• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tennis Players anyone?

strider43

Smash Journeyman
The only thing i love more than smash bros is tennis. In the morning i play one round of smash before i go to school, and after i do my homework and stuff, then that night i will go with my friends and play tennis.

Today i played a match with someone i never played against before, and i really got a sence of what I'm like during a serious match. But there are somethings I am proud of.

For example, I was second to serve in the match, and my first serve was really one of my best I've done in awhile. It aced him and gave him a sense of what he was up against. Also a few of my shots when I was losing were really surprising to me, I pretty much closed my eyes at the last second before my racquet touched the ball and just whacked it as hard as I could, bouncing it under my friends legs and out of his reach.

I was just wondering if anyone else here played tennis like me, and i wanted to know your experiences and maybe even the kind of style you play.

I (it may sound odd) learned how to hit ambidextrous, so i hit 2 forehands. But don't get me wrong I can easily hit a backhand with either hand it just i feel less stress on my arms hitting forehand, plus i feel like i can hit the ball more accurately with forehand.

SIDE NOTE: I hit harder with my right hand, and put more spin on my shots with my left. I'm lefty btw.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yea i play a ton of tennis, so does Shogun, we talk about it all the time on the hub much to the dismay of the other people on the hub... i'm pretty good, third singles so idk what you want to talk about, i play more serve volley btw

I also like to play Tennis,even though I haven't played in somewhat of a long time.

My hits typically have alot of top spin(Forearm),and my back hands always*chop* preety hard.

I really don't hit many flats. >_>

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering if there were any like college - pro players here who play both tennis and smash.

HXY56

Smash Apprentice
Well, I started playing last summer and I'm starting up again soon, I was never really that great at it though...

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a tennis pro or anything, but I do enjoy playing tennis for fun. I live near a tennis court, so I decided to play. Haven't been playing for long, so I kinda suck at it. I'm a lefty also, I can use my right hand fine, but I prefer left.(As a weird note, I prefer my right hand for other things, but I am still not good enough with my right hand to clal myself ambidextrous.)

So yeah, I play tennis and smash, but I haven't taken up tennis as a competitive sport. I prefer other sports over tennis, but play tennis for fun mainly, not one of my choices for getting competitive in. I enjoy playing...but if you want to hear my name in the tennis world, I'll need more pratice, that's for sure.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
I play tennis for my high school. I'm the four seed. I'm pretty good I finished my season 24-4. My team won conference this year and came in the top 16 in the state for 2A schools. I came in 5th in conference in doubles and qualified for the regional tournament.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
@_@ Some of you guys have pretty cool stories. Well it's been a month since i made this thread and there's been some things that i changed.

First I want to say something about my serve. So me and my friend were playing a friendly match and it was my turn to serve. I toss it up and smack it across the court, and after it bounces it curved in so my friend got hit in the arm when he tried to forehand it. He got mad at me but when I tried it again I noticed that when i hit the ball hard I put crazy left spin on the ball.

So I took my natural reflex and turned it into a regular style. It was hard for me at first but I got used to spinning the ball to the left with my hand when I toss the ball up and serving with side spin so my serve curves. If you ever watched the anime "Prince of tennis" my serve is kind of like Ryoma's, except the way he does it is absolutely impossible lol.

Next I want to say that I learned how to effectively hit backhand. It's not as powerful as my forehand nor do I use it often in a real match, but now that I can forehand and backhand efficiently with BOTH my hands I have a large variety of options when hitting the ball back, making it harder for my opponent to figure out where and how I'm going to hit it.

I like to have both my hands on my racquet when I'm in my ready stance, and up until the moment I have to swing I don't let go. My friends hate it too because they can never tell whether I'm gonna hit a winner or a drop-shot.
Quite amusing :)

Nothing much else to say, I can smash really well... I usually never miss a smash and I whack it pretty hard lol. One time I got really hyper off of eating a lot of chocolate, and I watched a certain Pete Sampras Video that really got me excited. So I went to my school's tennis courts and made my mom hit lobs while I smashed it to the corners. Here is the Video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnSCzR-Ni9Y

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol Wii tennis. I've never played tennis before besides once during gym class. =/
I'm more of a ping pong kinda guy. xD

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt it. The fastest serve in the world is 155.
Newcomb, John. The Book of Tennis Lists. Norman Giller, 1985: 21

"'Big Bill' Tilden delivered the fastest serve ever officially measured. It was timed at 163.6 mph in 1931. Britain's Mike Sangster had a serve timed at 154 mph in 1963. Ellsworth Vines was clocked at 128 mph and his 1930s contemporary Lester Rollo Stoeten sent down a serve timed at 131 mph. The fastest serve scientifically timed was the 137 mph cannonball from American Scott Carnahan at Los Angeles in 1976. Then in 1981 a West German lawn tennis coach and statistician, Horst Goepper, claimed a serving speed of 199.53 mph during a test in Weinheim."

73 m/s
To read more go to http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/TinaCheung.shtml

Nike.

Smash Hero
Meh, #5 on my school team (it's a 5-A school). I'm a lefty, btw and I pretty much just serve and volley.

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Used to play a LOT when I was younger, not that much now though. I want to get back into it.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I love playing tennis with others. When I first play them they are surprised by my fast, powerful shots, but I always tell them that I'll hit to you 1000 times, and maybe on the 1001th time you'll finally realize and think to yourself "I want to try and hit it back".

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Yea well I had a Rock-Star just before I left to play tennis with my best friend and um, yea I ***** him, not literally just physically.[/blunt]

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
I play tennis just about every day. Nothing like having an indoor tennis center just 3 minutes away.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Tennis is real fun a good excersize. Hehe today i learn how to hit a hard flat serve but i seem to have forgotten how to hit a strong forehand O_O

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I used to play quite a bit, but after my main tennis friend moved farther away my playing has gone down quite a bit.

If I really tried to win I should probably be a serve and volleyer, but I enjoy staying on the service line more and rallying :)

strider43

Smash Journeyman
I like to F*** people up by doing annoying things and making them mess up. Also when I'm in the zone... You're dead.

My smashes are winners, always. And I set up my smashes so well that you can't do much to prevent them.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm still learning.

Teethpaste

Smash Cadet
I play tennis a bit mostly against the wall but hey my fav tennis player's are James Blake, Rodik and Mardy Fish all of the Americans regardles im Australian aussie tennis players suck and layten Hewit annoys me more than anything

Illos

Smash Apprentice
All my friends play Tennis...I wish I started when they did. I'm hopelessly behind now.

Top Bottom