• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell me about tournaments!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Reposting here because I for some reason failed to realize that this subforum exists.

As the title says, I'd like you people to tell and show me what it's like at a tournament. I've never been to one, given my location it's unlikely that I'll ever visit one, and the only bits I ever saw of Melee tournaments was random photos of people sitting on couches.

What are the different types of tournaments? How does the whole signing up thing work? How do you know when you fight who and where? About how many consoles are there? Where do people stay who came from far away? Is there some some sort of ceremony at the end?
And... so on.

Basically, I'd like to know everything about the technicalities, personal impressions of what it's like to participate in a tournament, and hopefully some insightful photos.

Part of the reason I'm posting this topic is just plain curiousity, but I also need to gather information because I'm planning on having a Smash Bros tournament arc early in a webcomic I'm planning.

Thanks to everyone who replied to the previous topic, by the way.

Conan

Smash Cadet
I was about to post a topic called "How do tournaments work?" and then I saw this :p

samdaballer

Smash Ace
Well, they are really fun, and the amount of TV's sort of depends on how many people are expected to show up. there are tournies that have 5 TV's and there are some that have 20, it really depends. The bigger ones are on a venue, such as a college campus or a gym, even a hotel for HUGE ones. The smaller ones are usually in houses. Usuallu, you can just show up to enter. Sometimes, you might to pay beforehand online. People may drive 2 hours to go to a tourney or for a big one even fly to one. Usually doubles are first and the end of doubles and beginning of singles overlap. Unless the tournies are really really big, there isnt an ending ceremony

Top Bottom