies is necessarily better than the player who isn't used to playing against them.

However, the fact is, if you lost, you aren't able to counter their strategy as well as you should. You should be able to beat the crap out of players who play like that. When I started taking that mindset, even matches against crappy spammers became an interesting and enjoyable learning experience. Play against them, analyze their weaknesses, and start exploiting them, and you'll not only enjoy your matches more, but you won't have to worry about losing to other players using the same strategy.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364

This is the best post I've seen in this entire thread. Period. I indeed feel the same way as well, as I feel I can do well against defensive playstyles, but when it comes to offensive ones, I just flat-out blank out (lol). I'll try applying that and see where it goes.

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
I hate to be that guy but honestly if "noob tactics" are something you are having trouble with you just gotta earn the game more. gettting past that stuff is a matter of learning the fundamentals of your character and practice. sometimes that isn't something that comes right away

Quillion

Smash Hero
I hate to be that guy but honestly if "noob tactics" are something you are having trouble with you just gotta earn the game more. gettting past that stuff is a matter of learning the fundamentals of your character and practice. sometimes that isn't something that comes right away
Honestly, if noob tactics manage to be annoying to higher-skill players, that really is the fault of the game. A well-designed game should allow for high-skill players to curbstomp lower-skill players, not allow them to drag out the match.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Is it me or does it seem like people live way too long at high percents? I keep launching em with FRESH kill moves and people rarely die. Might just be my inagination...

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Honestly, if noob tactics manage to be annoying to higher-skill players, that really is the fault of the game. A well-designed game should allow for high-skill players to curbstomp lower-skill players, not allow them to drag out the match.
Sometimes its just the fault of not being a very diverse player.

I can play, and beat some of the best players in my state. Usually not winning any sets, but I've got an OK chance of winning individual matches against a handful of them.

But put me up against lesser players, and I can just fall apart completely.

It just comes down to the fact that I don't have the experience to have a very diverse or adaptive play-style. I can handle the type of play that I'm used to, but don't do very well outside of that.

That really doesn't have anything to do with the game not establishing a good skill gap, but just an artifact of the game being built around mindgames and patterns, And you definitely see and expect different patterns from different levels of play.
You have to learn how to beat noob tactics just as much as you have to learn to beat high level advanced tactics.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
I remembered when I played tennis and started to get pretty good. I could keep up with the guys hitting the ball fast after a ton of practice. But after playing the game fast for so long, if I was matched against someone who couldn't hit the ball very hard I would choke every time. I don't know where I'm going with this but it was very frustrating.

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your answers :)
Here I have the exact exemple of when I have analyzed the opponent.

I was playing WFT against a ZSS who ALWAYS approach with neutral b > dash grab (or down b)

It took me 1 game to completely undrrstand her patterns but three to beat her ( :( )
You just can't imaginate my rage when something like that happen

Unconsciously I'm like : "Oh, he won't do that again, it can't be true" and HE STILLS FREAKING Do THIS.
And sometimes I **** up and don't even manage to hold that (failing my airdodge / crouch)
I guess it's part of adapting :D

Btw imo my tech chasing is better than most of my tools in both melee and smash 4, so that's even more weird

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
That really doesn't have anything to do with the game not establishing a good skill gap, but just an artifact of the game being built around mindgames and patterns, And you definitely see and expect different patterns from different levels of play.
You have to learn how to beat noob tactics just as much as you have to learn to beat high level advanced tactics.
NO, YOU SHOULDN'T.

There's a reason why every tournament video you search up for Smash 4 never has anyone spam rolls and projectiles, it really is the less effective option. It's just that these opponents are so annoying and so commonplace that there's not much of a point to For Glory.

You know what it is, it's a skill barrier, and not the good kind. GOOD skill barriers should result from using the game's mechanics in an unorthodox way to be more effective. BAD skill barriers result from the overuse of a mechanic that is far more effective than it should be. Forcing players to learn how to do roll punishes (which in itself is not a skill, but sheer luck) is of the latter.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I do think rolls are more potent than they need to be, and could definitely stand to be changed, especially because of online.

But I think chalking up punishing rolls to luck is incorrect.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
First off let's get rid of labeling others and their skill level, for if you cannot defeat "bad players" then you really aren't any better than them. When on an equal playing field take the initiative to learn from others who are better from you. In this case. STOP PLAYING SO OFFENSIVELY.

Realize that playing too offensive doesn't work against opponents who are patient and will scope out your mistakes. As a Falcon main, I notice dozens who sit on a side of a map, spam their projectile till they get a hit then immediately dash attack. It's an effective strategy and in the end it's the way to play.

Source?
I myself am a terrible player.
View attachment 31352
This was the best post.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
NO, YOU SHOULDN'T.

There's a reason why every tournament video you search up for Smash 4 never has anyone spam rolls and projectiles, it really is the less effective option. It's just that these opponents are so annoying and so commonplace that there's not much of a point to For Glory.

You know what it is, it's a skill barrier, and not the good kind. GOOD skill barriers should result from using the game's mechanics in an unorthodox way to be more effective. BAD skill barriers result from the overuse of a mechanic that is far more effective than it should be. Forcing players to learn how to do roll punishes (which in itself is not a skill, but sheer luck) is of the latter.
You kinda' do have to learn that, though.

Learning how to beat noob tactics in any competitive game is pretty fundamental in being a solid player. What good will a player actually do in tournament if they can't make it out of their pools to beat the better players with all of their skill because of the guy in brack 5C using the "noob" tactics like "projectile spam?"

The reason you don't often see those sorts of tactics on streams/replays is because stream matches are generally hand-picked, and also because most of those players are weeded out of the brackets by players who learned how to beat said tactics.

Every game is going to have something abusable at a base level, and online play tends to be the perfect breeding ground for that. Not because of the game's mechanics per say, but because at a fundamental level, online play is flawed. Not decreeing whether rolls are too good or too bad, but calling roll punishing "luck" isn't really apt.

If you know how to do it and do it consistently, that's a learned skill.

Hopefully I don't come off as an ass or anything as I'm still new to competitive Smash myself, but I felt compelled to reply to that. :-p

Top Bottom