• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tele-Stepping... At least if that's what you call it

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Some points of concern/interest.

1. What is it? Tele-stepping is commonly what wolf or other characters do when they cancel their Up-B's on the ledges of levels such as Brinstar.

2. As I understanding it, this is called tele-stepping. If this is incorrect please tell me, or if this has no name, someone can make up a clever one for what I am describing. Otherwise it will be called tele-stepping.

3. As I understand it, this is not a well looked into phenomenon and we have only little to some information concerning the mechanic/ glitch.

4. All Testing was done on Brinstar on the right-inner wall after you break those eggs/fungi/whatever they are. I found it easier to test with the gap between the two halves of the level then with the level connected. Also, the testing was done in Versus, and Mario was always the opponent, infinite time, no stock or items.

5. All characters can tech off of the walls in between the floor when the stage is apart.

6. All characters can be hit by the lava and instantly land if they pass through the ‘Wall’ in the right way after being hit.

7. After the stage splits, it appears either of the inner sides can be tele-stepped, but it is harder to tele-step the left that the right side.

8. Just because it says I could not get it to work below does not mean it cannot be done, so try it with those characters and see what you can find and please let me know.

9. The term ‘Wall’ is used a lot below and is shown is this picture. Wall 2 is not really mentioned, but it appears that the majority of these findings apply to it as well. I have been told that this happens in other stages as well as Brinstar, so testing is a must. Any info post below.

10. By the phrase “through the wall” I mean traveling vertically up onto the stage using an Up-B move through the majority of the ‘Wall’ itself.

Results/Findings:

Kirby- Goes up and then lands on the stage immediately after passing through the ‘Wall’ and releases the blade as the move ends.

D3- Goes up and then lands on the stage immediately after passing through the ‘Wall’, releases stars as normal when he lands.

Meta- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Jiggs- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Pikachu- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Lucario- After he passes through the ‘Wall’ his move does not cancel but stays out for a bit and finishes, however he does not go any higher and instead finishes the move in one place.

Sqirtle- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Ivysaur- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Charizard- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Mario- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Luigi- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Peach- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Bowser- If done correctly, he will go through the ‘Wall’ and finish spinning but on the ground. It looks as if you did Up-B while on the ground without ever having been in the air.

Wario- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. It may be possible that his Down-B can cancel, but I did not look into this at this time.

Yoshi- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Diddy- After passing through the ‘Wall’ he lands on the stage in the same way he lands from using his Up-B into the air and then falling back down. As he is landing, his barrels disappear and an explosion takes place right beneath the stage as if he just used his Up-B.

Donkey- After going through the ‘Wall’ he finishes the spinning on the stage, but he is now performing a grounded Up-B and not an aerial one. Same concept as Bowser.
Link- After passing through the ‘Wall’, his move cancels on the stage and he crouches like he does when the move normally ends

Toon Link- After passing through the ‘Wall’, his move cancels on the stage and he crouches like he does when the move normally ends

Zelda- Placement has to be perfect, and I found it to be done best when she was touching the ‘Wall’ and teleporting straight up. She does not go the full teleport length, but instantly lands standing on the stage.

Sheik- The little bounce she has before exploding upwards can be tele-stepped: she will bounce and land on the stage in a landing position and then explode upwards and reappear. The explosion to explosion part of the move I could not get to cancel however.

Ganon- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Fox- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. However if done just right he will go straight up and face to the right or left. So he goes up but is oriented so that he and the fire around him are facing like < or >

Falco- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. However if done just right he will go straight up and face to the right or left. So he goes up but is oriented so that he and the fire around him are facing like < or >

Wolf- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. However if done just right he will go straight up and face to the right or left and kick in one of those directions rather than up.

Marth- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Ike- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Ness- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Lucas- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Samus- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Zero Suit- She passes through the ‘Wall’ and instantly lands on the stage with her whip out and above her. Like Bowser and DK her move goes from aerial animation to grounded animation.

Pit- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Ice Climb- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Mr. Game- If done correctly, he will pass through the wall and instantly land on his butt as he does when landing an Up-B from the sky onto the level.

Rob- If done correctly, his thrusters will stop firing and he will instantly land on the stage.

Olimar- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Cap. Falcon- I could not get his Up-B to cancel.

Snake- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. He appeared to jump or warp up a bit after he passed through the floor.

Sonic- I could not get his Up-B to cancel. He appeared to warp a bit, similar to what Snake did

Thank you for reading. I hope this helps with something. Please discuss. And if this thread needs to be relocated or if I posted incorrectly, I apologize, I know you guys are strict on these things. Feel free to move this wherever if that is the case.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Uhh.... why here exactly..?

Also, it's "Scarring".

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
"Scarring" is the thing that Wolf does to go through the stage, from below the ledges. "Tele-stepping" is what I've been shown to be cancelling upBs near the ledges (or stage edges). Wolf can both scar (goes through the stage and ends up around the middle of the stage, depending on the stage) and tele-step (sideBs then falls off of the ledge with no freefall animation and all his jumps returned).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
But why post this here instead of Brawl Tactical or something...?

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Well, when i read the discription of the tabs Tactical said things that involved game play, while characters said to discuss everything relating to the characters. I looked for an 'All Character' tab, but when i found none, i just put it here. Im sorry, i can move it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Don't worry about it.

I'll move it.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Wrong.

Telestep is using the flash while touching the stage. You immediately appear on stage with BSL.

LIGHTstepping is when you fall with your DJ back.

(I should really finish my flash thead on Wolf boards. >_> )

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
?

I thought the existence of this phenomenon was known for awhile. Many characters can do this on any ledge, as I recall correctly. I think the Lucario mains were the first non-Wolf mains to show it as a semi-universal tech. If this is when you're falling, then Jigglypuff can cancel her up B under Final Destination to get all her jumps back laglessley, iirc.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I actually didn't read that part.

Cancelling UpB with Wolf is hard. It rarely happens. But he can cancel it with the flash quite easier. Just noting that down for all of you.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I was unaware it was known for awhile, i was unable to find many posts regarding it and so i thought i would test a whole bunch of characters on a stage i know it can happen on. however, this does not involve getting all your jumps back, rather they go through the stage and instatly land the move for example, Kirby goes under Brinstar (easier if the level is separate), uses his Up-B on the left side of the right side of the stage as in the ledge. When he travels completely vertically through this point, his Up-B cancels (it stops moving up and he land on the stage without going through the entire move) and he sends out his final cutter blade.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Wrong.

Telestep is using the flash while touching the stage. You immediately appear on stage with BSL.

LIGHTstepping is when you fall with your DJ back.

(I should really finish my flash thead on Wolf boards. >_> )
Huh, never heard of the term "lightstepping" before, or anywhere as a matter of fact. Guess we all learn something new everyday, huh?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
One day, there was a huge mix-up as far as the words are concerned. I'll tell you what I know for Wolf.

Huh, never heard of the term "lightstepping" before, or anywhere as a matter of fact. Guess we all learn something new everyday, huh?
We really do. ;)

I was unaware it was known for awhile, i was unable to find many posts regarding it and so i thought i would test a whole bunch of characters on a stage i know it can happen on. however, this does not involve getting all your jumps back, rather they go through the stage and instatly land the move for example, Kirby goes under Brinstar (easier if the level is separate), uses his Up-B on the left side of the right side of the stage as in the ledge. When he travels completely vertically through this point, his Up-B cancels (it stops moving up and he land on the stage without going through the entire move) and he sends out his final cutter blade.
Who knows.

Scarring with Wolf is flashing into the stage and appearing closer to the middle. Whether the same mechanics are at work with Kirby's glitch is unknown, but it's safe to say there is difference.

As I've said, telestep, with Wolf, is flashing while touching the edge of the stage. You automatically appear at the edge with BSL. (handy tip is you can cancel the BSL by inputting the blaster on a specific frame and instant shoot a blaster. ^^)

Lightstepping is getting the double jump back and using your specials again.

There seems to be a clutter of different ATs in this thread.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I cannot even find a video of what im trying to explain on you-tube, but it does not sound the same as either lightstepping or tele-stepping

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Here's Kirby's glitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7GcB4gvjqg

That is it, what kirby did on battlefield between time 3:15 to 3:20 when he uses final cutter and just instantly lands is what all the characters in the list i have in the first post can do.

What is that called? Because that is what I am refering to.
Tele-stepping. If light-stepping leaves you offstage and gives you all your jumps back, then it's not that one. Tele-stepping automatically lands you on the stage, with the usual upB landing animations... And only a couple of characters can do it.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, I don't know about that Kewkky, I don't pay attention to other characters. For Wolf users, telestepping is strictly appearing on stage with BSL, like there never was a move, there's nothing else to it (though we can cancel it, like I said, using the blaster, still, probably not a smart thing to do).

Is the Kirby glitch called telestepping universal knowledge (as far as the name goes) to all Kirby users? Or is it just a psuedo name?

EDIT: I'd just hate it if multiple characters boards used "telestepping" for various ATs without a universal...similarity.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Then we should call it something else in order to not offend Wolf players. how about 'edge-warping' or something. Also, it is not only a few who can do it, it is everyone on the list in the first post i tested them all and this same phenomenon occurs when they us Up-B.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just call it upB ledge cancelling, or UpB LC... Anything that says what it is is good enough for me.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Also, the testing was done in Versus, and Mario was always the opponent, infinite time, no stock or items.
All glitch threads should be sure to have a little disclaimer disclosing information like this so we know it's an actually new finding as opposed to random crap due to GnW or something ;P

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
haha, I'm not offended or anything, I just don't want anyone in the future to be confused with multiple meanings.

So what is this about? Some characters have their own "Kirby glitch"?

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
just out of curiosity, does everyone understand what i did in Brinstar, and how this happens there? If so I would like to start discussing why i believe only some characters can do this and others cannot. So if there are any questions, please ask. Otherwise, someone give me the go ahead to theorize.

And yes, all the characters listed in the first post can do the exact thing kirby does in the video. I found it while using D3 on brinstar which is why i did the testing there. he is the easiest to do this with on brinstar imo.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Well, I don't know about that Kewkky, I don't pay attention to other characters. For Wolf users, telestepping is strictly appearing on stage with BSL, like there never was a move, there's nothing else to it (though we can cancel it, like I said, using the blaster, still, probably not a smart thing to do).
Call me ignorant, but what is BSL? Too many acronyms going around everywhere. Hard to tell what's what anymore.
EDIT: I'd just hate it if multiple characters boards used "telestepping" for various ATs without a universal...similarity.
Probably is the case. Luc boards just called it edge-canceling. We should've gone with something cooler, though, like ExtremeEdge or something.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I only tested this with Up-B's, i figured i could do it in steps and try other moves later after i got a feel for how this first post went. Also i did not try anything that this could lead into, i just wanted to see who could do it in the first place.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Call me ignorant, but what is BSL? Too many acronyms going around everywhere. Hard to tell what's what anymore.
Bull **** lag. Basically, lag that's there for no reason. After Wolf and some other characters grab the edge after their recovery and then land on the stage, they get a whopping collection of nearly thirty frames of lag (or maybe 31 frames, I can't remember). Regardless, it sucks.

And for the millionth time, because this bothers me so **** much: when the characters gets their DJ back and falls from the edge after using a recovery (such as the phantasm or Wolf flash), it's called lightstepping.

Telestepping is using one of these said moves against the edge and then appearing just over the edge in standing animation with BSL. At least as far as Wolf goes.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I have only seen it done on battlefield and Brinstar. This is not to say it is not doable on others tho. Also it can be used to mind game. For example, your opponent stands right on the edge waiting to keep you there and knock you off after you recover, and instead you suddenly land on the stage ready to fight with your Up-B already out. Opponents response... WTF how did you fo that

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
First off, I've never heard of this BSL, but the same phenomena is called RCO lag :p

Anyway, that gitch has been known, at least to the Kirby boards, for a while, though we haven't found how to recreate it, though I'll admit we didn't try much.
However, Brinstar is a bad place to test this, as it is a really janky stage, especially with Kirby's UpB... It can do what you described, as well as hover in midair upon hitting the egg things and stay there as a possibly permanent hitbox (The reason I say possibly is because to my knowledge, I am the only one to have encountered this phenomena, and sadly, it was in a tourny match, it didn't hit the opponent, so the Snake just threw a grenade at me after about 5-10 sec.), along with all the other glitches this stage has in general.

Also, why is this in the Mario boards?

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea why this is in the mario boards, i created it on the kirby boards and then it was moved here to the tactical section for a better fit.
And yes Brinstar may be glitchy, but i found it to be the easiest place to test this with all the characters listed. What i want to do is get a research effort going to see what other stages this can be done on and done pretty consistently...

Top Bottom